Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
SR

Re: AMC: Breaking Bad

#401 Post by SR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Adurentibus Spina wrote:
And btw, what do * mean when bracketing a word?
It means I'm too lazy to put [ b ] around [ / b ] the word.
Still don't get it

Hype

#402 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:
And btw, what do * mean when bracketing a word?
It means I'm too lazy to put [ b ] around [ / b ] the word.
Still don't get it
It means I'm emphasizing the word, as one might by making it bold.

Some Google products automatically convert *text* to bolded text, so I think it's a generally accepted convention that *s around a word means they're intended as if bold.

creep
Site Admin

#403 Post by creep » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm

i don't go for the theory but it is interesting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/was-the- ... walter-whi

Jasper

#404 Post by Jasper » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:18 pm

creep wrote:i don't go for the theory but it is interesting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/was-the- ... walter-whi
Yeah, interesting, but I don't buy it.

Here's an obituary which was placed in a local Albuquerque paper.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/4/48024 ... -newspaper

In other news, Walt Junior's Save Walter White site is still up. :lol:
http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

guysmiley

#405 Post by guysmiley » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Jasper

#406 Post by Jasper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Letter from Anthony Hopkins...
Dear Mister Cranston. I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA. Great agency.I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “Breaking Bad” — from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bulls— in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over-used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to — would you pass on my admiration to everyone — Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada — everyone — everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.

Juana

#407 Post by Juana » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:50 am

is there a link for that?

nausearockpig

#408 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 am

Juana wrote:is there a link for that?

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars ... fan-letter

Matz

#409 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:30 am

Jasper wrote:Image
Letter from Anthony Hopkins...
Dear Mister Cranston. I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA. Great agency.I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “Breaking Bad” — from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bulls— in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over-used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to — would you pass on my admiration to everyone — Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada — everyone — everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.
well that must feel pretty good for Cranston, as good if not better than an emmy.

Hype

#410 Post by Hype » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 am

SR

#411 Post by SR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:45 am

nausearockpig wrote:

Very slow clap.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#412 Post by Hokahey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Just read that on another forum.

He really was amazing, and became a better actor as the show wore on. One of the rare shows (or any serial works of art) that got better and better and then ended at it's apex.

nausearockpig

#413 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm

SR wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:

Very slow clap.
Oh you, stop it now. It wasn't that hard to find... :lolol:

SR

#414 Post by SR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm

:noclue: I was referring to Tony's compliment. I'm rarely sarcastic here at anyone's expense. :tiphat:

nausearockpig

#415 Post by nausearockpig » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:29 pm

SR wrote::noclue: I was referring to Tony's compliment. I'm rarely sarcastic here at anyone's expense. :tiphat:
Nah I know. I was making a joke(albeit a poor one). It's this damn Internet, it makes it very hard to get some tones across.

Matz

#416 Post by Matz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 pm

SR wrote::noclue: I was referring to Tony's compliment. I'm rarely sarcastic here at anyone's expense. :tiphat:
what's the problem with his comment, I don't understand? You think it's too much?

SR

#417 Post by SR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:06 pm

No. A sincere slow clap

Artemis

#418 Post by Artemis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Since Anthony Hopkins was mentioned in this thread, I feel I must name drop and tell you all that I served Anthony Hopkins coffee once.
This was in 89 or 90 when I was living in London. I was working at The Inter-Continental Hotel as a waitress and Anthony Hopkins was a guest there during the run of the stage production of M Butterfly. When he was first seated in my section, I thought he looked familiar and remarked to my manager, "the guy sitting over there reading the paper really looks like Anthony Hopkins." She laughed and said "That's because it IS Anthony Hopkins!" :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Butterfly

SR

#419 Post by SR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:20 pm

He ate at a restaurant I managed often. He was humble, sincere and perfectly charming.

Jasper

#420 Post by Jasper » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Breaking Bad Spinoff Better Call Saul May Be a Sequel/Prequel Hybrid

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/ ... uel-hybrid

by Roth Cornet
November 5, 2013

Warning: Slight mention of where the Saul Goodman character goes at the conclusion of Breaking Bad.

Fans began speculating about a Breaking Bad spinoff well before the final eight episodes of the chemistry-teacher-turned-meth-king series aired. When AMC and Sony officially announced plans for a Saul Goodman-focused spinoff series, the big questions became: Will we see Saul post or pre-Breaking Bad finale?

We know that "Saul Goodman" is not even the character's real name, but rather a persona he created, much like Heisenberg was for Walter White. So when it was revealed that this was going to be developed as a prequel series, it seemed likely that the show would explore how this ambulance chasing lawyer became the "Saul Goodman" we came to know and love.

By the conclusion of Breaking Bad, Saul pulls the trigger and calls upon "the extractor" aka Ed, the vacuum cleaner repairman, to create a new identity for him so that he can escape all those hunting him. Ed sets him up with a new identity and life in Nebraska, where, "Best case scenario, he's managing a Cinnabon in Omaha." We don't think he'd be content with customer service and delicious sweet buns for long, though.

We recently had the opportunity to sit down with Better Call Saul himself, Bob Odenkirk, at the press day for Alexander Payne's upcoming family dramedy, coincidentally entitled, Nebraska. While there, we asked him about the possibility that we may see Goodman's life on the run as well as his past. We also touch on some of the actor's his hopes for the series and what we can expect in terms of the balance of drama and comedy.

IGN: Now we know that another character of yours ends up in Nebraska - Mr. Saul Goodman. We’ve all been speculating about the series, and I was wondering if you thought it would be interesting if, within this prequel, there were some flash-forwards to where Saul is post-Breaking Bad on the lam in Nebraska – that life?

Bob Odenkirk: Well, I’ve talked to Vince [Gilligan] and Peter [Gould], who are writing and creating the series, about this and I’ve said that a lot of people do want to see what happens to next to Saul. So, I don’t know what they’re going to do. I know they’ve talked about prequel, but they’ve also talked to me about sequel, and they’ve also talked to me about a mix of prequel and sequel.

IGN: That would be absolutely fascinating, because I’m sure you guys have talked about the mix being seeing him in Nebraska and then seeing him before he became this character of “Saul Goodman” – and why.

Odenkirk: Yeah, yeah.

IGN: Is that something you guys have already talked about, how your character became “Saul Goodman” – did you talk about that during Breaking Bad?

Odenkirk: We didn’t talk about it. Vince has thought about it. Vince and Peter have thought about it a lot and they’re curious about it.

IGN: I know this wouldn’t necessarily match what happens in the series, but did you, for just your own purposes as an actor, create a backstory for Saul?

Odenkirk: Yeah, I wouldn’t go into too much detail, because I don’t want to influence Vince at all in his efforts. I’m approaching this the way I approached Breaking Bad, which is, ‘Vince, you write it and then you hand it to me and I will figure out my part.’ And I will not try to own the universe, or tell you what happens, or dictate anything. I will do the job of an actor, which is take the script, study it, think about it, feel it and ask myself, ‘Who is this person is and how do I be him?’ It’s been incredibly freeing to do that. You know my resume. You know I’ve directed, produced, and written. And when you do all of those things, acting is a lot less fun and you have a lot less energy and focus as an actor because you’re thinking of all the things revolving around the character, rather than just playing the role.

IGN: When will you know the exact direction they’re taking for the series? When will you start to get the first scripts?

Odenkirk: Well, supposedly the writers are starting up in two or three weeks, so they’re trying to get that ready.

IGN: It’s been said that Better Call Saul will be more of a 70% comedy, 30% drama mix, which is sort of the reverse formula of Breaking Bad. Is that exciting for you?

Odenkirk: I don’t think that’s what it’s going to be. It’s going to be 70% drama and 30% comedy.

IGN: One of the interesting things that Joss Whedon said when he was talking about developing Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was that he wanted to be sparing about how often they brought in characters from the Marvel cinematic universe, because he didn’t want the show to be about when the viewer got to see the next cameo. He wanted it to be its own entity. I know that Vince Gilligan has said there may be some Breaking Bad cameos in Better Call Saul, but it feels like a similar situation where you want to be kind of sparing with it, so that this show can have its own life.

Odenkirk: Oh my God, I told Peter and Vince, right away I said, ‘Look man, let us make this fresh for everyone.’ So that right away, in the first five minutes, every viewer goes, ‘Oh, this isn’t Breaking Bad, this is its own thing.’ And I think they feel the same exact way. There might be a cameo here or there, but I don’t know. We’re going to do a new show.

kv

#421 Post by kv » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:02 am

ah i was hoping prequel

SR

#422 Post by SR » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Jasper

#423 Post by Jasper » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Holy shit. :lol:

intertwoven

#424 Post by intertwoven » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:02 pm

That's perfect. I always suspected that's what was going on.

creep
Site Admin

#425 Post by creep » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 am

i dvr'd the whole series last week and have been watching it again and fast forwarding all of the walt-skyler and hank-marie scenes and it is so much better.

i also have the walking dead series on the dvr and am about to start that for the first time.