Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Guns N' Roses reunion??

#1 Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I read this week that Slash and Axl have made up.

If there is a GNR reunion tout, I would check it out.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/2 ... s-n-roses/

2016 will be “a big year” for Guns N’ Roses

Recent comments by people "in the know" suggest a GNR reunion may actually be happening

Many have wondered if Axl Rose and Slash’s new found friendship might lead the way to a reunion of the Guns N’ Roses‘ classic lineup. A number of recent comments from people “in the know” have done little to suggest otherwise.

In an interview with a St. Louis radio station last week, GNR’s current guitarist Richard Fortus declared that 2016 will be “a big year” for the band. He stopped short of providing any specifics — however, when pressed whether or not he is the only guitarist in the band at the moment, he insinuated that not to be the case. As previously reported, the band’s other two guitarists, DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot, announced their departure in July.

Meanwhile, an Australian promoter named James Young has told TripleM radio that Guns N’ Roses is rumored to be headlining the country’s Soundwave Music Festival next year. “I heard the most amazing rumor this week, from a very well-informed heavy hitter in the Australian music industry,” Young explained. “So what mega band could it be? I heard on Wednesday night that it would be Steven Adler, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan, Slash and Axl Rose – the reformation of the original 1987 Appetite For Destruction Guns N’ Roses!”

Eddie Trunk, host of That Metal Show which recently featured Axl Rose as a guest, also believes a reunion is in the works. In the latest episode of his podcast, Trunk said that he reached out to Slash’s management in the wake of his recent comments and was told the media had blown things out of proportion. However, that could all just be publicist spin to avoid spoiling the news early. Additionally, Trunk himself said he thinks a reunion will happen eventually (via Blabbermouth).

For their part, members of GNR’s classic lineup have stay silent since Slash’s comments went viral. However, in the past, Slash said he would be open to such a reunion, telling CBS This Morning, “Never say never.” So, it would appear the decision rest in the hands of one W. Axl Rose. Hopefully he makes the right decision.

Below, watch a clip from this week’s episode of Rock it Out! Blog in which the panel discusses the rumors.

SR

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#2 Post by SR » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:09 pm

It will happen

Mescal

#3 Post by Mescal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire

I’d better catch one of their first 5 reunion shows

They’ll split up again after that

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:06 pm

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/g ... ella-2016/

Guns N’ Roses’ founding members to reunite, headlining Coachella 2016

As of three years ago, the relationship between Guns N’ Roses’ classic lineup was so sour Axl Rose chose to sit out of the band’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now, though, Rose has let bygones be bygones and, in 2016, he’ll give fans the lineup they so have long desired.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of the band’s plans, Guns N’ Roses will reunite to headline Coachella 2016. Meanwhile, Billboard reports that the band also plans to embark on a stadium tour spanning as many as 25 dates.

The band’s exact lineup is unclear, though Axl, Slash, and Duff McKagan are all involved, sources tell CoS. An official announcement is imminent.

Guns N’ Roses’ classic lineup last performed together in July 1993. The band has had several chances to reunite since then, though it seems this latest opportunity was too big and rich to pass up. According to Alex Martel, founder of Canada’s Rock Fest, GNR are asking for offers of at least eight million per show.

Along with Guns N’ Roses, LCD Soundsystem will reunite to headline Coachella’s 2016 edition. A full lineup announcement is expected in early January.

Here's the Billboard article too:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -las-vegas
Guns N’ Roses, with founding members Axl Rose and Slash, will headline the Coachella Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., set for April 15-17 and April 22-24, according to multiple sources. The reunited band is also negotiating with promoters to play as many as 25 football stadiums in North America in the summer of 2016, and is scheduled to be one of the first acts to play the new Las Vegas Arena, set to open April 6. Guns N' Roses is said to be asking as much as $3 million per show, with tickets topping out in the $250-$275 range.

The last show Axl Rose and Slash played together was on July 17, 1993 at River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires. Guns N' Roses' most recent tour, which only included Axl Rose from the original lineup, took place primarily in South America and The Joint in Las Vegas, grossing $15.2 million.

Representatives for the band, as well as Coachella producer Paul Tollett and agent Ken Fermaglich at United Talent Agency, could not be reached for comment. Executives at AEG, which will operate the new Vegas arena, also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The band's first album, Appetite for Destruction, is the biggest-selling debut in U.S. history, with 18 million sold. It spent five weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, and launched the No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 single "Sweet Child O' Mine." They have sold 44.5 million albums total in the U.S., according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

Billboard's confirmation comes on the heels of two rumor-inducing hints dropped over the past week, the first a cryptic update to the Guns N' Roses website and the second during screenings of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, where footage of a concert crowd was shown with GN'R music overdubbed. Though longtime fans may be understandably wary after the decade-plus wait for Chinese Democracy, which became a totem of sorts to frontman Axl Rose's sometimes unpredictable behavior, this reunion bears no sign of that record's bumpy road.

Coachella has a pedigree for coaxing much-loved acts out of retirement, or being the linchpin to plans that had already been simmering. The fest has previously hosted the reunions of Rage Against The Machine in 2007, My Bloody Valentine in 2009, Pulp in 2012 and Outkast in 2014 -- not to mention Tupac's posthumous return to the stage in 2012. Guns N' Roses will arrive a year after two other legendary acts, AC/DC and Steely Dan, headlined the 2015 edition. Last year's edition drew 198,000 to the California desert, generating $84.2 million in revenue, according to Boxscore[

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm

That early Soundwave rumor is now debunked given SW is gone...

Bandit72

#6 Post by Bandit72 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:40 am

UK reporting this too. £186 a ticket!

nausearockpig

#7 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 pm

What's up with Axl's face and voice.....

Matz

#8 Post by Matz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 pm

wtf makes this band so special?! They've got Welcome to the jungle, Paradise City, the intro to my My michelle and Civil War....what happens after that?! not a lot

nausearockpig

#9 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Matz wrote:wtf makes this band so special?! They've got Welcome to the jungle, Paradise City, My michelle and Civil War....what happens after that?! not a lot

For younguns like us at the time, just coming into "real music" it was dangerous and mystical rawk music. Something loud and bad and dirty and sexy and just.... so far removed from whatever else was around. Lies, Appetite and 50% of Use Your Illusion are just brilliant..... I think maybe I shoulda moved to LA when I was 19....

Artemis

#10 Post by Artemis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:55 pm

I loved AFD from the first time I heard it in '87! I wasn't into the "Crue" or Poison, or any of those other similar bands that were popular at the time. GNR stood for me as being a little harder and better than those bands. Plus, I thought Axl Rose was hot then. :lol:

nausearockpig

#11 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Listening to AFD with headphones on an concentrating on the guitars and bass is really cool. There's some really great stuff on there..

Pandemonium

#12 Post by Pandemonium » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Matz wrote:wtf makes this band so special?! They've got Welcome to the jungle, Paradise City, the intro to my My michelle and Civil War....what happens after that?! not a lot
The "Appetite For Destruction" album is really one of the great rock n' roll albums of the 80's. Great songs, perfectly sequenced and spot on, in-your-face production. It was like Sticky Fingers/Exile era Stones meets prime AC/DC. It was one of those rare albums that you could pick almost any song off it and it would be a great single. Obviously that style of now dated hard rock is not everyone's cup of tea but when AFD came out in '87, much of what passed for hard rock and metal was losing it's edge and falling into far too radio-friendly syrup led by guitar wankery LA bands like Van Hagar, Dokken, Ratt, etc. Although GnR did follow some of the same musical tropes as guys like Motley Crue, they clearly had a unpredictable edge and at least up through the end of the 80's, were the real deal. I've related the story here when I saw them before their first EP, they opened for The Lords Of The New Church at Fenders club in Long Beach in '86-ish and their set was one of the funniest trainwrecks I'd ever seen with Duff passing out onstage during the last song. Then I saw them several times during the year when AFD came out and it was like a different band. There was a short time when GnR where considered to be the successors to The Rolling Stones which pretty much ended the week they opened for the Stones in LA in late '89 and basically imploded onstage during those 3 shows.

If it's true they are going to do stadiums this Summer, I'll sit it out no matter what the ticket prices are going to be. I saw them probably a dozen times between '86 - '92 and once as Axl's cover band in '06... at this point I don't need to hear Welcome To The Jungle in a crappy stadium performed by a bunch of guys now way past their prime looking to pad their retirement nest egg.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 pm

It will probably be Matt Sorum on drums (which is unfortunate but I'll still go).

If Slash was the sleaze of GNR, Steven Adler was the swagger...

nausearockpig

#14 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:10 pm

man i hate that hi-hat & snare banditry. do most drummers not realise that those other bits of the drum kit can be used for more than just filling? Hi-hats and cymbal should not be just used to "make noise" FFS...

... jus' sayin'....

Maybe they can have to sets and two kits: one with Steve A playing the Lies/AFD songs and Matt playing the UYI songs. Tha'd be coooool....

creep
Site Admin

#15 Post by creep » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:20 pm

my first memory of gnr

i remember that this girl i liked had a vhs tape of live at the ritz and wanted to come over and watch it. she brought her friend that i also liked. i got a friend that was 21 to buy me a case of beer and i then came up with a great idea. i hid the vcr in the family room and when they came over i said i only had a vcr in my room. so me, two girls, a case of beer and the vhs tape headed to my room and we all layed down on my waterbed and drank and watched the tape. then we all started making out....oh wait. that didn't happen. nothing happened at all. :nyrexall:

Tyler Durden

#16 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:00 pm

:lol:

Yeah, the Live at the Ritz show was awesome. They should've released a hard copy of it.

nausearockpig

#17 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Those 1992 live Japan DVDs are ok. But not OG

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 pm

nausearockpig wrote:Those 1992 live Japan DVDs are ok. But not OG
I didn't like the way these shows were shot. Too much black space...it makes the venue feel even huger than it probably was. And the stage is way too big. Half of these shows is just Axl running across black backdrops. :lol: It's too bad they never released anything else or hired a filmmaker to shoot them on film (as opposed to video). From what I've seen, the Ritz show for MTV is probably the best show of theirs all around (original band, small stage, good lighting, good set, etc).

Mescal

#19 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:23 am

Matz wrote:wtf makes this band so special?! They've got Welcome to the jungle, Paradise City, the intro to my My michelle and Civil War....what happens after that?! not a lot
Patience
You could be mine
Estranged
Locomotive
November Rain

They have tons of great songs

Mescal

#20 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:29 am

Tyler Durden wrote::lol:

Yeah, the Live at the Ritz show was awesome. They should've released a hard copy of it.
I read somewhere on a forum (might be xiola, or old anr?) About a member being at that ritz show.

she was telling she was standing on top of a staircase, and she saw someone passing out in the crowd, then suddenly lots of security around him, carrying him out.

She was a bit surprised when she saw the same guy on stage only a half an hour later.

Slash is a trooper!

Mescal

#21 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:33 am

Pandemonium wrote:
The "Appetite For Destruction" album is really one of the great rock n' roll albums of the 80's. Great songs, perfectly sequenced and spot on, in-your-face production. It was like Sticky Fingers/Exile era Stones meets prime AC/DC. It was one of those rare albums that you could pick almost any song off it and it would be a great single. Obviously that style of now dated hard rock is not everyone's cup of tea but when AFD came out in '87, much of what passed for hard rock and metal was losing it's edge and falling into far too radio-friendly syrup led by guitar wankery LA bands like Van Hagar, Dokken, Ratt, etc. Although GnR did follow some of the same musical tropes as guys like Motley Crue, they clearly had a unpredictable edge and at least up through the end of the 80's, were the real deal. I've related the story here when I saw them before their first EP, they opened for The Lords Of The New Church at Fenders club in Long Beach in '86-ish and their set was one of the funniest trainwrecks I'd ever seen with Duff passing out onstage during the last song. Then I saw them several times during the year when AFD came out and it was like a different band. There was a short time when GnR where considered to be the successors to The Rolling Stones which pretty much ended the week they opened for the Stones in LA in late '89 and basically imploded onstage during those 3 shows.

If it's true they are going to do stadiums this Summer, I'll sit it out no matter what the ticket prices are going to be. I saw them probably a dozen times between '86 - '92 and once as Axl's cover band in '06... at this point I don't need to hear Welcome To The Jungle in a crappy stadium performed by a bunch of guys now way past their prime looking to pad their retirement nest egg.

I wouldn’t either if I’d seen em ten times in their heyday.

So indeed, why should you, haven’t you learned anything from JA?

Mescal

#22 Post by Mescal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:36 am

And Steven Adler has some chops (has he still now, after years of drug abuse?) But he is nowhere in the same league as Matt Sorum

Artemis

#23 Post by Artemis » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:30 am

I'd like to see GNR one more time, but if the ticket prices are going to be so expensive, I will pass. I've seen them a few times over the years. The last time was in 2002(I think) when Buckethead was in the band. Before that saw them in '91 with Skid Row. Then a year later with Metallica and Faith No More.

Here's a vid about the Montreal riot

Pandemonium

#24 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 am

Mescal wrote:I wouldn’t either if I’d seen em ten times in their heyday.

So indeed, why should you, haven’t you learned anything from JA?
Well, it has been almost exactly 9 years since the last time I saw them (which was admittedly a great show, Izzy guested on about 10 songs), so yeah, the thrill is pretty much gone. It's really down to hating stadium shows and the fact they probably will play the same burnout tunes w/no new music.

Tyler Durden

#25 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:40 am

In my defense, I've never seen them...so I'll likely go, depending on who is in the band.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I did like GNR but I was also a alternative music snob. Most of the people at my high school that went to see them were either metalheads or jocks. It was like going to a WWF event. I was saving my money for club shows and lesser known acts. And I was under the assumption that despite the unpredictability of the band, that they would stay together like Pearl Jam or Metallica did and crank out an album and tour every so often. I was mistaken and regret not seeing them during their heyday. When Axl Rose solo project back into town, I had no interest.