How to avoid getting killed in Mexico

Discussion relating to current events, politics, religion, etc
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: How to avoid getting killed in Mexico

#21 Post by Hokahey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 am

perkana wrote:Don't know if you've heard about the "Fast and Furious" program run by the DEA?
The House committee has been investigating the actions by ATF and Justice Department officials involving the gun trafficking case that resulted in about 2,000 guns being allowed to go to drug cartels and criminal groups in Mexico. The ATF operation took a tragic toll when two guns linked to the operation were found near slain U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry on Dec. 14, 2010.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... s-hearing/
Also a good read
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/world ... wanted=all
Yes. Just another travesty acted out by the government in the war on drugs.

How does anyone support this?

perkana

#22 Post by perkana » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:47 pm

well our current president is a drunk, and drunk with power...this is his last year

Everybody's Friend

#23 Post by Everybody's Friend » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 pm

I didn't read this thread...but isn't the answer "don't go?"

Hype

#24 Post by Hype » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 am

Everybody's Friend wrote:I didn't read this thread...but isn't the answer "don't go?"
Yup. 'S why I'm going to Cuba. :bored:

Lokus

#25 Post by Lokus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 am

The Canadian Government suggests people exercise a "high degree of caution" when travelling to Mexico and basically says stay the fuck away from the Mexico-U.S. border:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=184000

Although 1.5 million Canadians travel to Mexico each year, dozens have been killed there in the last few years, which is a much higher rate than other countries. Many of them were killed at tourist resorts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/01/24 ... ans_Killed

Although I'm not really into beach vacations, I would love to visit Mexico. I think it's culture is beautiful and I am a fanatic for Mexican food. However, I have to admit, this shit scares me.

Juana

#26 Post by Juana » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 pm

perkana wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/douglas-an ... 32486.html
People ask me, regularly, how they can travel safely to Mexico. Here I have impeccable advice: follow this, and you're pretty much guaranteed to keep your head. Taking notes? Good.

Do not, under any circumstances, take a job with a major drug cartel. Just say no. You do not want to be a hit man, or a mule, or even middle management -- that's how people get killed.

I mean it: that is how people get killed. Sunbathing, on the other hand, is oddly uneventful. Yes, there are a few places in Mexico that I would avoid, unless I were applying for that gig (which I urge you to reconsider). Most border towns are not the destination of choice, except I suppose when brothel-hopping, in which case I'm told a soupçon of danger is bracing (and well-deserved). Acapulco too has declined. It was once a town in which you had a good chance of having a bad time. It is now a town in which you have no chance of having a good time.
Mexico's homicide rate as a nation isn't even world-class. The country is in fact something of a sissy relative to the thugs in the neighborhood. Before avoiding Mexico, cross the following nations off your list: Honduras, El Salvador, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Venezuela, Jamaica, Belize, Guatemala, Bahamas, Columbia, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Brazil... ah, but I'm boring you. I shouldn't be: All of these countries -- and this is only half the list -- are murderfests relative to Mexico. Some of these places are worse than Miami.
I have land in Honduras, its not so bad but again just stay away from the drug business and then stay away from San Pedro Sula and you should be good. MS13 pretty much runs that city. But on the islands off the coast its pretty uneventful.

Bandit72

#27 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:03 am

Perkana, is this a positive thing going on in Mexico at the moment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-31743000

perkana

#28 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

Sure, but we are cautious about everything. For us it means a meticulous plan of the government to make them look better because of our human rights crisis. We'll see if he stays in jail or he's left out after a couple of years, like the others.

mockbee

#29 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 am

It seems a little quieter in Mexico than in years past. Regarding international incidents anyways (missionary killings, border town beheadings, etc.) Does that seem to be the case to you as well Perkana, or domestically are things still really active?

I know that you guys must still be reeling from the lack of resolution regarding the Iguala kidnappings. Maybe tragedies are just to commonplace and not making it into the national headlines? :noclue:

perkana

#30 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am

Not quiet at all mockbee, a lot of people have been killed lately. Last week a teacher was killed by the police. Things are actually getting worse.

mockbee

#31 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 am

mockbee wrote:

I know that you guys must still be reeling from the lack of resolution regarding the Iguala kidnappings. Maybe tragedies are just to commonplace and not making it into the national headlines? :noclue:
perkana wrote:Not quiet at all mockbee, a lot of people have been killed lately. Last week a teacher was killed by the police. Things are actually getting worse.
That is terrible news. fuck.

mockbee

#32 Post by mockbee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 am

Let's just legalize coke, heroin, whatever (in Mexico and US)..... take it out of the cartels hands and put it squarely in the governments, like it already is.......... Just make it plain as day and we don't have to be living in these fantasy "good government" paradigms anymore....... everything on the table, front and center.

We couldn't handle it. :no:

Pandemonium

#33 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 pm

mockbee wrote:Let's just legalize coke, heroin, whatever (in Mexico and US)..... take it out of the cartels hands and put it squarely in the governments, like it already is.......... Just make it plain as day and we don't have to be living in these fantasy "good government" paradigms anymore....... everything on the table, front and center.

Pot is virtually legal in the US and it's still is a huge export and source of income for the drug cartels from Mexico and further south. The reason being that legalization or at least turning a blind eye to recreational narcotic usage is still a huge step away from the kind of large scale nation wide farming and production required to fill the domestic need that illegal foreign drug suppliers currently fill.

kv

#34 Post by kv » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:56 pm

yep it can all be made cheaper in mexico

perkana

#35 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:56 pm

mockbee wrote:
mockbee wrote:

perkana wrote:Not quiet at all mockbee, a lot of people have been killed lately. Last week a teacher was killed by the police. Things are actually getting worse.
That is terrible news. fuck.
They are national headlines here :noclue:

Bandit72

#36 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:01 pm

I must admit, I thought it had gone quieter, as we used to get a lot of cartel news in the UK. It seems this has now been replaced by IS and every single barbaric and brutal thing they carry out.

perkana

#37 Post by perkana » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Just read this article today...as it says, we live in a fucking military state nowadays.
I'll leave the link, if you use google chrome you'll get a bastardized translation, but it's better than nothing.
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2015/03/08/politica/010n1pol

clickie

#38 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 am

Pandemonium wrote:
mockbee wrote:Let's just legalize coke, heroin, whatever (in Mexico and US)..... take it out of the cartels hands and put it squarely in the governments, like it already is.......... Just make it plain as day and we don't have to be living in these fantasy "good government" paradigms anymore....... everything on the table, front and center.

Pot is virtually legal in the US and it's still is a huge export and source of income for the drug cartels from Mexico and further south. The reason being that legalization or at least turning a blind eye to recreational narcotic usage is still a huge step away from the kind of large scale nation wide farming and production required to fill the domestic need that illegal foreign drug suppliers currently fill.

That part where panda says pot is virtually legal here in the USA is such bullshit. There's probably someone being booked for weed while I make this post.

mockbee

#39 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 am

clickie wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:

That part where panda says pot is virtually legal here in the USA is such bullshit. There's probably someone being booked for weed while I make this post.
Probably depends on what state you are in.

Pandemonium

#40 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 am

clickie wrote:That part where panda says pot is virtually legal here in the USA is such bullshit. There's probably someone being booked for weed while I make this post.
Don't be such an idiot. I guess all those pot "clinics" scattered all over the state are figments of your imagination. The vast majority of people that get busted for pot possession are usually getting stopped by the law for doing something else stupid/illegal and they happen to have pot on them, usually in amounts that rate as distribution and selling. Vicodin and Oxycontin is legal, but you can get busted for possession of that for a lot of reasons too.

clickie

#41 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 am

I just wanted to point that out for people who aren't from the US who might've believed what you wrote. Pot is far from being legal here.

mockbee

#42 Post by mockbee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am

clickie wrote:I just wanted to point that out for people who aren't from the US who might've believed what you wrote. Pot is far from being legal here.
What state do you live in clickie?

On the entire west coast you can pretty much smoke a joint walking down the street and be fine.

clickie

#43 Post by clickie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 am

I can walk up and down the beach with an unlicensed gun in my pocket and be fine. That doesn't make it virtually legal.

perkana

#44 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Didn't want to start another thread but thought this would fit in here...
According to emails from the Sony Pictures hack. Leaked documents cited by Mexican media and Tax Analysts reveal Mexico City officials purportedly gave million in rebates and tax incentives to Sony Pictures and MGM Studios to rewrite the film’s storyline to show Mexico in a favorable light.

“We are currently facing a budget that is far beyond what we anticipated, and are under immense pressure to reduce the number to $250M net of rebates and incentives,” reads an alleged email attributed to MGM president Jonathan Glickman.
Mexican media also cites a memo titled “Elements needed to preserve Mexican deal,” which allegedly detailed how Mexican officials wanted their country portrayed in the film titled “Spectre.” Mexican officials reportedly requested that a “known Mexican actress” be cast as the Bond girl, and stipulated that the villain named Lucia Sciarra “cannot be Mexican.”

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=941_142611 ... hR7af.dpuf

perkana

#45 Post by perkana » Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 am

I think mockbee was interested in knowing how violence is in my country...Recently some teenagers (two 13 year old girls, two 15 year old boys and an 11 year old) played a 'kidnap' game with a 6 year old boy. They tied him up, beat him up, threw rocks at his head, suffocated him with a stick and one of the girls even stabbed him to make sure he wouldn't talk. They buried him, put a dead animal so they could distract cops. The 15 year olds 'might' be tried as adults while the younger ones will only be referred to juvenile court. People blame it on narc culture (narcocorridos) that glorify the life of drug dealers.
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/2 ... 00538.html