Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
farrellgirl99

Re: Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

#1851 Post by farrellgirl99 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm

creep wrote:Award season is coming so screeners are starting to show up online.

I just downloaded:

Lady Bird
Three Billboards
I, Tonya
Call Me By Your Name

Look forward to watching them in the next week or two.
did you watch call be by your name yet? i saw it this week and thought it was pretty good. great acting by the young kid. i thought it captured uncertainty of beginning attraction/love very well. sensual imagery too (the peach :wiggle: )

wally

#1852 Post by wally » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 am

i was sick last week so I watched the new baywatch. i laughed. I don't think Zac Efron has ever made a bad movie. :lol:

perkana

#1853 Post by perkana » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:Award season is coming so screeners are starting to show up online.

I just downloaded:

Lady Bird
Three Billboards
I, Tonya
Call Me By Your Name

Look forward to watching them in the next week or two.
did you watch call be by your name yet? i saw it this week and thought it was pretty good. great acting by the young kid. i thought it captured uncertainty of beginning attraction/love very well. sensual imagery too (the peach :wiggle: )
I'm sold! Loved this song, too :heart:

The video kinda reminded me of E.M. Forster's "A Room with A View" and "Maurice". I love any story set in Italy.
Last edited by perkana on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perkana

#1854 Post by perkana » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm

wally wrote:i was sick last week so I watched the new baywatch. i laughed. I don't think Zac Efron has ever made a bad movie. :lol:
I've never seen the High School Musicals, but I agree. I've liked the movies I've seen :lol:

farrellgirl99

#1855 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Saw I, Tonya. Margot Robbie was fantastic

perkana

#1856 Post by perkana » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 pm

So I finally saw "The Shape of Water" today and I loved it :heart: Hope Guillermo wins. It's lovely, engaging and it feels that it lasts longer than 2 hours but it lasts less than that, it wasn't boring nor tedious. I read about it having a lot of similarities with a Dutch short film from two years ago, but besides the merman and the janitor lady, I don't see any other similarities. Del Toro has explained that he has been working on his story since 2011 and has already talked with the Dutch film makers. They even issued the next statement:
Nederlandse Filmacademie

The Space Between Us & The Shape of Water

Gepubliceerd op 22 januari 2018
After recently screening “The Shape of Water” and following conversations that took place in a very constructive and friendly atmosphere, The Netherlands Film Academy believes that both "The Shape of Water" and our short, "The Space Between Us," have their own very different identities. They have separate timelines of development and are not in any conceivable way interlinked or related. The students and "The Space Between Us" team were very excited and grateful to have the opportunity to actively discuss the creative inspirations of both films in a personal conversation with Mr. del Toro. We cordially discussed our films and our common roots in mythology and the fantastic (and some themes which Mr. del Toro has previously dwelled on Hellboy I and II). We have learned a lot from the contact with an extremely gifted and creative filmmake and wish "The Shape of Water" continued success.
Here's the short film:

Matz

#1857 Post by Matz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 am

checked out My lovely bones after hearing Dave say its one of his favorite movies, great movie

perkana

#1858 Post by perkana » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 pm

I thought it really sucked, I enjoyed the book, read it like in 2-3 days.
P.S. You meant The lovely bones, right? The Peter Jackson movie with Saoirse something, anyway I can't pronounce her name.

creep
Site Admin

#1859 Post by creep » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:14 pm

I watched "I love you Daddy"

It was OK...it was Louis CK trying to be Woody Allen. I've only seen Charlie Day in a couple of things. Does he always play the same character?

Matz

#1860 Post by Matz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:54 pm

perkana wrote:I thought it really sucked, I enjoyed the book, read it like in 2-3 days.
P.S. You meant The lovely bones, right? The Peter Jackson movie with Saoirse something, anyway I can't pronounce her name.
yeah, The lovely bones.
maybe you're right about it sucking, it's possible I should have come to that conclusion, but didn't because of the GR that's in quite a few shots in the movie, I'm pretty sure I like it though, GR aside

Her name is pronounced something like surcia I believe

Larry B.

#1861 Post by Larry B. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I saw The Prestige this week, which I had downloaded long ago.

I thought it was decent, but it had been really overhyped, as if it was one of great movies of the last decade, "with great plot twists"... when in reality, the "big" reveal was quite fucking obvious since like 1/4 of the movie. But it was entertaining. I love Jackman and I love Scarlett. I love Bowie too, but he wasn't good in this movie.

5.5/10.

nausearockpig

#1862 Post by nausearockpig » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Saw Chips the other day. Amusing in a dumb mindless way. In the vein of the 21 Jump Street movie(s?)...

wally

#1863 Post by wally » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am

went and saw "Soy Cuba" the other night.
Amazing cinematography.

Matz

#1864 Post by Matz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:55 am

Hanna, which is also starring Soairse Ronan, is great too, she's one hell of an actress

clickie

#1865 Post by clickie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm

I watched 'Wake in Fright' yesterday. What a cool movie. I rate it about an 8 outta 10. I need to check out more of Donald pleasence earlier work since I mostly became familiar with the guy from when he did Halloween.

Pandemonium

#1866 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm

clickie wrote:I watched 'Wake in Fright' yesterday. What a cool movie. I rate it about an 8 outta 10. I need to check out more of Donald pleasence earlier work since I mostly became familiar with the guy from when he did Halloween.
He was in some great movies in the late 50's and 60's. He was Blofeld in the last decent Sean Connery James Bond flick "You Only Live Twice" and Himmler in "The Eagle Has Landed." The two movies I most recall him from my teenage years are oddities, a late 50's b/w horror film about Burke and Hare (he played one of them) in a Peter Cushing flick called "Flesh And The Fiends" and a late 60's sci-fi movie called Fantastic Voyage that was one of Raquel Welch's first movies.

Also, he hosted the infamous episode of Saturday Night Live when they had Fear as the musical guest:

farrellgirl99

#1867 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:37 pm

i thought three billboards outside ebbing, missouri was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. tone was all over the place - i thought it was complete trash.

if it wins best picture i will throw a fit.

wally

#1868 Post by wally » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm

so i watched "Treasures from the wreck of the unbelievable"
interesting doc on netflix.
If you're going to watch it, just hit start, don't read anything about it at all.
you can thank me later.

SR

#1869 Post by SR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:i thought three billboards outside ebbing, missouri was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. tone was all over the place - i thought it was complete trash.

:lol: ....haven't seen it, but I can say I had the same reaction to Hostiles. Cheap emotional grab (with an immoral premise) from the git go. Excruciating film. Btw, what does "tone all over the place" mean?

perkana

#1870 Post by perkana » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I went to see with my dad Black Panther yesterday. When it finished he told me that Trump must have loved it. Being about a "third world" African country with technology :lol:
I loved it, totally recommend it watching it on 4DX :cool:

clickie

#1871 Post by clickie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:03 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:i thought three billboards outside ebbing, missouri was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. tone was all over the place - i thought it was complete trash.

Its that bad huh? I still want to see it though. Props to Sam Rockwell for getting the accolades he deserves.

chaos

#1872 Post by chaos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I just saw this. I thought France McDormand was good, especially considering the weak script. I am surprised this was nominated for best picture. WTF.

SR

#1873 Post by SR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 am

I just watched it too....I liked it. I agree the acting was good....there were some "Cheever" moments I appreciated, plus any loose study of the convoluted mind where good and evil are concerned is interesting to me.

Larry B.

#1874 Post by Larry B. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:27 am

Saw 'Darkest Hour' last night, I really enjoyed it. There were some odd moments in terms of script, acting and cinematography, but I thought the story was quite well told. Gary Oldman was ridiculously good, and the woman who plays the typist stole my heart.

There were some moments of unashamed propaganda, but they really got to me, particularly as the movie approached its end. Very well done. 7/10.

On the other hand, a few days ago I saw a romantic comedy called 'I do... Until I don't.' It was fucking shitty, but the humour was on the right lines, it had a good style although most of the jokes were lame. The acting was awful and the story was abysmal. But it did have funny bits that made me skip it forward only once or twice. Overall, I think it did its job. 4/10.

chaos

#1875 Post by chaos » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am

SR wrote:....there were some "Cheever" moments I appreciated
You are too kind (and Cheever is rolling in his grave :lol: )

Btw his novella Oh What a Paradise It Seems is one of my favorites.