Prince

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Juana

Re: Prince

#26 Post by Juana » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm

He played some keyboard and he was like a conductor/singer/circus ringleader... it was very weird but awesome and if he brings these shows to LA like he did here in ATX no one will be disappointed guitar or not.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#27 Post by Hokahey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I saw Prince around '97 or so in a massive stadium and it was not a remarkable experience. We had bad seats though.

Romeo

#28 Post by Romeo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am

I dunno, I was in the UPPER portion of MSG for his last show & maaaaaaan that guy could fill an arena like nobodies business! I mean with electricity not just people.
No one was sitting, everyone was dancing and all he had to do was play a snippet of a song.

One funny note was, you know how he pulls celebrities up on stage to dance. He pulled Wanda Sykes and she was grooving, he pulled Kim Kardashian up and she just stood there acting all coy like the asshole that she is (honey you live your pathetic life on TV and millions of people saw your leaked sex tape) and he very flamboyantly dismissed her off his stage. it was great.

Matz

#29 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 am

that was a great moment 'get off my stage!' :lol:

SR

#30 Post by SR » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 am

In my show, his band was in an instrumental loop and he took out a RS and feigned reading it, took on a look of surprise/disbelief, went to a purple courch, laid down, continued to read in a state of extreme agitation, and after what was an awkward amount of time got up and went to the mic. In fury, he began to bang the rag with disdain at a Madonna pic (I had 7th row) and screamed NOT OK.....then he furiously began to bang the mic and screamed...."THIS HAS TO BE ON!!!!!!".

:rockon:

:nod:

Matz

#31 Post by Matz » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 am

yeah, he's a really funny guy, if this music thing doesn't continue to work out for him he'd make a great comedian

Romeo

#32 Post by Romeo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

well the acting is horrible. As much as WE LOVED Purple Rain (lord I must have gone to see it 4 times when it came out)

His acting is terrible :lol:

trevor ayer

#33 Post by trevor ayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:20 pm

prince is my second obsession after janes and prince has been at least as disappointing as janes except instead of 2 crappy janes records he put out 20 crappy prince records .. the new tour is his all girl group 3rd eye girl .. 3 chicks and they are not great at all .. no john blackwell not michael bland .. they are doing all rock songs .. yes they will play purple rain and lots of obscure tracks from his bad records and not the huge list of songs from sxsw .. that is more of stadium tour list .. find 3rd eye girl on twitter and you can hear some of the bad new music he has been doing .. or check his performance on jimmy kimmel and you will get the idea .. i always thought 3 days was kind of a lot like the song purple rain .. and it is funny that prince named carmen electra .. not her real name .. dave has that made up name tatooed .. or maybe he covered it .. still funny and a tribute to how bad ass prince once was .. there are some dakota V and VI boots circulating if u really wanna know what u are getting on this tour .. prince and perry have taken similar nose dives .. which sucks .. cuz they both used to be the absolute best there was .. at least janes does not fill half their set with crappy cover tunes like prince does these days .. and prince can still sing when he wants to .. his bands usually suck these days tho ..

guysmiley

#34 Post by guysmiley » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 am

As much as I love the guy as a player. He comes off as a dick at times. He tossed the Roots guitarist's vintage guitar up in the air and broke it's headstock. Didn't sign it either.

http://www.spinner.com/2013/03/07/prince-roots-guitar/

Juana

#35 Post by Juana » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure he will be getting it fixed however, I think the dude from the Roots was more upset that he wouldn't sign the guitar.

Pandemonium

#36 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 pm

ant

#37 Post by ant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm

guysmiley wrote:As much as I love the guy as a player. He comes off as a dick at times. He tossed the Roots guitarist's vintage guitar up in the air and broke it's headstock. Didn't sign it either.

http://www.spinner.com/2013/03/07/prince-roots-guitar/
This is super lame. Normally when he throws his guitar one of his crew is there to catch it. Seen him do that before. Tossing someone else's gear is not cool. Glad to hear he's getting it repaired but with Prince's $$$ he should be buying Douglas two vintage replacements.

ant

#38 Post by ant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
..and this song sucks.

We always hear how Prince has a vault full of songs but it seems to me he's either hanging on to all the good tracks or everything not yet released is filler.

Essence_Smith

#39 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 am

ant wrote:We always hear how Prince has a vault full of songs but it seems to me he's either hanging on to all the good tracks or everything not yet released is filler.
Classic Kevin Smith story about his experience filming Prince for some sorta documentary...I don't care how talented you are, down to earth is still cool and I think he can BE down to earth but a lot of times isn't...

SR

#40 Post by SR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:14 pm

trevor ayer wrote:prince is my second obsession after janes and prince has been at least as disappointing as janes except instead of 2 crappy janes records he put out 20 crappy prince records .. the new tour is his all girl group 3rd eye girl .. 3 chicks and they are not great at all .. no john blackwell not michael bland .. they are doing all rock songs .. yes they will play purple rain and lots of obscure tracks from his bad records and not the huge list of songs from sxsw .. that is more of stadium tour list .. find 3rd eye girl on twitter and you can hear some of the bad new music he has been doing .. or check his performance on jimmy kimmel and you will get the idea .. i always thought 3 days was kind of a lot like the song purple rain .. and it is funny that prince named carmen electra .. not her real name .. dave has that made up name tatooed .. or maybe he covered it .. still funny and a tribute to how bad ass prince once was .. there are some dakota V and VI boots circulating if u really wanna know what u are getting on this tour .. prince and perry have taken similar nose dives .. which sucks .. cuz they both used to be the absolute best there was .. at least janes does not fill half their set with crappy cover tunes like prince does these days .. and prince can still sing when he wants to .. his bands usually suck these days tho ..
:lol:

Essence_Smith

#41 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Good example of Prince when he's down to earth...I mean as close to down to earth as he can get anyways... :wink: :hehe:

ant

#42 Post by ant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:
ant wrote:We always hear how Prince has a vault full of songs but it seems to me he's either hanging on to all the good tracks or everything not yet released is filler.
Classic Kevin Smith story about his experience filming Prince for some sorta documentary...I don't care how talented you are, down to earth is still cool and I think he can BE down to earth but a lot of times isn't...

this is pretty great. that Tavis Smiley interview is cool and he def comes off as more of a regular dude there. he was that way when he was on the George Lopez show too. I'll always be a fan but man I wish he would release something even close his late 80's output.

Essence_Smith

#43 Post by Essence_Smith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:40 pm

The last Prince band I was really excited about was the New Power Generation and Diamonds and Pearls was the last Prince album I loved beginning to end...that was like 22 years ago... :hehe:

SR

#44 Post by SR » Thu May 09, 2013 9:35 am

Juana wrote:
Romeo wrote:I dunno, when he did the MSG residency I paid $40 :noclue: Don't know why they are charging so much

But I agree with Artemis....WORTH. EVERY. PENNY

And where the hell is Juanas with the SXSW report???? :waits: I heard he played 2 1/2 hours and had like 5 encores
He played 6 encores and it was just under 3 hours. He was basically leading the Prince version of a symphony thru out the night. I was only disappointed in the fact that he didn't play guitar at all during the show. A Tribe Called Quest opened the show for him as they reunited specifically for this. He changed outfits like 4 or 5 times. I was in the sound booth for most of the show and then moved to the side of the stage for Purple Rain and then back to the booth. Met a young Prince fan from a couple hours away that Prince actually sent a limo, and comped his hotel and everything for him. Pretty cool of him to do that. I met a couple of the members of his new band as well the drummer is cool, she's probably the most friendly member and I believe I met his guitar player but I had been drinking so that part is fuzzy.

Brass Intro
Possible new song but was all instrumental
Shhh
Musicology
Xtraloveable
Stratus
Purple Rain
Cool / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (MJ cover)
We're a Winner (Mayfield cover)
I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door, I'll Get It Myself)
Housequake
The Bird
Jungle Love (people on the side of the stage asking him where Jerome was)
The Glamorous Life (Crowd shouted "where's Shiela??!")
Let's Work
U Got the Look
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) -- pretty much all the die hards lost it when he played this as its a rare one live
100 Mph
Act Of God - after when the chanting continued (Prince: "Man Austin, don't make me hurt you, you know how many hits I got? I hope you have your 5 hour energy)
What Have You Done for Me Lately
Partyman / It's Alright
Which Way Is Up? / Dancing Machine

There were about 800 people in the venue total. Even though he didn't touch a guitar, it was magic. Definitely one of the top shows I have ever seen.
Wow, he has scaled back enormously. No opener, played a weak 55 minute set before the encore (15 minutes), and the band he's promoting sucks. I was really dissapointed. All RAWK and he slowed and changed the arrangements to the only classics he played which were Let's Go Crazy and Nothing Compares To You. Bass, Drums, and LOTS of guitar.....vox.

Juana

#45 Post by Juana » Thu May 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Odd normally he plays at least a couple hours. As for the band, they had been his backing band for a few shows so not really sure what is going on there. Either way the SXSW set was magic.