clickie

Re: 2020 US Racial/Political Protests and Riots

#161 Post by clickie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 am

mockbee wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:49 am
Feds left two nights ago.

Violence stopped two nights ago.

Thank God....

Hope it stays that way. It's precarious because We have been lucky that the protester (anarchist) fires/tearing down of fences/etc has been shouted down and spoken out against by BLM sympathizers when starting up at night as well. Very tenuous state.

We have a gigantic mess to clean up. :balls:

Doesn't really look like it's close to being over

Xizen47

#162 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am

Nope, it's even moving into residential neighborhoods now

Good job Portland

https://nypost.com/2020/08/09/portland- ... ith-paint/

77 years old

mockbee

#163 Post by mockbee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:46 am

To be clear a lot of these people (anarchist agitators) are not "from" Portland. Maybe they are familiar with Portland but they roam around the West and just show up where it looks like titillating "newsworthy" trouble will take place, and then instigate it. It is key that they have the implicit backing of the city politicians who stifle police actions though. And it is the politicians who are "answering" to the notion that the local population would not support police actions with the narrative of politicians supporting a police state.

So yeah, Portland is a bunch of numbskulls, but isn't starting this shit.....

Just my opinion. But the biggest/best move BLM could take at this point is show up at these rallys and overpower these asshole anarchist/antifa folks with chanting and overwhelming force, telling them to knock it off and go home Let antifa instigate violence against BLM. That would be something and would endear massive nationwide support toward BLM.

Also, I understamd that BLM is a fluid organization and no one can claim to lead it. But I am pretty sure that 95% of the movement would agree that burning down police stations and violently attacking police is not helpful.

:noclue:

nausearockpig

#164 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 pm

Maybe I missed the posts elsewhere about the Jacob Blake shooting, subsequent riots and that piece of shit that killed three people protesting about the Blake shooting??

kv

#165 Post by kv » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 pm

The right loves that kid now..."Kyle is a good boy! He wants to be a cop" :jasper:

nausearockpig

#166 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

kv wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 pm
The right loves that kid now..."Kyle is a good boy! He wants to be a cop" :jasper:
Yeah, wanton murder....

Xizen47

#167 Post by Xizen47 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Yeah, wanton murder....
Unprovoked? :noclue:

In no way justifying what that idiot kid did, but if no one attacked him, no one would have died. That was a mob attacking a stupid kid who was holding an AR-15.

Did millennials miss the lesson about playing with fire? :sonny:

nausearockpig

#168 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am
nausearockpig wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Yeah, wanton murder....

In no way justifying what that idiot kid did, but if no one attacked him, no one would have died. That was a mob attacking a stupid kid who was holding an AR-15.

I wonder if he hadn’t gone to “help the police” had the people he murdered died? Also, wasn’t he underage to have a gun?

People of the USA NEED to step up and admit that they don’t NEED guns like AR15 assault rifles. Of course it will never happen because personal rights are more important than other people’s’ lives. Good fucking luck.

SR

#169 Post by SR » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 pm

The US is beyond repair. Rome has burned

nausearockpig

#170 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah I think it will only get progressively worse as time passes.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#171 Post by Hokahey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Did you guys forget about the 60s?

This is a painful yet pivotal moment of growth. And we will grow.

Pandemonium

#172 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Xizen47 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am

As usual, there’s a lot more to this story then what’s being generally reported as more video, photos and information about the three victims surface.

It appears the first person who was shot in the head was armed with a gun and first attacked Rittenhouse who was surrounded by several aggressive "protesters." Rittenhouse is seen firing at least one warning shot in the air which doesn't deter his attacker. Several more shots are fired resulting in the first person being shot in the head.

After that, Rittenhouse is being chased by a crowd of protesters down the street where he falls, one person attacks him with a skateboard and another appears to draw a gun to shot him. Both attackers are shot, the guy with the skateboard is hit in the chest killing him and the man with the gun who screams "medic! medic!" is wounded in the arm as seen in the photo below:

All three victims had serious criminal records ranging from sexual abuse of a minor to battery, none of whom should have been carrying weapons under any circumstances. The guy shot in the arm holding the gun was apparently a member of a marxist group called "People’s Revolution Movement." In such circumstances, self defense at least with the first shooting may become a credible argument.

On ther hand, the kid thought he was showing up that day to "save the neighborhood” by helping the community clean up and playing vigilante guarding businesses against looters that night. The Chief Of Police was specifically asked about requests to "deputize" some armed citizens to defend neighborhoods which he refused and then saying they'd have been liable for just this sort of outcome.

Obviously, there's a lot of unanswered questions such as why a 17 year old was allowed to get and openly carry an AR-15 (you have to be 18 to own such a weapon) in public while interacting with law enforcement throughout the day. Clearly a lot of bad decisions where made not just by Rittenhouse, but by violent protesters who thought it was a good idea to allegedly confront and attack the kid first leading to being shot. The result is 2 people dead, one seriously injured, one kid who's life and probably his family is utterly ruined.

It sucks big time that what should be peaceful protests are consistently turning into rioting and looting sprees and moving into residential areas. Clearly it was only a matter of time before this sort of violence was going to happen given the circumstances and the gigantic divide in this country. But at this point in the game, it's still down to police, national guard etc to control this shit, not teenagers armed with rifles looking for confrontations.

I may have said this already but when you have unrestrained violent protesting and rioting encouraged by political officials and the media, you're going to have outside, bad elements from all sides looking for trouble flooding into the region, just like in Portland, Seattle and Chicago and it inevitably leads to situations like this. And if you emasculate or eliminate the cops, it is going to be vigilantes and trouble makers everywhere.

clickie

#173 Post by clickie » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:21 am

The guy on the right was one the the two killed by the 17 teen year old, he was was closing in fast with a gun.

Here's the guy Panda posted with the gun in his right hand five feet away from executing the 17 year old before he got his arm made funny.

SR

#174 Post by SR » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 pm
Did you guys forget about the 60s
No, but what needs to be remembered is 2016-2020. The one thing I didn't predict (and I predicted everything except I thought he'd crash the stock market) is his influence on perception. The anti science/intellectualism and perseverance of a patently false narratives has stunned me. And with issues looming with deadlines such as climate change, pandemics, AI, and white supremacy, we are not positioned to combat them....at all. This isn't the 60's, unfortunately.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#175 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:11 pm

SR wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:37 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 pm
Did you guys forget about the 60s
No, but what needs to be remembered is 2016-2020. The one thing I didn't predict (and I predicted everything except I thought he'd crash the stock market) is his influence on perception. The anti science/intellectualism and perseverance of a patently false narratives has stunned me. And with issues looming with deadlines such as climate change, pandemics, AI, and white supremacy, we are not positioned to combat them....at all. This isn't the 60's, unfortunately.

It's a moment in time. A particularly tough one, but it is not the end of it all. There have been other tough periods. The progressive spirit always marches on.

SR

#176 Post by SR » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:38 pm

:rockon:

somethindalisomethin

#177 Post by somethindalisomethin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:46 pm

The difference is, in the 60's all the protesters were against the gov, especially Nixon. No one was in the streets supporting the gov like they are now.

Today these gun toting meatheads are protesting for the right to carry guns and for Donald and all his crazy beliefs.

It would be like if in the 60's there were huge amounts of protestors who were there to support Nixon and all his evil crap.

When Nixon resigned a lot of the turmoil and problems ended just like when Donald is forced to resign (by not being re-elected) a lot of the problems will end.

What I'm saying is virtually all the problems right now are because of Donald and his gov.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#178 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm

somethindalisomethin wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:46 pm
The difference is, in the 60's all the protesters were against the gov, especially Nixon. No one was in the streets supporting the gov like they are now.

Today these gun toting meatheads are protesting for the right to carry guns and for Donald and all his crazy beliefs.

It would be like if in the 60's there were huge amounts of protestors who were there to support Nixon and all his evil crap.

When Nixon resigned a lot of the turmoil and problems ended just like when Donald is forced to resign (by not being re-elected) a lot of the problems will end.

What I'm saying is virtually all the problems right now are because of Donald and his gov.
The counter protesters were too busy with their lynchings.

America is the most liberal/progressive it's ever been. If you think what's happening now is worse than the 60s then you need to crack a book.

Trump has magnified the worst of us. But those voting for him that are actual fascist/racist/evil make up a smaller segment of the populace than they would have at any time in the past.

I would suggest that the majority of his voters are single-issue Republicans. I know a lot of otherwise decent people that always vote straight Republican ticket because of abortion.

They're sadly voting for awful things while trying to vote against what they perceive as infanticide, but that's the nuance here.

The world will never be perfect. But believe it or not, its the best it's ever been.

nausearockpig

#179 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#180 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 pm
Would you say the US is the best it’s been for blacks and other minorities? I’m not poking, that’s a serious question to get your perspective.
I would say it undoubtedly is. Does it still need vast improvement? Absolutely. But it is definitely better than it's ever been.

There's a big fat magnifying glass on the racists/bigots/xenophobes, etc. But I'm confident there are fewer than ever.

kv

#181 Post by kv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm

I hate whenever this happens...I fully agree with hoka...obviously since trump was elected bigots have been empowered...so it's worse now than pre trump... but in general the best it's been...a long fucking ways to go though...which will require dying off of the old gens...in time we'll be mostly mixed and people will point and laugh at 2020 america

Hokahey
Site Admin

#182 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:44 pm

kv wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:36 pm
It's worse now than pre trump...
I do agree with this on some level. Mostly psychological. I think minorities are probably more stressed and worried than during the Obama presidency.

But I think from a very macro perspective it's a small blip backwards. And I think it will help usher in a more progressive era than ever.

Kids today are fucking pissed. This is another moment where good and decency will propel us further in to a better future.

chaos

#183 Post by chaos » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm

America is the most liberal/progressive it's ever been. If you think what's happening now is worse than the 60s then you need to crack a book.
It's not that simple.

The internet/social media etc has complicated things. There is misinformation, disinformation, propaganda, and doctored videos that go viral. And the circulation of this material is nothing compared to the calamitous consequence of it: people start to question the TRUTH.

Another big difference between the 60's and now is that there is a much more blatant disregard for the rules/statues/protocols for the way the US Government is supposed to function. One example is the statement made last week by the current Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, regarding the Hatch Act. He said "no one outside of the beltway really cares" about it. Another example is when the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, got into it during an interview with an NPR reporter back in January. She asked him some questions he did not like regarding Ukraine. He ended the interview, cursed at her, asked her "Do you think Americans care about Ukraine?" and then challenged her to find Ukraine on the map. My point is that many of the officials in Trump's orbit are banking on the fact that people are not only ignorant of governmental rules/statues/protocols, but that they won't care about them.

A lot of people who voted for Trump thought there were enough mechanisms (checks and balances) in place to keep him from doing much damage. As we have seen, particularly during this past year, they are being dismantled before everyone's eyes (akin to the frog slowly boiling to death).

Xizen47

#184 Post by Xizen47 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm
The world will never be perfect. But believe it or not, its the best it's ever been.
Truth! I'd urge anyone to check out "Enlightenment Now" by Steven Pinker. 2020/Covid aside, things are really the best theve ever been in practically every sense.

In fact one of the only things that's gotten statistically worse over the years is negative stories fed to us by the Media.

kv

#185 Post by kv » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:48 pm

And Perry called that over 30 years ago...the news is just another show...with sex and violence