Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
nausearockpig

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#141 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

I remember reading in Adler's book he said if you go back and watch all the old live vids, he's always smiling, loving every second of it, (seemingly) unlike a lot of the others. Same with this show..

Has Axl had some work done around his mouth? It sounded like his pronunciation was off when speaking, not singing.

Tyler Durden

#142 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 pm

To me, Steven Adler was the heart of the original GNR. "Throwing a bone" to him is kind of an insult (when he should've been part of the whole tour). Appetite For Destruction without him would be like Siamese Dream without Jimmy Chamberlain...fucking sacrilege.

I find it incredibly distasteful that the media is touting this tour as a reunion of the "original" band when Steven and Izzy aren't really a part of it. Slash and Duff should never have done this without them, but it's all about money at the end of the day. While this had been in the works for at least a couple of years, I'm sure Scott Weiland's downward spiral and inevitable demise greased the wheels.

Seriously, why the hell are there 7 people onstage? :confused: And the majority of them weren't in the original GNR. :lol:

Ganondorf

#143 Post by Ganondorf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 am

i know people like to give drummers all the credit for everything, but i'd say Axl was the heart of the band :king: :ele: :soap: :paints:

Tyler Durden

#144 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Ganondorf wrote:i know people like to give drummers all the credit for everything, but i'd say Axl was the heart of the band :king: :ele: :soap: :paints:

Nah...he was the testicles of the band. And I sincerely mean that as a compliment. He was the ultimate badass/dickhead...jumping into crowds, punching out people, showing up late, inciting riots, singing about "niggers" and "faggots", etc. He was bold and brave.

Steven was the heart because he was like a coked up or blackout drunk version of Perkins..."Hey man, I was want to play and for everyone to have a good time, man". :perk:

Juana

#145 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:55 pm

To me Izzy was the heart and soul and his solo albums are all pretty good as well as the Ju Ju Hounds. That record sounded like a GNR record but basically without Axl.

Tyler Durden

#146 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:52 am

Axl - balls
Slash - brain
Duff - liver
Izzy - soul
Steven - heart

Ganondorf

#147 Post by Ganondorf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Axl is the heart and soul of AC/DC

nausearockpig

#148 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Pandemonium

#149 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:14 pm

I've been looking at tickets foe the two Rose Bowl dates this week and I could get into the pit. Oddly, Thursday (which was advertised for months as sold out, which it is far from) the pit is $350 while Friday is $275. Just not very motivated to take the bait.

nausearockpig

#150 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Jesus.. those are some prices!

Artemis

#151 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 am

For anyone interested..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-ro ... iew-video/

AXL ROSE And DUFF MCKAGAN Discuss GUNS N' ROSES Reunion Publicly For First Time In Brazilian TV Interview (Video)

Everybody's Friend

#152 Post by Everybody's Friend » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Axl was def the weak link in the concert.

The singing was ok - no complaints there. But he was like a robot on stage: Do one move, move up to mike, put hand out, look to the left, back up and repeat. He was like one of the animitronic things at chuck e cheese. :neutral:

The overall show was good though. I really just wanted to hear Slash's solos in person. Estranged gave me goosebumps. Good times.

Tyler Durden

#153 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:25 am

Juana

#154 Post by Juana » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 pm

Well that certainly is disappointing figuring that he wrote a majority of the songs that they're playing and is the only one still capable of writing music

nausearockpig

#155 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:29 am

Juana wrote:
Well that certainly is disappointing figuring that he wrote a majority of the songs that they're playing and is the only one still capable of writing music
I'd go out in a limb and say this is not the only factor of disappointment on this tour. Axl's voice will be one of the others.

Tyler Durden

#156 Post by Tyler Durden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:04 am

nausearockpig wrote:
Juana wrote:
I'd go out in a limb and say this is not the only factor of disappointment on this tour. Axl's voice will be one of the others.
And Steven Adler not being on drums.

Plus, it's a bloody joke that the reunited "Guns 'N' Roses" has more people in the band that weren't actually in the original group than were. There's 7 people in the lineup, 3 of which were actually in the real Guns 'N' Roses. It's ridiculous.

Mescal

#157 Post by Mescal » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Juana wrote:

Plus, it's a bloody joke that the reunited "Guns 'N' Roses" has more people in the band that weren't actually in the original group than were. There's 7 people in the lineup, 3 of which were actually in the real Guns 'N' Roses. It's ridiculous.

I said it before, I like the guy on drums.

Can Steven actually play the Illusion stuff? He has his own style, but I don’t think that technically he’s the best drummer?

How come Matt Sorum isn’t on drums btw?

I agree the Axl voice statement. His new voice is annoying after a while.

Didn’t I read somewhere that there’s going to be a European tour in 2017?

nausearockpig

#158 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Mescal wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Juana wrote:

I said it before, I like the guy on drums.

Can Steven actually play the Illusion stuff? He has his own style, but I don’t think that technically he’s the best drummer?

How come Matt Sorum isn’t on drums btw?

I agree the Axl voice statement. His new voice is annoying after a while.

Yeah but you liking the guy on drums, no matter how good or not he is (i'm sure he is very good), doesn't make him part of the "original GnR" which is what this was touted when it first came out... Actually it may not have been even marketed as that, rather a reunion of some of the original members.

No idea whether Steven can play the Illusion songs, I suppose he could learn them to a degree, and the fans would forgive any mistakes or slipups for sure. Just to have him back in the band.. Wasn't he playing on Civil War originally?

I think Sorum was busy, or a douche, or both, but definitely a douche... hahhaha

I'd not heard that about Izzy and the $, Axl must've been acting like a cunt, or maybe not. If he's willing to pay Duff and Slash what turns out to be an appropriate amount of money, it's hard to understand how he would not cough up for Izzy.

Matz

#159 Post by Matz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Mescal wrote:[
I haven't read anything but of course they're coming

Pandemonium

#160 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:02 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Yeah but you liking the guy on drums, no matter how good or not he is (i'm sure he is very good), doesn't make him part of the "original GnR" which is what this was touted when it first came out... Actually it may not have been even marketed as that, rather a reunion of some of the original members.

No idea whether Steven can play the Illusion songs, I suppose he could learn them to a degree, and the fans would forgive any mistakes or slipups for sure. Just to have him back in the band.. Wasn't he playing on Civil War originally?

I think Sorum was busy, or a douche, or both, but definitely a douche... hahhaha

I'd not heard that about Izzy and the $, Axl must've been acting like a cunt, or maybe not. If he's willing to pay Duff and Slash what turns out to be an appropriate amount of money, it's hard to understand how he would not cough up for Izzy.
Izzy has always been kind of the odd man out despite his significant role in the original lineup. He clearly doesn't like doing major tours. He's always kept at least a civil relationship with Axl, Slash and Duff. He's guested at some shows with Axl's GnR the past 10 years. In fact, Izzy almost was a part of Velvet Revolver. According to Slash, during early rehearsals and songwriting sessions, Izzy more or less just showed up to jam with the band and had several songs ready to go making 2nd guitarist Dave Kushner really nervous he was going to get let go. After a couple weeks, Izzy stopped showing up and the rest of the band moved on. IMO, Izzy is the Eric Avery of GnR.

As for Matt Sorum, Duff and to a lesser degree Slash are friends with him, but I think Axl doesn't like him much (he fired Sorum in '96). Also, Axl wanted to keep the current drummer, Frank Ferrer in the line-up who is a salaried employee. I really wish they at least included Adler as a 2nd drummer who would lead on the AFD songs but I think he's still warily regarded, especially after hurting his back days before the 1st club show in LA.

The bottom line was this tour was strictly about a big payday for the three principles. Four or five and that's just more percentages of the total take divided up. Everyone else is salaried employees who don't get percentages, especially of merch sales.

SR

#161 Post by SR » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 pm

I thought Izzy and Axl came in together notwithstanding the occasional socializing with Duff (even prior to the finalized line-up.....losing the LA Guns guitarist). Adler and Slash recruited Duff and they finally merged with Axl and Izzy..... :noclue:

Maybe not....my info comes from Duff's book and what I vaguely remember from being there (kind of: 1. I was usually fucked up. 2. I really wasn't into them much.) Though I have grown to love this band a great deal.

Mescal

#162 Post by Mescal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Izzy has always been kind of the odd man out despite his significant role in the original lineup. He clearly doesn't like doing major tours. He's always kept at least a civil relationship with Axl, Slash and Duff. He's guested at some shows with Axl's GnR the past 10 years. In fact, Izzy almost was a part of Velvet Revolver. According to Slash, during early rehearsals and songwriting sessions, Izzy more or less just showed up to jam with the band and had several songs ready to go making 2nd guitarist Dave Kushner really nervous he was going to get let go. After a couple weeks, Izzy stopped showing up and the rest of the band moved on. IMO, Izzy is the Eric Avery of GnR.

As for Matt Sorum, Duff and to a lesser degree Slash are friends with him, but I think Axl doesn't like him much (he fired Sorum in '96). Also, Axl wanted to keep the current drummer, Frank Ferrer in the line-up who is a salaried employee. I really wish they at least included Adler as a 2nd drummer who would lead on the AFD songs but I think he's still warily regarded, especially after hurting his back days before the 1st club show in LA.

The bottom line was this tour was strictly about a big payday for the three principles. Four or five and that's just more percentages of the total take divided up. Everyone else is salaried employees who don't get percentages, especially of merch sales.
Then, in the end, why include Duff in the 'New Guns n Roses'?

Why didn't they make this a 'Axl reunites with Slash' Guns N Roses Tour? It's all about these two really

Then they only had to split the loot by 2, and not by 3?

Nobody cares about Duff. He's not the greatest bass player in the world. And I don't think that he wrote much other than the breakdown in Welcome to the Jungle and maybe 14 years or something.

Listen at around the 2:40 mark.

Slash played that bass intro on the studio album btw

nausearockpig

#163 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

It all seems a bit off-colour though.. should be all or nothing.. but it's Axl or nothing... seeing as he probably still owns the brand/band name...

Mescal

#164 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:31 am

nausearockpig wrote:Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

It all seems a bit off-colour though.. should be all or nothing.. but it's Axl or nothing... seeing as he probably still owns the brand/band name...
As was Steven Adler's :noclue:

Axl indeed owns the name

nausearockpig

#165 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 am

Mescal wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

As was Steven Adler's :noclue:

Axl indeed owns the name
yup totes... It should be the original five or nothing. fuck that.