Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Mescal

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#181 Post by Mescal » Sun May 06, 2018 2:11 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Mescal wrote:How's he going to hand deliver a few thousand of these vaults in only one year?
He's been doing intimate get-togethers with small groups of fans in big cities although he's also gone to some individual fans homes, sometimes with other current or former members of KISS.

Well, that's cool.

Great way to thank the fans.

Pandemonium

#182 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Guns n' Roses is doing a "warm up" show or whatever Saturday at the Hollywood Palladium leading into the 3,000th leg of their unending reunion/pension tour. Up until now, I haven't bothered to check out the tour, mostly because of over priced arena or stadium settings, plus, I've seen them numerous times through their glory years in '86-'93 and even one show in 2006 with Axl's band o' scabs that was actually pretty impressive (plus Izzy joined in for about 8 songs). So I kind of half-heartedly was checking out tickets this morning and shock of shocks, I managed to score one for the show so now I have something to do tomorrow night!

Mescal

#183 Post by Mescal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Great! Enjoy :rockon:

The band was great when I saw em last year. Axl was missing a few octaves though

intertwoven

#184 Post by intertwoven » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Honestly I'd probably consider them my favorite band these days. Appetite and UYI 1 & 2 get lots of play from me. Never saw 'em live, though.

Mescal

#185 Post by Mescal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 am

Yeah, might be nostalgia though... but I also think the albums have aged well.

Axl 's vocal delivery on afd is :yikes:

Locomotive is also a recent favourite

Pandemonium

#186 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:30 am

So late this morning ....recovering from last night's show.

To give a bit of perspective, this was my 9th time seeing them, first being when they opened for The Lords Of The New Church back in early '86 at Fenders Ballroom, last being in 2006 during the Universal Amphitheater run when Izzy guested for a 3rd of the super long set. Since they reunited a few years ago, I've wanted to see them again but have been totally put off with the stadium/arena tour and the very Use Your Illusion era setlist.

Anyway, tonight's show was solid up through about 2/3rds of the 24 song set. The last 3rd dragged quite a bit mostly because of the pacing of the tunes included such as back to back covers of Wichita Lineman and an instrumental Wish You Were Here. I'm aware this was a mildly condensed version of the arena/stadium set but I have to say, if I paid good money to see this especially at a crappy stadium, I would have been bored much of the show and probably pissed afterwords. The set was mostly the usual AFD tunes, the key Illusion tunes, a few ChiDem songs, ("Better" kills live), a Velvet Revolver song (Slither), and the usual covers such as Duff doing "Attitude." Probably the deepest GnR cut they played was "Coma."

I got to the Palladium and parked just before 8pm when they were just about to start letting people in. The line which apparently started early in the morning wrapped almost completely around the block the Palladium and it's parking lot is on and it took almost exactly an hour to get in. I saw only one guy selling a few hard tickets for about $300+ each. I didn't hear anything about a ticket drop earlier in the afternoon.

Once inside, the place filled up really quick and by about 10pm, people were starting to get restless. There were a *lot* of trashed people stumbling around, puking in the restroom well before the show started. Lotta 2nd Gen not-so-good-looking millennials dressing like it's 1988. Close to 10:30, band came on and launched into It's So Easy and the crowd was into it and the band and Axl sounded pretty impressive. Slash especially sounded awesome. Fortus was often so low in the mix it sounded at times like a one guitarist band. I noticed the keyboard chick was really helping on backup vox when Axl was hitting higher notes.

What quickly became a weird distraction was *every* instrumental break, guitar solo, etc, Axl would duck off stage into this little black tent on the side of the stage. Often, he'd come out in a new shirt or a hat or whatever. I think he changed clothes more than Stevie Nicks w/Fleetwood Mac. I get sometimes a singer might feel awkward or want the band to have the spotlight but in this case it seemed like Axl wanted minimal involvement on stage if he wasn't needed to actually sing. I dunno, maybe he has a weak bladder or needs to hit the oxygen tank. Vocally, I thought he was pretty decent, certainly not the range of the good ol' days but I've heard worse. I have to say, I haven't been paying much attention to his health or appearance since the very beginning of the tour a few years back so I was a bit shocked that he's become such a chunky monkey. Anyway, at least he didn't utterly suck singing like a David Lee Roth or (cue douche chills) Vince Neil.

The major thing that made this a good show was the relatively intimate setting (the Palladium) and the band itself. I've never been disappointed musically by whatever lineup Axl has surrounded himself with, hell I thought the 12/19/06 show with Bumblefoot and Scabs was actually better performed than the bloated '92 UYI tour LA Coliseum show I saw. I think the late start, the instrumental breaks, the slow and unfamiliar tunes especially after Sweet Child Of Mine took a bit of wind out of the show. People were streaming out after SCOM and the back of the floor thinned out considerably for the last half hour of the show.

Still a good show but it certainly scratched the itch to see them one more time.

Artemis

#187 Post by Artemis » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Awesome review as always, Panda! :cool:

The last time I saw GNR was in 2002( I think) when Buckethead was in the band.

Bandit72

#188 Post by Bandit72 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 am

I saw them in london 2017. One of the best stadium gigs I've ever been too.

creep
Site Admin

#189 Post by creep » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:34 pm

why do the vocals like this?

i don't get it

Hokahey
Site Admin

#190 Post by Hokahey » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:01 pm

creep wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:34 pm

i don't get it

I THINK it's supposed to be Sex Pistols-ish

intertwoven

#191 Post by intertwoven » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:49 pm

In time, Chinese Democracy will be regarded as an untouchable classic.

Matz

#192 Post by Matz » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:59 am

it's actually a bit better on second listen ...wtf :confused: :scared: :yikes:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#193 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:53 am

intertwoven wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:49 pm
I promise that will never happen. And I like Chinese Democracy.

For one, it's nowhere near that good. It sounds like what it is. Axl sniffing a jar of his own farts, trying to sound contemporary, with no one to tell him no.

For two, no one will ever care enough to reconsider it.

Mescal

#194 Post by Mescal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:46 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:01 pm
creep wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:34 pm

i don't get it

I THINK it's supposed to be Sex Pistols-ish
I've read that before in the comments. Just because he's singing in a queens English kinda way it doesn't make it Sex Pistols-ish.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like Axl. I like the melody but there's too much effects and autotune going on to be punkish.

It's like Prodigy meets GnR.

Apparently it is a rework of a Chinese democracy outtake. Made me think of what JA did with Suffer Some. Must be that they're not really overflowing with ideas or really working together.

So, don't really hate it but definitely don't love it. Doesn't give me the same feeling like when I heard you could be mine for the first time.

If they make a new album, I think it will be meh

Mescal

#195 Post by Mescal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:47 pm

intertwoven wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:49 pm
No it won't

Hokahey
Site Admin

#196 Post by Hokahey » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:44 pm

Mescal wrote: I've read that before in the comments. Just because he's singing in a queens English kinda way it doesn't make it Sex Pistols-ish.
It actually really, really does. :lol: The vocals at least. That's clearly what he's going for.
I like the melody but there's too much effects and autotune going on to be punkish.
I don't think anyone is suggesting the music is punkish

Mescal

#197 Post by Mescal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:32 pm

Hokahey wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:44 pm
Mescal wrote: I've read that before in the comments. Just because he's singing in a queens English kinda way it doesn't make it Sex Pistols-ish.
It actually really, really does. :lol: The vocals at least. That's clearly what he's going for.
I like the melody but there's too much effects and autotune going on to be punkish.
Well aren't the Sex Pistols more or less credited for having started the punk movement? :noclue:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#198 Post by Hokahey » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:06 am

Mescal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:32 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Well aren't the Sex Pistols more or less credited for having started the punk movement? :noclue:
Vocals and music are two different things. I could sing like Johnny Rotten to a Whitney Houston song if I wanted to.

kv

#199 Post by kv » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:59 pm

Mescal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:32 pm
Hokahey wrote:
Ya by people who didn't know what was already happening in the USA

Everybody's Friend

#200 Post by Everybody's Friend » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:26 pm

Put on a good show in Missoula.

Same exact setlist as 2016, but a smaller venue so that was worth the ticket price.

New song was lackluster, but allowed fans time to jump back into the beer line. ;)

SR

#201 Post by SR » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:35 pm

Did you catch wolfgang's set?

Everybody's Friend

#202 Post by Everybody's Friend » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:53 pm

No, found out at the venue that someone in Wolfgang's band (or team) tested positive for Covid so there was no opener.... :/

Hokahey
Site Admin

#203 Post by Hokahey » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm

Everybody's Friend wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:26 pm
Put on a good show in Missoula.

Same exact setlist as 2016, but a smaller venue so that was worth the ticket price.

New song was lackluster, but allowed fans time to jump back into the beer line. ;)
I have tickets for the Indy show but am hesitant. I'm vaccinated but I've had several friends with really nasty breakthrough infections. My youngest son isn't old enough to be vaccinated. I don't want to get him sick.

Was it a packed house? I keep wondering if there are enough empty seats in the nosebleeds to avoid getting breathed on.

Everybody's Friend

#204 Post by Everybody's Friend » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:54 am

There was definitely room in the nosebleeds, felt pretty spacious there.

The masses of unwashed humanity in the stadium walkways were pretty intense though. I haven't been that crammed in for a long while....that felt pretty gross. If you got there early and left late though, I found the seating was comfortable (at least in MN, not sure how full IL would be)?

Matz

#205 Post by Matz » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:09 pm

why go? you wouldn't have gone a couple of years back would you? well, stupid question I guess, only one answer: Slash is back and you love him. Can't believe that GNR can now play stadiums for years because that guy is back, fuckin dumb, it doesnt really make that big of a difference in their sound does it