Peter Murphy Fucks Up

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: Peter Murphy Fucks Up

#21 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:50 pm

I'm digging the new Peter Murphy tune...very Sisters of Mercy-ish.
His new album is coming out in June along with another tour. I will probably go see him again.

The Godfather of Goth, Peter Murphy, is back with Lion, his 10th studio LP. While Lion won’t hit until June 3, the first single, Hang Up will be available April 8 with an exclusive 7″ remix available April 19 for Record Store Day.

Meanwhile, you can check out the video for Hang Up below the US tour dates. Let us know if you like the heavy sound of the lead single.

Peter Murphy tour 2014

May 22—LVCS—Las Vegas, Nevada
May 23—Crescent Ballroom—Phoenix, Arizona
May 24—Rialto Theater—Tucson, Arizona
May 27—Belmont Theater—Austin, Texas
May 28—Granada Theater—Dallas, Texas
May 29—Scout Bar—Houston, Texas
May 31—One Eyed Jacks—New Orleans, Louisiana
June 1—Highdive—Gainesville, Florida
June 3—Grand Central—Miami, Florida
June 4—Orpheum Theater—Tampa, Florida
June 6—Terminal West—Atlanta, Georgia
June 7—Tremont Theater—Charlotte, North Carolina
June 8—State Theatre—Falls Church, Virginia
June 9—Irving Plaza—New York, New York
June 11—The Outer Space—Hamden, Connecticut
June 12—Paradise Club—Boston, Massachusetts
June 13—Trocadero—Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
June 14—Town Ballroom—Buffalo, New York
June 16—Lee’s Palace—Toronto, Ontario
June 17—Magic Stick—Detroit, Michigan
June 18—Firebird—St. Louis, Missouri
June 20—Double Door—Chicago, Illinois
June 21—Waiting Room—Omaha, Nebraska
June 22—Riot Room—Kansas City, Missouri
June 24—Summit Music Hall—Denver, Colorado
June 25—The Depot—Salt Lake City, Utah
June 27—Rickshaw Theatre—Vancouver, British Columbia
June 28—Showbox Theater—Seattle, Washington
June 29—Star Theater—Portland, Oregon
July 1—Regency Theater—San Francisco, California
July 2—Belly-Up Tavern—San Diego, California
July 3, 5—Fonda Theater—Los Angeles, California

Pandemonium

#22 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Artemis wrote:I'm digging the new Peter Murphy tune...very Sisters of Mercy-ish.
His new album is coming out in June along with another tour. I will probably go see him again.
Yeah, that tune isn't bad at all, sounds like it could be an out-take from Bowie's 1995 "Outside" album.

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Here's another song from his new album..

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

So I've been giving Murphy's latest, "Lion" some time the past few days. Didn't know it was produced by Killing Joke's bassist/producer Youth. Unfortunately, the production is a big part of why this album isn't better. Murphy mostly sounds like he's singing in a indoor racquetball court, there's so much echo and reverb going on it's hard to make out what he's singing. The first few songs are the best of the lot (notably "Hang Up") but I like his earlier album "Ninth" a lot better.

BTW, this also came with a 2nd live CD from Murphy's recent Bauhaus covers tour. All the usual songs included, nothing from "Go Away White" though. His band is not very good and the guitarist often butchers and slops through his parts (Stigmata Martyr is particularly dire). It doesn't help that the recording is at a very low volume and lacks any presence.

Artemis

#25 Post by Artemis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:11 pm

I saw Peter Murphy AGAIN back in June. The new songs didn't sound that great live. The band was okay but PM didn't sound very good live. I felt he was just going through the numbers, bit of a let down. I decided that I am done with seeing PM live again.
Here's a little vid I rook and my first try at using youtube.

Pandemonium

#26 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Artemis wrote:I saw Peter Murphy AGAIN back in June. The new songs didn't sound that great live. The band was okay but PM didn't sound very good live. I felt he was just going through the numbers, bit of a let down. I decided that I am done with seeing PM live again.
Here's a little vid I rook and my first try at using youtube.

I rike your clip (heh).

Seriously, it sounds like the band and Murphy slip in and out of tempo with each other half a dozen times through that song. He seems to play locally about 2-3 times a year here in SoCal and I keep thinking maybe I'll see him and then a clip of whatever current tour he's doing pops up on my radar and I say fuck it, stick with the Bauhaus reunion(s) memories and leave it at that.

Artemis

#27 Post by Artemis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am

Some Peter Murphy news...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/peter ... 201601095/
Bauhaus Founder Peter Murphy to Star in Horror Pic

Goth rock pioneer and Bauhaus founder Peter Murphy, is set to star in “BlackGloveKiller,” a psychological horror film to be directed by Canadian-based filmmaker Chris Alexander.

The duo is set to begin later this year filming a story that they described as “an erotic, violent fever dream driven by mood, music and atmosphere.” “BlackGloveKiller” tells the story of a beautiful predator named Miranda who hunts for prey at night.

Alexander, who also wrote the film, said it “really aims to be a horror film like no other horror film, one that nods to its influence but is still distinctly the product of my own imagination.” The director previously made the horror pics “Blood of Irina” and “Female Werewolf.”

Murphy, whose music has been heard in “The Vampire Diaries” and “The Butterfly Effect,” also appeared in “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.”

The film is also set to star Skinny Puppy vocalist Nivek Ogre. Cinematography will be provided by Canadian Gabriel Carrer.

blackula

#28 Post by blackula » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:44 pm

I saw an article on Facebook about Peter Murphy having a bouncer fired for eating a hamburger during his set. It won't let me copy/paste, it's a Boston Globe article and can be looked up. The comments were interesting, one side was the guy probably had no break and was hungry and the other side was what a disrespectful dick for eating on the job and good for Peter Murphy. I think, whatever....why let some meathead distract you?

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:19 pm

blackula wrote:I saw an article on Facebook about Peter Murphy having a bouncer fired for eating a hamburger during his set. It won't let me copy/paste, it's a Boston Globe article and can be looked up. The comments were interesting, one side was the guy probably had no break and was hungry and the other side was what a disrespectful dick for eating on the job and good for Peter Murphy. I think, whatever....why let some meathead distract you?
"A bouncer at the Middle East nightclub has been fired after former Bauhaus frontman Peter Murphy complained that the guard was eating a hamburger and fries during his show Friday. Murphy, whose concert at the Cambridge club was sold out, briefly left the stage after confronting the guard about eating so close to the stage during the show.

Not famous for his sunny disposition, Murphy told the crowd he would not return until the bouncer was removed. The guard was ushered out and the 59-year-old “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” singer returned to finish the show. A rep for the Middle East told us Tuesday that the guard who had been eating during the show has been fired and a second bouncer involved in the incident has been suspended.

Cambridge massage therapist Emily Taylor, a longtime fan of Murphy’s music, was at the show and thinks the security guard was in the wrong. The singer might have been a little grumpy already, she said, but the bouncer should have walked away as soon as Murphy called him out for eating next to the stage.

“They nearly got into a physical altercation,” Taylor said. “[The guard] got pissed at Peter Murphy. You don’t escalate the problem if you’re working security at a venue. You just don’t.”"

Murphy and a bouncer in a piss-fest, lol. I'd love to see YouTube viddy of this. None to be found yet though.

phenobarb_bambalam

#30 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Pandemonium wrote: Murphy and a bouncer in a piss-fest, lol. I'd love to see YouTube viddy of this. None to be found yet though.
Oh, the never-ending comedy of the Murphster....

Pandemonium

#31 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 pm

"Bauhaus co-founders Peter Murphy and David J Haskins are set to celebrate the band’s 40th Anniversary with a “Ruby Celebration” tour, named after the gemstone issued for 40 year wedding anniversaries.

The tour sees the two as half of the quartet in the group hailed as The Godfathers of Goth playing their debut album In The Flat Field in its entirety, as well as promising an extended encore of Bauhaus classics during dates scheduled this autumn across Europe and Australia."

http://www.post-punk.com/peter-murp...s ... -tour/amp/

It's funny how over the years the four guys (Murphy, Ash, Haskins, DJ) split off into all these different configurations and pairings but they can't seem to keep it together as a foursome.