Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#161 Post by SR » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 pm

I thought Izzy and Axl came in together notwithstanding the occasional socializing with Duff (even prior to the finalized line-up.....losing the LA Guns guitarist). Adler and Slash recruited Duff and they finally merged with Axl and Izzy..... :noclue:

Maybe not....my info comes from Duff's book and what I vaguely remember from being there (kind of: 1. I was usually fucked up. 2. I really wasn't into them much.) Though I have grown to love this band a great deal.

Mescal

#162 Post by Mescal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:
Yeah but you liking the guy on drums, no matter how good or not he is (i'm sure he is very good), doesn't make him part of the "original GnR" which is what this was touted when it first came out... Actually it may not have been even marketed as that, rather a reunion of some of the original members.

No idea whether Steven can play the Illusion songs, I suppose he could learn them to a degree, and the fans would forgive any mistakes or slipups for sure. Just to have him back in the band.. Wasn't he playing on Civil War originally?

I think Sorum was busy, or a douche, or both, but definitely a douche... hahhaha

I'd not heard that about Izzy and the $, Axl must've been acting like a cunt, or maybe not. If he's willing to pay Duff and Slash what turns out to be an appropriate amount of money, it's hard to understand how he would not cough up for Izzy.
Izzy has always been kind of the odd man out despite his significant role in the original lineup. He clearly doesn't like doing major tours. He's always kept at least a civil relationship with Axl, Slash and Duff. He's guested at some shows with Axl's GnR the past 10 years. In fact, Izzy almost was a part of Velvet Revolver. According to Slash, during early rehearsals and songwriting sessions, Izzy more or less just showed up to jam with the band and had several songs ready to go making 2nd guitarist Dave Kushner really nervous he was going to get let go. After a couple weeks, Izzy stopped showing up and the rest of the band moved on. IMO, Izzy is the Eric Avery of GnR.

As for Matt Sorum, Duff and to a lesser degree Slash are friends with him, but I think Axl doesn't like him much (he fired Sorum in '96). Also, Axl wanted to keep the current drummer, Frank Ferrer in the line-up who is a salaried employee. I really wish they at least included Adler as a 2nd drummer who would lead on the AFD songs but I think he's still warily regarded, especially after hurting his back days before the 1st club show in LA.

The bottom line was this tour was strictly about a big payday for the three principles. Four or five and that's just more percentages of the total take divided up. Everyone else is salaried employees who don't get percentages, especially of merch sales.
Then, in the end, why include Duff in the 'New Guns n Roses'?

Why didn't they make this a 'Axl reunites with Slash' Guns N Roses Tour? It's all about these two really

Then they only had to split the loot by 2, and not by 3?

Nobody cares about Duff. He's not the greatest bass player in the world. And I don't think that he wrote much other than the breakdown in Welcome to the Jungle and maybe 14 years or something.

Listen at around the 2:40 mark.

Slash played that bass intro on the studio album btw

nausearockpig

#163 Post by nausearockpig » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

It all seems a bit off-colour though.. should be all or nothing.. but it's Axl or nothing... seeing as he probably still owns the brand/band name...

Mescal

#164 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:31 am

nausearockpig wrote:Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

It all seems a bit off-colour though.. should be all or nothing.. but it's Axl or nothing... seeing as he probably still owns the brand/band name...
As was Steven Adler's :noclue:

Axl indeed owns the name

nausearockpig

#165 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 am

Mescal wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:Maybe it was Duff's attitude that made up GnR? I remember reading something about the tone of his bass, and his playing style / sound was integral ??

As was Steven Adler's :noclue:

Axl indeed owns the name
yup totes... It should be the original five or nothing. fuck that.

SR

#166 Post by SR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:02 am

116.8 million gross for North American tour.

Tyler Durden

#167 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:46 am

Duff's attitude, look, and his bass tone were integral to the band. Whether some people hear it or not, he has a very recognizable sound and it is obvious when Duff is playing bass on a song...kind of like when Joe Perry plays guitar (you just know it's him). Plus, I believe he wrote "It's So Easy" with West Arkeen.

I think the main reason that Axl threw Duff into the mix is because of the Velvet Revolver connection. Duff is tight with Slash and he is the third most recognizable member of GNR. Axl didn't bother with Matt Sorum (despite also being GNR and VR alumni) because he was not an original member and more importantly, he comes off like a total douche canon.

Regardless, it should've been all or nothing when it comes to the Appetite lineup of the band.

SR

#168 Post by SR » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:51 am

Ignoring Izzy denies them cred. Ignoring Adler denies them soul.

Tyler Durden

#169 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:03 am

SR wrote:Ignoring Izzy denies them cred. Ignoring Adler denies them soul.
Totally. For me, Adler was as important to the original GNR as Perkins was to Jane's. You take those guys out and the end result is vastly different bands.

Mescal

#170 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:49 am

Dunno, They wrote Estranged with Matt.

I think Estranged is their best song

Mescal

#171 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:53 am

Dunno, They wrote Estranged with Matt.

Tyler Durden

#172 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 am

Mescal wrote:Dunno, They wrote Estranged with Matt.

"Estranged" is a great track. There are a lot of great songs on the UYI albums...but also a fair amount of filler.

By the time the UYI came out, the musical direction of the band was quite different. While I like a song like "November Rain", it's not a song I could ever see the original band playing (even if it was written during that time). They went from being a dirty classic rock band with metal and punk crossover appeal to playing some songs that wouldn't seem out of place on a Meatloaf record. :lol:

They may have written "Estranged" with Matt...but Matt didn't have a distinct drum sound. He's fully capable and his playing is competent...but the same can be said for Chris Chaney on bass. There's just nothing unique going on.

Mescal

#173 Post by Mescal » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:13 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Mescal wrote:Dunno, They wrote Estranged with Matt.

"Estranged" is a great track. There are a lot of great songs on the UYI albums...but also a fair amount of filler.

By the time the UYI came out, the musical direction of the band was quite different. While I like a song like "November Rain", it's not a song I could ever see the original band playing (even if it was written during that time). They went from being a dirty classic rock band with metal and punk crossover appeal to playing some songs that wouldn't seem out of place on a Meatloaf record. :lol:

They may have written "Estranged" with Matt...but Matt didn't have a distinct drum sound. He's fully capable and his playing is competent...but the same can be said for Chris Chaney on bass. There's just nothing unique going on.
I'm glad they went the direction they did.

We wouldn't have needed a second AFD. It was perfect as it was.

And again, they couldn't/wouldn't have made that direction with Steven.

But still, I'll go and see Axl and Slash when they come to Belgium next year

Tyler Durden

#174 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:30 am

Mescal wrote: I'm glad they went the direction they did.

We wouldn't have needed a second AFD. It was perfect as it was.

And again, they couldn't/wouldn't have made that direction with Steven.

But still, I'll go and see Axl and Slash when they come to Belgium next year
Yeah, there's no way they could've sustained the Appetite direction. If would've become redundant quickly. They would've turned into the Ramones. If they had broken up before UYI, they would've been the Sex Pistols of 80s hard rock. They might've gotten away with an "Appetite 2" type of album if they had cranked it out in '89 or '90.

I just wish they had planned the UYI albums more and been smarter about things. There are many superior double albums out there. They should've cut the fat and released one amazing album instead of two average ones.

Regardless, the real shame is that GNR didn't survive the early to mid 90s and keep recording and releasing albums. I'm sure Chinese Democracy may be a good album (never really listened to it)...but it's an Axl Rose solo record.

Pandemonium

#175 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:37 am

SR wrote:I thought Izzy and Axl came in together notwithstanding the occasional socializing with Duff (even prior to the finalized line-up.....losing the LA Guns guitarist). Adler and Slash recruited Duff and they finally merged with Axl and Izzy..... :noclue:

Maybe not....my info comes from Duff's book and what I vaguely remember from being there (kind of: 1. I was usually fucked up. 2. I really wasn't into them much.) Though I have grown to love this band a great deal.
No, you're right. Axl and Izzy who were high school friends in Indiana were the core of Hollywood Rose and when they merged with the early version of LA Guns and quickly lost and replaced those members in a 3-4 month period with Duff, Slash and Steven Adler in that order.

Bandit72

#176 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:37 am

Interesting post I saw on Facebook by Ian McNabb of 80's alternative band The Icicle Works.

Guns 'n' Roses tickets: £95 for the nosebleeds and £225 for halfway back. Add to this booking fees, overpriced food and drink, parking fees and travel. Most of us will be watching a screen. Now then. These bands DO NOT NEED to charge this amount of lucre for their shows. We're glad they're still rockin' and we're happy to go and see them, but money is scarce and they are selecting an audience that earns good to very good wages and fuck anyone else. Their songs speak of the streets but their ticket prices speak of luxury apartments. So, no thanks chaps. Enjoy your pension funds. I x
Some truth there. I was kind of excited when I saw GnR playing the UK next year, then this post put me straight a bit.

Pandemonium

#177 Post by Pandemonium » Fri May 04, 2018 12:53 am

Check out the insane prices and all the useless swag for the two biggest versions of the upcoming Appetite For Destruction box set.

https://gnrmerch.com/collections/appeti ... estruction

Nearly a grand for the big crate and no live shows included?!? Geddafuckouttahere.

chaos

#178 Post by chaos » Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Check out the insane prices and all the useless swag for the two biggest versions of the upcoming Appetite For Destruction box set.

https://gnrmerch.com/collections/appeti ... estruction

Nearly a grand for the big crate and no live shows included?!? Geddafuckouttahere.
This reminds me of an interview where Gene Simmons talks about "the vault" (I think it was on Hardtalk on BBC). I think you get more for the money with Simmons though. :lol:

Here is a Blabbermouth article about it:
GENE SIMMONS Explains Decision To Hand-Deliver 'The Vault' To Fans' Homes
January 4, 2018

Gene Simmons spoke to the "Hair Jordan" show on the KSHE 95 radio station about "Gene Simmons - The Vault Experience: 1966-2016", the comprehensive box set of his solo material that comes packaged in a safe. The set includes 150 previously unreleased songs spread over 10 discs, a leather-bound photo book, a Gene Simmons action figure, an "In Gene We Trust" gold medallion and a "surprise item."

Describing "The Vault" as "literally and physically the largest box set of all time," Simmons said that it stands "three feet tall" and "weighs 38 pounds. You need two arms to wrap around it and two arms to pick it up, 'cause it's over 38 pounds," he explained (hear audio below). "It has metal hardware, metal wheels. I'm really proud of it."

Simmons added the price is only $2000, and "there are only gonna be a few thousand made on Earth. After that, they will be gone and they will never be done again. It's not available in stores — no nothing. And I'm gonna be going around the world and hand-delivering it to the fans who buy it. Starting January 6 in Los Angeles, I'm gonna be hand-delivering the very first Gene Simmons Vaults."

According to Gene, he will "take a year off and literally travel around the world and hand-deliver the box set to whoever gets it. And the reason for that is… I'm really doing this for myself. Imagine you dreamed as a young kid you'd be a broadcaster and you finally get there and the people that allowed you to get there are the fans, right? The people who listen to you every day. So, because you're so enormously rich and powerful, what you wanna do is you wanna put on the biggest party of all time, but if you're the only person there, it's not much of a party. So my experience is, I'm on stage, but there's a separation between the stage and the fans; there are security guards and I can't get close to them. And when you go through a hotel lobby or some place, there's always a security guard who's keeping the folks away. So what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna change all that and I'm gonna go myself, pay for my own flights, hotels, security, insurance — I'll do that — and I'm gonna be going around the world, yeah, even to New Zealand, and hand-delivering the box sets. This starts in Los Angeles January 6th from 11 a.m. till 7 p.m., I'll be at the legendary Capitol studios. And the fans are gonna gather there. We're gonna have some alone time for quite a few hours."

"Gene Simmons - The Vault Experience: 1966-2016" spans the rocker's entire musical career, from 1966 to 2016, and includes the first song he ever wrote at the tender age of 14. There are tracks co-written with Bob Dylan, songs with Eddie and Alex Van Halen from VAN HALEN (a band he says he "discovered"), Joe Perry, and a slew of other luminaries.

Mescal

#179 Post by Mescal » Sat May 05, 2018 7:14 am

How's he going to hand deliver a few thousand of these vaults in only one year?

Pandemonium

#180 Post by Pandemonium » Sat May 05, 2018 8:19 am

Mescal wrote:How's he going to hand deliver a few thousand of these vaults in only one year?
He's been doing intimate get-togethers with small groups of fans in big cities although he's also gone to some individual fans homes, sometimes with other current or former members of KISS.

Mescal

#181 Post by Mescal » Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Mescal wrote:How's he going to hand deliver a few thousand of these vaults in only one year?
He's been doing intimate get-togethers with small groups of fans in big cities although he's also gone to some individual fans homes, sometimes with other current or former members of KISS.

Well, that's cool.

Great way to thank the fans.

Pandemonium

#182 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Guns n' Roses is doing a "warm up" show or whatever Saturday at the Hollywood Palladium leading into the 3,000th leg of their unending reunion/pension tour. Up until now, I haven't bothered to check out the tour, mostly because of over priced arena or stadium settings, plus, I've seen them numerous times through their glory years in '86-'93 and even one show in 2006 with Axl's band o' scabs that was actually pretty impressive (plus Izzy joined in for about 8 songs). So I kind of half-heartedly was checking out tickets this morning and shock of shocks, I managed to score one for the show so now I have something to do tomorrow night!

Mescal

#183 Post by Mescal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Great! Enjoy :rockon:

The band was great when I saw em last year. Axl was missing a few octaves though

intertwoven

#184 Post by intertwoven » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Honestly I'd probably consider them my favorite band these days. Appetite and UYI 1 & 2 get lots of play from me. Never saw 'em live, though.

Mescal

#185 Post by Mescal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 am

Yeah, might be nostalgia though... but I also think the albums have aged well.

Axl 's vocal delivery on afd is :yikes:

Locomotive is also a recent favourite