Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
JOEinPHX

Re: Eric leaves NIN or "the breakdown of nyrexall"

#1126 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 am

Satellite and Various Methods of Escape are cool. I Would For You doesn't suck. I just wish they were part of a whole different album.

looped simple computer beat + shoegaze guitars. The entire album.

There is nothing on here that remotely resembles The Downward Spiral like he said. Except maybe the artwork. He shouldn't have used the NIN name for this one. He should have just credited it to himself and Atticus like he did with the soundtracks. It's not NIN, it's just Trent Reznor.

There were a few songs that didn't suck. But it's an album i'll probably file away with the Social Network, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Ghosts, as "Stuff from Trent i'll never listen to a second time"

Matz

#1127 Post by Matz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:54 am

very disappointed (no pun intended). By far his worst album. Find my way, CBH, parts of Everything and the chorus in Copy o A is the only stuff I like/half like. There are just so many songs that are incredibly weak, I doubt I'll listen to it again except for the songs I mention :no: Definitely Trent's TGEA, possibly worse to be honest

Tyler Durden

#1128 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Worse than The Great Escape Artist? Great fucking real. :lol:

I miss the days when people listened to a new album more than once or over more than one afternoon before forming of an opinion of it. Pre-internet, people digested an album over weeks or months...because they paid money for it and ALL music in existence wasn't free for the taking.

As for other comments..."It's not NIN, it's just Trent Reznor". What does that even mean? :confused: And he never said it was going to sound like The Downward Spiral.

JOEinPHX

#1129 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
As for other comments..."It's not NIN, it's just Trent Reznor". What does that even mean? :confused:
It means it has more in common with this:

Than this:

Tyler Durden wrote:And he never said it was going to sound like The Downward Spiral.
Fair enough. But he still mentioned the 2 in the same breath... he said the headspace he was in during TDS, and who he was... influenced his writing on the new album.

Which opens it up for comparison. I mean the guy even had the same artistic director do the artwork. The comparisons were going to happen.

NYRexall

#1130 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Can’t fucking wait to hear this on a proper turntable/stereo a week from now. I know I’ll love it, just by the praise and the gripes it’s receiving. I still listen to Ghosts, The Social Network and TGWTDT all the time, almost always at night.

Nothing he does disappoints me, and until he drops a fucking hip-hop album with Little Wayne and Drake, I doubt anything ever will. Hesitation Marks will be played to the same degree as TDS, PHM and With_Teeth in my household. The next seven days can’t go by fast enough.

NYRexall

#1131 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Matov wrote:
I reckon Hoka won't fancy trent's "retarded-like" singing, but oh well.
He'll be fine.

There's a new Korn album coming out in a few months.

NYRexall

#1132 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm

There's a "review" thread over at ETS. Let's see what the NIN fanboys and fangirls are saying about Hesitation Marks...

"I'm going all in. This is the best Nine Inch Nails record since The Fragile. I've reserved that praise for such a long time, but no longer."

"I just finished my first listen. There's a few really amazing tracks on here. There's a few that didn't quite connect with me on first listen -- but it was the same with The Fragile. But there's no doubt Trent is firing on all cylinders here. I feel like this is the most a NIN album has ever creatively used reverb."

"Like some people have already said, while there have been some really good things to come from Trent since The Fragile, I think this is probably the best album, on the whole, since '99. It's kind of its own unique thing. If I REALLY had to pick something Trent has done that would be a good comparison it would be The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! All Time Low and Satellite are the ones I went back to immediately after the album ended."

"Possibly the best thing since The Fragile."

"Seriously minblowingly great. The man just went 360° and reinvented himself like it was nothing, while remaining coherent with his own body of work and taking the luxury to even reference his whole discography. It's bleak yet fucking funky, and the best thing is, it works!"

"You can usually tell when Trent has confidence. And he has it back. Remember when he said it was "fucking good"? No kidding."

"I Would For You" is my personal favorite right now. This record has such a cool sound... so different from anything out right now."

"It should be compared to nothing, it stands on its own as a great piece of work. I think its better than The Fragile, and the only album I would hold over this (just a smidge) is The Downward Spiral. After more listens I could change my mind on that even. Its damn good, near perfect. "

"Not going to give a score yet, as it's too early, but my favorite track is Various Methods of Escape. The interlude piece is amazing. I also wouldn't compare this to any other album, but I will say that it reminds me a bit of The Downward Spiral, but less....frenetic. Love it!"

"I have not got goose bumps from a nin album since the Fragile. I am totally impressed. Downward Spiral>Fragile>Hesitation Marks"

"Hell, this is their greatest album they've ever done in my opinion. It's got NIN's trademark complex but simplistic sound to it yet it sounds nothing like they've ever done before."

That's just on the first page. There's about 20 more. Remember when Jane's used to release an album and garner this kind of praise from their fans?

Yea, me neither :lol:

creep
Site Admin

#1133 Post by creep » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 pm

NYRexall wrote:
"I'm going all in. This is the best Nine Inch Nails record since The Fragile. I've reserved that praise for such a long time, but no longer."

NYRexall wrote:
"I just finished my first listen. There's a few really amazing tracks on here. There's a few that didn't quite connect with me on first listen -- but it was the same with The Fragile. But there's no doubt Trent is firing on all cylinders here. I feel like this is the most a NIN album has ever creatively used reverb."

NYRexall wrote:
"Like some people have already said, while there have been some really good things to come from Trent since The Fragile, I think this is probably the best album, on the whole, since '99. It's kind of its own unique thing. If I REALLY had to pick something Trent has done that would be a good comparison it would be The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! All Time Low and Satellite are the ones I went back to immediately after the album ended."

NYRexall wrote:
"Possibly the best thing since The Fragile."
NYRexall wrote:
"Seriously minblowingly great. The man just went 360° and reinvented himself like it was nothing, while remaining coherent with his own body of work and taking the luxury to even reference his whole discography. It's bleak yet fucking funky, and the best thing is, it works!"
NYRexall wrote:
"You can usually tell when Trent has confidence. And he has it back. Remember when he said it was "fucking good"? No kidding."

NYRexall

#1134 Post by NYRexall » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Image :lol: Image

And I don't even particularly like The Fragile, so you know that's not me saying that.

Juana

#1135 Post by Juana » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Creep did you search "ninjalos"? Cause those pics are mall goth meets juggalo and that is hilarious

farrellgirl99

#1136 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:57 am

NYRexall wrote:Can’t fucking wait to hear this on a proper turntable/stereo a week from now. I know I’ll love it, just by the praise and the gripes it’s receiving. I still listen to Ghosts, The Social Network and TGWTDT all the time, almost always at night.

Nothing he does disappoints me, and until he drops a fucking hip-hop album with Little Wayne and Drake, I doubt anything ever will. Hesitation Marks will be played to the same degree as TDS, PHM and With_Teeth in my household. The next seven days can’t go by fast enough.
you think with teeth is the 3rd best nin album? thats surprising. i think its easily the weakest.

Jammyshill

#1137 Post by Jammyshill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 am

The new album is cool. As expected, the album tracks are where the most excitement is to be had. Weird noises, cool drums beats, and most importantly, very differently to his other stuff. This to me is like NIN's "Riot Act," which is one of my favourite Pearl Jam albums despite being hated by the fans that never grew up after the band did.

farrellgirl99

#1138 Post by farrellgirl99 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah I just finished listening to it and I think its great. Interesting music, non cringe worthy lyrics for the most part, a slightly different sound. There are even horns! I enjoyed it thoroughly and look forward to listening to it multiple times and discovering everything.

And, as an aside, I listened to it while at the gym and the most pumped up part of the whole album for me was the chorus of Everything :lol: I thought that song would grow on me and it has. That chorus is powerful.

Smokestack

#1139 Post by Smokestack » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just when I thought I was done with this site, creep reeled me back in.

Tyler Durden

#1140 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

Does anyone know what song(s) Lindsey Buckingham plays on?

Larry B.

#1141 Post by Larry B. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Did he just say that Trent "went 360"?

JOEinPHX

#1142 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Jammyshill wrote:The new album is cool. As expected, the album tracks are where the most excitement is to be had. Weird noises, cool drums beats, and most importantly, very differently to his other stuff. This to me is like NIN's "Riot Act," which is one of my favourite Pearl Jam albums despite being hated by the fans that never grew up after the band did.
Riot Act was the last good album Pearl Jam even did.

creep
Site Admin

#1143 Post by creep » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:46 pm

are there any live drums on the album. the only songs i heard didn't have any. are other nin albums like this?

Matz

#1144 Post by Matz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:59 pm

creep wrote:are there any live drums on the album. the only songs i heard didn't have any. are other nin albums like this?
that's one of the things I really miss, it's a bit too electronic

Tyler Durden

#1145 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:04 pm

creep wrote:are there any live drums on the album. the only songs i heard didn't have any. are other nin albums like this?
Stephen Perkins played on "I Do Not Want This" from The Downward Spiral. :know:

CaseyContrarian

#1146 Post by CaseyContrarian » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm

It's OK. The lyrics are atrocious. He was never particularly gifted in that department, but at least at one point, the angst, rage and alienation was coming from a legitimate place. Like Perry singing ANR, he's just not that fella anymore. But musically, it has moments.

Would have been a solid return if not for the half-ass melodies and words. At least that stuff is pretty easy to ignore. Not at all like latter-day PF whose vocal and lyrical shortcomings stick out like a sore thumb.

Tyler Durden

#1147 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

CaseyContrarian wrote:It's OK. The lyrics are atrocious. He was never particularly gifted in that department, but at least at one point, the angst, rage and alienation was coming from a legitimate place.
Maybe before The Fragile...but by then, genuine or not, that angle had become REALLY clichéd and stale.
CaseyContrarian wrote:Not at all like latter-day PF whose vocal and lyrical shortcomings stick out like a sore thumb.
A sore thumb? Try four broken limbs. :lol:

NYRexall

#1148 Post by NYRexall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
NYRexall wrote:Can’t fucking wait to hear this on a proper turntable/stereo a week from now. I know I’ll love it, just by the praise and the gripes it’s receiving. I still listen to Ghosts, The Social Network and TGWTDT all the time, almost always at night.

you think with teeth is the 3rd best nin album? thats surprising. i think its easily the weakest.
I never said that.

I just have an affinity for it. The songs were there at a time when a lot of other things weren't.

1. TDS
2. PHM
3. Year Zero
4. WT/The Fragile (depends on my mood)
5. Still
6. Broken
7. The Slip
8. Ghosts

I'm fairly certain that once I listen to HM a few times, it will easily jump to number 3 on that list.

NYRexall

#1149 Post by NYRexall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm

My 10 favorite NIN songs, for all of you who were wondering :lol:

1. Hurt/Something I Can Never Have (tie)
2. Right Where It Belongs
3. And All That Could Have Been
4. Zero Sum
5. La Mer
6. Ruiner
7. Reptile
8. Last (Butch Vig remix)
9. The Only Time
10. Maybe Just Once/Discipline (tie)

creep
Site Admin

#1150 Post by creep » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:31 pm

just like bcs is it not cool for a nin fan to like closer?