Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
CaseyContrarian

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#26 Post by CaseyContrarian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:It will probably be Matt Sorum on drums (which is unfortunate but I'll still go).

If Slash was the sleaze of GNR, Steven Adler was the swagger...

Totally.

And people keep acting like he can't perform, which is bullshit. This is the only thing the guy can do professionally, and the only songs he can do it with. All those years playing covers of his old band's music at whatever shit venue would book him kept him in shape on the kit. The speedball stroke seemed to have only affected his speech and not his manual dexterity or meter.

If you don't believe me, check out the songs he played at RRHOF induction. He makes Duff and Slash sound like they're actually in a band called Guns N' Roses. He's not the best drummer, but he wrote distinctive parts and he really does have swing.

Juana

#27 Post by Juana » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:03 am

My first real show was GNR opening for the Stones at the L.A.M.C... I had just turned 8 that summer and on my 8th birthday I told my mom I wanted to see the Stones (they were her favorite band and by proxy a lot of what I listened to along with Bob Marley, Stevie Wonder, and some others). I was playing piano prior to the show and getting lessons... from the get go as soon as GNR took the stage I knew I was going to witness something else.. after that show and seeing first Izzy/Slash and Ronnie/Keef I told my mother I wanted to play guitar.

So yes I will go see this for nostalgia purposes and because the other half has never seen them (I saw them again in 92 with FNM and Metallica) just like she had never seen Jane's so I figure it will be good. Well as long as Axl has been taking care of himself lately. Saw Slash a few months ago and he was still a monster and albeit better than he used to be. My biggest question is, "is Izzy in or not?"

JOEinPHX

#28 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:28 pm

What I've been reading of all the rumors lately is that it's basically Axl, Slash, and Duff with a couple of the newer guys (Ferrer, Fortus, and Dizzy Reed). But the plan is to have guests (Izzy, Gilby, Adler) on different legs of the tour.

And today I read Dave Kushner is going to be in the band. So... I think we're going to see Velvet Revolver and Guns n Roses merge.

Imagine Axl singing Suckertrain Blues. I'd pay to see that. Now that he's singing in a lower register he could absolutely sing some of those Weiland parts pretty faithfully.

Juana

#29 Post by Juana » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Yeah I doubt Izzy wants anything to do with a full tour but he has been playing with all those guys off and on thru out the years, he was part of the writing on the first VR record from what I read.

Mescal

#30 Post by Mescal » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:25 am

Six7Six7 wrote:What I've been reading of all the rumors lately is that it's basically Axl, Slash, and Duff with a couple of the newer guys (Ferrer, Fortus, and Dizzy Reed). But the plan is to have guests (Izzy, Gilby, Adler) on different legs of the tour.

And today I read Dave Kushner is going to be in the band. So... I think we're going to see Velvet Revolver and Guns n Roses merge.

Imagine Axl singing Suckertrain Blues. I'd pay to see that. Now that he's singing in a lower register he could absolutely sing some of those Weiland parts pretty faithfully.
why wouldn 't Sorum be in on it?

Did they have a fall out?

I don't think Axl is gonna song any STP/VR tunes

Tyler Durden

#31 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Axl is appearing on Jimmy Kimmel this Tuesday and will be revealing all the details then. So I'm sure we'll hear who is going to be in the band (for sure) and/or if some people will only be guesting in some cities.

nausearockpig

#32 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Mescal wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:What I've been reading of all the rumors lately is that it's basically Axl, Slash, and Duff with a couple of the newer guys (Ferrer, Fortus, and Dizzy Reed). But the plan is to have guests (Izzy, Gilby, Adler) on different legs of the tour.

why wouldn 't Sorum be in on it?

Did they have a fall out?

I don't think Axl is gonna song any STP/VR tunes
Fans wouldn't want Sorum playing as he's not the OG drummer, Adler is. As to whether Adler could pull off the drumming on Use Your Illusion, I'm sure he could, he'd just need rehearsal time....

Mescal

#33 Post by Mescal » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Well Sorum would still be better than a hired gun?

I don’t think Adler can play Sorum’s drum parts? Didn’t he say so himself?

Tyler Durden

#34 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Steven Adler is on record saying that he is open to sharing the stage with Matt Sorum. He has basically said he just wants to play on the Appetite songs (and "Civil War" as he played on that track).

nausearockpig

#35 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Adler seems like a genuinely nice guy. Reading his book he comes across as humble and thankful to have had the chance to play music for a living. From what little I've seen on youtube interviews Sorum comes across like a twat, but I'm sure he's just over all the bullshit he has to put up with from OG GNR fans... who knows.

Tyler Durden

#36 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:39 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Adler seems like a genuinely nice guy. Reading his book he comes across as humble and thankful to have had the chance to play music for a living. From what little I've seen on youtube interviews Sorum comes across like a twat, but I'm sure he's just over all the bullshit he has to put up with from OG GNR fans... who knows.
Yup. Steven seems like a totally nice, down to earth guy...despite his past demons. Matt seems like a prima donna douche.

Regardless, I think Steven's drum work is way better than Matt's. I really hope he's is part of the tour.

nausearockpig

#37 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:44 pm

nausearockpig

#38 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:47 pm

hahah something's missing.....

nausearockpig

#39 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Seventeen guitar players and Axl singing the "grass is green" bit of the chorus differently :no:

Summik ain't right here...

Tyler Durden

#40 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:10 pm

I always feel uncomfortable watching the Axl Rose Solo Show. Any time I see fill-in musicians posturing, acting like they are gods, and that they wrote the music really gets under my skin.

nausearockpig

#41 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:I always feel uncomfortable watching the Axl Rose Solo Show. Any time I see fill-in musicians posturing, acting like they are gods, and that they wrote the music really gets under my skin.
Yup.. Also all the explosions and general showiness of it all goes against the down and dirty thing that GnR was back in the day.

Tyler Durden

#42 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:35 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:I always feel uncomfortable watching the Axl Rose Solo Show. Any time I see fill-in musicians posturing, acting like they are gods, and that they wrote the music really gets under my skin.
Yup.. Also all the explosions and general showiness of it all goes against the down and dirty thing that GnR was back in the day.
Exactly. I mean, the grand piano and backup singers during the Illusion tour(s) was bad enough...though slightly forgivable. :lol:

nausearockpig

#43 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Exactly. I mean, the grand piano and backup singers during the Illusion tour(s) was bad enough...though slightly forgivable. :lol:
I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a grand piano and an industry-standard electric keyboard doo-hicky being played on stage.... Just another one of Axl's excesses - carting a full piano around the world :lol:

Tyler Durden

#44 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Seriously though, if they are going to do this...it must be done right. Don't half ass it. It's like when "Jane's Addiction" decides to tour or record. Don't just phone it in and grab the cash.

nausearockpig

#45 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Seriously though, if they are going to do this...it must be done right. Don't half ass it. It's like when "Jane's Addiction" decides to tour or record. Don't just phone it in and grab the cash.
From what I've seen on the youtubes, Axl does a good job with his tribute show. His voice isn't what it used to be, but in saying that he used to do that screeching sort of live singing a lot back in the day anyway so he should be OK. I can't see Duff and Slash not doing a good job. Same with Adler for whatever songs or parts he does. If they bring in Izzy and not Dizzy or whomever they've had on guitar in the past and keep away from keyboards and all that grandiose bullshit it'll be awesome... But it won't be, it'll be a mega-spectacle that will embarrass Slash, Duff and Stephen (and Izzy if he rejoins)....

Pandemonium

#46 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Apparently, this is the "new" lineup. No Izzy, no Steve Adler or even Matt Sorum. It appears Axl and Slash get to drag along their favorite guitarists from their previous bands:

Axl Rose
Slash
Duff McKagan
Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver) on 2nd guitar
Richard Fortus on 3rd guitar
Frank Ferrer on drums
Dizzy Reed on keyboards
Chris Pitman, multi-instrumentalist

Also, it appears Axl backed out of his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel tomorrow.

Tyler Durden

#47 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Apparently, this is the "new" lineup. No Izzy, no Steve Adler or even Matt Sorum. It appears Axl and Slash get to drag along their favorite guitarists from their previous bands:

Axl Rose
Slash
Duff McKagan
Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver) on 2nd guitar
Richard Fortus on 3rd guitar
Frank Ferrer on drums
Dizzy Reed on keyboards
Chris Pitman, multi-instrumentalist

Also, it appears Axl backed out of his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel tomorrow.
Definitely won't see that bullshit.

How do you know he backed out of Kimmel? I Googled and found nothing.

kv

#48 Post by kv » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:15 pm

No Izzy? Fuck them

nausearockpig

#49 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:17 pm

3rd guitar? Keyboards? No Adler or Izzy.. so much for the "original GnR".. hahah losers.

Pandemonium

#50 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:How do you know he backed out of Kimmel? I Googled and found nothing.
He was scheduled as of last week for an appearance and it was listed on Kimmel's website this morning and was removed just a few hours ago. Someone in the GnR camp confirmed to one of the band message boards that the appearance was not happening.