Smashing Pumpkins Theater Tour Dates

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Smashing Pumpkins Theater Tour Dates

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:48 am

I'll probably hit The Wiltern show, more because it's the Wiltern versus the Pumpkins.

Oct. 05 - Wiltern Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
Oct. 07 - The Fox Theatre - Oakland, CA
Oct. 08 - Cosmopolitan - Las Vegas, NV
Oct. 10 - Ogdan Theatre - Denver, CO
Oct. 13 - Riverside Theatre - Milwaukee, WI
Oct. 14 – [to be announced] - Chicago, IL
Oct. 15 - The Fillmore - Detroit, MI
Oct. 17 – 9:30 Club - Washington, DC
Oct. 18 - Terminal 5 - New York, NY
Oct. 19 - Lupo's - Providence, RI
Oct. 21 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA
Oct. 22 - Tower Theatre - Philadelphia PA

creep
Site Admin

Re: Smashing Pumpkins Theater Tour Dates

#2 Post by creep » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 am

i'm not sure they could play bigger places than theaters at this point. i have no desire to see them but the fox theater in oakland is a cool place to see a show.

sinep

#3 Post by sinep » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:27 am

so being a long time casual fan and never seeing them live, i was all set to buy tickets to the wiltern show.

then i checked my inbox, and saw this picture from KROQ:

is that a fucking joke? the smashing pumpkins have been reduced to james iha's half-white cousin, some 14 year old kid who looks like he should be a bus boy at a teppan restaurant, and what appears to be the woman who works at the coffee shop down the street from my house?

and why does uncle fester have origami hanging from his arms?

and why does he fill his guitar and bassist positions with gender and ethnic equivalents of the members they've replaced? that can't be an accident.

there's no way i'm going to go see that pile of shit.

guysmiley

#4 Post by guysmiley » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 am

Wow. Kind of going a Satellite Party route with the Pumpkins. :confused:
I tried like hell to get tickets to their last small shows venue tour in 99. Wish I had seen that.

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:23 am

creep wrote:i'm not sure they could play bigger places than theaters at this point.
is that right? Pretty surprising to me because they have that big catalogue of great songs and was a huge band in the 90's.

kv

#6 Post by kv » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 am

guysmiley wrote:I tried like hell to get tickets to their last small shows venue tour in 99. Wish I had seen that.
i got insane lucky had a friend win radio tickets saw em at the roxy in hollywood ...what turned out to be d'arcys last show...was pretty epic

Matov

#7 Post by Matov » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 am

i saw em here in buenos aires last year. with the kid on drums, and the lookalikes on bass and guitar. man, they fucking rocked.
they'd been to argentina in 98, during the adore tour and even though i couldn't make it, it is known for being one of the biggest letdown shows of the past twenty years, along with prince playing a 45 minute show and the cult playing with ian astbury's voice completely shot. that 98 tour had d'arcy and james, i'm not sure why people hated it so much...
but, once again let me tell you, last year's show rocked.
smashing pumpkins is pretty much in between going the satellite party way and NIN, where the lead man IS the band. Only Reznor tends to avoid cheesyness (i.e. that cooky origami picture) and Corgan embraces it and makes spiritual websites and :blah: . Still, put that man a guitar in his hands and he will blow most of his naysayers out of the water.
if you get a chance to see them in a small venue, i reccomend you take it.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#8 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:18 am

Listening to old Pumpkins (pre mellon collie) always makes me to sad to get in to new pumpkins. It just cant compare. Mayonaise and Drown are as good as rock music gets.

Juana

#9 Post by Juana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 am

They should have an Austin date :no:

feathers mcgraw

#10 Post by feathers mcgraw » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 pm

hokahey wrote:Listening to old Pumpkins (pre mellon collie) always makes me to sad to get in to new pumpkins. It just cant compare. Mayonaise and Drown are as good as rock music gets.
This is the truth. The new stuff just doesn't add up. Billy needs to keep his ego in check.

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:39 pm

feathers mcgraw wrote:
hokahey wrote:Listening to old Pumpkins (pre mellon collie) always makes me to sad to get in to new pumpkins. It just cant compare. Mayonaise and Drown are as good as rock music gets.
This is the truth. The new stuff just doesn't add up. Billy needs to keep his ego in check.
I don't get that criticism at all, what's wrong with the Adore album fx? I think it's brillant, possibly their best

Hokahey
Site Admin

#12 Post by Hokahey » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Matz wrote:
feathers mcgraw wrote:
I don't get that criticism at all, what's wrong with the Adore album fx? I think it's brillant, possibly their best
I'm not honestly sure I heard more than the title track. But that was enough for me to know old Pumpkins were dead. Siamese Dream was their best. Psychedlic stadium sized shoe-gaze. It took everything Gish hinted at and brought it to an amazing peak.

Smokestack

#13 Post by Smokestack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Hoka, if you didn't listen to all of Adore, you need to.

Adore is easily one of my all time favorite albums. In the top 10 anyway. It doesn't sound anything like the other records they/he came out with. It came out during an interesting time in my life and I look at that album as a time capsule of that moment. You're missing out on something amazing if you don't go back and check it out.

By the way, that publicity photo is fucking gay.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#14 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 am

Smokestack wrote: It doesn't sound anything like the other records they/he came out with.

You're not really selling me on it.

Matov

#15 Post by Matov » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

Hoka, if you´re expecting arena shoegaze, then i don't think you need to move away from Gish/Siamese Dream.
there might be some of what you look for in a pumpkins record in machina, but still, there's no need for that having the first two albums.

Adore is a really sad, sad album. I ditto what smokestack said about it coming out in a particular moment in my life, thus holding it really close to my heart. but its so different from the original albums, that it might be too far of a stretch if its not your cup of tea.

I can relate to Corgan's constant change of style and sonics, though. Might be the pisces in him, but he seems to be inspired by different people at different times. One moment he'll try to channel Brian May, the next minute he's in a bob dylan kind of mood, then he's a bit more sabbath-y, then he goes all goth and tries to be robert smith or something.

and though he's been getting shit on lately for using the smashing pumpkins moniker, i think he's put out some quality songs since the reunion. not all of them, but here are a few examples of songs i do like:

:wave:

Smokestack

#16 Post by Smokestack » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

hokahey wrote:
Smokestack wrote: It doesn't sound anything like the other records they/he came out with.

You're not really selling me on it.
But it doesn't suck.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#17 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 am

I liked "Eye" from the Lost Highway soundtrack (great film and great soundtrack), but only as sort of a one off kind of deal. I dunno. For me, when I hear Billy's voice I am immediately taken back to Siamese Dream and I long for that dreamy, summertime, massive wall of noise psychedelia.

Pandemonium

#18 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

hokahey wrote:I liked "Eye" from the Lost Highway soundtrack (great film and great soundtrack), but only as sort of a one off kind of deal. I dunno. For me, when I hear Billy's voice I am immediately taken back to Siamese Dream and I long for that dreamy, summertime, massive wall of noise psychedelia.
I'm more or less a casual fan of the band and Corgan's solo stuff but I rank "Adore" as my favorite SP album.

Tyler Durden

#19 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm a big Pumpkins fan (since '91) and I think Adore is their best album. :nod:

cashinnowperry

#20 Post by cashinnowperry » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm

heard on the radio that they were touring, took me a minute to realize "oh wow...they said smashing pumpkins. this is a big deal." then i saw the picture sinep posted. :no:

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 pm

cashinnowperry wrote:heard on the radio that they were touring, took me a minute to realize "oh wow...they said smashing pumpkins. this is a big deal." then i saw the picture sinep posted. :no:
In Corgan's defense, he's dressed in far more laughable outfits then that in the past.

But the current ethnic and gender specific-to-past-members lineup is just sad.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#22 Post by Hokahey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

sinep wrote: Image

La da la da da di, ultra payloaded...

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Yeah but I doubt the music will be that bad, give Billy a little credit.

feathers mcgraw

#24 Post by feathers mcgraw » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:39 pm

I loved everything they did up to Machina and Machina 2, they were probably my favourite band for a very long time. Since the reunion though, there's been little sparks of greatness (the guitar solo in A song for a son, Tom Tom), but a LOT of shit.

esqfool

#25 Post by esqfool » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:00 pm

I'd go see them and am kind of planning on it with a few friends. Saw em in 2008 here in St. Louis. This is a new song and to me there's nothing wrong with it at all:

http://youtu.be/JZe1XyFKFq8

Definitely not Gish or Siamese Dream, but I can get into it for sure.

edit: Guess youtube links don't jive on here