Prince

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Prince

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 pm

4 shows over 2 nights (so far) at the fairly small, intimate Grove in Anaheim (holds about 1800 people, all GA), CA went on sale this afternoon. He's doing an 8:00 and 11:30 show on May 7th and 8th. I could have picked up tickets but at $200 a pop, a little too pricey for me.

Artemis

Re: Prince

#2 Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Prince is worth every cent.
I've seen him about 4 times over the years and his shows have never disappointed.

ant

#3 Post by ant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:25 pm

He's doing the same thing in San Francisco. Tix here are $250 + $25 service fee. I had tickets in my cart but ultimately passed. I've seen 3 times going back to the Purple Rain tour but those prices are ridiculous. That's just gouging fans IMO.

Romeo

#4 Post by Romeo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:22 am

I dunno, when he did the MSG residency I paid $40 :noclue: Don't know why they are charging so much

But I agree with Artemis....WORTH. EVERY. PENNY

And where the hell is Juanas with the SXSW report???? :waits: I heard he played 2 1/2 hours and had like 5 encores

SR

#5 Post by SR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am

I got mine. The last time I saw him was musicology. I left that show and was tempted to spring for 2gs for an all night show at the hob the same night. Prince is god.

Matz

#6 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:38 pm

who's in his band nowadays? Except for the danish bass player of course...mmhmm :cool: Dolphy, Sheila E, Maceo?

MYXYLPLYX

#7 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Romeo wrote:WORTH. EVERY. PENNY

...that said, I'm not dropping the coin, but I'll take their call if they want to pay me. :nod:

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Matz wrote:who's in his band nowadays? Except for the danish bass player of course...mmhmm :cool: Dolphy, Sheila E, Maceo?
aside from the danish bass player is what I meant to say :noclue: :no:

SR

#9 Post by SR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am

:noclue: ,but I am hoping for John Blackwell on drums.

tvrec

#10 Post by tvrec » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 am

Small venues mean larger costs for someone like Prince.

SR

#11 Post by SR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Shit, video of Prince is sccarce. :mad:

Romeo

#12 Post by Romeo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 pm

there are like 0 Prince videos. He has them pulled off you tube :sad:

This is what I found on NPG:

2012 and current Line up
John Blackwell: drums
Ida Nielsen: bass, guitar, vox
Morris Hayes: keyboards
Cassandra O'Neal: keyboards, vox
Mike Scott: guitar
Andy Allo: guitar, vox
Shelby J.: Vox
Elisa Dease: Vox
Liv Warfield: Vox

Additional Band Members

Ledisi: vox
Andrew Gouche: bass
Hannah Ford: drums
Sylvester Onyejiaka: saxophone
BK Jackson: saxophone
Marcus Anderson: saxophone
Adrian Crutchfield: saxophone
Keith Anderson: saxophone
Lynn Grissett: trumpet
Steve Reid: trumpet
Phil Lassiter: trumpet
Nick Marchione: trumpet
Roy Agee: trombone
Joey Rayfield: trombone

http://www.princevault.com/index.php/Ba ... Generation

That's a whole lot of people, now we know why the tix are that price.... :yikes:

MYXYLPLYX

#13 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 pm

My understanding of these gigs is they are to showcase his latest protege's:

http://3rdeyegirl.com/

So, as I've read, they are his opener and backing band... :noclue:

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Romeo wrote:I dunno, when he did the MSG residency I paid $40 :noclue: Don't know why they are charging so much

And where the hell is Juanas with the SXSW report???? :waits: I heard he played 2 1/2 hours and had like 5 encores
He played 6 encores and it was just under 3 hours. He was basically leading the Prince version of a symphony thru out the night. I was only disappointed in the fact that he didn't play guitar at all during the show. A Tribe Called Quest opened the show for him as they reunited specifically for this. He changed outfits like 4 or 5 times. I was in the sound booth for most of the show and then moved to the side of the stage for Purple Rain and then back to the booth. Met a young Prince fan from a couple hours away that Prince actually sent a limo, and comped his hotel and everything for him. Pretty cool of him to do that. I met a couple of the members of his new band as well the drummer is cool, she's probably the most friendly member and I believe I met his guitar player but I had been drinking so that part is fuzzy.

Brass Intro
Possible new song but was all instrumental
Shhh
Musicology
Xtraloveable
Stratus
Purple Rain
Cool / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (MJ cover)
We're a Winner (Mayfield cover)
I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It Myself)
Housequake
The Bird
Jungle Love (people on the side of the stage asking him where Jerome was)
The Glamorous Life (Crowd shouted "where's Shiela??!")
Let's Work
U Got the Look
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) -- pretty much all the die hards lost it when he played this as its a rare one live
100 Mph
Act Of God - after when the chanting continued (Prince: "Man Austin, don't make me hurt you, you know how many hits I got? I hope you have your 5 hour energy)
What Have You Done for Me Lately
Partyman / It's Alright
Which Way Is Up? / Dancing Machine

There were about 800 people in the venue total. Even though he didn't touch a guitar, it was magic. Definitely one of the top shows I have ever seen.

Juana

#15 Post by Juana » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Romeo wrote:there are like 0 Prince videos. He has them pulled off you tube :sad:
Oh yeeee of little faith

http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-guitar-r ... hztv_.html

There are more just search for live videos, as the copyright laws in France are different than here he can't scour them all out.

Essence_Smith

#16 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:57 pm

You guys that can afford to pay that kinda money to see someone play god bless, but I think ya'll are insane...then again I'm bad with this kinda thing cause I'd rather be getting paid to play than paying that to see anybody play. That being said Prince is the man and some good friends of mine (Hypnotic Brass Ensemble) had the privlege of going on the road with him. When they talk about the jam sessions in Prince's tent all of their faces light up... :rockon:

http://vimeo.com/47668911

SR

#17 Post by SR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Funny, you usually defend fair market where music is concerned. And I don't. Prince gets a pass. Especially in a small venue. Christmas morning giddy.

SR

#18 Post by SR » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Have you seen him perform?

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:You guys that can afford to pay that kinda money to see someone play god bless, but I think ya'll are insane...then again I'm bad with this kinda thing cause I'd rather be getting paid to play than paying that to see anybody play. That being said Prince is the man and some good friends of mine (Hypnotic Brass Ensemble) had the privlege of going on the road with him. When they talk about the jam sessions in Prince's tent all of their faces light up... :rockon:

http://vimeo.com/47668911
I didn't pay to see that show, here is the load in:

I got hooked up by one of the people doing sound for the venue

Essence_Smith

#20 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm

SR wrote:Funny, you usually defend fair market where music is concerned. And I don't. Prince gets a pass. Especially in a small venue. Christmas morning giddy.
Don't get me wrong...as a musician I'm happy for him, truly...I just can't justify the expense for myself personally. If you guys can drop the dime to see him more power to you, but I couldn't do it. And again, I haven't played a gig in a year. Being onstage is my christmas morning giddy... :hehe:
SR wrote:Have you seen him perform?
No...but when Purple Rain was out, I wanted to be Prince...he's one of the reasons I picked up a guitar. I just don't get as excited as I used to. If I could go for free I'd be there in a hearbeat... :wink:

Essence_Smith

#21 Post by Essence_Smith » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Juana wrote:I got hooked up by one of the people doing sound for the venue
That's a helluva hook up... :nod:

Juana

#22 Post by Juana » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
Juana wrote:I got hooked up by one of the people doing sound for the venue
That's a helluva hook up... :nod:
Yeah part of the reason I love Austin.

Prince and Gary Clark Jr (who I see a lot too) are two of my bigger influences lately.

SR

#23 Post by SR » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:23 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:
No
I'd take you if you were in LA. After Musicology, I told my kiddo I'd take him to see Prince, and I told him to have the highest possible expectations, then exaggerate, then multiply, and he'll still not be disappointed.

Yeah, it's like that. :nod:

Romeo

#24 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

Essence_Smith wrote:
SR wrote:Funny, you usually defend fair market where music is concerned. And I don't. Prince gets a pass. Especially in a small venue. Christmas morning giddy.
Don't get me wrong...as a musician I'm happy for him, truly...I just can't justify the expense for myself personally. If you guys can drop the dime to see him more power to you, but I couldn't do it. And again, I haven't played a gig in a year. Being onstage is my christmas morning giddy... :hehe:
No...but when Purple Rain was out, I wanted to be Prince...he's one of the reasons I picked up a guitar. I just don't get as excited as I used to. If I could go for free I'd be there in a hearbeat... :wink:
:essence: I paid a hot $20 to see him at MSG. Ok upper seats but still.....

That was closing night.

I went opening night and paid $65 for mid arena seats.

Romeo

#25 Post by Romeo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am

Juana wrote:
Romeo wrote:I dunno, when he did the MSG residency I paid $40 :noclue: Don't know why they are charging so much

He played 6 encores and it was just under 3 hours. He was basically leading the Prince version of a symphony thru out the night. I was only disappointed in the fact that he didn't play guitar at all during the show. A Tribe Called Quest opened the show for him as they reunited specifically for this. He changed outfits like 4 or 5 times. I was in the sound booth for most of the show and then moved to the side of the stage for Purple Rain and then back to the booth. Met a young Prince fan from a couple hours away that Prince actually sent a limo, and comped his hotel and everything for him. Pretty cool of him to do that. I met a couple of the members of his new band as well the drummer is cool, she's probably the most friendly member and I believe I met his guitar player but I had been drinking so that part is fuzzy.

Brass Intro
Possible new song but was all instrumental
Shhh
Musicology
Xtraloveable
Stratus
Purple Rain
Cool / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (MJ cover)
We're a Winner (Mayfield cover)
I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It Myself)
Housequake
The Bird
Jungle Love (people on the side of the stage asking him where Jerome was)
The Glamorous Life (Crowd shouted "where's Shiela??!")
Let's Work
U Got the Look
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) -- pretty much all the die hards lost it when he played this as its a rare one live
100 Mph
Act Of God - after when the chanting continued (Prince: "Man Austin, don't make me hurt you, you know how many hits I got? I hope you have your 5 hour energy)
What Have You Done for Me Lately
Partyman / It's Alright
Which Way Is Up? / Dancing Machine

There were about 800 people in the venue total. Even though he didn't touch a guitar, it was magic. Definitely one of the top shows I have ever seen.
:banana:

Yea I read he never picked up a guitar :hs: