U2

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.

Re: U2

Postby blackcoffee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm

AM waiting for Panda's review of the new album.
blackcoffee

Postby Larry B. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 am

Preview: It's absolute shit.
Larry B.

Postby Pandemonium » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Larry B. wrote:Preview: It's absolute shit.

I wouldn't go that far, at least to my ears it's better then the last album "Songs Of Innocence" which I consider to be the worst album they've ever put out. The first time I listened to it, for the first few songs I was thinking "this might be a really solid album" but that opinion started giving way to "this song sucks, this song sucks, this song sucks" as I waded through the last half of the album. The opening track "Love Is All We Have Left" should be the closing song on the upcoming tour and "You're The Best Thing About Me" is a solid single. Past that, there's not much to recommend... I guess Summer Of Love and Red Flag Day are ok in a kind of simple Beatle-esque light pop tune thing but especially the songs that try to rawk like The Blackout and the obnoxious American Soul make it appear U2 have completely run out of ideas.

Speaking of American Soul, someone explain to me how you can take a promising song like this...

...and fuck it up and make it this:

Pandemonium

Postby Larry B. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 am

Yeah, the only track I can swallow is "You're The Best Thing About Me", which has been in rotation in my house. The rest is so forgettable, it's almost painful. And similarly to their previous album, there's just too much Bono in it. There's barely any space for the music, Bono is always there pushing his poorly crafted rhymes.

Any predictions on when they'll call it a day, Panda? At what point the cow dries out?
Larry B.

Postby Pandemonium » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Larry B. wrote:Yeah, the only track I can swallow is "You're The Best Thing About Me", which has been in rotation in my house. The rest is so forgettable, it's almost painful. And similarly to their previous album, there's just too much Bono in it. There's barely any space for the music, Bono is always there pushing his poorly crafted rhymes.

Any predictions on when they'll call it a day, Panda? At what point the cow dries out?

Achtung Baby 30th Anniversary/Greatest Hits stadium cash-in tour in 2021 is my guess.

I'm going to the 2nd LA Forum show next May. It's kind of like I'm continuing to see them when they roll around partly because they're one of the bands I saw every tour since day one and don't want to break the streak nearly 40 years in and also I figure they don't have too many more tours left in the tank. And to be fair, even if the new music has mostly blown the last 3 albums, they still put on a solid show and the production they've used for arenas for the 2015 tour and presumably this one is admittedly pretty cool.
Pandemonium

Postby blackcoffee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks for the review, Panda. I have a love/hate relationship with this band. I remember the exact moment I heard U2 War. I might have been in 8th or 9th grade. Joshua Tree was the album my high school class ranked as #1, but it wasn't to my taste at the time. When Bono tried to convince us they were edgy and/or alternative in the early 90s I wasn't buying it, but I listen to songs from that period now. I did like All That You Can't Leave Behind. Seems I heard it around 9/11 and it stuck. And since then I'm always curious about what they'll do next.
blackcoffee

Previous

Return to Music And Art