BBC 4 Kate Bush Documentary(Aired 22-08-14)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

BBC 4 Kate Bush Documentary(Aired 22-08-14)

#1 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Really good. Give it a watch..

I will be flying to London to see her exactly one month from today. My show is 24 Sept. :banana:

Artemis

Re: BBC 4 Kate Bush Documentary(Aired 22-08-14)

#2 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Also aired on 22-08-14

dannyboy

#3 Post by dannyboy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 am

Aye it were brill!

Wish I coulda got tickets!

perkana

#4 Post by perkana » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 am

Kate Bush wrote:We have purposefully chosen an intimate theatre setting rather than a large venue or stadium. It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows. I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iphones, ipads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together.
http://www.nme.com/news/kate-bush/79248 ... x73B1qc.99

Artemis

#5 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:55 pm

A dress rehearsal for family & friends is going on right now.

Stephen Kill
2 hrs · Edited ·
Very excited. Off to see a preview of Kate Bush's show
14 people like this.
Jo-Anne McDonald
Very cool. Love her. Is she your mystery diva?
2 hours ago
Stephen Kill
Ah - yes she is : ) Even though it's invitation-only, the queue is enormous. All having to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so that it's a big surprise for the folks who come on the first night

2 hours ago
Jo-Anne McDonald
Have a great time. I'm jealous. Lol.
2 hours ago
Heidi McQueen-Prentice
Sooo jealous!!!!! Have amazing time!
2 hours ago
Jamie Haig
Wow lucky you! Can't wait to see her next month.
1 hour ago
Samantha Edgar
Little bit jealous hunni xxx
1 hour ago
Joanna Louise Wright
Have a fab time. I am very jealous xx
Stephen Kill is a costume designer.

Artemis

#6 Post by Artemis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Uh oh. Looks like someone forgot about the non-disclosure agreement they signed:

Blue Eleven VR
‏@BlueElevenVR
Back from the Kate Bush dress rehearsal! Wuthering Heights with Steel Drum pan band #blownaway #BeforetheDawn #KateBush #Preview

Artemis

#7 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:04 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kate-Bush-Bef ... 20eb49e1eb

So, someone who was at the rehearsal last night has posted up a piece of confetti for sale. What a nerve.. :lol:

Kate Bush 'Before the Dawn' actual 'Ninth Wave' confetti from stage

This is a genuine piece of confetti from Kate Bush's 'Before The Dawn' show, rescued from the floor after the dress rehearsal on Sunday Aug 24. It is basically a piece of yellow tissue paper, about 5" x 3" and inscribed with the Ninth Wave poem that was on the back of the Hounds Of Love sleeve. This confetti was released from the ceiling during the show. I haven't got a photo of it yet, because I currently have no camera, but I might be able to change that.

THIS IS TOTALLY GENUINE.
Current bid: £1.24

Artemis

#8 Post by Artemis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:22 pm

:banana:

perkana

#9 Post by perkana » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 pm

I saw that video on a Kate Bush Spoilers facebook page. KB's voice still sounds amazing! The sound quality of that vid wasn't the best cuz that guy was trying to hide filming and taping, but pretty good. There's another one I saw with the end of Cloud Busting.
The last couple of days I have spent most of my time following all the stuff going on on the 5 different fan pages I have joined. It's a good thing I'm unemployed and have time to waste like this. :eyes: :lol: :crazy:

KB's band for the residency:
Omar Hakim – Drums
Mino Cinélu – Percussion
David Rhodes – Guitar
Friðrik Karlsson – Guitar
John Giblin – Bass
Jon Carin – Keyboards
Kevin McAlea – Keyboards
Jacqui Dubois – Backing vocals
Sandra Marvin – Backing vocals

Adrian Noble – Artistic/Theatre Director
Naná Vasconcelos – Musical Director
Basil Twist – Scenographer Chris Vaughan – Director (Workshop)
Derek Arnold – Puppeteer (Workshop)
SET LIST:
Setlist:
Lily
Hounds of Love
Joanni
Running Up That Hill
Top of the City
King of the Mountain

The Ninth Wave
And Dream of Sheep
Under Ice
Waking the Witch
Watching You Without Me
Jig of Life
Hello Earth
The Morning Fog

A Sky of Honey
Prelude
Prologue
An Architect’s Dream
The Painter’s Link
Sunset
Aerial Tal
Somewhere in Between
Nocturn
Aerial

Among Angels
Cloudbusting
Apparently there were lots of big names in the crowd- Dave Gilmour(of course),Brian Eno, Bjork, the guy from Frankie Goes to Hollywood(forget his name now),Madonna(that was a surprise) and many others.

A review from The GUardian- 5 stars

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/a ... llo-review

A review from one of the guys in one of my groups.

It was great guys!! The crowd was with her from the start and we must have almost lifted the roof on more the one occasion.
-The Set List-
Lily
Hounds of Love
Joanni
Running up that Hill
Top of the City
King of the Mountain
Ninth Wave
Break
Sky of Honey
Encore
Among Angles
Cloudbusting
KaTe may move a little slower then she did 35 years back but show span and played to the crowd and obviously new she was loved and among friends and totally enjoyed herself.
The show really started with a bang the lighting simple yet effective and the first run of song felt intermit and almost like being part of a band session. I noted straight away that Bertie was part of the 5 backup singers. Thought it was great to see him get involved. Little did I know how much that would be.
Oh, while I remember. Saw Del Palmer with a +1 going in too whilst ip was waiting in line.
All the way to the break KaTe wore black leggings, black caftan, tasseled shaw and bare feet (I'm a guy and suck at describing cloths so forgive me please)
Anyway, when the Ninth Wave started was when the show moved into full theatrical production. Full fore screen and back screen projects, many stage props, cleaver use of great sheets of cloth to give wave and water effects. Just wait till you see it!! It one point a full lighting rig drops from the roof and zooms around with spot light is if it's a search helicopter.
After the break A Sky Full Of Honey is much the same great use of projection and lighting. Kate's cloths have changed to beautiful gold embroidered and tassel trimmed caftan with shoulders that remind you if wings. How KaTe finished that set had us all on our feet and roaring, I'll leave it as a wonderful surprise for you all.
Finally came the encore to try and calm us down. Beautiful. Just KaTe on piano. The Cloudbusting with all the audience sing and KaTe loving it and encouraging us to keep it up.
What a perfect night.
Oh, and MANY people were wearing red shows to the concert. :lol:

Here is how the confetti looks like:

The Ninth Wave: Confetti featuring the poetic words of Lord Tennyson fell to the ground during her performance of the seven track concept piece

Artemis

#11 Post by Artemis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Good Review from NY Times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/ar ... 2&referrer
LONDON — Kate Bush, through the decades, has become known as a far-seeing artist, carrying out ambition at her own speed. Surely that perception has been encouraged by all the images in her songs of places where the view is unobstructed. Shores, mountains, skies.

Those images came through, in word and light and theater, during her concert here on Tuesday night at the Eventim Apollo; they gathered force until nearly the end, in the final bars of the lengthy song cycle “Sky of Honey.” Barefoot, dressed in a dark caftan, Ms. Bush slowly put on bird wings, and then suddenly spread her arms into a giant span, when she was yanked up by a pulley into sudden darkness.

The audience went adult-crazy at that moment of apotheosis, about which more later. But there were also songs about the opposite condition: being unable to communicate, being mortally trapped. It’s the natural flip side. One doesn’t make its case without the other.

Ms. Bush has been in show business for 40 years, and most of them without shows. She was 16 when EMI signed her, in 1974, and is 56 now. She never truly stopped making records, though there were some long gaps. But before Tuesday — the first of 22 performances of an extraordinary spectacle called “Before the Dawn” — a 1979 six-week European tour was her last time in front of paying audiences.

Perfectionists can develop fears of delivering incompletely, and fear has been cited, in various anecdotes, as one of the reasons for her absence. (Parenthood, too, which also involves long-distance vision.) The heavy-stock program printed for the show details an 18-month collaborative gestation with musicians, actors, light and set and production designers, the novelist David Mitchell, 3-D animators, an illusionist and puppeteers. In it she heavily credits her son, Bertie McIntosh, now 16 and a singer in the show, as well as its creative advisor. “Without his encouragement and enthusiasm,” she wrote, “particularly in the early stages when I was very frightened to commit to pushing the ‘go’ button, I’m sure I would have backed out.” Part of a concertgoer’s interest before the curtain rose on Tuesday was not in how we would react to the likes of her, but how she would react to the likes of us. Would she be spooked? Is it all too much?

Ms. Bush’s music starts with illustrations of motion: In her skyscraper voice, which has inevitably lost some top end, and her precise phrasing, which has grown more relaxed; in the sequential movement and radical key changes of some of her songs; and also in her body language, which in her old videos gave the impression of liberation and play. It also starts with a basic force of wonder and the desire to connect patterns in nature, so that the distance closes between people and animals and weather patterns. She forces herself into naïve places, not to know less, but to know more.

The concert, with a seven-piece band and five backup singers, traced a slow climb to the final quick ascension. She started with a set of stand-alone songs, some of them mid-'80s hits — “Hounds of Love” and “Running Up That Hill” — but also tracks from later records: “Lily,” “Joanni,” “Never Be Mine.” She stayed away from her earliest work, with the greatest vocal gymnastics, and at first moved warily.

Then she performed entire halves of records — the conceptual, interwoven-story parts. First was Side 2 of the album “Hounds of Love”: the seven songs collectively titled “The Ninth Wave,” with a central character trapped under ice, and possibly returning to her family as a ghost. It’s like a soundtrack to a disjointed film, and here the theater took over; for a stretch the vocalists sang against surround-sound backing tracks. There were actors with fish-skeleton heads, a rescue crew in life jackets. A film of an astronomer with a telescope calling the Coast Guard to report a sinking ship, with dialogue written by Mr. Mitchell. Another film of Ms. Bush singing face up in the cold water. An apparatus with flashing lights and sound — a rescue helicopter — descended from the ceiling. And in the second section of the story, Ms. Bush-as-ghost suddenly appeared in a living room set aslant, as if sinking into the floor, to visit her partner and son.

The subject of “Sky of Honey,” the second CD of her 2005 double-disc album, “Aerial,” is bird-flight and song and sun — beauty, basically — and onstage, a 19th-century painter figure, played by young Mr. McIntosh, pantomimed putting it all on canvas, while a young boy, in the form of a wooden artist’s model turned into a puppet, acted out his fascination with birds. (At points Ms. Bush sang, and laughed, to mimic birdsong.) The songs use repetition, much more than her earlier work, and slow, hypnotizing grooves; the drummer Omar Hakim found the center of them, and Ms. Bush finally began to move to them like a dancer.

“Before the Dawn” is light and film and movement and theater, but also a rock show, dense, cathartic and physical. The audience, still as stones during the music, stood to cheer whenever tiny between-song intervals allowed. After the full-band final encore, “Cloudbusting,” it would not leave until the tech crew arrived to dismantle the stage. “Thank you so much for such a wonderful, warm and positive response,” Ms. Bush said, with remarkable composure. She’s going to do this 21 more times?

erotic cheeses

#12 Post by erotic cheeses » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

And the missus gave away her ticket (reluctantly) just saw the documentary ... Love kate

Larry B.

#13 Post by Larry B. » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Artemis wrote: A review from The GUardian- 5 stars

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/a ... llo-review
Yeah, but does she have immersive theater stuff and an Asian freak on stage?

I don't know much about Kate Bush, but your excitement really tickles my curiosity. One of these days I may have to listen to her.

Artemis

#14 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Yeah, but does she have immersive theater stuff and an Asian freak on stage?
:lol: No Asian freak, but she has fish skeleton creatures. The show is very theatrical.

Artemis

#15 Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:27 pm

erotic cheeses wrote:And the missus gave away her ticket (reluctantly) just saw the documentary ... Love kate
I guess she had her reasons for giving it away, but what a shame. :sad:

I have to admit I was worried about how her voice would be and how she would be. Apparently, she is killing it!

A person from one of my KB fan groups feels these shows are one off affair to introduce her son, Bertie, as a performer to the world. He even sings a new song in the show.

Artemis

#16 Post by Artemis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:42 pm

In case anyone is interested here is a recording from the first night. The quality is okay, needs to be fixed up abit. Some parts the volume is better than others.

Start with Act 1 on the bottom.

https://soundcloud.com/bootlegger2014

Artemis

#17 Post by Artemis » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 pm

The guitarist David Rhodes just posted this on FB.
PG is Peter Gabriel.

Wow I hope I see someone famous on my night.
A slightly out of the ordinary evening.
Nodded a hello to Sir Elton before going on stage, had a beer with PG and his wife after. Shook hands with Stella McCartney, but didn't speak to either Kylie or Kate Moss.
Went to the pub for a quiet beer to decompress.
It was another great audience. Kate was fab.
We're a third of the way through already. It'll be over all too soon.

Artemis

#18 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm

One more week until my show! :banana:

I wonder which famous musician will turn up on my night.

Someone posted this:
How good was.tonights show. I was on row n kate was inches away from me. Paul mccartney sat four seats down from us. They will have amazing footage tonight[/quote

Another person:
]I'll give you a hint who sat behind me tonight...
PAUL McCARTNEY!!!
Last night Annie Lennox was there, PJ Harvey a few nights ago.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:49 pm

4 more days! :aoa:
I don't think anybody elshttp://www.aintnoright.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2479e here cares..oh well. :lol:

So, last night in the audience there was Adele, Stephen Fry, Alison Goldfrapp, and Ricky Gervais.

Robert SMith is a big fan. Maybe he'll come on my night. He'll be done with Riot Fest by then.

Artemis

#20 Post by Artemis » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:56 pm

In one of the KB groups I belong to there is a woman that works for PRI (Public Radio International) and wants to do a radio segment on people who have travelled from other countries to see the shows. I think I'm going to participate. I'll let you guys know when it's on the radio so you can hear me. http://www.pri.org/

The PRI person is April Peavey.
Request for radio interviews for those traveling overseas to see Kate on Wed, Sept 24th! This will be for radio broadcast in the US and Canada.
I direct & produce a radio program called The World. I'm arriving from Boston on the 24th & will be at the Swan at 3! In addition to those traveling from outside the UK, I'd like to grab some tape from Martin Parker & from the manager or bartender from the The Swan .
I'm personally going to the concert on Fri, the 26th, and thought I'd turn this into a persona/work trip.
Please DM me or leave comment here and we'll seek each other out on the 24th.
The Swan is a pub by the Apollo where people meet before the shows.

nausearockpig

#21 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Artemis wrote:4 more days! :aoa:
I don't think anybody elshttp://www.aintnoright.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2479e here cares..oh well. :lol:

So, last night in the audience there was Adele, Stephen Fry, Alison Goldfrapp, and Ricky Gervais.

Robert SMith is a big fan. Maybe he'll come on my night. He'll be done with Riot Fest by then.
Give Robert a kiss for me please....

Artemis

#22 Post by Artemis » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:09 am

I'm not going to start another Kate Bush thread, so I will just post this here...

This has made my Friday superb! (And I'm drinking coffee in my Kate Bush mug today too.) As the DJ's say afterwards: "sweet Jesus!" - a cataclysmic live version of "King of the Mountain" from the upcoming 3CD/4LP live set, courtesy of BBC Radio.
The wind, it blows... there's a storm rising...

From BBC 6..

The sound quality is amazing! They isolated her vocals in a way that makes it really stand out.
I also like that she "faded" the ending versus an abrupt ending ,as with most live recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/lpr-extended-pla ... -radio-btd

This was one of my favourite songs she did at the concert I saw two years ago. I wasn't crazy about the song on the Aerial album, but when I heard it live, I loved it!

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:26 pm

I guess this thread is the official ANR Kate Bush thread..

I love that so many young people are discovering Kate Bush for the first time thanks to Stranger Things. I was a young teen myself when I first heard Kate. :cool:
Music producer Rick Beato shares with his 3 million Youtube followers exactly what it is about the song structure of Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) that delivers such an emotional wallop. And yes, that D against E♭ dissonance is <chef's kiss emoji>...

clickie

#24 Post by clickie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:00 am

It seems like a lot of old school fans are pissed off now all these younger people are getting into Kate Bush because of that show. I've heard people say I hope they don't play
such and such song so it becomes more popular.