Another Scott Weiland "supergroup"

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

Re: Another Scott Weiland "supergroup"

#51 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:33 pm

An emotional Matt Sorum talks about Scott...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20151206

Romeo

#52 Post by Romeo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 am

Sure he's crying. Mr. Fill in drummer is upset his last meal ticket is dead.

Best. Internet. Fight. Ever.

The line "release the kracken" was the best.

Tyler Durden

#53 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:51 am

Oh please...Weiland was hardly Matt Sorum's last meal ticket. While I think the guy is a total douche, there's plenty of demand for him as a professional drummer, be it as a sessions guy or touring member, etc.

That's like saying Eric and Martyn are done without Perry. It's simply not the case.

This is such an awkward, douchey encounter :lol: ...

Tyler Durden

#54 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:58 am

P.S. An interesting sidenote. Matt Sorum does not have one songwriting credit on the Use Your Illusion albums. :lol:

But apparently he gets a songwriting credit on all of Velvet Revolver's work. :noclue:

Romeo

#55 Post by Romeo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 am

Tyler Durden wrote:Oh please...Weiland was hardly Matt Sorum's last meal ticket. While I think the guy is a total douche, there's plenty of demand for him as a professional drummer, be it as a sessions guy or touring member, etc.

That's like saying Eric and Martyn are done without Perry. It's simply not the case.

This is such an awkward, douchey encounter :lol: ...

The Cult. Fill in
GnR. Fill in

VR was the only group he was the original member of

Tyler Durden

#56 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:04 am

Romeo wrote: The Cult. Fill in
GnR. Fill in

VR was the only group he was the original member of
Sure...but he was a "fill in" for arguably the biggest band in the world at that time. To suggest that without Scoot Weiland, this guy's career is over is silly. That's like saying Chris Chaney wouldn't have a career without Perry...the guy gets tons of work and wouldn't have any problem getting more without Jane's.

Tyler Durden

#57 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:05 am

drwintercreeper

#58 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am

:balls: ...says the gal who was speedballing with Scott back in the day.

Glad she got clean for the kids' sake but an open letter in Rolling Stone.... give me a fucking break.

drwintercreeper

#59 Post by drwintercreeper » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:38 am

ugh, then i read the comments for that piece. talk about whitewashing history, what a savior that woman was! glad she never ever ever had a needle in her arm ever :jasper: :flip: :no:

Tyler Durden

#60 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:26 pm

I really don't know anything about their history together...other than she was a model/groupie/drug user (I didn't follow this stuff because I was never really a Weiland fan...I liked a few singles, that's about it).

That being said, reading her letter to Rolling Stone made me feel icky.

guysmiley

#61 Post by guysmiley » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Yeah most of it was icky. Only thing I agreed on was people propping him up on stage fucked up for a meal ticket or what ever. Just to be jamming with Scott. I can't imagine being in a band with a guy that fuck up as I saw him in the last year. His band mates and people around him knew, and should have done more. People do drugs or escape for many reasons. Yeah, it doesn't make you a great artist, and often times in art, or fame, or a creative process drives a person to it. Try getting rejected a lot in life and then not having the most stable foundation. It's no mystery why artist and musicians often turn to an escape.
Last edited by guysmiley on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Romeo

#62 Post by Romeo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:36 pm

She was a 17 year old model and he was a struggling 23 year old musician and hired by her booking agent to drive her to modeling shoots. So since she knows him since 1990 I believe she has a little more insight about him than anybody.
And she's right, Scott died long ago. It was a sad progression to watch.

Matz

#63 Post by Matz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:52 pm

I wonder what exactly turned him into this incoherent opposite of what he used to be person? was he drugged up by psychiatrists, or did the heavy drug use finally catch up with him in a major way? well, it's impossible for us to answer of course, but it's just puzzling to me

Tyler Durden

#64 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Matz wrote:I wonder what exactly turned him into this incoherent opposite of what he used to be person? was he drugged up by psychiatrists, or did the heavy drug use finally catch up with him in a major way? well, it's impossible for us to answer of course, but it's just puzzling to me
I read up on some of his history. He suffered some major losses over the last 10 years or so. It doesn't look like he took his second divorce very well...he probably struggled with not having a healthy relationship with his kids. In the late 00s, he had a younger brother who died in '07. I'm sure that did a number on him.

Matz

#65 Post by Matz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:57 pm

probably explains a lot of it but I'm sure along the way he's mixed some chemicals he shouldn't have and fried his brain as well

SR

#66 Post by SR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:44 am

Wow I thought that letter was very powerful and honest and well articulated.

Romeo

#67 Post by Romeo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:59 am

So did I. But online the fanboys (girls) are ripping her a new asshole.
These are the same people she's talking about. The same people who continued to pay to watch horrible performances.

Mary was no Angel. She admits that. But of anyone she knew him the best. And of course she's pissed. She's pissed she lost the first love she ever had. She's pissed her kids lost a father. She's pissed he could never get his act together for any real stretch of time. She's actually the first person I thought about when I heard he died.

Pandemonium

#68 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:15 am

Corey Taylor bugs me.

Tyler Durden

#69 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:34 am

Yes, go home and fuck tonight to a song that's from the (hypothetical) perspective of a rapist. :scared:

Corey Taylor is a piece of shit. The guy talked shit about Scott Weiland publicly...and while getting paid. It was news to me as of a few days ago...but apparently Corey Taylor is some sort of Rollins wannabe with a spoken word type of thing going on and people actually pay to see it. Bad enough that people still Rollins to ramble for 3 hours at a time (I say this as someone who used to gullibly think Rollins actually had some valid to say and would lap it up). Anyway, there are YouTube videos of him saying some pretty harsh stuff about Weiland.

Anyway, Corey Taylor is a jerk-off on this front (I've never listened to his music...especially not the band with the Halloween masks). I'll admit though, his performance with Dave and Chaney (Royal Machines?) from the other night is pretty solid.

SR

#70 Post by SR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:35 pm

My only experience of Corey Taylor was at a drop in the bucket benefit show with Henry Rollins as host. HR gave him the most generous and heartfelt intro.....saying they were in a real bind as the other singer scheduled cancelled last minute. HR said he'd have travel and hotel arranged asap. Corey said not to worry, what club...what time. I'll be there and he was, with amazing vox from VH to Alice in chains

SR

#71 Post by SR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:39 pm

And I value Henry Rollins, still

SR

#72 Post by SR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Getting back to the letter, I think it really shows the disconnect between addicts, alcoholics, victims of mental illness and their families. Too much there to tackle, but the first time I read it I broke down....this coming from someone who had their feelings surgically removed years ago.

It is not a disease but a compulsive emotional and physical mandate to drink or use once stimulated. It's automatastic and very real. Combine mental illness and the results are devistating for all.

I liked her advocation for the innocents

Romeo

#73 Post by Romeo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Did anyone say "this is for you Scott"? Anything?

I mean fuck, he was a member of Camp Freddy for a bit...

SR

#74 Post by SR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:56 pm

I don't understand the q

Matz

#75 Post by Matz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:57 pm

the fact I guess that they just launch straight into the song without saying a few words about Scott, unless it was edited out which seems unlikely. Makes them seem pretty insencere to me in their tribute