The Shining Code 2.0

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

The Shining Code 2.0

#1 Post by Matz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 pm

I've become a pretty big fan of The Shining this past year and came across this documentary recently. If anyone else here likes this movie and wants to kill an hour and a half I'd like to know what you think of the theory presented in it.

I guess I should provide a little summary. What these people claim is that Kubrick was hired by Nasa to direct a fake moonlanding. 11 years later he decided to give this secret away by planting all these different things that points to it in the movie. E.g. there are many, many times in it where the number 11 appears in the form of the number of people in a room or dishes on a menu etc, same with the letter A. Which should refer to Apollo 11 according to these people. Also certain dialogue and many other objects and things point in that direction.

Not really sure what to make of it myself. Are they out of their minds or on to something? They do present a very good case here I'll give em that. Still, keeping a fake moonlanding a secret for 44 years seems impossible, somebody would squeel at some point, would be my guess...but maybe not, cause maybe they'd practically be killed if they said something about it

Larry B.

Re: The Shining Code 2.0

#2 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:03 pm

Up until recently, I was absolutely sold on the idea that the US faked those moon landings. I remember watching some videos on YouTube where they showed a moon walk in a lunar area called something like "Valley of the Shadows"; and then, in a different mission, they showed the exact same spot (i.e., the same studio/props) and it was now called something like "Happy Juncture" or whatever. This proved that they used studios for this sort of thing.

But during the last couple of years I've been reading some stuff and watching a few documentaries... and I don't know, I feel a bit silly having thought that before. Someone here (probably in the Movies thread) recommended a moon landing documentary recently. I saw it (can't remember the name) and it was a really great watch. If you can find it, I'd highly recommend it. I'll watch this Shining thingy nevertheless.

MYXYLPLYX

#3 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Oh fer fuck' sake...

:no:

So, my father who was aircraft commander on a C-5 Galaxy that returned a recovered Apollo capsule and NASA crew state side was a dupe according to this theory?

I'm gonna have to take him and the million or so eye witnesses over some whackjobs with a video camera and editing software and delusions of conspiracies, thank you very much.

:wave:

clickie

#4 Post by clickie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:47 pm

What did the texture of the moon feel like I wonder when they ran their fingers through it. Just a bunch of pebbles and rocks I guess.

Pandemonium

#5 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

It's no secret I have a almost life-long interest in manned spaceflight. I also have an objective attitude and have read up on many of the fake moon landing conspiracies. Almost all of them have huge holes in their theories, ignore basic scientific tenants or just fabricate bullshit to suit their agenda. We landed on the moon - 6 times (of 7 tries) in fact. That's something I have no doubt. Mars is actually within our technological reach right now, it's the human element (long trip in confined space, etc) and of course the cost that's the barrier.

When you understand where we were technology-wise and how we grew in that respect throughout the 60's, it really is one of mankind's (and unquestionably the United States) greatest achievements and I feel privileged to have been old enough to watch and understand it on tv the day it happened. Visiting the Kennedy space center in Florida where they have some hardware including a near-complete Saturn V rocket on display is an amazing experience.

Pandemonium

#6 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm

clickie wrote:What did the texture of the moon feel like I wonder when they ran their fingers through it. Just a bunch of pebbles and rocks I guess.
The entire surface is coated in 1/4th to about 2 inches deep of really, really fine sand, exactly like dry concrete that you can buy in 50lb bags. The one difference is that it's pulverized volcanic rock so it has a microscopic glassy, abrasive texture which on a few moon landings where the "Moon dust" was especially thick caused serious problems like clinging to suits and getting tracked back into the Lunar Module and getting into precision hardware like the astronauts glove and helmet linking mechanisms.

clickie

#7 Post by clickie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah I can see his space suit is filthy from lunar dust.

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Pandemonium wrote:It's no secret I have a almost life-long interest in manned spaceflight. I also have an objective attitude and have read up on many of the fake moon landing conspiracies. Almost all of them have huge holes in their theories,
the cars outside the Overlook Hotel, the number of them, spell out the date of the first moonlanding and Danny is wearing an Apollo sweater at some point, it's clear as day. What more proof do you need?! :banghead:

Ok, I'll shut up, I thought it'd be shot down and it was.....never said I believed it, ah ah..no!

MYXYLPLYX

#9 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, I think that knowing it happened can make you enjoy stuff like this video with a light perspective. Like "hahaha, that's a cool coincidence." Maybe Kubrick was just celebrating the NASA's achievements in his own maniac way, and not providing clues to let us know it didn't happen.

Matz

#11 Post by Matz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:48 pm

dont know, but I'm sure he was saying something , and something important to him as well

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:34 pm

It's the most over-analyzed film in existence. It's catnip for conspiracy nuts.

I've read a lot of the analysis, and there's some very fun stuff in there, but it's mostly nonsense.

There was a film made about these obsessive analyzers of The Shining, called Room 237 (the crazy lady room in the film, though it's a different number in the book).

Some people mistake the documentary as being supportive of the various theories, but having seen interviews with the creators, they basically laugh at the theorists, so the film is really more about these theorist than it is about the theories.

P.S. Just because...

This is interesting because the zig-zag floor pattern originated in Eraserhead. Kubrick loved Eraserhead, and at some point it was his favorite film. He screened Eraserhead for the cast of The Shining because he was looking to create a similar feeling of dread.

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Does that little guy appear in Twin Peaks? I vaguely remember a scene recorded backwards... one of the most brilliant pieces I've seen on TV. Delightfully eerie. No?

Mescal

#14 Post by Mescal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Yep, love Twin Peaks.

Sometimes my arms bend backwards ....

The scene where Bob comes behind the sofa towards Laura Palmers mother is the scariest scene ever made. Kicks the shit out of any horror movie.

I was looking for the scene on youtube, but can't seem to find it.

Eraserhead is also a pretty fucked up move. I always thought DL must have been on a lot of drugs while making that movie. Or maybe he fell in a tub of acid when he was young.

Seriously, the first half of Twin Peaks (until they unmask Leland Palmer) is the best piece of television ever made. It's what, 20 years old now?, and not dated at all

Mescal

#15 Post by Mescal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm

or this:

Damn, makes me want to watch the series all over again

Larry B.

#16 Post by Larry B. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Right, I've just started watching "The Shining Code 2.0" and the analysis begins with one of the most stupid load of bollocks I've seen in my life.

"In the opening scene, the reflection of the sky and the mountains in the lake forms a letter A. What does it mean? It means... A monumental event (symbolized by the mountains) appeared to take place in the heavens above (the sky), but in reality, it took place right here on the Earth (sky reflected in lake), and the name of this monumental event begins with the letter "A"".

I mean... I love me some good creepy conspiracy thingies, but this is shite. I'll skim through it anyway.

ellis

#17 Post by ellis » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 pm

All I'll say is that my father-in-law was the head of Robotics at NASA for decades. He's one of the few pioneers of the original space program still living. He is quite proud of all that he has done for science and humankind. He talks about the moon landing all the time.

There's no way in hell he's lying about any of that.

Matz

#18 Post by Matz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Larry B. wrote:Right, I've just started watching "The Shining Code 2.0" and the analysis begins with one of the most stupid load of bollocks I've seen in my life.

"In the opening scene, the reflection of the sky and the mountains in the lake forms a letter A. What does it mean? It means... A monumental event (symbolized by the mountains) appeared to take place in the heavens above (the sky), but in reality, it took place right here on the Earth (sky reflected in lake), and the name of this monumental event begins with the letter "A"".

I mean... I love me some good creepy conspiracy thingies, but this is shite. I'll skim through it anyway.
the theory is not the problem, you are. I think this is the exact sort of thing Kubrick would do IF he were trying to communicate that he directed a fake moonlanding. It's a clever and visually amazing way to do it...but he wasn't, cause keeping the whole thing a secret is impossible, it's easier to hold your breath for a month....or maybe he was saying it just to fuck with NASA and US government, don't know if that would have been his thing or not :noclue: