nin

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
farrellgirl99

Re: nin

#121 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:37 pm

SR wrote:So, I recently established an Instagram account (great for following various drummers I've found!), and the NIN page posted a photo of TR with a fan...."Paula" in a wheelchair backstage. FG, might you know who this is? I presume it is a message board person who is well know....but that makes me take pause as bands like nails have boards that have millions on them. Just curious.....

Here's a great interview I came across with TR....still an incredibly insightful man...

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-re ... nails.html
No clue on Paula. This is the only message board I go to, so not in the know.

I also enjoyed the interview with Trent. He is a grumpy old man, but an insightful one.

NIN's Panorama fest set will be livestreamed tonight on yahoo, fyi. I am going to check it out since I opted to not go to the festival

farrellgirl99

#122 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Watched the livestream and thought they were excellent.

Seemed way more energized than the hesitation marks tour. would love for them to go on a proper tour after the summer/when the new ep is released.

SR

#123 Post by SR » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 am

I saw that it was streamed...haven't watched it....the review for the FYF show I read was excellent. I've seen them 3 times...first lolla which was revolutionary, then the Bowl in 07or 08 (I think) where I witnessed Jerome Dillon get fired, and of course NINJA where Rubin was just a kid on the drums. I've read he's evolved into an exciting and integral part of the live equation. Amazing drummer....Geek alert: Plays Q Drums a fairly small/boutique drum co that makes works of art that are also musical instruments.

farrellgirl99

#124 Post by farrellgirl99 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:57 am

SR wrote:I saw that it was streamed...haven't watched it....the review for the FYF show I read was excellent. I've seen them 3 times...first lolla which was revolutionary, then the Bowl in 07or 08 (I think) where I witnessed Jerome Dillon get fired, and of course NINJA where Rubin was just a kid on the drums. I've read he's evolved into an exciting and integral part of the live equation. Amazing drummer....Geek alert: Plays Q Drums a fairly small/boutique drum co that makes works of art that are also musical instruments.
If they have it available after the fact, id recommend watching it. rubin is excellent on the drums - during march of the pigs, he comes out from behind the set to play the keyboards and then goes back to killing it on the set. really cool to watch.

this morning i got an email saying nin is playing a small club in nyc tonight for $75. it was sold out by the time i got to ticketmaster (5 mins :lol: )
dammit trent! woulda been cool

Artemis

#125 Post by Artemis » Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 pm

I've never seen this before..so funny.

Muppets Tonight show 1997

sinep

#126 Post by sinep » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Nine Inch Snails!!!!!!!!

How’s FarrellGirl???? Is she all grown up now???? Does she come by and say Hi???!

intertwoven

#127 Post by intertwoven » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 am

This any good?
Nine Inch Nails have surprise-released a new album. Ghosts V-VI arrived suddenly this morning, available as a free download from their website. It comprises Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts VI: Locusts. “Hours and hours of music,” Trent Reznor tweeted. “Free. Some of it kind of happy, some not so much.”
https://pitchfork.com/news/nine-inch-na ... vi-listen/

Matz

#128 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am

cool and fucked up at the same time, cause it hangs on "Confirmation of payment", so I can't download it. Anyone knows a way around this please let me know :nyrexall:

Pandemonium

#129 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Matz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 am
cool and fucked up at the same time, cause it hangs on "Confirmation of payment", so I can't download it. Anyone knows a way around this please let me know :nyrexall:
Site and more probably, their pay portal is likely getting hammered. Give it some time, try late at night or really early in the AM.

Matz

#130 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:25 pm

right, probably the explanation, thanks

Matz

#131 Post by Matz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 pm

I knew it: Pretty tame.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp58R7B ... tYpkJ7mI7d[/youtube]

Tyler Durden

#132 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:01 pm

So I just learned tonight that NIN debuted “Everything” live back in June of this year. I don’t care what anyone says, this song was always great, despite subverting expectations and triggering a lot of disdain among fans. Nine years after its studio debut, it’s still a banger…

Hokahey
Site Admin

#133 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:01 pm
So I just learned tonight that NIN debuted “Everything” live back in June of this year. I don’t care what anyone says, this song was always great, despite subverting expectations and triggering a lot of disdain among fans. Nine years after its studio debut, it’s still a banger…

This sounds like fucking Barenaked Ladies or something. I don't understand modern NIN. NIN music to me is abrasive, synth infused with crunchy drum machines and Trent trying to sing a bit like Prince fronting an industrial band. I'll never understand why he changed his singing style and made NIN in to more of a rock band.

Tyler Durden

#134 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:28 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:31 pm
I don't understand modern NIN. NIN music to me is abrasive, synth infused with crunchy drum machines and Trent trying to sing a bit like Prince fronting an industrial band. I'll never understand why he changed his singing style and made NIN in to more of a rock band.
Unless you’re going to cite specific examples, I really don’t get what you’re saying. I don’t hear a dramatic change over the decades; just tweaks here and there.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#135 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:33 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:28 pm
Hokahey wrote:
I don't understand modern NIN. NIN music to me is abrasive, synth infused with crunchy drum machines and Trent trying to sing a bit like Prince fronting an industrial band. I'll never understand why he changed his singing style and made NIN in to more of a rock band.
Unless you’re going to cite specific examples, I really don’t get what you’re saying. I don’t hear a dramatic change over the decades; just tweaks here and there.
Listen to the song you posted? Then go listen to anything from the first 4 albums.

Tyler Durden

#136 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:25 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:33 pm

Listen to the song you posted? Then go listen to anything from the first 4 albums.
That’s literally one song from many albums you could chosen from; and it’s not even representative of the rest of the album it’s on. Sounds like you didn’t listen much past 1999.

Also, this track sounds more like NIN playing a 90s New Order track or something.

I’d love to hear your take on Zwan; for real.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#137 Post by Hokahey » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:15 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:25 pm
Hokahey wrote:

That’s literally one song from many albums you could chosen from; and it’s not even representative of the rest of the album it’s on. Sounds like you didn’t listen much past 1999.

Also, this track sounds more like NIN playing a 90s New Order track or something.

I listened until Year Zero, and then a few songs from each album since. Trent absolutely changed how he sings after The Fragile. Much more of a rock style, more direct. And it sounds awful. The Hand that Feeds is a prime example of when his vocal style changed and the sound became more traditional rock. Sunspots is the only okay-ish song on that album, and even then it's primarily just the chorus.

Tyler Durden

#138 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:44 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:15 pm
Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:25 pm
Hokahey wrote:

I listened until Year Zero, and then a few songs from each album since. Trent absolutely changed how he sings after The Fragile. Much more of a rock style, more direct. And it sounds awful. The Hand that Feeds is a prime example of when his vocal style changed and the sound became more traditional rock. Sunspots is the only okay-ish song on that album, and even then it's primarily just the chorus.
Year Zero is a very good record…but it falls into RHCP and Soundgarden territory; if Trent had shaved off 3-4 songs, it would’ve been a tighter superior album at 12 tracks, instead of the 16 we got.

I feel like Trent has always written different types of songs (traditional rock songs, soundscapes, etc). The “cake” of his songs always had pop-rock sensibilities with an industrial icing. As for “Everything”, it’s a million times better than “Starfuckers Inc”. That thing is hot garbage and it basically stopped me from listening to them for about 6 years, having been a fan from 1990.

phenobarb_bambalam

#139 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:33 am

Hokahey wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:01 pm

This sounds like fucking Barenaked Ladies or something. I don't understand modern NIN. NIN music to me is abrasive, synth infused with crunchy drum machines and Trent trying to sing a bit like Prince fronting an industrial band. I'll never understand why he changed his singing style and made NIN in to more of a rock band.
Interesting. 'Everything' is one of the most pointless things he's done, for me. It starts like a second rate New Order trying to work out what they were going to do as they moved on from Joy Division, but it's just twee after the intro. To each their own, but it's interesting to see it receiving love.

I have no issues with TR's singing and how that's evolved over time - the issue for me me is the growing role and influence for the chinless wonder that is Atticus Ross. The more involved he's become in the writing, the more pedestrian they've become. I don't give a fuck about the soundtracks, but his input into nin's studio output only seems to water down what was good. They've just become derivative of themselves and so much of the material from the 'recent' EPs just sounds like a nil-cover band to me. Thankfully, the shows are still fucking spectacular. And the 'alumni' finale in Cleveland just over a month ago was one of the highlights of the almost their live shows ever.

Tyler Durden

#140 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:45 pm

phenobarb_bambalam wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:33 am

I have no issues with TR's singing and how that's evolved over time - the issue for me me is the growing role and influence for the chinless wonder that is Atticus Ross. The more involved he's become in the writing, the more pedestrian they've become. I don't give a fuck about the soundtracks, but his input into nin's studio output only seems to water down what was good. They've just become derivative of themselves and so much of the material from the 'recent' EPs just sounds like a nil-cover band to me.
THIS right here perfectly sums up my issue with recent NIN. Atticus Ross’ involvement seems pretty unremarkable.

phenobarb_bambalam

#141 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:08 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:45 pm
THIS right here perfectly sums up my issue with recent NIN. Atticus Ross’ involvement seems pretty unremarkable.
At best, and Reznor seems to think he walks on water. I just dot get it. He detracts in the studio and on stage he has even less stage presence than Chaney. I suppose out-dulling Chaney is pretty remarkable.