Smashing Pumpkins Theater Tour Dates

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
feathers mcgraw

Re: Smashing Pumpkins Theater Tour Dates

#26 Post by feathers mcgraw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Sure, As Rome Burns is great, but this...is horrible.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 pm

They're both horrible. :wavesad:

cashinnowperry

#28 Post by cashinnowperry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:29 pm

hokahey wrote:They're both horrible. :wavesad:
sad wave?! i didn't know we had one of them! perfect when discussing bands who were great in the late 80s and 90s and then petered out.

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:Sure, As Rome Burns is great, but this...is horrible.

it's actually funny to listen to it cause its so bad

Pandemonium

#30 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:57 pm

That's the first time I've heard WWMM and it's pretty awful. The drums which under Chamberlain and even on Adore where often a highlight of any given song (even mellow ones) are so compressed and shitty sounding, it's like someone bippity-boppin' on tissue boxes on this track.

I checked on picking up a ticket to The Wiltern show Friday afternoon but it had already sold out so I guess the SP name is still a decent draw despite the huge creative decline from the band's heyday.

Deconstruction

#31 Post by Deconstruction » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:24 pm

I paid the same price to see Billy actually playing with Jimmy a few years ago. No point in seeing Billy without Jimmy, especially with Billy's recent shitty output.

Pandemonium

#32 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 pm

I just watched a 2010 Mexico concert on the Palladium HD channel which pretty much made up my mind to pass on the local date unless someone can convince me things have drastically changed in the last 12 months.

I really hated the "new" arrangements on several classic songs, especially Adore and Zero. They pretty much sound like shit, imo. The current band is competent but unmemorable - the chick bass player wants so much to be D'arcy/Auf der Maur, it ain't funny. But the deal killer was about 2/3rds into the show, Billy's starting an acoustic song and out comes a trio of Mexican "wrestlers" who go into this shtick about how shitty the concert is and which point Billy smacks one of them and it devolves into a typically phony WWF brawl onstage which finishes when everyone takes a bow like it's the end of a stage production - embarrassingly awful.

MYXYLPLYX

#33 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Pandemonium wrote: [snip]

embarrassingly awful.

drifter

#34 Post by drifter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:44 am

Playing just their third show of the year, The Cure headlined the U.K.’s Bestival tonight, delivering a 32-song set filled with hits and a few lesser-aired tracks — including the first performance of “The Caterpillar” in 20 years — with a lineup that included the return of keyboardist Roger O’Donnell, who says he’s back in the band for the third time.

Tonight’s setlist is reproduced below (via Chain of Flowers), and while it’s a somewhat standard 2000s-era festival set, there were a few surprises, including “The Hungry Ghost,” an album cut from 2008′s 4.13 Dream, and only the second performance of “The Caterpillar” since the band’s 1984 tour (it last had been played during a 1991 taping of “MTV Unplugged”).
Going into tonight’s show, the band’s lineup was something of a mystery. On stage, Robert Smith was joined by bassist Simon Gallup and drummer Jason Cooper, both mainstays, plus O’Donnell, who had sat in, along with long-estranged keyboardist Lol Tolhurst, for parts of The Cure’s pair of epic “Reflections” concerts in Sydney earlier this year.
It appears, though, that O’Donnell is now fully back in the band — for the third time. In an e-mail sent to fans about 15 minutes into tonight’s show, O’Donnell writes:
Yes I am on stage playing with the band again and hopefully 15 minutes in I haven’t played any wrong notes! Robert asked me about a month ago to play Bestival and I was very happy to say yes. Playing these songs again, old friends, being up on stage with Robert, Simon and Jason who are really family to me, it is all right. Looking forward I’m sure there will lots of exciting Cure projects in the future which I am very excited to be a part of again…
As he was in Sydney, longtime guitarist Porl Thompson — who rejoined for a third stint around 2005 — did not appear with the band, meaning Smith was the only guitar player, despite the fact that some of the band’s songs traditionally have been played with as many as three guitarists. While no announcement has been made, it appears Thompson is no longer in The Cure.
Above, you can see one of the many great photos posted on the Bestival site. Below we’ve got the setlist, and, as soon as video starts posting, we’ll be sharing that, too.

Setlist: The Cure @ Bestival, Isle of Wight, UK, 9/10/11
1. “Plainsong”
2. “Open”
3. “Fascination Street”
4. “A Night Like This”
5. “The End of the World”
6. “Lovesong”
7. “Just Like Heaven”
8. “The Only One”
9. “The Walk”
10. “Push”
11. “Friday I’m In Love”
12. “Inbetween Days”
13. “Play For Today”
14. “A Forest”
15. “Primary”
16. “Shake Dog Shake”
17. “The Hungry Ghost”
18. “100 Years”
19. “End”
20. “Disintegration”
21. “Lullaby”
22. “The Lovecats”
23. “The Caterpillar”
24. “Close to Me”
25. “Hot Hot Hot!!!”
26. “Let’s Go to Bed”
27. “Why Can’t I Be You?”
28. “Boys Don’t Cry”
29. “Jumping Someone Else’s Train”
30. “Grinding Halt”
31. “10:15 Saturday Night”
32. “Killing An Arab”

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/201...oger-odonnell/

Hokahey
Site Admin

#35 Post by Hokahey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 am

Pandemonium wrote:I just watched a 2010 Mexico concert on the Palladium HD channel which pretty much made up my mind to pass on the local date unless someone can convince me things have drastically changed in the last 12 months.

I really hated the "new" arrangements on several classic songs, especially Adore and Zero. They pretty much sound like shit, imo. The current band is competent but unmemorable - the chick bass player wants so much to be D'arcy/Auf der Maur, it ain't funny. But the deal killer was about 2/3rds into the show, Billy's starting an acoustic song and out comes a trio of Mexican "wrestlers" who go into this shtick about how shitty the concert is and which point Billy smacks one of them and it devolves into a typically phony WWF brawl onstage which finishes when everyone takes a bow like it's the end of a stage production - embarrassingly awful.
I saw that too. Say what will you will about Perry, but at least he's not touring Jane's with a group of lookalikes having staged wrestling matches on stage.