Movies or "the breakdown of jasper"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Movies

#176 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Jasper wrote: I think we had the same experience watching the movie, because you seemed to have been let down in the same sort of way. Some of the action-type stuff seemed so contrived and out of place.
It's telling that we along with a large number of viewers have many of the same issues with the movie yet clearly enjoyed bits and pieces of it to the point we discuss and argue it's pros and cons fairly passionately. I understand there's going to be about 30 addition minutes of cut footage for the home video release this Fall.

Jasper

#177 Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Jasper wrote: I think we had the same experience watching the movie, because you seemed to have been let down in the same sort of way. Some of the action-type stuff seemed so contrived and out of place.
It's telling that we along with a large number of viewers have many of the same issues with the movie yet clearly enjoyed bits and pieces of it to the point we discuss and argue it's pros and cons fairly passionately. I understand there's going to be about 30 addition minutes of cut footage for the home video release this Fall.
Yup, it does provide a lot to talk about, and gives really memorable imagery. I felt jittery when I was watching it, so it definitely succeeded in providing me with a state of unease, even when I was thinking "that's dumb."
Jasper wrote:The same god that says the Earth is the center of the universe and revolves around the sun.
Just saw this little gem. Obviously I meant to say that the sun revolves around Earth, from the bronze-age persepctive.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#178 Post by Hokahey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

I wasn't a big fan of Snow White. It was downright silly at times with a lot of unexplained events and under developed characters. The second half slowed to a complete slog until the final act. Charlize Theron's over acting was cringe worthy at times. It was fun to look at but that's about it. Kind of like Kristen Stewart. Her performance was entirely unremarkable, especially when contrasted against the over the top performance by Theron.

perkana

#179 Post by perkana » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 am

I watched the other night this movie
When it comes to relationships, we’re all beginners.

From writer/director Mike Mills comes Beginners, a comedy/drama about how deeply funny and transformative life can be, even at its most serious moments.

Beginners imaginatively explores the hilarity, confusion, and surprises of love through the evolving consciousness of Oliver (Golden Globe Award nominee Ewan McGregor). Oliver meets the irreverent and unpredictable Anna (Mélanie Laurent of Inglourious Basterds) only months after his father Hal Fields (Academy Award nominee Christopher Plummer) has passed away.

This new love floods Oliver with memories of his father, who, following the death of his wife of 45 years, came out of the closet at age 75 to live a full, energized, and wonderfully tumultuous gay life – which included a younger boyfriend, Andy (Goran Visnjic of ER). The upheavals of Hal’s new honesty, by turns funny and moving, brought father and son closer than they’d ever been able to be. Now Oliver endeavors to love Anna with all the bravery, humor, and hope that his father taught him.
Oh crap, it's so lovely :heart:

creep
Site Admin

#180 Post by creep » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm

i kept hearing how good 21 jump street is so i watched it today. it was sort of a letdown. it was mildly entertaining but far from hilarious. i thought the funniest part was when johnny depp got shot in the neck.....oh oops spoiler.

the other day i watched "jeff who lives at home" it's a small low budget movie but sometimes those are the best. it was pretty good. it's about jeff who lives at home. :conf:

creep
Site Admin

#181 Post by creep » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:52 pm

i saw shawshank redemption for the first time last night. i'm not sure why i never saw it before. i thought tim robbins was pretty good in it and ever since that movie his career has gone nowhere. morgan freeman was good but it's hard to like that guy since he is dating his grandaughter 45 years younger than him. really liked the movie.

Hype

#182 Post by Hype » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:04 pm

creep wrote:i saw shawshank redemption for the first time last night. i'm not sure why i never saw it before. i thought tim robbins was pretty good in it and ever since that movie his career has gone nowhere. morgan freeman was good but it's hard to like that guy since he is dating his grandaughter 45 years younger than him. really liked the movie.
What does dating his step-granddaughter have to do with how appealing his voice is? :lol: I'm pretty sure Marlon Brando was a giant fucking asshole but he was a hell of an actor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ghter.html
He said: 'The recent reports of any pending marriage or romantic relationship of me to anyone are defamatory fabrications from the tabloid media designed to sell papers.

'What is even more alarming is that these fabrications are now being picked up by the legitimate press as well.'

Morgan was fuming when reports emerged claiming he and Hines were going to marry.

It had been claimed they have been dating for around 10 years and were planning to tie the knot in the near future.

The father-of-four's stance has been backed up by E'Dena, who issued a statement of her own.
:noclue:

Matz

#183 Post by Matz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 pm

he's not dating his step granddaughter...thankfully

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ghter.html

creep
Site Admin

#184 Post by creep » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:41 pm

:lol: he says he isn't. i don't really care though i guess. if he is it's bad but not woody allen bad.

creep
Site Admin

#185 Post by creep » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:15 pm

it's a very heavy movie weekend for me. i went and saw magic mike...just kidding. i saw the grey at a friends house tonight. that shit was boring. i remember that it got decent reviews but i was completely bored watching it.

Artemis

#186 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:27 pm

creep wrote: i went and saw magic mike...just kidding.
i really did see magic mike today. went out for brunch with a few friends and then to a matinee showing.

it was definitely a movie for the girls. i saw only about 3 guys in the whole theatre. :lol:

good looking cast aside, the movie wasn't bad. it was the perfect lite summer time movie.

i must say matthew mcconaughey is aging rather well. his performance as the emcee/owner of the club was pretty good too.

chaos

#187 Post by chaos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Artemis wrote:
i really did see magic mike today. went out for brunch with a few friends and then to a matinee showing.

it was definitely a movie for the girls. i saw only about 3 guys in the whole theatre. :lol:

good looking cast aside, the movie wasn't bad. it was the perfect lite summer time movie.
The NYT gave it a good review. http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/mo ... gewanted=1

chaos

#188 Post by chaos » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:35 pm

I saw We Need to Talk About Kevin. It is a grim, compelling movie despite the fact that all of the characters are not likeable.

Artemis

#189 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 pm

chaos wrote:
Artemis wrote:

The NYT gave it a good review. http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/mo ... gewanted=1
Yes, that's quite a good review.
Other than the American dream theme, I didn't see many of the things the reviewer mentions. The main reason I went to see the movie was for the good looking men. Mr Soderbergh succeeded in reversing the viewer roles from fmale objectification to male objectification.

I didn't think of Mike's character as the "stripper with the heart of gold"but that is exactly who he was. It explains why he seemed familair to me.

But Mike has a heart of gold, which becomes evident as soon as he takes Adam under his wing, first at the construction site and then by bringing the younger man to Xquisite. Initially incredulous and unsettled at some of what he sees at the club, Adam changes his mind after he’s pushed onstage and, to the blunt throbbing of “Like a Virgin,” strips. He takes to the stage like an otter to water, slipping and sliding across it and into the lap of an obliging customer. When he comes offstage, a smile on his face and his saggy Jockeys stuffed with bills, he is a man reborn. It’s no wonder that, after this memorably frolicking night, Adam asks if he can be Mike’s best friend.

What happens will be familiar if you’ve ever seen one of those variations on the fallen-woman movie. An elastic genre popular in the 1920s and ’30s, these flicks usually involve a working-class young miss who comically scrambles or crudely tramps her way into a mink, swank digs and finally either tragedy or redemption, depending on whether she’s doomed or saved. Sometimes she also initiates an innocent into her life pretty much the same way Mike brings Adam into his world of sexual play, casual drug use and dance music. In the past the movies were very much preoccupied with the moral regulation of women, but here the stress is on Mike’s struggle to succeed as he juggles his part-time gigs (dancing, auto detailing and construction) with his desire to build custom furniture.

perkana

#190 Post by perkana » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35 am

I'll definitely watch it when I get back home...I usually go by myself to these movies but seems like it would be more fun to go with someone. It would be my closest experience with this kind of thing (I really don't get women who go to these places, so it will be interesting to see how Soderbergh approaches this) And yeah, the cast looks awesome, I love Channing Tatum, especially in his recent movies (like 21 Jump Street)

Hokahey
Site Admin

#191 Post by Hokahey » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 am

I loved Prometheus. Went by myself to a movie for the first time in years. Monday night showing at 9:30, in 3D, by myself in the theater and it was glorious.

I love, love, love Ridely Scott's sci-fi movies. And this was right up there with Alien, and just a notch below Blade Runner. A lot of people bemoaned the unanswered questions or seeming plot inconsistencies (especially when considered against Alien which the movie shares a universe with), but I had no issue with any of that. Sometimes it's enjoyable to glimpse a world or moment in time without knowing every aspect of why it is the way it is or people are doing what they do. So long as that's the intention and it's artfully done, which is was here. In regards to Alien - this was was never meant to be a direct prequel. It wasn't supposed to lead in to the opening of that movie. It leaves room for it's own story while showing a glimpse of why it shares a universe with Alien, and if you want to connect them you have to answer some questions for yourself or wait for a Prometheus sequel. And that's good. I'm glad this was it's own story. I'm glad there wasn't a pretty bow on it.

Something everyone seems to agree on are the visiuals. And they were absolutely amazing. One of the most visually impressive movies I've ever seen. I was very impressed how Scott maintained a visual style not seen since his sci fi movies from 30 years ago without it looking dated. Just incredible stuff.

Mescal

#192 Post by Mescal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
zdilla wrote:that guy looks like jim carrey from liar, liar. :bday:

:hs:
Is there a movie about Jaco?

Juana

#193 Post by Juana » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Saw Savages and liked it, sex, drugs, violence and humor

farrellgirl99

#194 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Saw Ted tonight. I knew I would hate it. I hated it.

kv

#195 Post by kv » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 pm

it's such a guy flick why would you even go if you knew you would hate it?

Hype

#196 Post by Hype » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:46 pm

There's a new Woody Allen movie though. :aoa:

farrellgirl99

#197 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 am

kv wrote:it's such a guy flick why would you even go if you knew you would hate it?
outnumbered by friends/had a voucher :noclue:

Artemis

#198 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am

Juana wrote:Saw Savages and liked it, sex, drugs, violence and humor
I might be seeing that one today.

I'm also interested in the Wes Anderson flick - Moonrise Kingdom.

Super cast, imho..

Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two 12-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore -- and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in every which way. Bruce Willis plays the local sheriff, Captain Sharp. Edward Norton is a Khaki Scout troop leader, Scout Master Ward. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand portray the young girl's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bishop. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Bob Balaban; and introduces Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as Sam and Suzy, the boy and girl.

Juana

#199 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Pure Method

#200 Post by Pure Method » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:31 am

Artemis wrote:
Juana wrote:Saw Savages and liked it, sex, drugs, violence and humor
I might be seeing that one today.

I'm also interested in the Wes Anderson flick - Moonrise Kingdom.

Super cast, imho..

Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two 12-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore -- and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in every which way. Bruce Willis plays the local sheriff, Captain Sharp. Edward Norton is a Khaki Scout troop leader, Scout Master Ward. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand portray the young girl's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bishop. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Bob Balaban; and introduces Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as Sam and Suzy, the boy and girl.

This was unreal. must see.