LULU (Metallica + Lou Reed)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

LULU (Metallica + Lou Reed)

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, this looks to be a gigantic letdown:

guysmiley

Re: LULU (Metallica + Lou Reed)

#2 Post by guysmiley » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow, it sounds like it was literally a DJ cutting and pasting Lou Reed and Metallica together. I didn't imagine this sounding right.

Matz

#3 Post by Matz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:12 am

I actually think it sounds kind of promising even though Lou is a litle off rhythmically in this bit, cool riffs

Larry B.

#4 Post by Larry B. » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 am

shit, that was terrible.

Xizen47

#5 Post by Xizen47 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 am

Larry B. wrote:shit, that was terrible.

Tyler Durden

#6 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:59 am

Like ice cream topped with ketchup.

Pandemonium

#7 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 am

guysmiley wrote:Wow, it sounds like it was literally a DJ cutting and pasting Lou Reed and Metallica together. I didn't imagine this sounding right.
I initially had some degree of interest in this just because it was such a weird pairing. Ideally, I wanted to hope it would take Reed and Metallica to different places musically in some sort of unique bridge between the two. But really, it sounds like St Anger Metallica out-takes with Reed rambling over them - it's pretty fucking awful. Hopefully something better lurks on this album but this clip doesn't make me want to buy or even listen to the album.

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:01 am

I'm not a Metallica fan...but judging by this video, they seem like nice, down to earth guys. I could see Dave and Stephen being like this with fans...but God forbid Perry have to mingle with the common people.

MYXYLPLYX

#9 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 am

Tyler Durden wrote:I'm not a Metallica fan...but judging by this video, they seem like nice, down to earth guys. I could see Dave and Stephen being like this with fans...but God forbid Perry have to mingle with the common people.

I've actually been working with them for the past couple months and I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice everyone has been... :bigrin:

Pandemonium

#10 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 pm

MYXYLPLYX wrote:I've actually been working with them for the past couple months and I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice everyone has been... :bigrin:
They've always been a pretty fan-friendly band and once they had to get through the Napster backlash and all the fan hatred of their awful "St Anger" album, they seem to have redoubled their efforts to be even more fan-friendly. Their doing a series of shows with surprise guests, blah, blah, blah in San Francisco at the Fillmore in December for their fanclub priced at something outrageous like $6 a ticket or $20 for all 4 shows. I assume you're working these shows?

MYXYLPLYX

#11 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
MYXYLPLYX wrote:I've actually been working with them for the past couple months and I have been pleasantly surprised by how nice everyone has been... :bigrin:
They've always been a pretty fan-friendly band and once they had to get through the Napster backlash and all the fan hatred of their awful "St Anger" album, they seem to have redoubled their efforts to be even more fan-friendly. Their doing a series of shows with surprise guests, blah, blah, blah in San Francisco at the Fillmore in December for their fanclub priced at something outrageous like $6 a ticket or $20 for all 4 shows. I assume you're working these shows?
That's the plan, but this time working for the band directly and not the promoter. It is a significant difference, and as this is pretty much my first time working directly for a band it is an interesting change of perspective. So far, I've really nothing but positive experiences and hope there's a real chance for something long term, which they've brought up.

So, in no small measure because of that, I'll be playing this one pretty close to the vest... :thumb:

Juana

#12 Post by Juana » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Nice hopefully it works out for you. And I don't know the Lulu could be decent.

Xizen47

#13 Post by Xizen47 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:22 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote: So far, I've really nothing but positive experiences and hope there's a real chance for something long term, which they've brought up.

So, in no small measure because of that, I'll be playing this one pretty close to the vest... :thumb:
I hope you can get in with them :wave: ! A good friend of mine has been working for them for the last 5 or 6 years (I believe he's James personal assistant, not sure though ). He loves it, says the band has got nothing but love for each other nowadays. Funny cause he was hesitant to take the job at first, after watching Some Kind of Moster, he had no idea what kind of situation he was getting himself into

Juana

#14 Post by Juana » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am

Well you think about it they have been a band for 30+ years so there was bound to be some ups and downs in there. Ironically they keep losing bass players too...

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:59 am

You can listen to the full song ("The View") here:

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-lou-r ... ign=092711

Sounds pretty silly.

cursed male

#16 Post by cursed male » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:52 am

Tyler Durden wrote:I'm not a Metallica fan...but judging by this video, they seem like nice, down to earth guys. I could see Dave and Stephen being like this with fans...but God forbid Perry have to mingle with the common people.

Guess that would depend on how plain common the common people would be...

Matz

#17 Post by Matz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:48 am

Tyler Durden wrote:You can listen to the full song ("The View") here:

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-lou-r ... ign=092711

Sounds pretty silly.
I think Metallica holds up their end all right, decent riffs etc, but Lou, wtf is up with his flow or sense of rhythm? A litle hard to believe that this is the same guy that wrote Berlin

thoreau

#18 Post by thoreau » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:02 am

They're streaming the entire album now:

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/listen-to-lulu.php

Not going to give an opinion before I listen through the entire album, but I can already tell some people are going think this is shit.

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 am

They should have made a record with Iggy instead. :rockon:

Jasper

#20 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 am

Juana wrote:They should have made a record with Iggy instead. :rockon:
:jasper:

Lou with Iggy, maybe. At least they've got a legitimate connection.

Anyways, I actually found a kickass track from this album (or what is apparently a remix or demo of a track from the album). Unsurprisingly, it sounds nothing like Metallica, but very much like VU with really clean drums.

NYRexall

#21 Post by NYRexall » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:14 am

"The View" currently has three times as many "dislikes" as it does "likes" on Youtube.

It's no wonder, because the song is wretched.

The idiots who post regularly on the Blabbermouth forums are having a field day, and for once, I can't really blame them.

One review I read stated" "Metallica have already been given the best seat in the house at the Last Chance Saloon, and people are now putting in final orders."

Ouch. This might be the, ahem, shortest straw...

MYXYLPLYX

#22 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:33 am

:lol:

Nah, Metallica will be just fine. They are still able to sell out arenas just about anywhere they might want to play.

I honestly don't know why they are getting the brunt of the criticism for this project? It's not a Metallica album, it's a Lou Reed/Metallica collaboration...

Anyways, if anyone is anxiously anticipating the demise of Metallica I think you've still got a bit to wait yet. :noclue:

Juana

#23 Post by Juana » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:48 pm

Yeah if anything so far it was Lou who didn't bring it on this project.

As for Metallica yep they can sell out anywhere, anytime. They have NOTHING to worry about.

NYRexall

#24 Post by NYRexall » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:44 am

So has anyone ventured to hear this yet?

I have it, and it is truly fucking HORRIBLE.

Seldom do I agree when the "worst album of the year/decade/all time" tag gets referenced, but this is the exception: it REALLY IS as bad as they're making it out to be.

Lou has absolutely no rhythm or tone to his vocals, and his lyrics are rambling and ridiculous, at best. Metallica turn in music that sounds like Load-era b-side jams. Calling this avant -garde would be praising this shit as "album of the year". There's a song called "Little Dog" that's eight minutes of guitar drone with Lou Reed mumbling nonsensically about a homeless dog, or something.

This album manages the uber-rare feat of making me never want to hear it again, while at the same time making me want to hear it again just to convince myself it really sounds as fucking horrible as it did the first time I suffered through it. It's also the only album I've ever heard that defies the laws of gravity by managing to both blow and suck at the exact same time.

Truly, a milestone for all involved. In the worst sense of the word.

Embarrassing. Utterly embarrassing. Don't waste your time, because that's all you'll be doing.

Matz

#25 Post by Matz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:22 am

NYRexall wrote: Lou has absolutely no rhythm or tone to his vocals
that's what's most puzzling to me. How the fuck is this the same guy that wrote Berlin? I wonder what the Metallica guys thinks about this album if they're really being honest..