Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
mockbee

Re: Coronavirus

#581 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am

okay...... i've had about enough of this.......corona can go FUCK OFF!!!!
:waits: :ax: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :balls: :balls: :drink:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:noclue:

:mediate:

Hype

#582 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 am

mockbee wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am
okay...... i've had about enough of this.......corona can go FUCK OFF!!!!
:waits: :ax: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :jasper: :balls: :balls: :drink:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:noclue:

:mediate:
They just renewed the emergency powers in Ontario, Canada for another month. It was kind of expected, but I think a lot of people still haven't quite digested what this means. It means the police can fine you a minimum of $800 just for being in a group of more than 5 people in public, or for bringing your kids to any public or private property outdoors for any reason that isn't a necessity (i.e., medical or food). It means they can arrest you. They can enter your house without a warrant "on reasonable suspicion of a violation of the act" -- i.e., if they think you're congregating in your own house.

The older generation seems to have more difficulty with this than the younger generation, I think because it's harder to break habits the older you get. But either way, it's not great. And I think planners know this, on some level. They've (and the Prime Minister has also) said as much out loud. So, probably what will happen is that they'll hope that the numbers go down enough to justify doing *something* -- they'll slightly relax some of the restrictions, but keep the majority of it in place, and we may see the numbers go back up again. :bored:

Pandemonium

#583 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am

The good and the bad.....

We're pretty screwed here at home. The water damage is going to necessitate ripping out the walls up to about 3 feet from the floor as well as all the flooring in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room, basically almost half the house just like last time. The whole kitchen will be gutted and rebuilt. We won't have a oven, stove and laundry while this is being done and it will probably take a couple months. Fortunately it's insured although we have a $1,000 deductible.

We're now all out of work along with our son stuck in the house. Thus it becomes the whole quarantine-in-house/stay at home issue. There's no open hotels to put us up in while this is being done, so we're stuck in the house where we can't cook and do laundry and of course plumber, remediation and contractor workers will have to be in and out of the house while work is being done for probably a month plus going forward. This morning a guy who has to test the walls and floor for lead and asbestos content before work can begin showed up in full moon suit hazmat regalia, totally freaking out my neighbors.

Speaking of hotels, at least one I talked to was apparently taken over "temporarily" by local government to house local homeless people. The guy said within just a couple weeks several rooms were rendered uninhabitable due to people actually shitting in the rooms on the floor instead of using the toilets among other unsanitary practices. He currently doesn't know who or how his building is eventually going to be cleaned up due to some insurance clause due to the state taking over the place.

On the plus side, we got the government stimulus $2,400 in our account last night. Financially, we're ok for a few months,my wife got a decent severance package, but the issue is going to be insurance coverage. COBRA which basically extends our current insurance which was originally part of my wife's work benefits is about $2k a month.

mockbee

#584 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 am

They just renewed the emergency powers in Ontario, Canada for another month. It was kind of expected, but I think a lot of people still haven't quite digested what this means. It means the police can fine you a minimum of $800 just for being in a group of more than 5 people in public, or for bringing your kids to any public or private property outdoors for any reason that isn't a necessity (i.e., medical or food). It means they can arrest you. They can enter your house without a warrant "on reasonable suspicion of a violation of the act" -- i.e., if they think you're congregating in your own house.

The older generation seems to have more difficulty with this than the younger generation, I think because it's harder to break habits the older you get. But either way, it's not great. And I think planners know this, on some level. They've (and the Prime Minister has also) said as much out loud. So, probably what will happen is that they'll hope that the numbers go down enough to justify doing *something* -- they'll slightly relax some of the restrictions, but keep the majority of it in place, and we may see the numbers go back up again. :bored:

Yeah, I'm doing actually quite well personally, compared to what other people are experiencing.....not even counting people directly affected by the virus, including the sick, the families, direct responders, business owners etc.

Just the uncertainty is really weird. I am not a forward looking person, needing a plan, etc, but I assume other people have a plan that I can adapt to. I understand why there can't be "a plan" until people figure out what the hell is going on, but we've been "waiting" months.......yeah, yeah what else to do.... :balls:

Days just slip into other days and seems all you really do is look forward to meals and then it's bedtime then you do the same shit all over again..... :balls: :balls: :balls:

It's like a month(S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: ) long airplane flight, where you are in super first class, with all the meals and space and tv and entertainment you could ever hope for! Great at first, then you wonder.....WHEN THE HELL IS THIS FLIGHT OVER WITH!!!!!

People are getting weird too, nonresponsive, insular etc.....

blah...

I am going to go on a really long bike ride now...... :rockon:

mockbee

#585 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 am
The good and the bad.....

On the plus side, we got the government stimulus $2,400 in our account last night. Financially, we're ok for a few months,my wife got a decent severance package, but the issue is going to be insurance coverage. COBRA which basically extends our current insurance which was originally part of my wife's work benefits is about $2k a month.
Wow, that is not enviable..... have to have a good sense of humor on that one....... :tiphat:

COBRA is a joke, unless you are a cancer patient or on dialysis or some other crazy expensive care...... For regular working folks, it's a bankrupter (or a non-starter)...... :noclue: :no:

Hype

#586 Post by Hype » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:48 am

It's like prison. According to some sources, it takes about a year to acclimatize to the institutionalized lifestyle, after which point, for quite a few it's less punishment and more the new normal. That's also why prisoners tend to create their own culture. It's a real problem for retribution-based theories of punishment. But, the good news is that the same psychological trick that makes institutionalization a weak punishment after about a year also allows us to handle pretty much anything the universe throws at us, so long as enough of it involves regularities. It's just a matter of lasting long enough without cracking.

See, e.g.: https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/prisonization/

I think it's a more general psychological phenomenon (in fact, a lot of continental philosophy has written about stuff that I think is probably relevant -- Jaspers, Deleuze, etc.)

We'll see what happens if this continues.

Pandemonium

#587 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Now it’s just becoming dark comedy. I rigged up the washer to basically run on an extended pair of water lines outside the laundry room and drain on my driveway and the first time I ran a load the washer started leaking like a sieve from the underside. Cue a dinnertime drive around town trying to find an open laundromat (most are closed) to run and dry a soaked , heavy trash bag of clothes. Gonna need a new washer.

mockbee

#588 Post by mockbee » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:24 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm
Now it’s just becoming dark comedy. I rigged up the washer to basically run on an extended pair of water lines outside the laundry room and drain on my driveway and the first time I ran a load the washer started leaking like a sieve from the underside. Cue a dinnertime drive around town trying to find an open laundromat (most are closed) to run and dry a soaked , heavy trash bag of clothes. Gonna need a new washer.
Your juju is no good .... :conf: ..... :hehe:

At least it isn't like the devil's juju with all irreparable problems and tragedy...... :noclue:

Larry B.

#589 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:26 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm
That's just ridiculous. :conf:

Maybe just start wearing toilet paper, surely one of your neighbours will sell for just $150 per roll.

Charles

#590 Post by Charles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 pm
Pandemonium wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am
My wife was let go today. Her company is likely going to file bankruptcy.
An added kick in the nuts, it looks like the water line that runs in the wall behind the kitchen sink area cracked or something, our kitchen flooded ruining the flooring in the kitchen and laundry room. A similar thing happened around 2011 and we had to live in a hotel for almost 6 month while everything was fixed.
If it makes you feel any better, on this same day our water heater blew in our rental. Water was wall to wall all over the kitchen floor. Almost ruined the wood floors throughout the house. I was able to turn off the water main at the curb. If we were not home, there would have been a lot of water damage and our valuables ruined. Crazy times...

Anyways, hang in there Pandemonium!

Charles

#591 Post by Charles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Hype wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:48 am
It's like prison. According to some sources, it takes about a year to acclimatize to the institutionalized lifestyle, after which point, for quite a few it's less punishment and more the new normal. That's also why prisoners tend to create their own culture. It's a real problem for retribution-based theories of punishment. But, the good news is that the same psychological trick that makes institutionalization a weak punishment after about a year also allows us to handle pretty much anything the universe throws at us, so long as enough of it involves regularities. It's just a matter of lasting long enough without cracking.

See, e.g.: https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/prisonization/

I think it's a more general psychological phenomenon (in fact, a lot of continental philosophy has written about stuff that I think is probably relevant -- Jaspers, Deleuze, etc.)

We'll see what happens if this continues.
Interesting..

Pandemonium

#592 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am

Charles wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:09 pm
If it makes you feel any better, on this same day our water heater blew in our rental. Water was wall to wall all over the kitchen floor. Almost ruined the wood floors throughout the house. I was able to turn off the water main at the curb. If we were not home, there would have been a lot of water damage and our valuables ruined. Crazy times...

Anyways, hang in there Pandemonium!

Thanks. Did the water seep into any walls? Because that's a surefire way to quickly get black mold, especially with a hot water heater spill.

farrellgirl99

#593 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am

Hey everybody. I haven’t read any of this thread yet but wanted to say I hope everyone and their families are staying safe.

NYC has been crazy as I’m sure everybody knows. So far everyone I know has stayed healthy which is a blessing, but basically no one has been leaving our homes for over a month. But it has gone from hearing sirens every 5 minutes (literally) to a bit less than that so hopefully we are making some progress.

Edit: I do know people who have had family members die etc so I don’t want to minimize that this is very serious and affecting all. Even those who have been lucky so far are experiencing a lot of anxiety and fear. If it hasn’t hit where you live yet please just be smart and take into account every precaution you can.

I’ve been working from home for a month and happy to still have my job. I work for the city and hoping we do not get furloughed in the future bc the city’s tax revenue will be taking about a $7-10 billion hit.

It’s scary out there and has been quite an experience being in the epicenter (and working for the city and seeing some of the inner chaotic workings of response). Can only hope for better days going forward. Take care all!

Larry B.

#594 Post by Larry B. » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Good to know you’re fine, do everything you can so that it stays that way. Lots of love for you.

creep
Site Admin

#595 Post by creep » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:18 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am

I’ve been working from home for a month and happy to still have my job. I work for the city and hoping we do not get furloughed in the future bc the city’s tax revenue will be taking about a $7-10 billion hit.
:wave:

I'm a city worker too now and am a little concerned about the same thing. Even though my job is considered essential I'm still one of the newer people out there. I still have to go to work three days a week and I work from home one day. If I was working from home every day I would be going crazy. It's nice to get out of the house to go to work.

mockbee

#596 Post by mockbee » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am
Hey everybody. I haven’t read any of this thread yet but wanted to say I hope everyone and their families are staying safe.

NYC has been crazy as I’m sure everybody knows. So far everyone I know has stayed healthy which is a blessing, but basically no one has been leaving our homes for over a month. But it has gone from hearing sirens every 5 minutes (literally) to a bit less than that so hopefully we are making some progress.

Edit: I do know people who have had family members die etc so I don’t want to minimize that this is very serious and affecting all. Even those who have been lucky so far are experiencing a lot of anxiety and fear. If it hasn’t hit where you live yet please just be smart and take into account every precaution you can.

It’s scary out there and has been quite an experience being in the epicenter (and working for the city and seeing some of the inner chaotic workings of response). Can only hope for better days going forward. Take care all!
Hey there! Glad to hear you and your immediate peoples are doing okay.... :wave:

I remember you got a job with the city a couple years ago after a stint with Americorps, also glad to hear you still have employment..The City/State/Fed is the best place to be at the moment.....

I can't imagine being in NYC at the moment. I had a 250 sf place in East Harlem about 20 years ago, can't even begin to imagine if that was now...... :scared:
My thoughts are with everyone there. :tiphat:

Post more often if it helps with coping.... :wiggle: :thumb:

clickie

#597 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:41 pm

I was wondering if Farrellgirl was still alive, Romeo and Essence too. Good to hear not everyone in New York wasnt completely blown out by this thing.

clickie

#598 Post by clickie » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:45 pm

I forgot Tubro he's a new yorker too i'm pretty sure

farrellgirl99

#599 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 am

not blown out yet lol :cool: i dont use my laptop anymore so i forgot about this board for a bit :bigrin:

yeah i actually work in emergency management for the school system, so before we shut down march 16th, it was just madness because the guidance was just to close down specific schools for 24 hours if a positive case was found so it was kind of like trying to whack a mole for 1,800 buildings - entirely unsustainable. the government was caught so unprepared it was crazy.

i never thought i would ever be working from home - it was always strictly against City policy for employees to work from home as long as the City was open aka always. even if we had 2 feet of snow, i had to go to work.But for social distancing, basically over 60% of the City workforce is at home.

I feel most lucky to be avoiding the subway right now, as that seems to have been a huge disseminator of the disease. the last few days i was riding the subway i didnt have a mask and it was just so eerie and a true challenge not to touch anything. so far, i think 60 transit employees have died so far - its just terrible.

whenever we reopen, i am not looking forward to going back on the trains, but i guess it will just be a matter of getting used to everything again. i feel like a fucking weird hermit already and it's only been a month. the psychological aspect of not going outside and interacting with people is wild.

mockbee

#600 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 am

whenever we reopen, i am not looking forward to going back on the trains, but i guess it will just be a matter of getting used to everything again. i feel like a fucking weird hermit already and it's only been a month. the psychological aspect of not going outside and interacting with people is wild.
Yes, it certainly is.....it is weird to be out on the sidewalk or park path and see people ahead and think...stay away from me.....why aren't they moving out of the way to the side??
(Well...to be honest...thats what I've always thought..... :hehe: )
And then I end up rummaging through the bushes or the grass....
:sad: :dunce: :hs:
What are we supposed to be doing out there...... :noclue:

Hopefully you can get out sometimes for fresh air and change of scenery. Do you have a park close by?

mockbee

#601 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 am

clickie wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:45 pm
I forgot Tubro he's a new yorker too i'm pretty sure
There's bman too, he's around though regularly singing the praises if Jane's.. :bigrin:
Also, hasn't been around in a while, there was LJF, he was in Jersey but worked downtown/Wall St I think....

Hype

#602 Post by Hype » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 am

It's interesting how confusing this is. Canadian health officials have tried to clarify it, because people were asking questions like: "Can I have a beer with my neighbour if we stay six feet apart?"

It seems that everyone is trying to figure out what the maximal extent of socializing is that is "permissible", despite the fact that that sort of misses the point. All interactions with other people will introduce some level of risk of spreading this thing. Officials are trying to minimize this as much as possible with as little legal enforcement as possible. The answer, by the way was: the current emergency law says that police can only fine/stop you from congregating in groups of 5 or more, so they can't stop you from having a beer with your neighbour. But that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Of course you can talk to your neighbours, but the recommendation is to stay indoors and not socialize as much as you can possibly manage.

It's as if people want a list of all the things that are not permitted and all the things that are permitted, so that anything not on those lists is tacitly permitted and they can just go for it.

It's difficult to figure out what exactly is reasonable.

Matz

#603 Post by Matz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:11 am

the curve will tell us

mockbee

#604 Post by mockbee » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 am

Matz wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:11 am
the curve will tell us
Then it's too late.... :noclue:

I figure there is a medium people will/can tolerate and everybodies definition is different. And that will be how it has to be, no matter the "enforced" restrictions. Everyone has a diffent definition of what is proper. Amd im not even considering the morons who are taking no precautions. ....
:essence:

Some people wipe down their groceries and sterilize their masks (and wear them).....but go to the store regularly.... :hs:

Some people don't go out of the house, but get takeout all the time instead of making food.... :hs:

I really havent been to the store (any store) in 3 weeks, and only drive once a week to provide company for my mom (safety/loneliness issue)....but I did go to the hardware store a couple days ago, because I was stuck in my projects otherwise. ... :noclue:

Do what you gotta do, and try to be informed of the "facts"....i guess. :noclue:

Mescal

#605 Post by Mescal » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am

I just go to work everyday.

I'm fine ...

Oh, and I don't wear a mouth mask