George Floyd trial verdict - Poll: Will Chauvin be found guilty?

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc

Will Chauvin be found guilty?

Yes: Guilty of the most severe charges - second degree murder and 40 years in prison.
33%
Yes/No: Guilty of manslaughter, or lesser murder charge - and minimum prison sentence.
33%
No: He will be found not guilty of all charges.
No votes
Who knows: Could go any way.
33%

Total votes: 9

mockbee

George Floyd trial verdict - Poll: Will Chauvin be found guilty?

#1 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:50 am

So looks like trial wraps up on Monday, and then jury will deliberate.
It will be curious how long they deliberate.
The media/social media has covered this, like they do all trials and anything potentially sensational, in a way that I think guarantees riots and violence if the maximum conviction and sentence is not reached.
Not saying that would not be the right verdict, but the no room for nuance whatsoever is potentially explosive.

I want to be well aware of when the verdict is reached and be sure to be home. Last night parts of downtown Portland went up in flames once again, business' ransacked, Historical Society arson/severely vandalized because of the Daunte Wright killing.

Derek Chauvin trial: Jurors prepare to begin deliberations Monday
On Thursday, Judge Peter Cahill dismissed jurors until closing arguments begin on Monday morning, when they will be sequestered while they decide a verdict.

Author: Diane Sandberg (KARE11)
Published: 4:24 AM CDT April 16, 2021

MINNEAPOLIS —

The prosecution and defense rested their case Thursday morning, and all testimony is complete for the murder trial of Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd. The jury will return to the courtroom Monday morning to hear closing arguments and begin their deliberations.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree and third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in the May 25, 2020 death of George Floyd. Bystander video and police body camera footage showed the former Minneapolis police officer kneeling on Floyd for nine minutes and 29 seconds.

On Thursday morning, former Minneapolis police officer Chauvin chose to invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination and not take the stand in his defense.

Defense attorney Eric Nelson rested his case shortly after the jury entered the courtroom Thursday morning, and prosecutors from the state called Dr. Martin Tobin back to the stand as a rebuttal witness in response to Wednesday's testimony from Dr. David Fowler.

Tobin challenged Fowler's assertion that carbon monoxide exposure was a contributing factor in Floyd's death, saying that because the autopsy showed an oxygen saturation of 98%, the highest possible level of carbon monoxide would have been 2%.

RELATED: Medical expert called by defense says Floyd died from 'cardiac arrhythmia' during Chauvin's restraint

Judge Peter Cahill told the jury to return for closing arguments Monday with a bag packed for sequestration and deliberation. He told the jurors the length of deliberation is up to them, but suggested they "plan for long and hope for short."

In the meantime, the judge and attorneys will work to finalize the instructions that will be given to the jury on Monday to help guide them toward a fair verdict.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... -riot.html

kv

Re: George Floyd trial verdict - Poll: Will Chauvin be found guilty?

#2 Post by kv » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Hung jury

mockbee

#3 Post by mockbee » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 pm

Yea, forgot about mistrial. I'd lump that with "who knows"

I wonder if prosecution would dismiss, or defense would agree to plea bargin.....

:noclue:

I could not see prosecution doing another trial, it would be same result.....

I think it will be dismissed. :tiphat:

SR

#4 Post by SR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:22 am

Guilty

mockbee

#5 Post by mockbee » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Well, it's not going to be a hung jury/mistrial.........

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/20/us/d ... e=Homepage

kv

#6 Post by kv » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Gogo manslaughter

kv

#7 Post by kv » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:08 pm

Wow fuck yes!

mockbee

#8 Post by mockbee » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:24 pm

Wow.

That's heavy, and that's what it needed to be.
About time for some reckoning.

Wonder what cops really think....?
Sure, who cares, but they have expressed not being supported by local leaders and public and are leaving in droves here... :noclue:

SR

#9 Post by SR » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Finally. I thought this one would be a fast guilty across the board. Mentioned to wife this am to expect a verdict within hours.

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm

I was under the impression they were 3 different options for the jury to convict, not that they could convict Chauvin of (all) 3 levels of murder/manslaughter - I mean, he killed the one guy once.

Juana

#11 Post by Juana » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 pm

They charged him with all the counts that he should have been charged him and the jury did the right thing

chaos

#12 Post by chaos » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm
I was under the impression they were 3 different options for the jury to convict, not that they could convict Chauvin of (all) 3 levels of murder/manslaughter - I mean, he killed the one guy once.

In Minnesota they are three distinct crimes.

Brief descriptions:

2nd degree unintentional murder - unreasonable force when committing a *felony
*3rd degree murder - reckless disregard/indifference to life
2nd degree manslaughter - unreasonable risk/chose his actions while aware of risks

mockbee

#13 Post by mockbee » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm

Also, that's second degree murder. Very serious/obvious crime. It is obvious a felony is being committed, resulting in murder, even if unintentional.
There are three other officers charged, looks like they will be going down as well, if precedent stands. 9 minutes and 29 seconds is enough time to stop an obvious felony. :noclue:

Boy, Rodney King seems like a different lifetime ago......huh, about 30 years to the day....how the hell he survived that and Floyd didn't. The intent to harm/commit a felony by the cops involved is so, so different between the cases.... :scared:
I don't know if it played a part, but regardless, fentanyl is nasty stuff.....
After Chauvin, Minnesota set to prosecute three other officers in Floyd death
Reuters

Former Minneapolis police officers Derek Chauvin, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng pose in a combination of booking photographs from the Minnesota Department of Corrections and Hennepin County Jail in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. Minnesota Department of Corrections and Hennepin County Sheriff's Office/Handout via REUTERS.

With the conviction of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin in the death of George Floyd on Tuesday, prosecutors will begin turning their attention to making their case against three others who took part in the fatal arrest.

Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng and Thomas Lane, all of whom were fired and arrested days after Floyd died last May, face charges at a trial on Aug. 23 that they aided and abetted second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter of Floyd.

Aiding and abetting murder is punishable by up to 40 years in prison, although sentencing guidelines can reduce the maximum to 15 years.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/after- ... 021-04-20/
Second-degree murder is causing the death of a human being, without intent to cause that death, while committing or attempting to commit another felony. In this case, the alleged felony was third-degree assault. Chauvin is charged with committing or intentionally aiding in the commission of this crime.

To convict Chauvin on this count, Judge Peter Cahill told jurors they must find that the former officer intended to commit an assault that could cause bodily harm or intentionally aided in committing such an assault.

“It is not necessary for the state to prove the defendant had an intent to kill Floyd. But it must prove that the defendant committed, or attempted to commit, the underlying felony,” the judge said.

Cahill added that the state must prove that the assault either inflicted bodily harm on Floyd or was intended to commit bodily harm. That essentially could include loss of consciousness, the judge said.

“It is not necessary for the state to prove that the defendant intended to inflict substantial bodily harm, or knew that his actions would inflict substantial bodily harm, only that the defendant intended to commit the assault, and George Floyd sustained substantial bodily harm,” Cahill said.

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 am

I think I voted right this time

mockbee

#15 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am

Chauvin should not have been a cop, or he was definitely a bad cop. That's true.

Three other cops should now be convicted of accessory to second degree murder. They were well aware of Chauvin's history and it was obvious what he was doing at the time..

And with this verdict, looks like Minneapolis Police Department was well aware of this fact. But, didn't do anything about it. They're next...? The Mayor of Minneapolis is grappling with how to make it so.

Lots to consider... :scared:

‘Don’t Kill Me’: Others Tell of Abuse by Officer Who Knelt on George Floyd
Firsthand accounts accuse Derek Chauvin, the police officer who pressed his knee into George Floyd’s neck in Minneapolis, of using similar tactics on detainees over the years.

......Mr. Chauvin, who was fired, has said through his attorney that his handling of Mr. Floyd’s arrest was a reasonable use of authorized force. But he was the subject of at least 22 complaints or internal investigations during his more than 19 years at the department, only one of which resulted in discipline. These new interviews show not only that he may have used excessive force in the past, but that he had used startlingly similar techniques.....
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/us/d ... =undefined

mockbee

#16 Post by mockbee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 am

I don't think this case is over though. Looks like even the judge in the case agrees. That was a very quick verdict with the most harsh conviction. I wonder if all jurors really felt, based solely on the facts of the case, it was an obvious conclusion, or if any one of them expressed concern for their own, or their families safety, or understandably the safety of the general public. That would not be a fair trial.
I don't think there was a way to have a fair trial.

I could understand any of those sentiments and the decision to convict on all counts, and do not envy being one of those jurors.

There is a lot we dont know. :noclue:

Judge Peter Cahill conceded with Nelson that "Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned."

Cahill also said that he wished elected officials would stop referencing the case "especially in a manner that is disrespectful to the rule of law" so as to let the judicial process play out as intended.