New Pearl Jam album "Tides" due October 8th

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
JOEinPHX

Re: New Pearl Jam album "Tides" due October 8th

#76 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:01 pm

hokahey wrote:Did 6767 just call Vitalogy a straight forward rock album? :confused:
Bugs and Heyfoxymophandlemama (and Betterman) aside, it's pretty much consistent in it's style. It's a rock album.

As opposed to albums like No Code where you go from punk to tribal to eastern to classic rock to everything else in between.

Mescal

#77 Post by Mescal » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:The album isn't called "Tides", nor is it called "Echoes". It's called "Lightning Bolt". Dumb name.
and tides or echoes wouldn't have been?
Well, I figured it wasn't going to be called "Echoes"...as Pink Floyd already has an album with that name. But I liked "Tides"; it's in keeping with Eddie Vedder's references to surfing and the ocean.
No they don't.

The album is called Meddle.

Echoes is their best song ever though

Matov

#78 Post by Matov » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Shit all this talk got me listening to some binaural.
Better than i tend to remember it.

JOEinPHX

#79 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I love that album. Except Evacuation. Something about that song gets on my nerves.

Matov

#80 Post by Matov » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

maybe it's the Police/Sting vibe it has?
that definetely gets on my nerves, as i fucking hate fucking sting.

creep
Site Admin

#81 Post by creep » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

this is sort of out of character for pearl jam.
Pearl Jam have knocked it out of the park. The rockers just signed a deal with Fox Sports that will place 48 of their songs throughout the channel's World Series programming this month.

The baseball championship's coverage and promotions run from October 23rd to 31st, and the band's music will serve the dominant soundtrack. All 12 songs from their upcoming album Lightning Bolt (out October 15th) will be used, according to Billboard. Other songs will include "Even Flow," "Animal," "Daughter," "Corduroy" and more. Pearl Jam will also be featured as November's Artist of the Month on Fox Sports properties – which should be a special thrill for frontman Eddie Vedder, a lifelong Cubs fan.

"[Pearl Jam] said, 'What songs would you want?' I said, 'How many can I have?'" Fox Sports Music VP Janine Kerr told the Hollywood Reporter. "So we gave them a wish list and they said 'yes' to all."

As for Pearl Jam's well-documented reluctance to participate in licensing agreements, band manager Kelly Curtis said the World Series was an easy choice. "For the past many years, we consider licensing requests using the same criteria we do for everything else: Do we like it? Would the fans like it? Does it provide a different forum for fans to hear the music? Is it something we can get behind?" Curtis said. "The band loves baseball, so this one was a no-brainer."

Pearl Jam's World Series deal is unprecedented in its volume; it licenses the largest amount of songs from any participating artist in recent years. Last year's MLB Playoffs and World Series featured Jack White tunes during the National League Championship coverage and 30 tracks from the Who for the World Series soundtrack.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#82 Post by Hokahey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:05 pm

creep wrote:this is sort of out of character for pearl jam.
Pearl Jam have knocked it out of the park. The rockers just signed a deal with Fox Sports that will place 48 of their songs throughout the channel's World Series programming this month.

The baseball championship's coverage and promotions run from October 23rd to 31st, and the band's music will serve the dominant soundtrack. All 12 songs from their upcoming album Lightning Bolt (out October 15th) will be used, according to Billboard. Other songs will include "Even Flow," "Animal," "Daughter," "Corduroy" and more. Pearl Jam will also be featured as November's Artist of the Month on Fox Sports properties – which should be a special thrill for frontman Eddie Vedder, a lifelong Cubs fan.

"[Pearl Jam] said, 'What songs would you want?' I said, 'How many can I have?'" Fox Sports Music VP Janine Kerr told the Hollywood Reporter. "So we gave them a wish list and they said 'yes' to all."

As for Pearl Jam's well-documented reluctance to participate in licensing agreements, band manager Kelly Curtis said the World Series was an easy choice. "For the past many years, we consider licensing requests using the same criteria we do for everything else: Do we like it? Would the fans like it? Does it provide a different forum for fans to hear the music? Is it something we can get behind?" Curtis said. "The band loves baseball, so this one was a no-brainer."

Pearl Jam's World Series deal is unprecedented in its volume; it licenses the largest amount of songs from any participating artist in recent years. Last year's MLB Playoffs and World Series featured Jack White tunes during the National League Championship coverage and 30 tracks from the Who for the World Series soundtrack.
A bit. But Eddie has always been a big Cubs fan and even sung take me out to the ballgame at a game. It's certainly not old PJ style, but they clearly just make their music and are happy to make money without being too obnoxious about it these days. It's hard to begrudge bands making money in reasonably classy ways in today's music environment. When I stopped buying most of what I listen to I stopped judging as harshly how the artist makes money,

Matov

#83 Post by Matov » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:19 pm

this i dig

JOEinPHX

#84 Post by JOEinPHX » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:49 pm

creep wrote:this is sort of out of character for pearl jam.

I don't think it's out of character at all. Ed has been to quite a few Cubs games over the years. Sung take me out to the ball game. Threw out the first pitch.

Mike has performed the national anthem at mariners games.

They are baseball fans. So why not
Give baseball permission to play their songs since baseball gave them so much?

If you ask me, this is the correct way to "sell out". They have partnered with a product they enjoy, rather than just slapping a bud lite logo on a guitar for a magazine ad.

kv

#85 Post by kv » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:06 pm

better then cooper tires

Tyler Durden

#86 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 am

Mescal wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
kv wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:The album isn't called "Tides", nor is it called "Echoes". It's called "Lightning Bolt". Dumb name.
and tides or echoes wouldn't have been?
Well, I figured it wasn't going to be called "Echoes"...as Pink Floyd already has an album with that name. But I liked "Tides"; it's in keeping with Eddie Vedder's references to surfing and the ocean.
No they don't.

The album is called Meddle.

Echoes is their best song ever though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoes:_Th ... Pink_Floyd

Matov

#87 Post by Matov » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 am

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... ps/n42124/

Chris Cornell playing Footsteps on Fallon Last Night :love:

*edit: if anyone knows how to use the embed code on the site, i sure could use the help

Hokahey
Site Admin

#88 Post by Hokahey » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:03 am

Matov wrote:http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... ps/n42124/

Chris Cornell playing Footsteps on Fallon Last Night :love:

*edit: if anyone knows how to use the embed code on the site, i sure could use the help

Chris Cornell must sleep in a tanning bed. He's hard to look at. I remember his ex wife mentioning his tanning habits during their messy divorce.

Not a bad version though. Nice choice of song. Always been a favorite.

Tyler Durden

#89 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

The guy from Fleet Foxes covers "Corduroy". Awful.

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/2013/10/co ... knold.html

Matov

#90 Post by Matov » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Awful.
:nod:

guysmiley

#91 Post by guysmiley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 pm

My internet server has blocked me and the rental stores don't have it yet. I've bought every album so far, maybe I'll get this one. Any one got a flac? :lol:

Pandemonium

#92 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Matz

#93 Post by Matz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:05 pm

not bad, but that 14 year old girl or whatever she was kills him

Eddie never played it that well live either imo. It always baffles me how he could be so bitchin technically in the studio (Eruption, Spanish Fly etc) and then live he was way sloppier.....maybe it's a sit down vs stand up kind of thing

Pandemonium

#94 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 am

Matz wrote:not bad, but that 14 year old girl or whatever she was kills him

Eddie never played it that well live either imo. It always baffles me how he could be so bitchin technically in the studio (Eruption, Spanish Fly etc) and then live he was way sloppier.....maybe it's a sit down vs stand up kind of thing
Eddie would always wing his "Eruption" solo even from day one but basically ad-libbing around the recognizable core of the solo. Listen to any bootleg of his solo from late '77 through the mid 80's, the skill is all there in spades. By around 1982, he was throwing all sorts of off the cuff whiddly-diddly stuff in and dragging his solo bit out to over 15 minutes. It really wasn't until 2004 when he was screwed up from cancer treatments, other physical ailments, drugs and years of alcohol abuse that his technical abilities really started to take a hit. There's some terrible playing to be heard on shows from the 2004 and parts of the 2007 - 2008 tours because he was so wrecked.

JOEinPHX

#95 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Matz wrote:not bad, but that 14 year old girl or whatever she was kills him
That 14 year old girl probably practiced nothing but that song for 6 months.

Mike probably ran through it 2 and a half times in the back an hour before showtime, after spending the previous 2 weeks learning 100 of Pearl Jam's songs.

Game. Set. Match: OLD GUY.

:lol:

Matz

#96 Post by Matz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 pm

I know, if she was asked to write a song or just a decent riff and she'd be fucked

SR

#97 Post by SR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I think John 5's work on this tune is spot on.

http://aintnoright.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... the+bucket

Matz

#98 Post by Matz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:04 pm

I've become a really big John 5 fan over the past six months. He's the reason I've begun dabbling in country, flamenco and other new styles. The guy's a fantastic player. he's dedication is pretty inspiring as well

JOEinPHX

#99 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 pm

John 5's solo albums are pretty incredible.

It sucks that he ended up ruining Rob Zombie's career at the same time.

Matz

#100 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:13 am

really, could you elaborate on that? I thought Zombie was the lucky guy having John and not vice versa.