Doctor Who

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Doctor Who

#1 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm so glad that S08 has started, it was too long between drinks..

Going back to the new start, or really, continuation of the serial back in 2005 I've been really impressed with all the portrayals of The Doctor from Eccleston through to Capaldi.. Each time The Doctor regenerated I thought "oh this new guy will be shit" but then about one or two episodes in and I'm hooked...

The Companions have all been great - except for Catherine Tate who just played herself - or the various characters she plays in her comedy skits/shows.. but no one will ever beat Rose..

The latest episode was the weakest of the new series so far, it lacked any real oomph and the ending with the arrow was just a bit stupid...

Essence_Smith

Re: Doctor Who

#2 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 am

I like #12 so far and I've only seen the first 2 eps, but I think Capaldi is doing great...I hated that Eccleston's run was so short though, and nope, no one's gonna beat Rose...my fave companion by far...50 years and it keeps growing... :rockon:

tvrec

#3 Post by tvrec » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:58 pm

I think I am missing something essential about the appeal of Doctor Who. I like Peter C. as an actor, and I really liked one of the others (the guy who was in Broadchurch soon to be USA-ified as Gracepoint). BUT I have tried watching the show and it seems like a sci-fi soap opera to me. There are legions upon legions of fans, so what am I not getting?

Essence_Smith

#4 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:54 pm

tvrec wrote:I think I am missing something essential about the appeal of Doctor Who. I like Peter C. as an actor, and I really liked one of the others (the guy who was in Broadchurch soon to be USA-ified as Gracepoint). BUT I have tried watching the show and it seems like a sci-fi soap opera to me. There are legions upon legions of fans, so what am I not getting?
Any on going show could be looked at as a soap opera...I look at DW as a tradition they keep building on and making better...I think each Doctor holds a different appeal which is the brilliant thing about them "regenerating" every few years...

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:56 pm

It doesn't really have any "soap" aspects. Whilst there is character development and interactions, the show isn't about these same interactions and relationships as much - yes that's a part of it, but it's about their adventures...

tvrec: I think you need to watch the "first" season (2005) end to end - smash it on one weekend, and you'll see whether it's for you or not.

The Weeping Angels, The Daleks and The Cybermen are rad bad guys... Captain Jack is cool as too....

ES I would wait until Ep 4 is out and watch 3 and 4 together, that way you will avoid some of the pain of ep 3 by what I hope will be a stellar ep 4...

tvrec

#6 Post by tvrec » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm

nausearockpig wrote: tvrec: I think you need to watch the "first" season (2005) end to end - smash it on one weekend, and you'll see whether it's for you or not.
Thanks for the tip.

erotic cheeses

#7 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Glad you guys enjoy the show, my kids love it (scared the bejesus out of me as a kid) but it seems a bit cheeses and the Robin Hood episode confirmed that for me.. But as you guys clearly are purveyors of quality maybe I am missing something

The uk is enjoying a bit of a renaissance of all things World War One at the moment with some great documentaries/dramas - is the rest of the world having the same? ( it was a "world war" after all)

erotic cheeses

#8 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Cheeses not cheeses

nausearockpig

#9 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah the Robin Hood episode was just terrible.... I watched an old episode from the first doctor the other day, one of he 1967 eps and it too was cheesey but that's only from today's perspective. Watching it back then wouldve been something else.

EC, if u wanna get a good view of what it's like (cheese and all) watch the "new" 2005 season with Eccleston, it starts this whole new batch off really well.

Can't wait for Sunday, a new ep!

Essence_Smith

#10 Post by Essence_Smith » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:36 pm

The 9th Doctor is a great place to start for someone trying to get into it...my man was bad ass...I still wish he'd have stayed on longer, but the older "war doctor" was pretty cool too...they're allowed a bad episode here and there...the different actors/doctors have strong points and weak ones...Tom Baker is still who I really think of and sometimes DW IS indeed "cheesy", but I think it works for different generations for different reasons...I mean come on have you seen the Baker era effects when they had no budget... :lol:

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:The 9th Doctor is a great place to start for someone trying to get into it...my man was bad ass...I still wish he'd have stayed on longer, but the older "war doctor" was pretty cool too...they're allowed a bad episode here and there...the different actors/doctors have strong points and weak ones...Tom Baker is still who I really think of and sometimes DW IS indeed "cheesy", but I think it works for different generations for different reasons...I mean come on have you seen the Baker era effects when they had no budget... :lol:
Yeah I think of that season as the logical place to get (back) into DW. He just comes outta nowhere and BAM! you're on the roller-coaster... We binged them from that season to the end of last season and it was a really great way of doing it.. this week to week thing is a pain!

erotic cheeses

#12 Post by erotic cheeses » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Ex - "no budget" erm no, that's the bbc budget!

Essence_Smith

#13 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:45 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:Ex - "no budget" erm no, that's the bbc budget!
:lol:
They've come a long way from the Tom Baker days though...while his portrayal still holds up, some of those aliens look like bad Halloween costumes now...

Is it bad that I enjoyed the Robin Hood ep a little? :noclue:

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
erotic cheeses wrote:Ex - "no budget" erm no, that's the bbc budget!
:lol:
They've come a long way from the Tom Baker days though...while his portrayal still holds up, some of those aliens look like bad Halloween costumes now...

Is it bad that I enjoyed the Robin Hood ep a little? :noclue:
The RH ep was okay I thought until the bit at the end.. Also (from memory) the explanation of the aliens' use of gold was kinda rushed and left till the end (?). It was a lighter episode and the only bit I thought was just silly and / or tacked on was the end bit with the arrow "tipping the scales"... other than that it was, as usual, a clever idea made into a story...

This week's episode was pretty creepy at the beginning in the bedroom there... Again the concept was a great one - the life form that is adept at hiding, so you don't ever know if it's there... cooool.. and the circular meeting of Clara and The Doctor was cool.. I enjoyed it. Good stuff.. Keen as for the rest of the season especially since I know my fave baddies are coming!!