House of Cards (Netflix)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hokahey
Site Admin

Re: House of Cards (Netflix)

#21 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm

creep wrote:ok i marathoned through all 13 episodes. really good series. i think it's a pretty accurate portrayal of just how fucked up our political system is. the best character/actor in the series is/was russo. it's all set up for a second season. i hope there is one.

2nd season already confirmed

SR

#22 Post by SR » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:07 am

Broke down and got a Roku....on episode 3. Show shows great promise.

SR

#23 Post by SR » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Powered through it all. Ready for season 2.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#24 Post by Hokahey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 am

SR wrote:Powered through it all. Ready for season 2.
I marathoned the hell out of that show. I think I finished it in 3 days.

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:28 pm

I watched it over the course of about a week or so a couple of weeks back. It was good.

Spoilers below.

My only real problem was when ____ killed _____. It seemed unnecessary, and the risk-to-benefit ratio made it seem a very poor calculation. Plus, we know the guy is capable of a lot, but even if he were to suddenly decide someone should be offed, you'd think someone with more experience and a lower profile might handle it.

That said, I realize that it's of importance to the Macbeth/Richard III-inspired tale, and that if _____ hadn't done that there would be a lot less at stake in the coming season. Setting up a guy to fail is pretty horrible, but killing him is something else entirely. I guess we can expect the ex-whore to squeal at some point. Unless they decide to off her as well. If it's really a house of cards, at some point it has to come tumbling down or the title would be meaningless.

creep
Site Admin

#26 Post by creep » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Jasper wrote:
My only real problem was when ____ killed _____. It seemed unnecessary, and the risk-to-benefit ratio made it seem a very poor calculation. Plus, we know the guy is capable of a lot, but even if he were to suddenly decide someone should be offed, you'd think someone with more experience and a lower profile might handle it.
plus in any decent building's parking garage there are cameras. no way he would have taken that chance and done it himself. they also fucked up by killing the most interesting character in the series.

ellis

#27 Post by ellis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

Just got around to watching this. 4 episodes in and I'm hooked!

sinep

#28 Post by sinep » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:52 pm

i watched it all a couple weeks ago.

i loved it.

has anybody seen the original bbc series? how closely does this follow it?

farrellgirl99

#29 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:43 pm

just finished watching this. only took me 11 months

the advantage to that is i only have to wait a month for the next season.

it definitely went over the top near the end, but i love political drama so im excited.

Larry B.

#30 Post by Larry B. » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Also looking forward to watching the 2nd season. Really accurate portrayal of how politics work. I'm sure I can't be the only one here with a close political connection, but everything that happens in the series is absolutely plausible, except [SPOILERS FOR SEASON 1] in real life a top politician would not kill a man, but have him killed.

SR

#31 Post by SR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:46 pm

My political connection was a policy writer, speech writer, campaign manager, election monitor for the bill Clinton years. There's more but nothing more to do with the executive branch. Nothing, absolutely nothing about its machinations was ever discussed. Not even close.

:edit: come to think of it, his most impressive achievement to me was the fact that he was the first summa cum laude graduate from Harvard law in a decade. Dude is off the charts smart.

Larry B.

#32 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Well, I'm still somewhat close to a couple of persons who work in high places in the government; I'm talking about people who connect talks to the president using their first name. I'm quite familiar with all the types of lobby that goes around. Also many lawyers who represent different governmental organizations and stuff.

So yeah, this series has been very attractive to me.

SR

#33 Post by SR » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 pm

And these persons stories are similar to house of cards?

Larry B.

#34 Post by Larry B. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Well... you know, plenty of people asking for return favors, acknowledged-but-overlooked infidelities, placing people in a position of power that would in turn give you more access to people on positions of power, etc.

I'm pretty sure every single democratic government works that way.

SR

#35 Post by SR » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 am

Some obvious comparisons, but worth the read.....anyone have thoughts on the allusions to Shakes?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

creep
Site Admin

#36 Post by creep » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:16 am

i just watched the first episode of season 2. i was hoping that the series would become more believable but after what happened to zoe it's all out the window now. no way he would take that risk plus there are cameras everywhere. good thing she erased everything off her phone right before it happened. :eyes:

Jasper

#37 Post by Jasper » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:23 pm

creep wrote:i just watched the first episode of season 2. i was hoping that the series would become more believable but after what happened to zoe it's all out the window now. no way he would take that risk plus there are cameras everywhere. good thing she erased everything off her phone right before it happened. :eyes:
I was just so glad about that turn of events that I didn't care too much about the believability.

creep
Site Admin

#38 Post by creep » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:i just watched the first episode of season 2. i was hoping that the series would become more believable but after what happened to zoe it's all out the window now. no way he would take that risk plus there are cameras everywhere. good thing she erased everything off her phone right before it happened. :eyes:
I was just so glad about that turn of events that I didn't care too much about the believability.
i tend to overlook the fact than a character might me annoying if they are hot. i think i did that with her.

i was also bothered about the wife and her lawsuit. so just because she cancelled that woman's insurance her baby will now die.

ok i will not bitch about the show and i will enjoy the rest of it. episode two starts now...

farrellgirl99

#39 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:56 pm

im up to episode six :conf:

in my defense, it is snowing out again and i didnt want to leave the house today anyway

Jasper

#40 Post by Jasper » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:17 pm

creep wrote:i tend to overlook the fact than a character might me annoying if they are hot. i think i did that with her.
That's the thing. I don't find the actress hot at all. I think she's really weird looking. So I don't like the character or the actress. Now her sister, Rooney Mara, I find to be truly hot. :nod:
farrellgirl99 wrote:im up to episode six :conf:

in my defense, it is snowing out again and i didnt want to leave the house today anyway
You don't need to make excuses. I'm up to episode four. Granted it's been snowing a lot, but I'd be up to episode four anyway. :noclue:

farrellgirl99

#41 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:i tend to overlook the fact than a character might me annoying if they are hot. i think i did that with her.
That's the thing. I don't find the actress hot at all. I think she's really weird looking. So I don't like the character or the actress. Now her sister, Rooney Mara, I find to be truly hot. :nod:
farrellgirl99 wrote:im up to episode six :conf:

You don't need to make excuses. I'm up to episode four. Granted it's been snowing a lot, but I'd be up to episode four anyway. :noclue:
thats true. though now my eyes are hurting so im taking a break. i feel like its a race to watch the whole season before someone spoils it for me

Juana

#42 Post by Juana » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm on episode 9 of the new season and wow from episode 1 on its been pretty awesome so far. I have really been digging it.

farrellgirl99

#43 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

and i finished.

predictable in the end but fun to get there. and without spoiling it, what happened between the three people in episode 11 was so great.

Larry B.

#44 Post by Larry B. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:01 pm

I haven't read a thing from this thread to avoid spoilers, but today we watched the first 2 episodes of the second season. My girlfriend couldn't believe the big twist in the first episode and I loved it.

Also, the ass from Zoe was mighty fine.

creep
Site Admin

#45 Post by creep » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 pm

spoiler alert

kevin spacey throws like a 9 year old girl