Gadhafi is gonezors

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Larry B.

Re: Gadhafi is gonezors

#26 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:16 am

Bandit72 wrote:Thing is Larry, you don't have to be of superior intellect to ask questions or do a bit of research. I think people are more apathetic than stupid. And I guess mainstream media doesn't help matters as that pushes the naivety along.
Hmmm... actually, I do believe you have to be of superior intellect to do a bit of research. "Superior" as in "not-an-average-American". And apathy is a normal characteristic in people with low IQ.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the ... of_Nations

The US is ranked 31, with an average IQ of 98. The category says "High IQ", which is a load of bullshit, since 100 is actually the Normal intelligence point. And yes, the median of human beings have an IQ around 90. The median human being has an intelligence below normal. :crazy:

The world is shitty simply because it's filled with stupid, scientifically stupid people.

So, when you're a little smarter and question some things and theorize about some things, you're most likely considered a weirdo. Unless you have charisma, in which case you might be immediately considered a genius, and you will most likely end up shot by a religious whackjob, a fan with an endless hard-on or by some CIA agent. And they'll blame some Puerto Rican guy.

creep
Site Admin

#27 Post by creep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Larry B. wrote: The world is shitty simply because it's filled with stupid, scientifically stupid people.
like people that don't believe the world is ending next year?

Larry B.

#28 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote: The world is shitty simply because it's filled with stupid, scientifically stupid people.
Just for the record, I have NEVER said that the world is ending next year. I stated clearly that there's just going to be a nuclear war. I have a good bet on it.

creep
Site Admin

#29 Post by creep » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:
Just for the record, I have NEVER said that the world is ending next year. I stated clearly that there's just going to be a nuclear war. I have a good bet on it.
ok...i would love to call you out on your prediction on 1/1/13 but i really hope i'm not still posting on message boards then...but we know i will be.

Larry B.

#30 Post by Larry B. » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

creep wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
creep wrote:
ok...i would love to call you out on your prediction on 1/1/13 but i really hope i'm not still posting on message boards then...but we know i will be.
Yes. If you're alive, that is.

Pure Method

#31 Post by Pure Method » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm

IQ is pseudo-scientific, but actually, that's more in line with your worldview anyway.

Bandit72

#32 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 am

So, when you're a little smarter and question some things and theorize about some things, you're most likely considered a weirdo. Unless you have charisma, in which case you might be immediately considered a genius, and you will most likely end up shot by a religious whackjob, a fan with an endless hard-on or by some CIA agent. And they'll blame some Puerto Rican guy.
:lolol:

So true. If something isn't "scientific" and 40 books haven't been written on it it is regarded as complete shite.

Pure Method

#33 Post by Pure Method » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 am

:hehe:

Hype

#34 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am

Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Thing is Larry, you don't have to be of superior intellect to ask questions or do a bit of research. I think people are more apathetic than stupid. And I guess mainstream media doesn't help matters as that pushes the naivety along.
Hmmm... actually, I do believe you have to be of superior intellect to do a bit of research. "Superior" as in "not-an-average-American". And apathy is a normal characteristic in people with low IQ.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the ... of_Nations

The US is ranked 31, with an average IQ of 98. The category says "High IQ", which is a load of bullshit, since 100 is actually the Normal intelligence point. And yes, the median of human beings have an IQ around 90. The median human being has an intelligence below normal. :crazy:

The world is shitty simply because it's filled with stupid, scientifically stupid people.

That might be the stupidest, scientifically stupid thing you've ever said. And you've said a lot of stupid things. IQ and the Wealth of Nations is prima facie stupid --- you can't guesstimate the IQ of an entire nation and pretend it corresponds to some real fact about the collection of people who live there. Even if IQ were able to tell us anything other than a weak correlation with how far you go in school, it wouldn't tell us anything meaningful about a country. A country could have the smartest people on the planet, but if it has a terrible government that blocks people from doing cutting-edge work in some field, then it's a moot point. Even if the United States has a preponderance of stupid people in it, it also has a highly developed R&D and tech. sector, as well as massive amounts of funding for academic research. And quite frankly, I'm prone to agreeing with the view that there are a lot of stupid people in the United States, if only because I think all people, including intelligent people, are stupid, quite a lot of the time --- stupidity is, I believe, best understood as failing to act according to reasons one has (ignorance is less blameworthy since it is merely failure to recognize, or be exposed to, reasons), but this has nothing to do with IQ or whether the country as a whole is somehow "stupid".

But even if we granted the supposition that IQ measures some real thing called 'intelligence', 100 is not "the Normal intelligence point". There's no such thing as "normal intelligence". All intelligence is normal, because it's normally distributed. AVERAGE intelligence, however, is anywhere within one standard deviation of the mean (100), which is to say, between 85 and 115. So even if "IQ and the Wealth of Nations" were not an absolutely fraudelent piece of shit, 95 countries would, as a whole, be considered to have an average IQ that is AVERAGE (makes perfect sense, right?). Now, frankly, the other 90 nations listed can't possible have an average IQ that's below one standard deviation. Intelligence is normally distributed. Think about it.

Jesus fucking christ, Larry... you really ought to think more carefully before you utter libelous slurs against almost half the planet.

Pure Method

#35 Post by Pure Method » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am

it doesn't matter we are all gonna die when the mayans nuke as from the moon

Hype

#36 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 am

Pure Method wrote:it doesn't matter we are all gonna die when the mayans nuke as from the moon
I'm looking forward to Larry sending me a couple of books I've wanted for a while but can't afford. :nod:

Larry B.

#37 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:IQ and the Wealth of Nations is prima facie stupid --- you can't guesstimate the IQ of an entire nation and pretend it corresponds to some real fact about the collection of people who live there.
I just posted the link to provide that IQ scale, not to declare my agreement with that book or its contents :hs:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:There's no such thing as "normal intelligence". All intelligence is normal, because it's normally distributed. AVERAGE intelligence, however, is anywhere within one standard deviation of the mean (100), which is to say, between 85 and 115.
Well, there actually is such thing as "normal intelligence" (or, more properly, "normal IQ"), which is (basically) the IQ that allows you to perform determined tasks, to communicate properly (by your society's standards), to solve certain problems and to walk around without smashing your teeth against brick walls. And yes, the average IQ is within that standard deviation.
Adurentibus Spina wrote:Jesus fucking christ, Larry... you really ought to think more carefully before you utter libelous slurs against almost half the planet.
I believe that's precisely an issue... people DO have different mental capacities. I don't see anybody getting mad when someone says a group of scientists are geniuses (i.e., they have a higher IQ), but if I say a group of voters are stupid (i.e., they have a lower IQ), I'm somehow insulting people. Some people have an IQ of 67, others have an IQ of 190. Some people are better at math, other better at sports. Some people are brownish, some people are incredibly pale. What's the big deal? Most of the countries in this planet have basically the same average IQ, which most likely means that they have some averagely smart people, some below average and some above average. How is pointing that out a libelous slur?

You're Canadian. I'm Chilean. Your knowledge in philosophy is way deeper than mine. Is that supposed to be an insult for me? :hs:

Larry B.

#38 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Pure Method wrote:it doesn't matter we are all gonna die when the mayans nuke as from the moon
I'm looking forward to Larry sending me a couple of books I've wanted for a while but can't afford. :nod:
:lol:

You don't have US$20? :hs:

Hype

#39 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 am

Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

There are a couple of books I want that are well over $100 each. I could buy them, but I don't need them at the moment, and I can't justify spending a couple hundred dollars on books I don't need.

As for the rest... you misunderstood basically everything I said, which would seem kind of ironic if it weren't totally fitting. The "IQ scale" you linked to is precisely what I'm saying is stupid. Did you not even read the criticisms of their method? It wasn't based on actually tabulating IQ scores within a country and then somehow objectively comparing, it's entirely a post hoc fallacious assumption with shoddy methodology. There is no connection to reality for any of it. And what's more, even if it were based on actual data in every case, it still wouldn't follow that it tells us ANYTHING, for reasons I already explained.

There is no technical use for the phrase "normal IQ". Period. You can call whatever you want "normal IQ", but that doesn't mean anyone has to accept your definition. For fuck's sake, English isn't even your first language, so why are you trying to correct me on this?

You seem not to understand that the list of countries by IQ isn't based on real data... That's why it's libelous to draw conclusions from it.

Larry B.

#40 Post by Larry B. » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
Larry B. wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

There are a couple of books I want that are well over $100 each. I could buy them, but I don't need them at the moment, and I can't justify spending a couple hundred dollars on books I don't need.
Dude, our bet is for US$20 (or US$40? I can't remember for sure) worth of books from thebookdepository.co.uk, not for "an undetermined number of books"!
Adurentibus Spina wrote: As for the rest... you misunderstood basically everything I said, which would seem kind of ironic if it weren't totally fitting. The "IQ scale" you linked to is precisely what I'm saying is stupid. Did you not even read the criticisms of their method? It wasn't based on actually tabulating IQ scores within a country and then somehow objectively comparing, it's entirely a post hoc fallacious assumption with shoddy methodology. There is no connection to reality for any of it. And what's more, even if it were based on actual data in every case, it still wouldn't follow that it tells us ANYTHING, for reasons I already explained.

There is no technical use for the phrase "normal IQ". Period. You can call whatever you want "normal IQ", but that doesn't mean anyone has to accept your definition. For fuck's sake, English isn't even your first language, so why are you trying to correct me on this?

You seem not to understand that the list of countries by IQ isn't based on real data... That's why it's libelous to draw conclusions from it.
I am fully aware of the criticism of the method used to calculate some (probably most) of those IQ scores. What's the point of that comment? The statistic regarding the US was obtained by regular statistical methods, and my comment about most of the world not having a "high IQ" as that table indicated would be the same regardless of the methods for obtaining that data, since the results would be basically the same (unless a country has an extraordinary average IQ of 120). I examined that source and referred to it not in its whole, but pointing to specific information.

Regarding "normal IQ" vs. "average IQ", perhaps you can ask one or two psychologists that understand the subject. English is not my first language, but "normal" means pretty much the same in like 829 languages, so that is not a factor in my use of the word, regardless if it's right or wrong.

Lastly, I don't think any data is needed to say that some people simply have lower mental abilities than others, yet it's always nice to back it up with a source in case someone says "where did you get that from?"

Hype

#41 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am

:banghead:

Bandit72

#42 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:16 am

Anyone know why Muammar Gaddafi was kept in a fridge for a few days on show for the world media whereas Bin laden was chucked off an American Warship in the middle of an ocean somewhere as soon as possible?

They were both Muslim, so why the discrepancy in burial? I thought they followed a strict code of conduct? :noclue:

Artemis

#43 Post by Artemis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:28 am

I think Gadhafi was muslim-lite. The sort who orders Scotch in a restaurant and asks for it to be served in a teapot.

Larry B.

#44 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:35 am

Bin Laden was killed by Western army forces, while Gaddafi was killed by local "rebels". They work pretty differently in that sense :noclue:

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 am

Larry B. wrote:Bin Laden was killed by Western army forces, while Gaddafi was killed by local "rebels". They work pretty differently in that sense :noclue:
Why the fuck is Larry suddenly coming across like the voice of reason? :lol: :confused:

creep
Site Admin

#46 Post by creep » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 am

Jasper wrote:
Larry B. wrote:Bin Laden was killed by Western army forces, while Gaddafi was killed by local "rebels". They work pretty differently in that sense :noclue:
Why the fuck is Larry suddenly coming across like the voice of reason? :lol: :confused:
no shit. i read that and had to look twice to make sure larry actually wrote that.

Bandit72

#47 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 am

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
no shit. i read that and had to look twice to make sure larry actually wrote that.
What if it's not Larry? :flip: :hehe:

Larry B.

#48 Post by Larry B. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:41 am

:aoa: