Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
JOEinPHX

Re: Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

#26 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:05 am

I don't like Dave A's drumming.

Once I noticed how much he was just banging the crash and cymbals... it was hard to unhear. I can't listen to Vs and Vitalogy anymore. He drums like Alex Van Halen, who I also do not like.

It's less rhythmic and just alot of tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tss

JOEinPHX

#27 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:12 am

Noonesshocking wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm
JOEinPHX wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:37 pm
kv wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:26 pm
I haven't been into pearl jam since their second or third album..but I was youtubing and caught some old clips from shows I saw them in the early years...I miss their first drummer...don't even remember his name..remember he had a condition that made touring hard and thats why he left ..but he added a lot to their early sound imho
I think you're mixing up a few people.

Dave Krusen drummed on the first album but was an alcoholic, so they fired him.

Dave Abbruzzesse was there for the peak popularity years between 92 and 94, but he was fired because he was an asshole.

Jack Irons from the Chili Peppers took over for a few years from 1994 to 1998, but he was the one with social anxiety and shit and didn't want to tour.

So Jack left and they brought back Matt Cameron, who was TECHNICALLY actually their first drummer. He drummed on that TOTD album and all Ten demos, but was unable to join the band fulltime because of his commitments to Soundgarden. Once SG broke up, he was free.

Anyway, I think you're remembering Dave 2 but mixing up his departure with Jack.
From what I've read, PJ were huge assholes to Abbruzzese - particularly Ed. They really smeared him in the press by twisting a lot of stuff he said and did.
He's active on social media. Go look him up. He's still bitter and slinging mud at them 30 years later. He's clearly got a couple of screws loose. The comment section is usually 50% people telling him to calm down and let it go. But he doesn't. He'll be back next week to talk more shit about them. :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#28 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:42 am

JOEinPHX wrote:
kv wrote:
I haven't been into pearl jam since their second or third album..but I was youtubing and caught some old clips from shows I saw them in the early years...I miss their first drummer...don't even remember his name..remember he had a condition that made touring hard and thats why he left ..but he added a lot to their early sound imho

Dave Abbruzzesse was there for the peak popularity years between 92 and 94, but he was fired because he was an asshole.

Jack Irons from the Chili Peppers took over for a few years from 1994 to 1998, but he was the one with social anxiety and shit and didn't want to tour.

So Jack left and they brought back Matt Cameron, who was TECHNICALLY actually their first drummer. He drummed on that TOTD album and all Ten demos, but was unable to join the band fulltime because of his commitments to Soundgarden. Once SG broke up, he was free.

Anyway, I think you're remembering Dave 2 but mixing up his departure with Jack.
Do you have a source on Matt Cameron being their first drummer? Are you thinking of Jack? He was the one that had the original demos (all guitar work) and passed them on to Eddie, but no one drummed on any recordings until Dave Krusen.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#29 Post by Hokahey » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 am

JOEinPHX wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:05 am
I don't like Dave A's drumming.

Once I noticed how much he was just banging the crash and cymbals... it was hard to unhear. I can't listen to Vs and Vitalogy anymore. He drums like Alex Van Halen, who I also do not like.

It's less rhythmic and just alot of tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tsss tss
Dave A was hands-down the best drummer that band ever had. Jack did a few cool things. Matt has no edge when drumming in PJ. I’d never know it was him if he wasn’t obviously in the band. It’s odd, because he’s very distinctive in SG.

The band lost all of its oomph when Dave was fired. And I’d still be pissed too. Eddies a fraud. Always has been. And I used to absolutely worship that dude as a teenager.

JOEinPHX

#30 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:00 am

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:42 am
JOEinPHX wrote:
kv wrote:

Do you have a source on Matt Cameron being their first drummer? Are you thinking of Jack? He was the one that had the original demos (all guitar work) and passed them on to Eddie, but no one drummed on any recordings until Dave Krusen.
Matt had talked about it in an interview they did years ago when they put that tape in with one of their deluxe reissues, but it's been documented several places.

https://www.revolutioncomeandgone.com/a ... rl-jam.php

kv

#31 Post by kv » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:21 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:45 am
Dave A was hands-down the best drummer that band ever had. Jack did a few cool things. Matt has no edge when drumming in PJ. I’d never know it was him if he wasn’t obviously in the band. It’s odd, because he’s very distinctive in SG.
exactly how I felt about Matt...