Twin Peaks

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Twin Peaks

#1 Post by Jasper » Thu May 15, 2014 9:52 am

Let this be a general Twin Peaks thread, but I'm starting it now for a specific reason.

The long-awaited Twin Peaks Blu-Ray box set (with the whole series, plus the film, Fire Walk With Me) will be coming out at the end of July, and it's been announced that it will feature a surprise 90 minutes of deleted and alternative scenes from the film (in addition to hours of other extras).

Fans have known about these scenes for a long time (the original rough cut of the film is said to be 4-5 hours), but it was thought that there were 40 to 45 minutes of scenes. It's been the holy grail of Twin Peaks obsessives for many years, but the cost of finishing the scenes was too prohibitive for companies to swallow. Lynch refused to release this material in anything less than the same quality as the feature film, so it's gone unseen...until now.
:banana:

Embedded in this article is a teaser video for the set, comprised entirely of unseen material (including plenty for Davie Bowie fans):

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/15/twin- ... y-box-set/

Larry B.

Re: Twin Peaks

#2 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 am

I saw the first series last year and I thought it was pretty good, for the most part. That scene in the red room was one of the most chilling and brilliant thing I've ever seen. I also loved the sexual tension between several characters, and the part of the detective is fantastic.

Having said that, I was baffled by how nonsensical the show became. I only saw episode 1 of series 2 and after being thoroughly disappointed, I read about the rest of the series and the movie. I felt laughed at.

I'd recommend series 1 to anyone.

Jasper

#3 Post by Jasper » Thu May 15, 2014 11:22 am

:hs: That's very, very strange, Larry. There's a definite, sudden dip in season two, but it's more than a third of the way through, and the finale of the show is one of the best pieces of film/television out there.

David Lynch directed very few episodes, which are generally considered the best, and the feature-length season two premier is one of them.

The central mystery is not solved until about a third of the way through season two, in what is arguably the best episode of all, so watching the first season alone makes no sense. I wouldn't bother doing that - I'd just watch none of it.

The movie itself is a different creature, being of a much darker tone and much more like a Lynch film (the opening scene is a television being smashed). People were upset that it was (mostly) a prequel and didn't feature the comedy from the series, but it's a very good movie and people mostly feel positive about it since they've gotten over their shock that it wasn't a two hour episode of the television show.

It kind of looks like David Lynch just isn't for you, Larry, but regardless, I don't be one of those people criticizing things they haven't even seen.

*edit*

Here...

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm

SPOILERS DOWN HERE

I just felt disappointed with the whole supernatural thing that came out from nowhere. When there's a mystery whose answer lies in a portal to another dimension or whatever, I don't really like it. Like Lost's "they were all dead" thingy.

SPOILERS DONE

I've only ever seen two movies by Lynch, and I adored them: The Elephant Man and Mulholland Drive. I don't know what more I can say about it, maybe one day I'll give series 2 another shot :noclue:

Matz

#5 Post by Matz » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I put season one disc one on a couple of months ago thinking I'd plow through it all once more but after five minutes I said fuck it and watched something else instead. I love the show but maybe I've seen it enough times already :noclue: time'll tell

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper » Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Larry, it was surreal from the pilot, and "supernatural" from at least episode three. Some people take the "supernatural" element as being symbolic, not literal. There's room for interpretation, but it was introduced early on. Still, to each his own.

Anyway, CBS Home Entertainment just announced that the deleted scenes will be presented "as a feature-length experience".
David Lynch and Mark Frost's groundbreaking cult phenomenon, TWIN PEAKS -- THE ENTIRE MYSTERY, arrives on Blu-ray July 29th with the debut of nearly 90 minutes of deleted/alternate scenes from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. The long-awaited missing pieces from the original version of the film is often referred to as the "holy grail" of Twin Peaks fandom, and can only be found as part of this collection.

Presented as a feature-length experience, "The Missing Pieces" has been directed and edited by Lynch exclusively for this release. Capping off more than 30 deleted/alternate scenes is an epilogue providing a fascinating glimpse beyond the cliffhanger finale of the TV series.

Please visit andthemissingpieces.tumblr.com for the latest details on TWIN PEAKS -- THE ENTIRE MYSTERY. Use #theentiremystery to join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter.

JOEinPHX

#7 Post by JOEinPHX » Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 pm

I thought this was going to be about the restaurant.

Mescal

#8 Post by Mescal » Thu May 15, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm with Larry on this one!

I loved season 1! Really loved it. The scene where Bob comes from behind the couch is the scariest thing I've ever seen. And the scene where Leland kills Madeleine, oh man ... Then all the different characters, all the crazy shit, the friendly giant, the owls are not what they seem .... great, great, great

But it kinda lost focus in season 2.

It's like season 1 was the Original idea then when it that was a success they had to write some sort of follow up.

But hey, if you like season 2, good for you.

Though I have to say I saw the complete series when I was, 15/16, and I rewatched season 1 a few years ago. I never bothered rewatching season 2. Maybe I should. But then again, I can't be bothered :)

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:I thought this was going to be about the restaurant.

For some reason I feel like masturbating after seeing this picture

kv

#10 Post by kv » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 pm

ah the 90's...i'd make a point of why are we having threads about 25 year old tv shows...buuuut this is a jane's site...soooooo carry on

Easton

#11 Post by Easton » Fri May 16, 2014 3:16 am

Mescal wrote:I'm with Larry on this one!

I loved season 1! Really loved it. The scene where Bob comes from behind the couch is the scariest thing I've ever seen. And the scene where Leland kills Madeleine, oh man ... Then all the different characters, all the crazy shit, the friendly giant, the owls are not what they seem .... great, great, great
You do know that all the scenes you mentioned were from the first half of season 2, right? :wink:

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 am

Easton wrote:

You do know that all the scenes you mentioned were from the first half of season 2, right? :wink:
:lol:

Could well be, because while I like the fact that he's with me on this one, I have no idea what he's talking about. :lol:

Jasper

#13 Post by Jasper » Fri May 16, 2014 11:45 am

Easton wrote:

Exactly. This is one of the reasons I posted that chart. People (including Mescal, apparently) have no idea what they're talking about. For some reason they remember the first season as going 1/3 of the way into the second season. I would laugh, but I'm irked by the major spoilers. :neutral: Now I'd kinda just like to just have the thread deleted. :noclue:
kv wrote:ah the 90's...i'd make a point of why are we having threads about 25 year old tv shows...buuuut this is a jane's site...soooooo carry on
It's because of the 10-disc Blu-Ray release. It will feature, among other unreleased things, an unseen feature-length film restored/edited/directed by David Lynch. This will be comprised entirely of long sought-after missing half of the film Fire Walk With Me which was 4-5 hours originally and had to be heavily edited, removing entire characters and story arcs. In fact the trailer below is entirely unseen material.

There will also be newly filmed stuff with the Palmer family and a metric shit ton of other things.

Bandit72

#14 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:44 pm

I've never watched Twin Peaks, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. I LOVED the Elephant Man. It's the only film I've shed a tear whilst watching. Eraserhead was cool too. Never seen Mulholland Drive.

I quite like those waitresses too. Particularly the one on the left.

Larry B.

#15 Post by Larry B. » Fri May 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Bandit72 wrote:It's the only film I've shed a tear whilst watching.
Wait, what? Are you The Terminator? Or on a related question, have you not seen Terminator 2?

Jasper

#16 Post by Jasper » Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 pm

Bandit72 wrote:I've never watched Twin Peaks, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. I LOVED the Elephant Man. It's the only film I've shed a tear whilst watching. Eraserhead was cool too. Never seen Mulholland Drive.

Watch Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.

Mulholland Drive actually originated as a spinoff idea of Twin Peaks (but it's not actually a spinoff in its final form). It's considered Lynch's best in most scholarly circles. You might not understand it the first time, but you'll probably still enjoy it. It does, for the most part, have a narrative that makes sense, but you have to put on your thinking cap. Blue Velvet is like a precursor to Twin Peaks, and it's both strange and accessible, and is also highly rated. You could watch the Twin Peaks series and film before or after any of those, but I guess I might say watch Blue Velvet, then Twin Peaks series, then Twin Peaks film, then Mulholland Drive. I think they best inform one another in that order.

If you want something else as accessible as The Elephant Man, watch The Straight Story. :tiphat:

Bandit72

#17 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:It's the only film I've shed a tear whilst watching.
Wait, what? Are you The Terminator? Or on a related question, have you not seen Terminator 2?
T2 is not an emotionally charged film?

Bandit72

#18 Post by Bandit72 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Jasper wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:I've never watched Twin Peaks, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. I LOVED the Elephant Man. It's the only film I've shed a tear whilst watching. Eraserhead was cool too. Never seen Mulholland Drive.

Watch Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.

Mulholland Drive actually originated as a spinoff idea of Twin Peaks (but it's not actually a spinoff in its final form). It's considered Lynch's best in most scholarly circles. You might not understand it the first time, but you'll probably still enjoy it. It does, for the most part, have a narrative that makes sense, but you have to put on your thinking cap. Blue Velvet is like a precursor to Twin Peaks, and it's both strange and accessible, and is also highly rated. You could watch the Twin Peaks series and film before or after any of those, but I guess I might say watch Blue Velvet, then Twin Peaks series, then Twin Peaks film, then Mulholland Drive. I think they best inform one another in that order.

If you want something else as accessible as The Elephant Man, watch The Straight Story. :tiphat:
I don't mind films I don't understand the first time round. As long as they are interesting. Christ I watched Momento about seven times before I figured out what the fuck was going on. Might have been the weed at the time mind.

I'll take you up on your film order. My wife loves Twin Peaks.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Fri May 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I haven't watched Twin Peaks either.

Mescal

#20 Post by Mescal » Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 am

Easton wrote:

Eeeuuuhhh, well ok, my bad I suppose.

I mean I liked the show up until Leland is uncovered.

I always thought that the episode with the scene with Leland in the jail cell was the last episode of season one.

Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper » Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 am

Mescal wrote:
Easton wrote:

Eeeuuuhhh, well ok, my bad I suppose.

I mean I liked the show up until ______ is uncovered.
That's roughly halfway through season two. I'll again point to the chart in the third post of the thread.

Also, please kindly refrain from posting spoilers out of consideration for the people who haven't seen it yet.

Mescal

#22 Post by Mescal » Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I'm just gonna refrain from posting in this thread

Jasper

#23 Post by Jasper » Mon May 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Mescal wrote:I'm just gonna refrain from posting in this thread
:pat:

wally

#24 Post by wally » Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Jasper wrote:
Also, please kindly refrain from posting spoilers out of consideration for the people who haven't seen it yet.
lol, its been about 25 years. i think it's ok.

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper » Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 pm

wally wrote:
Jasper wrote:
lol, its been about 25 years. i think it's ok.
Except that there are people right in this thread who said they haven't seen it yet. :idea:

Not everyone has seen considerably older things like Vertigo. I wouldn't endorse spoiling that either.