Coronavirus

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Pandemonium

Re: Coronavirus

#261 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm

kv wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:31 pm
Cali's gov just said 56% of Cali will have it in 8 weeks...fun!
The thing about that number is, most of us won't be able to get tested and ever know for sure unless we're exhibited strong symptoms.

Hype

#262 Post by Hype » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:35 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm
kv wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:31 pm
Cali's gov just said 56% of Cali will have it in 8 weeks...fun!
The thing about that number is, most of us won't be able to get tested and ever know for sure unless we're exhibited strong symptoms.
You'll know it by the ... trail of dead.

creep
Site Admin

#263 Post by creep » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:40 am

mockbee wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:43 am
creep wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 am
We had a meeting yesterday with about 20 people announcing that there will be no more meetings and instructing us to keep our distance. We then had a meeting after lunch showing us how to disinfect stuff. A few hours later we had a meeting about the shelter in place recommendation and how we are going to handle it.

We are not doing very well with this no meeting thing. :conf:
Leave it to the City..... :tiphat:
Or are you County?

:banana:
city....actually they have been pretty good about it. like i said before we have to work so we are going to three 10 hour days a week and we are working with just two people a day. they are still paying us the same. one of my coworkers is 67 and he was sent home with pay until it i over.

clickie

#264 Post by clickie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 am

I've heard from multiple sources that Illinois will be shutting it all down within the next 2-3 days.

Artemis

#265 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:17 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:58 pm
. The other thing I noticed, it's mostly older, elderly people still out and about.
All the supermarkets and drugstores here are designating their first hour or two from opening for seniors and people with mobility/disability issues so that they can shop without crowds and waiting in long lines to pay.

chaos

#266 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am

Artemis wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:17 am
Pandemonium wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:58 pm
. The other thing I noticed, it's mostly older, elderly people still out and about.
All the supermarkets and drugstores here are designating their first hour or two from opening for seniors and people with mobility/disability issues so that they can shop without crowds and waiting in long lines to pay.
The same thing is happening here.

chaos

#267 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:42 am

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/5-year-o ... /31783135#

Hogan signs emergency COVID-19 legislation as 5-year-old tests positive

WBAL Updated: 6:37 AM EDT Mar 20, 2020
Jenny Fulginiti Digital Editor
Kate Amara Reporter
Lisa Robinson I-Team Reporter
By Tre Ward

ANNAPOLIS, Md. —
Gov. Larry Hogan announced Thursday that the state has reached 107 positive cases of the coronavirus. One of the cases includes a 5-year-old girl from Howard County -- the first confirmed case for a child in Maryland.
. . .
The girl is a student at Elkridge Elementary School. She's recovering at home and health officials said others at the school are not at risk, Howard County officials announced in the afternoon.

"Among today's new cases is a 5-year-old girl in Howard County, who tested positive for coronavirus -- the first case of a child contracting the disease in Maryland," Hogan said.

While leaders said the 5-year-old girl was not exposed to any students or staff at Elkridge Elementary School, local leaders are calling for new changes to slow down the spread of the virus.

"And it's just the concern. There's a lot of questions,” said resident Karen Kushman.
. . .

chaos

#268 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am

RACHEL MADDOW
Seven states doing surprisingly little to curb spread of coronavirus

Rachel Maddow reports that according to the National Governors Association, seven states have not issued any state-wide mandates about the size of gatherings, restaurants and bars, or closing schools to help prevent the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
March 18, 2020

Last edited by chaos on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

chaos

#269 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:48 am

Here is an alphabetical list of what is going on in each state:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 56419.html

mockbee

#270 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:02 am

It will be interesting to see what happens where.
How effective/not effective measures are in each state and whether that dampens contagion. Policy is one thing, people's actions are another. :noclue:

Oregon is not going forward with shelter-in-place.

It's hard to tell whether people are taking it seriously or not, as the news is just more reporting on policy.
Most stores, outside of groceries are closed though.
Including all restaurants/bars, only take-out is open.

mockbee

#271 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 am

Part of the problem without a government/state mandate, each business is supposed to make a decision to remain open or not without knowing what is broadly going on in the community.
For some of these businesses, it is a death sentence if they close for an indefinite amount of time.....

If anyone knows Powell's books (largest independent bookstore in the world).
More than one-million books, 3,500 sections - 68,000 sf of bookshelves over a city block of retail, opened in 1970.
They are closed, and will likely be closed permanently....

They were running on a shoestring budget for a while with Amazon.

chaos

#272 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:59 pm

Foraging update:

Not one roll of toilet paper in sight.
No frozen vegetables except for cauliflower. No frozen fruit except for cherries.
No garlic. (I haven't seen any for two weeks.)

I'm okay with supplies, but I have been stocking up on cat food and cat litter. I have two fussy senior cats with health issues.

The stores have been restocking, but I need to go out earlier in the day if I need any high demand items.

Artemis

#273 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:48 pm

chaos wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:59 pm
Foraging update:
The stores have been restocking, but I need to go out earlier in the day if I need any high demand items.
:nod: Each day this week I went out earlier and earlier to find stuff. Today I've been in all day, no shopping.

Artemis

#274 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm

:mad: I wish that orange turd would STFU!!
No information is better than wrong information and lies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e=facebook
Trump’s eruption at an NBC reporter says it all about his alternate reality on coronavirus

By
Aaron Blake
March 20, 2020 at 1:53 p.m. EDT

President Trump on Friday excoriated an NBC reporter for pressing him on whether he was being overly optimistic about the government’s ability to deliver drugs to treat the coronavirus. But the exchange epitomized just how out of tune Trump is with actual developments and his top health officials.

At the daily news briefing, Trump played up the promise of a malaria drug to possibly treat the coronavirus. He was asked about its application to other similar diseases like severe acute respiratory syndrome, for which he said he thought the drug had been “fairly effective."

But then Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s leading immunologist, stepped in to qualify things.

“You’ve got to be careful when you say ‘fairly effective,’” Fauci told Fox News’s John Roberts. “It was never done in a clinical trial that compared it to anything. It was given to individuals and felt that maybe it works.”

In the next exchange, NBC’s Peter Alexander noted that Trump had said the day before about some of the drugs “we’re in really good shape on, and that’s for immediate delivery — immediate — like as fast as we can get it.”

Trump watered that down somewhat Friday, acknowledging there is a process to approving drugs for the new purpose. But he added, “I am a man that comes from a very positive school when it comes to, in particular, one of these drugs.” He added: “People may be surprised by the way there would be a game-changer."

Alexander noted that Fauci has sung a very different tune on this topic, though, saying here is no “magic drug.” Alexander suggested Trump might agree, but before he could finish his question, Trump cut in.

“Well,” Trump said, “you know I think we only disagree a little bit. I disagree. Maybe and maybe not. Maybe there is; maybe there isn’t. We have to see."

Alexander countered: “Is it possible that your impulse to put a positive spin on things, may be giving Americans a false sense of hope?”

“No, I don’t think so,” Trump said.

Alexander noted it was not yet an approved drug.

“Such a lovely question,” Trump shot back. He tried to say he agreed with Fauci — despite what he had said just a moment before — but then again offered a more optimistic tone than the doctor has about the drug.

“I feel good about it. That’s all it is — just a feeling. [I’m a] smart guy,” Trump said, adding: “We have nothing to lose. You know the expression: What the hell do you have to lose?"

Alexander responded with what might seem like an innocuous question: “What do you say to Americans who are scared, though? Nearly 200 dead. Fourteen thousand are sick. Millions, as you witness, who are scared right now. What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?”

Trump erupted.

“I say that you’re a terrible reporter; that’s what I say,” Trump said. “I think it’s a very nasty question. And I think it’s a very bad signal that you’re putting out to the American people. The American people are looking for answers, and they’re looking for hope. And you’re doing sensationalism."

He added: “Let me just say something: That’s really bad reporting. And you want to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism. Let’s see if it works. It might and it might not. I happen to feel good about it, but who knows? I’ve been right a lot."

But here’s the thing: Alexander rightly noted that Trump was saying something that medical experts like Fauci have strained to avoid — that this drug could be the kind of “game-changer” Trump actually volunteered that he disagreed with that and said it might be. There is a real difference in what they are saying, and it’s completely fair for a reporter to ask Trump to account for that.

There’s also the backstory here. Trump has, in fact, repeatedly made statements about things that lay ahead in the fight against the coronavirus, and they often haven’t panned out. To wit:

-He said of the malaria drug, “We’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. That’s where the FDA has been so great. They’ve gone through the approval process. It’s been approved. … So we’re going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states.” FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn later -clarified that the drug was only approved for malaria.
-He has said health industry leaders agreed to waive all costs of coronavirus treatments, when in fact they only agree to waive co-payments.
-He has said Google was developing a website for the coronavirus and had 1,700 people working on it, but that was apparently news to Google.
-He has oversold the ability to deliver masks and ventilators to health-care professionals, relative to other officials.
-He said two hospital ships were being dispatched to help, but we later learned they were weeks away and wouldn’t be helping with the coronavirus, but rather other illnesses.

While Trump may not be downplaying the coronavirus as much as he used to, he sure is overplaying some of the measures that can be used to combat it. Alexander was right to press him on that point, and Trump’s eruption at him for pointing out the mixed messages between Trump and Fauci really says it all.

Trump told Alexander he was putting out a “very bad signal” to the American people, but Alexander was simply noting that the signal Trump is emitting was on a much more optimistic frequency than Fauci seems to desire.

Trump has long had a tendency to oversell things as president, which perhaps owes to his history as a salesman and a showman. But this is precisely the time when health officials caution against over-selling things. And Trump losing his temper over a reporter trying to inject some realism into the situation — which Trump has likened to a war — doesn’t exactly suggest he’s making cold, calculated decisions.

But Trump seems almost immune to bad news on the coronavirus; he also cut off another reporter earlier this week who said the economy had “ground to a halt."

“Thanks for telling us,” Trump said sarcastically. “We appreciate it.”

It’s also important to note what happened earlier Friday: We found out one of Alexander’s colleagues at NBC News had died of the coronavirus. This was a completely fair time for a reporter from that organization to be asking about people being scared. Instead, Trump lashed out and derided NBC as “ConCast.”

Alexander asked the same question of Vice President Pence later. Pence’s response: "I would say do not be afraid; be vigilant.”

mockbee

#275 Post by mockbee » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Trump is being a complete moron.

He can totally manipulate and effectively persuade a situation involving a person/politician without a whole lot of effort.

But he can't persuade a virus. It is what it is and you have to react to it. Not bully it into submission.
:crazy:

Bandit72

#276 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:00 pm

The shit has just hit the fan here.

The UK, today/tonight has closed schools, bars, pubs, clubs, restaurants, cinemas you name it, it’s closed. Army is ready for deployment in London and one hospital has reached a critical level already.

Stay safe everyone.

chaos

#277 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Artemis wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm
:mad: I wish that orange turd would STFU!!
No information is better than wrong information and lies.
The press briefings are difficult to watch. The press should just stop wasting their time and forgo them. They should seek out the experts who have have been correcting (while standing next to him at the podium :lol: ). He stands up there babbling nonsense and contradicting himself as well as the officials/doctors he has chosen to bring with him.

And he has toned things down. :eyes:

Make
America
Sane (or saner)
Again

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... virus-poll

Majority of Americans now say they approve of Trump's handling of coronavirus: poll
BY MARTY JOHNSON - 03/20/20 09:12 AM EDT

The majority of Americans now approve of President Trump's handling of the coronavirus pandemic, a reversal from just one week prior, according to a new Ipsos/ABC News poll.

Of those surveyed, 55 percent said that they approved of the president's handling of the situation, while 43 percent said they disapproved. The numbers were basically reversed from one week ago when 54 percent said they disapproved and 43 percent approved.

Trump's tone and approach to the outbreak has changed in recent weeks, with the president now appearing at daily briefings at the White House with his coronavirus task force. Trump said this week that he knew that COVID-19 was a pandemic before it was labeled as such by the World Health Organization, despite his previous rhetoric downplaying the severity of the virus.

chaos

#278 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Stay safe everyone.
^ :gh:

chaos

#279 Post by chaos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:18 pm

The coronavirus is killing far more men than women

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... han-women/

Matz

#280 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 am

Some interesting thoughts in this I think.

Mescal

#281 Post by Mescal » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:39 am

mockbee wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:52 pm
Trump is being a complete moron.

He can totally manipulate and effectively persuade a situation involving a person/politician without a whole lot of effort.

But he can't persuade a virus. It is what it is and you have to react to it. Not bully it into submission.
:crazy:
Yeah, you Americans are fucked ....

Larry B.

#282 Post by Larry B. » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:58 am

In Chile, the dictator and his Minister of Health have done very little. They closed the schools... and that’s it.

So most of the Mayors in the country had a chat and requested/demanded a national lockdown, to stop the spread. The Minister of Health they were ‘out of their minds.’

So some Mayors have now taken matters into their own hands and will start municipal lockdowns. Last night, groups of civilians blocked the entrances to their municipalities.

So far, we have just under 500 cases, but testing has been slow. No deaths yet, but a few critical cases. A big problem has been infected people not respecting their quarantine. All of them have been from rich families, which furthers our current social conflict. One of them crashed his Jaguar whilst drunk a couple of days ago.

chaos

#283 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:08 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ronavirus/

One doctor’s straight talk about the coronavirus strikes a chord with anxious Americans

By Kim Bellware
March 20, 2020 at 8:42 p.m. EDT

As daily life undergoes rapid changes in response to the coronavirus outbreak and the death and infection total climb, a Chicago epidemiologist is drawing praise for her comments at a Friday news conference that outlined with clarity and urgency how seemingly small sacrifices today will prevent deaths of loved ones and strangers next week.

Emily Landon, the chief infectious disease epidemiologist at University of Chicago Medicine, took the lectern after Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D), who on Friday afternoon announced that the state would undergo a stay-at-home order for 2½ weeks starting Saturday evening.

“The healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable,” Landon said. She acknowledged that restrictions like a shelter-in-place may end up feeling “extreme” and “anticlimactic” — and that’s the point.

“It’s really hard to feel like you’re saving the world when you’re watching Netflix from your couch. But if we do this right, nothing happens,” Landon said. “A successful shelter-in-place means you’re going to feel like it was all for nothing, and you’d be right: Because nothing means that nothing happened to your family. And that’s what we’re going for here.”

Landon’s comments were less than 10 minutes of the nearly hour-long news conference, but they quickly made an impression on listeners and drew praise for their clarity and sense of empowerment while still conveying the urgency of the moment.

mockbee

#284 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 am

The uncertainty is the worst part. :wavesad:

It looks like we are going to have an official "ban" on any public activity that is unnecessary. Bars, restaurants and schools were already closed last week. It's not as stringent as California, which is hard to make sense of. What does "ban" mean anyways? It would seem to imply there are repercussions but that is unclear. I don't think there are repercussions in California for defying orders, or are there?

There needs to be an initial timeframe set on the orders. Businesses are reeling with the uncertainty. I'm not an ardent capitalist, but I can see how this will smash our social/economic order to smithereens if this drags on past a week or two without a plan in place....maybe a plan will surface early next week with the releif package, but so far it has just been chaos.
:noclue:

My biggest direct problem to date is that my trip to WA had to be cancelled and the DEQ is closed so I can't get my truck tested and my tags expire in a couple weeks....

I feel pretty darn lucky....
:tiphat:

mockbee

#285 Post by mockbee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:24 am

Friday afternoon announced that the state would undergo a stay-at-home order for 2½ weeks starting Saturday evening.

I wish they would say that here, or if say there was a competent leader in charge, he would defer to health officials and urge states to set this timeframe in place and say we would reassess after that what to do next. Imagine that, it would set so many people at ease to have an actual plan.

:banghead: