Coachella 2013 webcast

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
perkana

Coachella 2013 webcast

#1 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/coachella
Times in PDT
Friday
3:30 PM Jake Bugg
3:30 PM Stars
3:30 PM Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
4:20 PM Johnny Marr
4:30 PM Beardyman
4:35 PM Divine Fits
5:20 PM Alt-J
5:20 PM Metric
5:20 PM Polica
6:10 PM Lee Scratch Perry
6:10 PM Passion Pit
6:25 PM Palma Violets
7:00 PM Japandroids
7:00 PM Local Natives
7:25 PM Jello Biafra
7:50 PM Sparks
7:50 PM Of Monsters And Men
8:40 PM Beach House
9:30 PM Yeah Yeah Yeahs
9:45 PM Purity Ring
10:10 PM Grinderman
10:35 PM Infected Mushroom
11:15 PM Jurassic 5
11:25 PM Foals
11:40 PM The Stone Roses (Highlights)
12:10 AM Tegan and Sara
12:10 AM How To Destroy Angels
12:15 AM Earl Sweatshirt

Saturday
3:30 PM MONA
3:30 PM Baauer
3:35 PM Dropkick Murphys
4:15 PM Shouting Matches
4:25 PM Ben Howard
4:45 PM The Selecter
5:10 PM Bat For Lashes
5:15 PM Café Tacvba
6:05 PM Puscifer
6:10 PM Allen Stone
6:35 PM Violent Femmes
6:55 PM Portugal. The Man
7:00 PM Major Lazer
7:45 PM Grizzly Bear
8:00 PM Yeasayer
8:20 PM Benny Benassi
8:35 PM Hot Chip
9:00 PM Spiritualized
9:30 PM The Postal Service
9:55 PM Moby
10:00 PM Descendents
10:30 PM The xx
10:45 PM Janelle Monae
10:55 PM Two Door Cinema Club
11:35 PM Phoenix
11:35 PM Knife Party
11:45 PM New Order

Sunday
3:30 PM Smith Westerns
3:30 PM The Gaslight Anthem
3:30 PM DIIV
4:20 PM Cloud Nothings
4:30 PM Jessie Ware
4:30 PM The Airborne Toxic Event
5:15 PM The Lumineers
5:30 PM Tanlines
6:05 PM Social Distortion
6:10 PM James Blake
6:20 PM Paul Oakenfold
7:00 PM Tame Impala
7:40 PM Father John Misty
7:40 PM Simian Mobile Disco
8:00 PM Vampire Weekend
8:30 PM Franz Ferdinand
8:50 PM Pretty Lights (Highlights)
8:50 PM OMD
9:20 PM Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
9:20 PM Wu-Tang Clan
9:45 PM The Faint
10:10 PM Dinosaur Jr.
10:20 PM Red Hot Chili Peppers
10:40 PM Eric Prydz
11:00 PM Dead Can Dance

farrellgirl99

Re: Coachella 2013 webcast

#2 Post by farrellgirl99 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 pm

purity ring sounds great. i missed yyy's set and im avoiding seeing hdta until i see them in person.

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:and im avoiding seeing hdta until i see them in person.
i saw a little bit. did they play behind that stupid curtain all night?

farrellgirl99

#4 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 am

creep wrote:
i dont see them in person til april 29, but i read that they do until the last song.

creep
Site Admin

#5 Post by creep » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 am

farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:
i dont see them in person til april 29, but i read that they do until the last song.
i would be pissed. people love trent so much i'm sure the guy will get a pass from everyone. imagine if jane's addiction did this. perry would get destroyed for it.

farrellgirl99

#6 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:36 am

creep wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:
i would be pissed. people love trent so much i'm sure the guy will get a pass from everyone. imagine if jane's addiction did this. perry would get destroyed for it.

its supposed to be amazing visual experience so i wont judge til i see it. when i've seen him with nin, he has utilized screens before but never for more than a few songs (if im remembering correctly).

it reminds me of tool. theyre not behind screens but maynard is always in the back without a spotlight on him and the first time i saw them, i was frustrated with it. but theyre so good i dont care now

but yeah i can see how part of it is like, we paid to see the band and i cant even see what theyre doing. i feel like its a formula that wouldnt work as well for straight up rock bands as opposed to electronic based ones

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am

Performing behind a screen or other barrier can be a neat effect in very short doses but even when NIN did it for several songs during the beginning of their '05(?) it grew really old really fast (This photo would actually make a typical abstract image for any NIN album).

Even when U2 did it for one song (playing "Zooropa") when their screen extended down all the way to the stage obscuring them, it felt like watching a prerecorded song playing over the PA.

perkana

#8 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 pm

I enjoyed the YYY's and Grinderman...just saw a bit of The Stone Roses. A bit pissed off because they were just highlights :mad:
About HTDA...I really didn't like their music but if I had seen them live, I guess I would have a different opinion :noclue:

crater

#9 Post by crater » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 pm

I saw NIN 3 times in 1994 and the first was at the Warfield (the show where he smacked Chris Vrenna in the face with the mic stand) and I don't remember if he had any sort of screen for that show. I know for 100% fact they started using it later on that year though. First time seeing it was cool, but the second show at the Henry J. Kaiser, while still cool to see, I knew what to expect so the gimmick lost its luster.

crater

#10 Post by crater » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 pm

creep wrote: imagine if jane's addiction did this. perry would get destroyed for it.
Jane's did start off behind a screen in '02 at the Warfield. I don't remember if they did the same thing at the Rain though.

Pandemonium

#11 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Janes kinda played behind the screen for opening song Three Days at the Irvine NINJA show when it didn't come up right away.

creep
Site Admin

#12 Post by creep » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 pm

you guys do understand that this is much different than playing your whole set minus one song like this right?

Pandemonium

#13 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm

creep wrote:you guys do understand that this is much different than playing your whole set minus one song like this right?
Never interrupt a threadcrap in progress.

perkana

#14 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 pm

I think I'm going to stay up to watch New Order. I thought it was a great show when I saw them live.

sinep

#15 Post by sinep » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:12 am

most exciting thing to happen at coachella so far:

kv

#16 Post by kv » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm

farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:
farrellgirl99 wrote:
creep wrote:

its supposed to be amazing visual experience so i wont judge til i see it. when i've seen him with nin, he has utilized screens before but never for more than a few songs (if im remembering correctly).

it reminds me of tool. theyre not behind screens but maynard is always in the back without a spotlight on him and the first time i saw them, i was frustrated with it. but theyre so good i dont care now

but yeah i can see how part of it is like, we paid to see the band and i cant even see what theyre doing. i feel like its a formula that wouldnt work as well for straight up rock bands as opposed to electronic based ones
saw gorillaz play behind a sheet once...was the most boring show energy wise i ever went to

jptm

#17 Post by jptm » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:22 pm

here's the whole story on the screen up front... it's art.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/ ... eid-141995
Trent Reznor’s How to Destroy Angels Plays Light Like an Instrument

By Nathan Hurst
7:51 PM

Rob Sheridan, the art director for Trent Reznor’s side project How To Destroy Angels, is up on stage, but he has no instrument. More accurately, he is playing an instrument, but it doesn’t play music — it plays light.

How to Destroy Angels, a band that includes Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, his wife Mariqueen Maandig, Atticus Ross and Sheridan, is the midst of a 12-show tour around the U.S. that includes a Coachella date tonight around midnight. Throughout the show, Sheridan uses a Livid MIDI controller and an iPad Mini running Lemur to tweak, trigger, and control a huge projector and a sixteen-foot wall of LEDs that create a shimmering, three-dimensional cube of light effects.

Set up in front of the stage is a 16-foot tall curtain of 14-inch surgical tubing, which offers a semi-transparent surface for the projector. The effect is a masking, shading substrate for an abstract lighting effect. Panning the video down can cause a cascading rain, or a trickle effect. As the music intensifies, digital dots make a frantic red snowstorm.

Originally the show was supposed to have four projectors, one from each side, and another curtain of tubing in the back. But while that might have worked at Coachella, most of the other venues would have lost the effect.

“We were realizing, this is going to suck at all the shows except Coachella,” says Sheridan. “It’s not even remotely the same thing. That’s when Trent says, ‘well, don’t kill me for asking, but how much would it cost to get an LED screen in here?’ Miraculously it happened. We were able to afford it, and get it in, and it saved the show, basically. It made a tremendous, tremendous difference in how everything looked.”

The result is an abstract texture, wherein images from the projector and the LED screen interact, creating a three-dimensional feel, with the band almost floating in between.

“A lot of what this thing ended up being had a lot to do with what the band is and how we envisioned kind of being presented live,” says Sheridan. “It was very much about structure and architecture and how to make something that didn’t feel at all like a rock show, felt more like an art installation.”

He worked with production designer Roy Bennett and lighting and projection mapping company Moment Factory to design a show for Coachella. But by the time Sheridan had visited Moment Factory’s Montreal studio to prototype the stage design, they had so much invested in the project that they decided to build a tour around it.

“It was really about creating depth of textures and creating a certain volume in the stage,” says Sakchin Bessette, Moment Factory’s co-founder. “It’s really based on a lot of layering, this show. Basically the front projector and the LED screen in the back kind of work together, with the band in the middle.”

It’s a gamble, hiding the band behind a screen, even a translucent one. The tubing is strung in four rows, and depending on how Sheridan’s got it lit, you can see the band’s silhouettes, faces, or nothing at all.

But the tubing is in sections: at Coachella, five units hang from a track above, and Sheridan can move them, rotate them, and slide them out of the way.

“It’s this whole idea of kind of like structuring the show so that it stays mysterious at the beginning,” says Bessette. “The first song, it’s just silhouettes of the band that we see … but as it opens up, it becomes more human and personal.”

Risk it may be, but on the reveal, the crowd screams. The payoff is there.

“The reaction we’ve gotten has been really really good,” says Sheridan. “There’s that moment when you’ve been working for months and months on end, when you wonder, is this good?”

Sheridan compares the project to some of what you see at electronic dance shows, like Amon Tobin, who has featured projection mapping effects in his shows.

“But we also have a distinct advantage over that type of stuff,” says Sheridan. “We have actual musicians on stage playing real instruments, and a lead singer who carries a lot of emotion and personality and voice.”

During the single, “How Long,” a discreet Kinect captures lead singer Maandig, translating her image through the projectors as a bright white silhouette, with a vortex of moving red lights spinning out of it like red blood cells.

Dressed all in white, with a Kinect-generated halo, she looks a bit like an angel.

creep
Site Admin

#18 Post by creep » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 pm

art or not it's still stupid :jasper:

JOEinPHX

#19 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:58 pm

I just saw Sigur Ros about a week ago, and they played the first 3 songs behind a screen, and I would have been fine if they did the whole show like that.

How many bands can project images 360 degrees around them as they play? Most just show up, plug in, play, and leave. I am somewhat bored by THAT format, not by someone trying to do something interesting visually as well as musically.

Because when it really comes down to it, you're paying to HEAR live music. If the band wants to give you an extra visual on top of it OTHER than just a dude jumping around in black, why would you complain about that? You really need to see Trent again? Are your grainy cell phone pictures that important to you?

Go to the show and listen to the music and take in what they present to you. It's art, not just a damn rock show. Normal rock shows are a dime a dozen.

creep
Site Admin

#20 Post by creep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 am

nothing too exciting this year. i guess the big act is outcast getting back together??

Pandemonium

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm

creep wrote:nothing too exciting this year. i guess the big act is outcast getting back together??

That and The Replacements, but I bet they'll do a couple SoCal warm-up shows in local clubs before Coachella which would be the infinitely better way to see them. Overall, one of the least exciting Coachella bills ever. I was wondering why Arcade Fire didn't have a SoCal date announced yet for their tour, now I know why. I do think they're going to be played out by the end of this year though.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:22 am

Least exciting in what ways?

I mean the headliners are lame, but otherwise that is a pretty solid lineup if you're into current indie bands. I'd go... if tickets weren't 400 fucking dollars.