True Detective

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Hype

Re: True Detective

#261 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:17 am

turgid
That's the perfect word for the second season. It's not that I couldn't follow it if I wanted to, it's that the pacing is all fucked up and I find myself not wanting to invest in it. It's like it's convoluted and cryptic for the sake of being so, rather than because it's trying to convey something meaningful. I might still try again from the beginning, but I don't know if I'll make it.

kv

#262 Post by kv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 pm

That's how I felt about season 1

Hype

#263 Post by Hype » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:35 pm

I think there were redeeming qualities to that first season... Probably mostly the performances, and the fact that it was a new thing and there was nothing else like it out... but doing it again with less impressive characters is killing it for me... Like uh... Jane's Addiction? :confused:

Pure Method

#264 Post by Pure Method » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Yeah I still like it.

perkana

#265 Post by perkana » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:37 am

Also, it's nice to see Rachel McAdams breaking out of her annoying sugary rom-com characters for a change.

Jasper

#266 Post by Jasper » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:41 am

That was a bit more interesting than most (or perhaps all) of the previous s2 episodes, particularly the orgy sequence. Very interesting music during that part as well. Probably the best piece of directing this season.

Artemis

#267 Post by Artemis » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 am

Jasper wrote:That was a bit more interesting than most (or perhaps all) of the previous s2 episodes, particularly the orgy sequence. Very interesting music during that part as well. Probably the best piece of directing this season.
I agree. I thought last night's episode was the best of the season.
One of my fave parts last night was the opening scene with Frank and Ray at the kitchen table.

In a little review I read in the WSJ,it mentioned that yesterday would have been Stanley Kubrick's 87th birthday.

" It was like we were plunged into show creator Nic Pizzolatto’s vision of Hell, and it played a lot like a drugged-out blend of the climax of “The Shining” and the creepy masque at the heart of “Eyes Wide Shut.” A perfectly creepy, “True Detective”-style celebration of Stanley Kubrick’s 87th birthday."

Last night's episode was quite intense especially Ray's own private party and the sex party with Ani's flashbacks.

blackcoffee

#268 Post by blackcoffee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 am

I was thinking of the Kubric references also last night. While I did really enjoy the episode I thought there were two things that seemed if not silly than a nod to network television police procedurals of the past: the way they conveyed Ani being under the influence of ecstasy seemed rather textbook--like that's how we will always see someone on television respond to being drugged. And then the way Ray's car fishtails out onto the road--very Chips or Starsky and Hutch.

creep
Site Admin

#269 Post by creep » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:22 pm

ray is somehow involved with all of this.

this was one of my least favorite episodes. it seems to be the opposite for many others. :noclue:

Artemis

#270 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:47 pm

I was surprised about what happened to Paul last night, didn't see that coming at all. I might have to watch the episode again because I'm not really clear about why he was set up by his former lover. Overall, pretty good episode, a lot happened and also some pointless stuff too. Other then finding out more about Tasha, the Vera story line doesn't go anywhere. She was a hooker who didn't want to be saved, but I guess it has more to do with Ani saving herself and coming to terms with her past. :noclue:

Bezzerides: Maybe—and this is just a thought—maybe you were put on earth for more than fucking.

Vera: Everything is fucking.

Artemis

#271 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:36 pm

This article explains what's going on pretty well

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... src=huffpo

blackcoffee

#272 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 am

I am really enjoying this season. I think the critical lens with which people are judging it is largely unreasonable. Consider how implausible so much of House of Cards is, but it seems to get a pass.

Sunday's episode was great. The connection between the two orphans from the Jewelry robbery and Caspere's secretary is an interesting twist. It's also something my wife thought was a bit of a stretch.

Jasper

#273 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I thought the last one (ep. 7) was relatively decent. There was some tension, the plotting was fairly coherent, and there was some good cinematography — like Ray and Ani in the motel with the fake fireplace. On the other hand, there were times when it felt like a middling network series, mostly involving Frank. Then there was that silly part where Paul became Jason Bourne.

It will be interesting to see how the finale puts the rest of the season in perspective.
blackcoffee wrote:I am really enjoying this season. I think the critical lens with which people are judging it is largely unreasonable. Consider how implausible so much of House of Cards is, but it seems to get a pass.\
Really? Not from me. I think that show is very, very silly. Besides, I'd say that whatever people think of House of Cards is irrelevant. I think True Detective is being judged on the merits of its first season, and by that metric it's been found wanting.

creep
Site Admin

#274 Post by creep » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:35 pm

the finale was ok....not great. it was pretty easy to guess who was going to live and who would die. if everyone was looking for ray why would he be driving around in his car? it makes no sense. you also knew that paternity test was coming.

overall a fun series. i wonder what the body count is in the end. i think at least 50 people were killed.

Jasper

#275 Post by Jasper » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:03 pm

It was a good ending. Being long was helpful. I haven't been reading anything about it, so I didn't know it was an extra half hour. I really wish we could go back and give the first season finale an extra half hour.
creep wrote:the finale was ok....not great. it was pretty easy to guess who was going to live and who would die.
Ray seemed like he was going to die from the very first episode. In the finale, there came a point where you knew he was going to die with 100% certainty, and that was when he decided to visit his son. Before that, it was only about 99.9% certainty. :lol: Frank was doomed from the point of that dialogue about the white dress and the white suit with the red rose.

In the final analysis, I think Vince Vaughan did a really good job, but Nic Pizzolatto did a (mostly) bad job writing Frank's lines. I mean, fuckin' a, nobody could have sold some of those lines, and poor Vince Vaughan got 95% of the clunkers. I could've fixed that portion of the script for him, not that I would've known what to do with the convoluted mess that was the plot of the entire season.

In any case, even with the old movie tropes, the final episode did sort of help to give some shape to the season as a whole. If there's a third season I certainly hope there's more clarity to the script. I don't mind unanswered questions and so on, I just want to be able to keep better track of things so I can feel more tuned-in to the story.

Maybe somebody found Ray's recorder and sent that voice message to his son. :sad:

Jasper

#276 Post by Jasper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Well, creep, looks like we're the only ones who made it to the end. :noclue:

blackula

#277 Post by blackula » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Jasper wrote:Well, creep, looks like we're the only ones who made it to the end. :noclue:
I just watched the finale and thought it was great. Rolling Stone wrote a review of season 2 and outlined all that went wrong. It was one long pretentious article. Season 2 was never going to live up to season 1. These 8 episodes told an entertaining story and were better than 95% of what's on TV now.

creep
Site Admin

#278 Post by creep » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 pm

after a day to sit on the finale i do think it was a good ending. the story was pretty goofy but you actually felt something for those characters.

blackcoffee

#279 Post by blackcoffee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:23 am

I watched it, and really enjoyed it. I liked the season overall. It's hard to compare to Season 1 because they've got completely different issues. My big issue with Season 1 is that as a viewer I'm led to believe in any number of possibilities: occult killing, conspiracy involving powerful men, etc. None of that panned out, and I thought it was largely disappointing for that reason. Too many threads that didn't resolve at all. Season 2, at least for me, was actually more coherent and I found the way it wrapped up completely plausible. I did think the ghosts from Frank's life visiting him as he trudged through the desert was overkill.

If I haven't said this before, read Nic's book:

very well done brooding piece of noir.

perkana

#280 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:38 pm

I know both seasons are totally different. Watched two episodes and the finale. Although I think all the actors were great, the story wasn't interesting. Ending was too predectible and very boring. As I read in a VF article, it sucked that they sidelined Rachel McAdams'character in the finale. She kicked ass in my opinion and was my favorite character.

Jasper

#281 Post by Jasper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 pm

perkana wrote:Watched two episodes and the finale.
:lol: What are you doin'? That's not the way you're meant to watch a show.

Next time you want to watch something tell me first. I will guide you through the process.

perkana

#282 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:23 pm

nah, thanks. I read summaries :lol:
Didn't have time to catch up.

kv

#283 Post by kv » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Perk is all about spoilers and out

perkana

#284 Post by perkana » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:04 am

I missed the first episode because I was not home, saw second one but didn't understand shit. Jasper was kind enough to share some links with me to catch up, I was busy writing a paper so I didn't have time. Read some summaries up until the finale. Watched finale, end of story :noclue:. Unlike you, who didn't even bother finish watching GoT :essence:

Jasper

#285 Post by Jasper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Yes, please.

Matthew McConaughey Back For More True Detective? Here's What The Actor Says

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1 ... y-back-for

For his first major television role in the freshman season of HBO's True Detective, Matthew McConaughey delivered a performance that was more effective than the entirety of some actors' careers. He chose not to return for the uneven second season, causing many to think he was done with the show for good. But even though news on a potential Season 3 has been largely on the negative side, McConaughey might have unwittingly jump-started conversations back up when asked by talk show host Rick Eisen if he would want to return to that world.

"Yeah, I would. I miss Rust Cohle, man. I miss watching him on Sunday nights. I miss watching True Detective on Sunday nights. I was a happy man while we made that for six months, because I was on my own island."

Someone pick up the phone and then hold the damned phone! That wasn't quite the answer I expected from Mathew McConaughey, a thesp not known for making sequels. I even would have gladly accepted an excessively vague response, like "Well, we'll just see how things play out, because you never know." But the man is saying that he does want to return to True Detective, and I'm pretty sure that equals out to him returning to True Detective after HBO and show creator Nic Pizzolatto get on the ball in ironing out a brainy plan.

But even though the question was only about a general return to the dark and gritty drama, McConaughey seems like he's got blinders on coming back for anything other than another round of Rust Cohle's smoke-hazed nihilism. Hard to fault him for that, though, since the character is responsible for some of the most amazingly confounding and circular dialogue put to script, inspiring no less than a bazillion parodies and Internet memes. I'd definitely be down for catching up with Rust during another particularly brutal and soul-sucking crime investigation, regardless of if any of the other Season 1 staples would return.

But perhaps he would be willing to take on something new if it suited him. Though HBO is presumably still willing to get Season 3 produced before the next millennium, the non-steady communication between the network and Pizzolatto implies a continuation is all but probable in that current model (though HBO hasn't always sounded too against moving on without him). But apparently Matthew McConaughey doesn't need HBO to be the middle man there, as he also said this on The Rich Eisen Show,

"I talked to Nic about it. It would have to be the right context, the right way. That thing - when I read it, I knew in 20 minutes if I can play this guy, Rustin Cohle, I'm in."

While the finale for Season 2 showed signs of the killer storytelling that made the Louisiana-set first season such a gripping and intense journey, the episode couldn't recoup for the downward spiral of criticism that plagued the whole year. Decent ratings always help, but if True Detective does get renewed for Season 3, it should be because the story is so flawless and impressive that Rust Cohle would be required to arrest someone for not producing it. I'm not holding my breath, but I might go back through my dog-eared copy of The King in Yellow to see if Robert W. Chambers left us any clues about Rust Cohle's future.