Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Jasper

Re: AMC: Breaking Bad

#41 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 pm

That was awesome.

Spoiler time starting now...

Walt's not evil, he's situationally amoral. He had his back against the wall, and he gets devious at such times. He must have had a pretty good idea that the kid wouldn't die from however the fuck he managed to administer that poison. It gives extra meaning to Walt's extremely relieved reaction when Jesse tells him that the kid will pull through. Walt must have snatched Jesse's ricin cigarette too, the clever bastard.

Next season? Well...there's still going to be Hank digging around, because he's going to need to make sense of all of it. Walt can be placed at the nursing home. He can be placed at the laundry too. Walt's remission could reverse, and I think he's pretty much lost most of his money by now. He needs money almost like he's starting from scratch. Then there's Mike - how can you have a character like Mike and then just have him fade out of the story without another mention? So, there's plenty of ammo for plot-lines.

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Jasper wrote:
Walt's not evil, he's situationally amoral.
i don't know...what about watching jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit? i watched some interview and the original script had walt shooting her up with a lethal dose of heroin. what about sending his neighbor in to check his house without any regard to her safety? his first choice seems to be murder now for dealing with problems. i want him to be a good guy but he's just not. the guy is probably responsible for over ten deaths.

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
i don't know...what about watching jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit? i watched some interview and the original script had walt shooting her up with a lethal dose of heroin. what about sending his neighbor in to check his house without any regard to her safety? his first choice seems to be murder now for dealing with problems. i want him to be a good guy but he's just not. the guy is probably responsible for over ten deaths.
10? :lol: The airplane collision is but one of the results of Walt's decision to play god. Jane was probably my favorite character on the show, but the idea was that Jesse and Jane were both going to be dead very soon, so Walt made the decision to save Jesse. It's not like it was something he wanted to do. Walt never even saw anything but the worst of her either. She blackmailed him into giving over money that he was keeping specifically to protect Jesse. Jesse and Jane and all that money were not long for this world, no matter what their intentions were. :noclue: Believe me, I was not happy with Walt when Jane died, but I understood the logic behind his extreme decision.

As for tonight, yeah, he sent the neighbor in there, and it was obviously a big risk, but I doubt those guys were going to just shoot anybody who went in there. The DEA or any number of intrusions were likely to occur. Gus's guys were always pretty professional. I think he got just what he was hoping for - that she'd disturb them so they'd become visible. Yeah, the visibility could have resulted from them shooting her, but then they'd most likely have had to flee, and go back and explain to Gus that they didn't get Walt because they shot some old lady. I'm sure that would have gone over well.

I'm not arguing that Walt's a good guy or a hero, I'm just saying he's willing to go a little further and risk other people to protect his ass and the asses of the people he cares about, at times when the stakes are extreme. I mean, he could have killed Jesse, it would have been really easy, and I think that's exactly what he would have done if he was evil. That's why he's only...situationally amoral. :hehe:

jptm

#44 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

total chess game move by walt; plain & simple... he figured it out and made it happen. brilliant, really. what was funny tonight was that i started watching the stream and i was watching the chatboard and those fuckers called it early... re:bomb, bell... the wholw deal. so, it wasn't that hard to figure out... next season....? walt gets his cancer back... but somehow they'll start making meth again.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... es/?src=tp

jptm

#45 Post by jptm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 am

ellis

#46 Post by ellis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:50 am

jptm wrote: see? there was no big cliffhanger; i was right---you could've ended the whole show w/this ep.
That was the intention. The writer Vince Gilligan admitted to it, saying that the negotiations with AMC were hairy and they had to write season 4 as if it were the final season, just in case the negotiations for season 5 failed. Vince said if the season had ended with season 4, he was content with the entire story. Walt had completely transformed to Heisenberg at this point. The scene where he spoke to Skylar on the phone and said, "I won." was not Walt beating Gus. It was Heisenberg taking over Walt.
i agree w/creep--what ARE they gonna do for the next season? start making meth again to pay all the follow-up bullshit? blackmail? hank follows up and suspects walt? ..... anyhow, i was right about the cliffhanger deal, and proud of it.
Well, there's a number of ways they can go about season 5...
Before I list the possible plot lines, let's review.

1. Mike is still in Mexico recovering. He's one powerful dude in this whole game even though he "seems" to have been working only for Gus. Yet he has operated as a middle man between Gus and Mexico. I believe someone in Mexico is still involved.
2. Hank and DEA are not necessarily done with Gus' massive operation. There's still the issue of the supplier of all the equipment whom I believe may be a bigger player in this business than the audience realizes.
3. Gus had a drug territory. If that is the case, there are other territories. And given that Gus' is suddenly open for anyone to take... I can see Walt being dragged back into the business as the only cook.
4. And related to the territory issue... Jesse mentioned in season 3 that it was stupid for Walt to make $90million worth of meth for only $3million a month. I think Gus was supplying other territories with meth. And if he was, with Gus being dead, those bosses of other territories are gonna be pissed.
5. Saul always seems to know a guy who knows a guy. I have a feeling he's a much bigger fish than the audience realizes. In fact, I'm willing to bet that his whole shtick is too look like a bumbling idiot but he's really the strongest player in the game. He ALWAYS seems to know how to get the players out of their sticky situation.
6. Jesse has no idea about the poisoning of Brock or the death of his first girlfriend... which wasn't necessarily Walt's fault, he simply didn't help.
7. The car wash is perfectly suitable for a meth lab, able to get the chemical products needed to make meth without raising any suspicions of the DEA.
8. With Gus dead, I believe there is a contingency plan in place, likely executed by Mike. The entire chicken chain Pollos Hermanos won't disappear overnight and I highly doubt Gus wouldn't have a contingency plan in the event of his death.

So how will they do season 5?
1. Walt vs Jesse is one angle. An ultimate showdown perhaps. And Mike would help Jesse.
2. Walt vs Hank. The DEA noose tightens... and Walt gets pinned as Heisenberg... so would Walt kill Hank to stay free?
3. Walt/Jesse vs DEA.
4. Walt/Jesse vs "unkown new enemy". A rival don coming into take the territory. I highly doubt it.

Introducing a new enemy at this point would seem like jumping the shark.

In the end, I believe that Walt will be completely consumed by his Heisenberg persona... and he will kill Jesse and Hank to survive but end up with nothing... not even his family... and die in the final episode of cancer.... the only thing that could get to him... the whole reason he even started to break bad to begin with.

jptm

#47 Post by jptm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 am

i was basically just having the debate w/Jasper re:the cliffhanger...

...and I won. :hehe:

wally

#48 Post by wally » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 pm

ellis wrote:
not quite. remember when in Mexico, the cartel told Gus the only reason he wasn't dead was because of his connections in Chile. I think we'll find out more about those now.

ellis

#49 Post by ellis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:45 pm

wally wrote:
ellis wrote:
not quite. remember when in Mexico, the cartel told Gus the only reason he wasn't dead was because of his connections in Chile. I think we'll find out more about those now.
That has crossed my mind but I wouldn't consider them a new enemy. They're an extension of Gus and the writer/creator of the show already said he intends to have flashbacks of Gus in season 5. It's practically a guarantee that we'll see some Chilean story line now. And since Mike used to be a cop, perhaps they'll explore that some more as well. Maybe he's in on the bad side of the law to protect his grand daughter.

Who knows...

I was simply saying a NEW enemy would be stupid at this point. There is plenty to work with as it is.

Hype

#50 Post by Hype » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Jasper wrote:
creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
10? :lol: The airplane collision is but one of the results of Walt's decision to play god. Jane was probably my favorite character on the show, but the idea was that Jesse and Jane were both going to be dead very soon, so Walt made the decision to save Jesse. It's not like it was something he wanted to do. Walt never even saw anything but the worst of her either. She blackmailed him into giving over money that he was keeping specifically to protect Jesse. Jesse and Jane and all that money were not long for this world, no matter what their intentions were. :noclue: Believe me, I was not happy with Walt when Jane died, but I understood the logic behind his extreme decision.

As for tonight, yeah, he sent the neighbor in there, and it was obviously a big risk, but I doubt those guys were going to just shoot anybody who went in there. The DEA or any number of intrusions were likely to occur. Gus's guys were always pretty professional. I think he got just what he was hoping for - that she'd disturb them so they'd become visible. Yeah, the visibility could have resulted from them shooting her, but then they'd most likely have had to flee, and go back and explain to Gus that they didn't get Walt because they shot some old lady. I'm sure that would have gone over well.

I'm not arguing that Walt's a good guy or a hero, I'm just saying he's willing to go a little further and risk other people to protect his ass and the asses of the people he cares about, at times when the stakes are extreme. I mean, he could have killed Jesse, it would have been really easy, and I think that's exactly what he would have done if he was evil. That's why he's only...situationally amoral. :hehe:
Yeah, amoralists aren't good people... they don't feel the pull of morality. Evil people are usually understood to be those who know why something would be wrong but do it anyway. Amoralists don't see any reason to think anything is right or wrong.

nausearockpig

#51 Post by nausearockpig » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Fucking brilliant ending!

creep
Site Admin

#52 Post by creep » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 pm

i usually think these things are dumb but this was pretty good

creep
Site Admin

#53 Post by creep » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm

i can't wait for the final season. should start in july. i read this on twitter today from jesse pinkman:
Just read the first episode of breaking bad S5 and words can not express. Shit is about to get crazy. Get ready my friends.

The teaser alone in episode 1 S5 will have you screaming more then when someone got blown up last season.

Breaking Bad will return to your Television sometime in July. Make sure u wear your diapers because I'm pretty sure u will shit yourself.

farrellgirl99

#54 Post by farrellgirl99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm

im so excited. gonna be the best part of my summer :banana:

Jasper

#55 Post by Jasper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Great, a new start date that I can be impatient about. :lol: :neutral:

I wonder if they'll end up doing any of that strange stuff they were talking about, like taking a break in the middle of the season.

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 pm

i read that the season starts on 7/15. just a month and a half away. they will show 8 episodes and then break and show the final 8 in the summer of 2013. i like that idea that it will be stretched out for a little over a year. then it ends forever.

this picture was tweeted from jesse today from the set.

jptm

#57 Post by jptm » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 pm

can't wait... :waits:

creep
Site Admin

#58 Post by creep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Aaron Paul ‏@aaronpaul_8

The final season of Breaking Bad will in fact be a BLOOD bath.
hmmm :waits:

Jasper

#59 Post by Jasper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 pm

dave wrote:
Aaron Paul ‏@aaronpaul_8

Why would he give that away? Maybe to get people to watch. I dunno. That's the thing that worries me - because they thought the show was probably ending, they wrapped it up with Walter winning and everything, which was great, but now because they've got this extended thing, they must feel like they've got to make it go the other way, so they won't be giving it the same ending twice. It seems like they'd have the big temptation to kill Walter, even if they never intended to, and/or they may want to kill Jesse, or kill Walter's family, or something like that. That would kind of suck if shitty negotiations with AMC made them end up changing the intended arc of the story.

Then again, nothing will probably ever be as bad as Jane dying. :cona: :no: :sulk:

creep
Site Admin

#60 Post by creep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Jasper wrote:
dave wrote:
Aaron Paul ‏@aaronpaul_8

Why would he give that away? Maybe to get people to watch. I dunno. That's the thing that worries me - because they thought the show was probably ending, they wrapped it up with Walter winning and everything, which was great, but now because they've got this extended thing, they must feel like they've got to make it go the other way, so they won't be giving it the same ending twice. It seems like they'd have the big temptation to kill Walter, even if they never intended to, and/or they may want to kill Jesse, or kill Walter's family, or something like that. That would kind of suck if shitty negotiations with AMC made them end up changing the intended arc of the story.

Then again, nothing will probably ever be as bad as Jane dying. :cona: :no: :sulk:
i don't see walter, jesse or his family getting killed. you always have to keep the movie possibility there. i think with gus gone walter becomes some sort of kingpin and starts killing fools.

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 am

So this weekend I plan on watching the first 4 seasons again now that I have the DVds of the 4th season. I have to say this and Dexter pretty much kept me sane during the surgeries and shit. Great show.

Deconstruction

#62 Post by Deconstruction » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Breaking Bad is better than any movie that's come out in the last few years.

creep
Site Admin

#63 Post by creep » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

pics from the first episode three weeks away. looks like some shit goes down with mike.

clickie

#64 Post by clickie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm

First 4 seasons are all on netflix
maybe i'll stay up all night and marathon the entire first season tonight
time to catch up :pop:

creep
Site Admin

#65 Post by creep » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:49 pm

clickie wrote:First 4 seasons are all on netflix
maybe i'll stay up all night and marathon the entire first season tonight
time to catch up :pop:
it's worth it. i started watching this year and went through all the seasons in a week.