Guns N' Roses reunion??

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Mescal

Re: Guns N' Roses reunion??

#81 Post by Mescal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am

blackula wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Ugh...another band that needs to stop. Ideally, the only way Alice In Chains should have continued following Layne's death was by not finding a new vocalist. It would have been far more tasteful if Jerry had just sang all the new songs, making the band a three piece.

Not sure if you noticed, but Jerry's vocals were higher in the mix than William's on Black Gives Way To Blue.

So in essence, he did exactly what you wanted him to do.

But the fact of the matter is, Alice in Chains signature sounds comes from two vocalists harmonizing. They still need a frontman. And William was the perfect choice because there is nothing more opposite than being a Layne Staley clone as a black guy with an afro that sings in a higher register.

William's vocals really weren't given center stage till the follow up album, at which point he had been in the band for damn near 10 years.

I think if any band DID approach the replacement of their original singer, AIC would certainly be a candidate for "the proper way to do it"
I don't want to derail this 60% Guns n Roses reunion thread, but Alice in Chains is an absolute joke. Jerry Cantrell went solo with the dude from Faith No More on drums, played AIC songs and nobody gave a shit so he dug out the name, the drummer and the replacement bass player. Most lyrics are about Layne's addiction, how do you recreate that live? It's fake. I'd actually prefer if they went The Germs route and got an actor to look and sound like Layne.

This is like if Perry OD'd in 1996 and Jane's came back 5 years later with Linda Perry or Corey Glover singing.
Considering what we know now, that wouldn't have been so bad

JOEinPHX

#82 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:47 am

blackula wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Ugh...another band that needs to stop. Ideally, the only way Alice In Chains should have continued following Layne's death was by not finding a new vocalist. It would have been far more tasteful if Jerry had just sang all the new songs, making the band a three piece.

Not sure if you noticed, but Jerry's vocals were higher in the mix than William's on Black Gives Way To Blue.

So in essence, he did exactly what you wanted him to do.

But the fact of the matter is, Alice in Chains signature sounds comes from two vocalists harmonizing. They still need a frontman. And William was the perfect choice because there is nothing more opposite than being a Layne Staley clone as a black guy with an afro that sings in a higher register.

William's vocals really weren't given center stage till the follow up album, at which point he had been in the band for damn near 10 years.

I think if any band DID approach the replacement of their original singer, AIC would certainly be a candidate for "the proper way to do it"
I don't want to derail this 60% Guns n Roses reunion thread, but Alice in Chains is an absolute joke. Jerry Cantrell went solo with the dude from Faith No More on drums, played AIC songs and nobody gave a shit so he dug out the name, the drummer and the replacement bass player. Most lyrics are about Layne's addiction, how do you recreate that live? It's fake. I'd actually prefer if they went The Germs route and got an actor to look and sound like Layne.

This is like if Perry OD'd in 1996 and Jane's came back 5 years later with Linda Perry or Corey Glover singing.
I saw Jerry Cantrell's solo tour. They only did 4 AIC songs.

The band only reactivated when they were asked to do a tribute to Layne. Maynard sang. Some other dude did too. And so did William. And do you know why William sang with them at the tribute? Because he was the second guitar player in Cantrell's solo band and those were the songs he took the lead on during the solo tour.

After the tribute, THEN they decided to record a new album. Then they went on tour.

Nothing happened the way you say it did. It all happened pretty naturally.

So if we have to come up with a metaphor, it would be more like Perry dying and then Dave asking Dave Kushner to sing for Jane's Addiction a decade later.

nausearockpig

#83 Post by nausearockpig » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:46 pm

What i don't get is why Axl and co don't seem to understand that bringing back the original lineup would be like owning a money making machine. More so than this quasi-original version they're gonna flog. Morons.

Mescal

#84 Post by Mescal » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:49 pm

Yeah well, Axl's crazy, so no surprises there.

JOEinPHX

#85 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm

nausearockpig wrote:What i don't get is why Axl and co don't seem to understand that bringing back the original lineup would be like owning a money making machine. More so than this quasi-original version they're gonna flog. Morons.
I don't think they would get much more to have Adler on board. I don't think Izzy is a big deal either.

Axl is Axl. He's legendary.

And Slash is huge just for being Slash.

It's the combo of the 2 that people will pay for.

If Axl can make 200 million touring with Slash and guys he likes, or 210 million to bring Adler along and have to deal with his bullshit, I'm sure he'd rather take the slight pay cut to not have to worry about his drummer falling off the wagon for the 700th time.

nausearockpig

#86 Post by nausearockpig » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:What i don't get is why Axl and co don't seem to understand that bringing back the original lineup would be like owning a money making machine. More so than this quasi-original version they're gonna flog. Morons.
I don't think they would get much more to have Adler on board. I don't think Izzy is a big deal either.

If Axl can make 200 million touring with Slash and guys he likes, or 210 million to bring Adler along and have to deal with his bullshit, I'm sure he'd rather take the slight pay cut to not have to worry about his drummer falling off the wagon for the 700th time.
yeah I'm sure the Axl - Slash combo is what most people really care about... just seems like he's not fully cashing in.. whatever, I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it all up somehow...

Mescal

#87 Post by Mescal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:30 pm

nausearockpig wrote:
Six7Six7 wrote:

yeah I'm sure the Axl - Slash combo is what most people really care about... just seems like he's not fully cashing in.. whatever, I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it all up somehow...
Yeah, just wait for the new songs

Pandemonium

#88 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:28 pm

It looks like a "surprise" club show in Hollywood at either The Troubador or more likely, The Whiskey will happen Friday April Fool's day (how appropriate) which is supposed to coincide with the officlal announcement of at least the North American Summer tour. There's also some overseas dates being booked with The Cult already confirmed to open for them at a few shows. There seems to be an unbelievable amount of interest among locals to see this club show tomorrow night where ever if/it actually happens.

SR

#89 Post by SR » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:33 pm

I completely understand that excitement. Would love to see it in person.

Artemis

#90 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:33 pm

A club show would be cool. For sure I'd try to get tickets if I lived in the area.

Pandemonium

#91 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Artemis wrote:A club show would be cool. For sure I'd try to get tickets if I lived in the area.
It will be pretty insane at whichever clubs this happens at tomorrow if this pans out. On the level of when The Rolling Stones played The Echoplex a few years ago. It'll generate a lot of free press for the tour and you know there will be eleventy billion knuckleheads trying to get in. It's probably going to be similar to Jane's first few surprise LA club shows when they got back with Eric (except on an infinitely bigger level) in that's it's free or extremely cheap pay at the door and it's first come, first in. Personally, I have zero hunger to see these guys do the same old burned out songs one more time.

Artemis

#92 Post by Artemis » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
Artemis wrote:A club show would be cool. For sure I'd try to get tickets if I lived in the area.
It will be pretty insane at whichever clubs this happens at tomorrow if this pans out. On the level of when The Rolling Stones played The Echoplex a few years ago. It'll generate a lot of free press for the tour and you know there will be eleventy billion knuckleheads trying to get in. It's probably going to be similar to Jane's first few surprise LA club shows when they got back with Eric (except on an infinitely bigger level) in that's it's free or extremely cheap pay at the door and it's first come, first in. Personally, I have zero hunger to see these guys do the same old burned out songs one more time.
Well, if it's a pay at the door and wait in line for 10 hours to get in, I would not bother.

SR

#93 Post by SR » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:59 pm

Fucking love AFD! So many reasons this would be fun....even if they crashed and burned, if they killed it, if Axl flips, if Slash still keeps his calm, to see Duff play peacemaker....or simply see how they have stood up to time with this gem (which has, imo).

Pandemonium

#94 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:51 am

It's happening today. They're doing a press conference in the parking lot of the old Tower Records store on Sunset around 5pm and playing the Troubadour tonight. This is what the marquee says at the Troubadour this morning....

SR

#95 Post by SR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 am

Holloway and Sunset....know it well. :rockon:

elportosurfer9

#96 Post by elportosurfer9 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:31 am

250 tickets for ten bucks each to see Guns at the troubadour! :rockon: :rockon:

kv

#97 Post by kv » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 pm

SR wrote:Holloway and Sunset....know it well. :rockon:
i had posted saying it's on santa monica and doheny...then clued in your meant the tower...ya gawd damn did i spend a shit ton of money and time in that place

SR

#98 Post by SR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:12 pm

:lol: yeah as most music freaks did....

As for the troob, dinner at Dan tanas then the show would make for a great evening....if white trash can show up on time.

SR

#99 Post by SR » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Is Sorum drumming on this?

Juana

#100 Post by Juana » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:44 am

SR wrote:Is Sorum drumming on this?
No, but ole Popcorn Adler will be there so I think he is playing on a few songs. Will Izzy show up is what I wonder.

SR

#101 Post by SR » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:50 am

Juana wrote:
SR wrote:Is Sorum drumming on this?
No, but ole Popcorn Adler will be there so I think he is playing on a few songs. Will Izzy show up is what I wonder.
Stephen? Wow. I just saw a clip on RS.....it looked pretty bad/uninspired/Axlfat

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z44eSUNHOO

Matz

#102 Post by Matz » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 am

Night trainwreck

I could have told you that

Larry B.

#103 Post by Larry B. » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:04 am

Aside from fat Axl and Slash looking a bit bored I thought it sounded pretty tight. Axl's voice surprised me, we'll see if it devolves as the weeks go by. I'm not a fan of Guns N' Roses, but based on this clip alone I wouldn't mind going to see them.

Pandemonium

#104 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:44 am

It looked like a fun show and the reviews I've read on other forums seem to be mostly positive but there also seems to be the expected downsides with this thing, that is not the complete original line-up (no Steven Adler, no Izzy), the band has the drummer, 2nd guitarist and longtime keyboard player Dizzy Reed left over from the last few incarnations as well as a new 2nd female keyboard player. Axl isn't the same frontman he was in their prime, his voice sounded like it started to go by the encore and I guess he fell off a monitor and landed on his ass the 2nd song. I expect the upcoming tour to be the same thing Axl has been doing with his own version of GnR the past 15 years which holds little interest for me.

SR

#105 Post by SR » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:53 am

and an LA Weekly glowing review and set-list

http://www.laweekly.com/music/heres-wha ... ur-6784478.