Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Artemis

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#121 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:02 pm

creep wrote:axl sounds good
Yep, way better than I thought he would. :thumb:

On an unrelated note, I am glad Axl shaved off that facial hair he had going. He no longer looks like a portly, sweaty perv. :lol:

Artemis

#122 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Its honestly not bad and it seems Axl sings better when he's off his feet. The real barometer is going to be if Axl can pull off any of the Brian Johnson era songs which imo, are harder for a singer. The whole idea Axl fronting AC/DC is still hard to wrap my head around.
Sitting down he's not exerting energy on dance/stage moves =all his breath is going for singing.

I'm sure Axl knows that many of the AC/DC fans are not too chuffed about him replacing Brian Johnson. He will have to do a helluva a job to win them over.

Matz

#123 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:21 pm

right, some of those fans never even accepted Brian Johnson, uphill battle for sure

Artemis

#124 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Oh yeah, I always forget about Bon Scott. When I became aware of AC/DC, Brian Johnson was the singer.

Mescal

#125 Post by Mescal » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Axl looks like Matt Sorum when he was still in GnR.

And Axl gets Slash to play songs from Chinese Democracy and to play Rhythm guitar. I mean Angus and Slash could have shared solo duties on those AC DC tunes.

Juana

#126 Post by Juana » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 pm

perkana wrote:I stayed up late for nothing. Here's Coachella show's complete setlist:
It’s So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin’ Jive
Estranged
Live and Let Die (Wings cover)
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
Attitude (Misfits cover) (with “You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory” intro)
This I Love
Coma
Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
Sweet Child O’ Mine
Better
Civil War
Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC cover) (with Angus Young)
Riff Raff (AC/DC cover) (with Angus Young)
Wish You Were Here (Jam) (Pink Floyd cover)
November Rain
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
Nightrain

Encore:
Patience
The Seeker (The Who cover)
Paradise City
Interesting that they played This I Love that is one of the CD songs that Slash and Duff had a hand in writing, you can hear the instrumentals on the making of the trilogy thing that they released back in the day.

Artemis

#127 Post by Artemis » Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 am

Since we don't have an AC/DC thread, I'm putting this link here.

BBC 6 radio interview with Axl and AC/DC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t7kvc

Tyler Durden

#128 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Mescal

#129 Post by Mescal » Wed May 18, 2016 7:44 am

Tyler Durden wrote:It's such bullshit. It's obvious that Slash and Duff are still Axl's bitches. Shame on them. I guess money talks...it's too bad that Axl and a bunch of goons drew more money than Slash, Duff, and the late Weiland (though I was never really a Weiland fan). Slash and Duff are like Dave and Perk...and obviously, Axl is Perry in the equation. :lol:

If there had been any justice in the GNR history books, it would've been that Slash and Duff sold out arenas with whatever band they came up with while Axl was playing small venues or opening for Poison. Unfortunately, the masses are more into brand names than anything else.

GNR was never a one man show, so to speak...they weren't Nirvana.

I'd honestly rather watch this on repeat than go see "Guns 'N' Roses"...

I'm listening to a recording of their recent Las Vegas show, and I must say, I really like their drummer. Tight and up-tempo. I like him more than Matt and steven.

thoreau

#130 Post by thoreau » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 am

Mescal wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:It's such bullshit. It's obvious that Slash and Duff are still Axl's bitches. Shame on them. I guess money talks...it's too bad that Axl and a bunch of goons drew more money than Slash, Duff, and the late Weiland (though I was never really a Weiland fan). Slash and Duff are like Dave and Perk...and obviously, Axl is Perry in the equation. :lol:

If there had been any justice in the GNR history books, it would've been that Slash and Duff sold out arenas with whatever band they came up with while Axl was playing small venues or opening for Poison. Unfortunately, the masses are more into brand names than anything else.

GNR was never a one man show, so to speak...they weren't Nirvana.

I'd honestly rather watch this on repeat than go see "Guns 'N' Roses"...

I'm listening to a recording of their recent Las Vegas show, and I must say, I really like their drummer. Tight and up-tempo. I like him more than Matt and steven.
I like Frank Ferrer's drumming a whole lot as well. It's sad, because he's been getting bashed by a large part of the fanbase since the reunion. I think it really boils down to less that they hate his drumming, and more that they hate that Steven or Matt aren't up on the throne.

Mescal

#131 Post by Mescal » Thu May 19, 2016 7:59 am

Is he being bashed, really?

He's really powerful, and pushes them forward. Listen to You Could Be Mine.

Listening to the recording, Axl's new high pitched voice annoys me after a while.

This is the voice I mean (he had it since Chinese Democracy):

thoreau

#132 Post by thoreau » Fri May 20, 2016 11:50 am

Mescal wrote:Is he being bashed, really?

He's really powerful, and pushes them forward. Listen to You Could Be Mine.

Listening to the recording, Axl's new high pitched voice annoys me after a while.

This is the voice I mean (he had it since Chinese Democracy):

Yeah, from what I've seen, he has been by a bunch of people. A lot of complaints that he can keep correct tempo with songs, which I don't agree with at all. I think he's closer to Steven's style than Mattt in that he has a definite groove swing that was a big soul piece of the original GNR.

Mescal

#133 Post by Mescal » Sat May 21, 2016 3:56 am

From what I heard he just plays some songs faster. Which is a good thing. And I totaal agree that he has the right feel

Artemis

#134 Post by Artemis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 pm

A pretty good quality vid from last night at Soldier Field in Chicago.

Guns N’ Roses set list Friday at Soldier Field:

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome to the Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Estranged
Live and Let Die (Wings cover)
Rocket Queen
You Could Be Mine
You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory/New Rose (Johnny Thunders cover/Damned cover)
This I Love
Civil War
Coma
Speak Softly Love (theme from "The Godfather")
Sweet Child O' Mine
Better
Out Ta Get Me
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)
Layla (Derek and the Dominoes cover)
November Rain
Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan cover)
Nightrain
Encore:
Don't Cry
The Seeker (The Who cover)
Paradise City

I might get a cheap ticket in the nosebleed section for the show on 16th. I wasn't going to go, but now I kinda want to.

Juana

#135 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm going to the Houston and Dallas shows

SR

#136 Post by SR » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Adler's back

Bandit72

#137 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:10 am

SR

#138 Post by SR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 am

I caught myself smiling ear to ear watching that clip. Love seeing a true gutter drunk showing up. This band was better with him. My Michele is a dark, low down punch in the face. :rockon:

Pandemonium

#139 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 am

That was pretty cool. Adler's hungered to rejoin the band since the 90's and even though he's fucked himself up and been his own worst enemy for years, it's great to see he's worked hard for the carrot. Hopefully, going forward they'll ease him into playing at least partial sets the rest of the tour.

Ganondorf

#140 Post by Ganondorf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:15 am

they sound pretty good don't they

Adler is pretty retarded but it's cool that they threw him a bone

gnr.. kind of a guilty pleasure

nausearockpig

#141 Post by nausearockpig » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:17 pm

I remember reading in Adler's book he said if you go back and watch all the old live vids, he's always smiling, loving every second of it, (seemingly) unlike a lot of the others. Same with this show..

Has Axl had some work done around his mouth? It sounded like his pronunciation was off when speaking, not singing.

Tyler Durden

#142 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 pm

To me, Steven Adler was the heart of the original GNR. "Throwing a bone" to him is kind of an insult (when he should've been part of the whole tour). Appetite For Destruction without him would be like Siamese Dream without Jimmy Chamberlain...fucking sacrilege.

I find it incredibly distasteful that the media is touting this tour as a reunion of the "original" band when Steven and Izzy aren't really a part of it. Slash and Duff should never have done this without them, but it's all about money at the end of the day. While this had been in the works for at least a couple of years, I'm sure Scott Weiland's downward spiral and inevitable demise greased the wheels.

Seriously, why the hell are there 7 people onstage? :confused: And the majority of them weren't in the original GNR. :lol:

Ganondorf

#143 Post by Ganondorf » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 am

i know people like to give drummers all the credit for everything, but i'd say Axl was the heart of the band :king: :ele: :soap: :paints:

Tyler Durden

#144 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Ganondorf wrote:i know people like to give drummers all the credit for everything, but i'd say Axl was the heart of the band :king: :ele: :soap: :paints:

Nah...he was the testicles of the band. And I sincerely mean that as a compliment. He was the ultimate badass/dickhead...jumping into crowds, punching out people, showing up late, inciting riots, singing about "niggers" and "faggots", etc. He was bold and brave.

Steven was the heart because he was like a coked up or blackout drunk version of Perkins..."Hey man, I was want to play and for everyone to have a good time, man". :perk:

Juana

#145 Post by Juana » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:55 pm

To me Izzy was the heart and soul and his solo albums are all pretty good as well as the Ju Ju Hounds. That record sounded like a GNR record but basically without Axl.