publishing a book

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Re: publishing a book

#26 Post by SR » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 am

Congrats to both; they both look great.

CC, one of my son's best friends is at Berklee.....very talented player.

Matz

#27 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:Very cool.

I've got this coming mass market on University of Texas Press this year: https://www.rocknrollburroughs.com
Looks very interesting. I hope you'll let us know when it's out

nausearockpig

#28 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

I read this a night ago. Finished it in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for bringing this to the world.

blackcoffee

#29 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:57 pm

nausearockpig wrote:I read this a night ago. Finished it in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for bringing this to the world.
Thanks. I really appreciate that. I recently beat a state ethics violation the Department of Corrections brought against me, so whenever I hear someone read and valued it, I feel stoked, and vindicated in my decision to publish.

nausearockpig

#30 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Wow, was the "violation" you bringing the truth to the public' eyes?

blackcoffee

#31 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:24 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Wow, was the "violation" you bringing the truth to the public' eyes?
They claimed that I was an employee of the state. I became a part time college instructor during my tenure as a volunteer at the prison. The part time contract is that you're paid for the time you're in the classroom and noting else. The DOC tried to make the case that I was entering the prison as an employee. The charge also opened me up to having to prove that I didn't use state resources to develop, edit, or market the book. It was time-consuming, but easy enough to prove them wrong. Thanks again for reading the book.

Hype

#32 Post by Hype » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:59 pm

blackcoffee wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Wow, was the "violation" you bringing the truth to the public' eyes?
They claimed that I was an employee of the state. I became a part time college instructor during my tenure as a volunteer at the prison. The part time contract is that you're paid for the time you're in the classroom and noting else. The DOC tried to make the case that I was entering the prison as an employee. The charge also opened me up to having to prove that I didn't use state resources to develop, edit, or market the book. It was time-consuming, but easy enough to prove them wrong. Thanks again for reading the book.
That is insane. You were in a place, paid for some work in that place, and you wrote something about the place, not while you were working. Therefore, you were somehow using resources of the state?

So if I'm an airport employee, and today I write a story about a plane, therefore I used TSA resources to write my book? :neutral: Insane.

blackcoffee

#33 Post by blackcoffee » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Hype wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:
That is insane. You were in a place, paid for some work in that place, and you wrote something about the place, not while you were working. Therefore, you were somehow using resources of the state?

So if I'm an airport employee, and today I write a story about a plane, therefore I used TSA resources to write my book? :neutral: Insane.
No. I volunteered at a place for three years. in that time I also took a part time instructor job at a college over 50 miles away from that place where I was paid only for the time in the classroom. I didn't use any resources from the prison or the college, but it took a lot of convincing. The DOC is angry at me (and the author). We published it as fiction. The DOC won't allow it inside because they say it's nonfiction, which is incredible given what happens in the book. They admit to all kinds of basic human rights abuses in doing so.

SR

#34 Post by SR » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:48 am

blackcoffee wrote: The DOC won't allow it inside because they say it's nonfiction, which is incredible given what happens in the book. They admit to all kinds of basic human rights abuses in doing so.
.....aaaand this doesn't surprise me in the least. :eyes: