HBO: Madonna of the Mills (documentary)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
ellis

HBO: Madonna of the Mills (documentary)

#1 Post by ellis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 pm

On tonight at 8pm.
HBO will air a documentary this Wednesday, August 24 that follows the lives of four former puppy mill dogs and a woman who fights to rescue and rehabilitate hundreds of dogs like them.

Madonna of the Mills features Laura Amato, a woman who travels in Pennsylvania, cultivating relationships with people in the community in order to accomplish her mission.

The film features interviews with Amato, veterinarians and animal activists, such as Kathleen Summers, manager of the Humane Society of the Unite State’s Puppy Mill campaign.

“At puppy mills, dogs basically spend their entire lives in small wire cages,” Summers said. “They never get out for exercise. They don’t have treats or toys. They don’t have, often, clean food or water, and they’re basically there to do nothing but make babies.”

Amato has saved over 2,000 dogs who would have otherwise been discarded or killed because they were deemed no longer suitable for breeding.

According to the ASPCA, dogs purchased from puppy mills are more likely to have numerous medical conditions, including heart disease, kidney and respiratory problems. The dogs that are later transferred to pet stores often show signs of illnesses like kennel cough, pneumonia, parasites. These diseases are the result of a combination of horrible conditions for the dogs that can include unsanitary cages, cramped spaces, lack of exercise and excessive breeding.

ant

Re: HBO: Madonna of the Mills (documentary)

#2 Post by ant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Damn I wish I still had HBO. Seeing animals being abused gets me every time. I don't understand it and it angers to me to no end. Whenever someone I know is talking about buying a dog I always do my best to steer them to a rescue organization. There's nothing better than giving a mutt a second chance at a good life.