The all-new Radiohead Thread

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
feathers mcgraw

The all-new Radiohead Thread

#1 Post by feathers mcgraw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/58544

They're releasing a two disc collection of 19 remixes - more than double the amount of stuff that was on the actual (mediocre) album. I wish they'd just do a tour.

krakle

Re: The all-new Radiohead Thread

#2 Post by krakle » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:37 am

19 remixes??? they'd better be interesting...

I have only one record with remixes that's actually good stuff. it's the double album that Billy Martin (Medeski Martin & Wood) put out after he released a 12" with drum beats only. fans & friends could use the beats to create some actual new music. he then compiled a disc of the best remixes that were sent in and released it, both with the original record, on one double album. I think he now even released a box set with that kind of stuff, under the name of illy B. :)

so who did these 19 remixes?

sinep

#3 Post by sinep » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:57 am

they've been releasing them little by little (radiohead pun!) on vinyl. i think there might be 10 tracks or so out? they've been pretty interesting, it's really a wide range of stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TKOL_RMX_1234567

Disc 1
1. "Little By Little Rmx" Caribou
2. "Lotus Flower Rmx" Jacques Greene
3. "Morning Mr Magpie Rmx" Nathan Fake
4. "Bloom Rmx" Harmonic 313
5. "Bloom Rmx" Mark Pritchard
6. "Feral Rmx" Lone
7. "Morning Mr Magpie Scavenger Rmx" Pearson Sound
8. "Separator Rmx" Four Tet
Disc 2

1. "Give Up The Ghost Houseghost Rmx" Thriller
2. "Codex Rmx" Illum Sphere
3. "Little By Little Rmx" Shed
4. "Give Up The Ghost Rmx" Brokenchord
5. "TKOL Rmx" Altrice
6. "Bloom Rmx" Blawan
7. "Good Evening Mrs Magpie Rmx" Modeselektor
8. "Bloom Rmx" Objekt
9. "Bloom Rework" Jamie xx
10. "Separator Rmx" Anstam
11. "Lotus Flower Rmx" SBTRKT

feathers mcgraw

#4 Post by feathers mcgraw » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:46 pm

http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/58656

Playing on the 1st show of the new season of SNL for all you Americans

Bandit72

#5 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:18 am

It's one band I would like to see live.

feathers mcgraw

#6 Post by feathers mcgraw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:52 am

Bandit72 wrote:It's one band I would like to see live.
Yeah, wish they'd just do a tour. I mean really, they could make so much money out of it.

chaos

#7 Post by chaos » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:08 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/arts/ ... &seid=auto
MUSIC REVIEW
An Intimate Moment With Radiohead
By NATE CHINEN
Published: September 29, 2011

During one of many small logistical adjustments at Roseland on Wednesday night, Thom Yorke of Radiohead invited the crowd to picture a smoother, more elaborate show. The piano would rise out of a trap door, he suggested, instead of being wheeled across the stage. There would be no dead air. Somehow a giant inflatable pig would be involved.

“That’s show business,” Mr. Yorke concluded in mock approval. “Until then, it’s going to be like this.”

The crowd seemed fine with those conditions — thrilled, actually. This was an intimate show by Radiohead standards, and one of only two on the band’s visible horizon. (The other will be at Roseland again, on Thursday.) And when Mr. Yorke stepped to the microphone for the next song, maracas in one hand, all delays were quickly forgotten. Against a brackish hum of synthesizers, he sang in a mode of conspiratorial surrender:

I will shape myself into your pocket

Invisible

Do what you want

Do what you want

The song was “Lotus Flower,” a standout from Radiohead’s self-released eighth album, “The King of Limbs,” which dropped out of the ether early this year. And what sounded on record like a coiled contraption was made to feel darker and choppier, at least until the chorus, when Mr. Yorke sidled into his terse but radiant falsetto, his voice glowing over the room like a chandelier.

If smallness was a subtext of Wednesday’s show, it made sense: smallness is one way to understand “The King of Limbs,” which clocks in under 38 minutes, and still manages not to cohere as a whole. It’s an album seemingly designed for atomization, for absorption by the digital metabolism. (Do what you want.) It’s also a meaningful departure from the immersive, unambiguous album-ness of “In Rainbows,” which the band served up in 2007, with a twist. (Pay what you wish.)

The show opened as “The King of Limbs” does, with “Bloom,” a reverie propelled by something like refracted samba rhythm. Philip Selway, Radiohead’s regular drummer, worked busily but stoically — and so did a second drummer, Clive Deamer, hammering at a bank of electronic pads. Lending a third pair of hands on percussion was the band’s lead guitarist, Jonny Greenwood, momentarily hunched over a snare drum and floor tom. The bassist Colin Greenwood served as a movable anchor, shifting the emphasis bar by bar.

Pulse is another way to understand “The King of Limbs,” and by extension, this unfolding phase of Radiohead. In reductive terms, the band has shifted away again from solid riffs and toward diffuse texture, as it did in 2000, on “Kid A” (Capitol). But in the same way that the songs from “Kid A” evolved into rousing live-show fodder — in this show, Mr. Yorke began “Everything in Its Right Place” with an interpolation of “The One I Love,” by R.E.M., hardly an oblique gesture — much of the new material landed with accumulated weight. And at nearly every opportunity, Mr. Yorke was in motion, his gangly but limber dance moves pointing to the savvy behind his self-consciousness.

Some highlights were predictable: in reverse chronological order, “15 Step,” “Myxomatosis,” “Subterranean Homesick Alien.” But there was also “Staircase,” a new-album castoff that the band recently played on “Saturday Night Live.” It moved in an involuted swirl, all loopy cymbals and pecking guitars.

“The Daily Mail,” another song that didn’t make the album’s final cut, began as a wry piano ballad — “The lunatics have taken over the asylum,” cooed Mr. Yorke — and slowly ballooned to epic proportions. Radiohead had performed the song this week on “The Colbert Report,” but not with this much vehemence. After it was over, Mr. Yorke naturally put in a plug for the financial-crisis documentary “Inside Job.”

But uneasy introspection has always suited Radiohead better than moral certitude. To that end, “All I Need,” a self-effacing love letter from “In Rainbows,” was desperate and magnificent; “Codex,” an entreaty with undertones of suicide, conveyed a chilling beauty. And the first song in the encore, “Give Up the Ghost,” had Mr. Yorke on acoustic guitar, sampling his voice to produce a shimmering curtain of vocals. “Don’t haunt me,” went one falsetto refrain, spectral in itself.

What followed that was “The National Anthem,” from “Kid A,” gnarled and driving. And then came “Morning Mr. Magpie,” a whorl of guitar arpeggios and double-exposed drumming from the new album. Mr. Yorke sang its lyrics, about confronting a proverbial thief, with steel in his tone. “Now you’ve stolen all the magic,” he sang at one point, “Took my melody.”

Whatever that meant, the band piled it on, layer upon layer, sounding huge and unperturbed.

sinep

#8 Post by sinep » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:08 pm

good review, but he's probably not a huge radiohead fan because "Subterranean Homesick Alien" was the biggest surprise of the night, definitely not "predictable."

setlist was a little short, usually they're around 23-26 songs, but i would have killed to have been there. especially for subterranean homesick alien.
1 Bloom
2 Little By Little
3 Staircase
4 Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
5 Feral
6 Subterranean Homesick Alien (first performance since Red Rocks 2003) Thom: ‘This is a piano’ as its being moved center stage. ‘anyone know a joke about a piano?.. This one is slightly older than the other one’
7 All I Need
8 The One I Love/Everything In Its Right Place
9 Lotus Flower (Thom: “That’s the video when I officially became an embarrassing dad. And I’m proud of it.”)
10 15 Step
11 Myxomatosis
12 Codex
13 The Daily Mail
14 Bodysnatchers
15 Reckoner

Encore

16 Give Up The Ghost (just Thom and Jonny)
17 The National Anthem
18 Good Morning Mr Magpie

Encore 2

19 Street Spirit (Fade Out)
20 Nude – Thom: ‘This one is called Nude. You probably should help me. Cause I’m obviously going senile. New Yaawk!’

cabangbangq

#9 Post by cabangbangq » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

Subterranean Homesick Alien is such a gorgeous song. It has a very spiritually moving quality to it. I hope this becomes a staple of the live show

sinep

#10 Post by sinep » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 am

tonight's slightly better, i would have loved to see like spinning plates, subterranean, and supercollider.
1. Bloom
2. Little By Little
3. Staircase
4. The National Anthem
5. Feral
6. Subterranean Homesick Alien
7. Like Spinning Plates
8. All I Need
9. True Love Waits/Everything In Its Right Place
10. 15 Step
11. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
12. Lotus Flower
13. Codex
14. The Daily Mail
15. Good Morning Mr Magpie
16. Reckoner

Encore

17. Give Up The Ghost (just Thom and Jonny)
18. Myxomatosis
19. Bodysnatchers

Encore 2

20. Supercollider (full band – first time it has been played with the band)
21. Nude

pretty cool, both colin and jonny greenwood on bass.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#11 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

Try as I might, I just don't "get" Radiohead. I like some of their stuff, but most of it seems really pretentious and boring.

guysmiley

#12 Post by guysmiley » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:01 am

hokahey wrote:Try as I might, I just don't "get" Radiohead. I like some of their stuff, but most of it seems really pretentious and boring.
Take up smoking weed? :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#13 Post by Hokahey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:20 pm

guysmiley wrote:
hokahey wrote:Try as I might, I just don't "get" Radiohead. I like some of their stuff, but most of it seems really pretentious and boring.

What's this "weed?"

kv

#14 Post by kv » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 pm

guysmiley wrote:
weed makes me wanna turn it off faster then normal

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:39 am

I love The Bends and OK Computer namely because it was a good balance for the other two albums I listened to the most during those times:

Rock For Light
Kaya

Not Sure why but I made a play list from both Bends/OK and would listen to that after those two albums... but I haven't really been into them since but I will say they still kill it live.

sinep

#16 Post by sinep » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:15 pm

best new's i've ever heard ever:
Thom Yorke to finish Atoms For Peace album by end of this year

Thom Yorke wants to finish an Atoms For Peace album by the end of this year. Recordings with Flea and Nigel Godrich features a lot of solo stuff too.
In a Rolling Stone interview Thom Yorke talked about Radiohead’s upcoming plans, but also on a follow-up on The Eraser, played live with his other band Atoms For Peace last year.
Rolling Stone:
Thom Yorke is determined to finish his new Atoms for Peace album by the end of the year. It is likely to feature recordings from the sessions Yorke did in 2010 with his touring band of that name, whose members include Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich and bassist Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The album has “a lot of solo stuff as well,” Yorke adds. But, he confesses, “It’s not good enough yet.” He and Godrich “were excited about it for so long, then we kind of lost our way. So we’re taking some steps back.”
Producer of Radiohead’s and Thom Yorke’s albums and part of Atoms For Peace added: “The genesis was more like The Eraser – Thom and I in the studio,” Godrich says, referring to Yorke’s 2006 solo album. “The idea was to generate the music, then record the band. We did that. Some of it worked. We also went back to some of the electronic stuff. It’s still in flux. We’re waiting for the lightning bolt to strike.”
In an earlier interview in that same Rolling Stone, Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea talked about the forthcoming album:
“At the end of the tour we went into a studio for three days and just jammed – totally improvising,” says Flea. “Thom and Nigel have taken that stuff and done shit with it. I’ve heard little bits and pieces. I have no idea when it’s going to come out. Not real soon though.”
Flea says that many people have the wrong perception of Yorke. “People always think about him and talk about as this really cerebral artist,” he says. “Especially when we were playing together. People would go, ‘Thom is so cerebral and Flea is just an animal.’ But Thom is the type of musician who doesn’t think at all. He goes totally on feeling and intuition. Whereas I’m like, ‘You can try a G7 chord with a diminished fifth, that might be proper.’ My point is that he’s such a beautiful, natural and exciting musician. Also, his relationship with Nigel is so cool, Nigel being this organizational, producery-type guy. They’re going to have something incredible. I have complete faith in them.”
He refuses to describe the sound of the new material. “I kinda feel like it’s not really my place to talk about that stuff,” he says. “The mystery should be the mystery.” He does think they will tour again at some point. “I imagine that will probably happen,” he says. “I hope that happens. I just have a warm place in my heart and my mind and my balls for the whole fucking concept.”
without a doubt one of the best shows i've been to, probably the best.

perkana

#17 Post by perkana » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Tonight's setlist:

Before Your Very Eyes...
The Clock
Ingenue
Stuck Together Pieces
Unless
And It Rained All Night
Harrowdown Hill
Dropped
Cymbal Rush

Encore:
Skip Divided
Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses
Rabbit in Your Headlights
(UNKLE cover)
Paperbag Writer
(Radiohead cover)
Amok

Encore 2:
Atoms for Peace
Black Swan

:love: :wiggle: :rockon: :heart:

kv

#18 Post by kv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:33 pm

glad you got a good set

Pandemonium

#19 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Flea plays a big part in it, but I like Atoms (and Thom in this band) much more than Radiohead.

perkana

#20 Post by perkana » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm

I agree with you Pande. Though I think that if there is another Radiohead tour, I would go. Live they are amazing

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Radiohead's unused title song for the James Bond movie "Spectre:"

https://soundcloud.com/radiohead/spectre

Matz

#22 Post by Matz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:02 pm

pretty good idea NOT to use that for a Bond movie

perkana

#23 Post by perkana » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Radiohead's unused title song for the James Bond movie "Spectre:"

https://soundcloud.com/radiohead/spectre
What the opening credits would have sounded like with it...

sinep

#24 Post by sinep » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:14 am

GOT MY TICKETS FOR THE SHRINE AUDITORIUM THIS AUG WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perkana

#25 Post by perkana » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm

I'm passing on this tour, enjoy sinep :wave: