Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

#461 Post by Matz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 am

cool, can't wait to check it out...it'll probably already premiere here about a year from now

SR

#462 Post by SR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 am

Where can I see this episode online?

Hype

#463 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:50 am

SR wrote:Where can I see this episode online?
http://www.icefilms.info/ip.php?v=204348&

Any of those links should work, but I'd recommend having Ad-Block Plus enabled, and be warned that some of the sites have two or more "download" buttons, but only some of them are real. It's best to install the Icefilms plugin and then click one of the buttons it loads on the site (it's safer).

SR

#464 Post by SR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:06 am

Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Any of those links should work, but I'd recommend having Ad-Block Plus enabled, and be warned that some of the sites have two or more "download" buttons, but only some of them are real. It's best to install the Icefilms plugin and then click one of the buttons it loads on the site (it's safer).
Is all of that hard? Remember I am the grandpa of the boards. :lol: I just saw that AMC is replaying the episode before the second one airs. I really don't want to wait. :noclue:

Hype

#465 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:56 pm

SR wrote:
Adurentibus Spina wrote:

Is all of that hard? Remember I am the grandpa of the boards. :lol: I just saw that AMC is replaying the episode before the second one airs. I really don't want to wait. :noclue:
It can be a little bit tricky to wrap your head around if you're not familiar with it. It's very simple though. The way Icefilms works, you install their plugin for Chrome. It's linked right at the top of the homepage ("ICE Quick Stream 6.3"), but here's the link to the Chrome store link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bl/details

I've looked at the source code and there's nothing sinister involved, it just makes visiting the actual websites the files are stored on easier/safer.

So, install that plugin.

Then go back to the first link and click one of the options (either HD or DVD quality... shouldn't make too much difference). I usually rely on the Billion Uploads links, or Movreel. On any of these websites, you should see a big rectangular black Icefilms window in the top left corner of the page (super-imposed overtop of the actual webpage). There are little buttons to choose from available streaming or downloading options: Flash, DivX, VLC, and just straight download.

Downloading is the most straightforward. It will just download the file for you and you can play it with whatever video player you want. Flash is also very straightforward. It will load in the window like any flash video and you can wait for it to buffer so you don't experience any stuttering.

Give it a shot. I watched it this morning. Great start to the series. Has me wondering why/how he ends up changing his name to Saul Goodman already :nod:

SR

#466 Post by SR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

You so rule

Essence_Smith

#467 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 pm

I missed this too...actually no need to check third party sites, AMC put it up on their site:
:dunce:
http://www.amctv.com/full-episodes/bett ... 898001/uno

Hype

#468 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Essence_Smith wrote:I missed this too...actually no need to check third party sites, AMC put it up on their site:
:dunce:
http://www.amctv.com/full-episodes/bett ... 898001/uno
:rockon: It's a little tricky to get access to these streams for people outside the US (which is why sites like Icefilms still exist), but I do prefer to use them when I can. AMC appears to be available to Canadians without any fiddling with plugins!

For a while I was able to get Conan to stream with a proxy plugin, but they seem to have wised up (so, back to downloading for me). :waits:

SR

#469 Post by SR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Contemptible follow up

SR

#470 Post by SR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 pm

2nd is better

Hype

#471 Post by Hype » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 pm

What was contemptible?

Essence_Smith

#472 Post by Essence_Smith » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Great debut...I didn't think the Saul character had enough to carry a series and my gut tells me I was wrong. Imo it's a great spin-off and I'm hard pressed to find anything about it that I didn't like, though it feels like a slower show...as for it being contemptible... I've had a standing argument with a friend who doesn't like the concept of the "prequel" as he feels it limits where a show or film can go because you already know where the characters will end up, etc. Like the show Gotham that features a young Bruce Wayne, he feels it sucks because no matter what they put the character through he eventually ends up becoming Batman...I always tell him the joy of the prequel is in the journey and not the destination. I'd love to see how Jimmy becomes Saul...Tuco popping up was a nice surprise...the situation with his father, his "office", that CAR (LOL)...we know that the writing is in good hands...I'm just saying I'm doing my best to watch without prejudice...

Juana

#473 Post by Juana » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:19 pm

I just love how they started the show with him working at a Cinnabon as a manager given how he left Breaking Bad shouting: "If I'm lucky, a month from now, best-case scenario, I'm managing a Cinnabon in Omaha."

SR

#474 Post by SR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:38 am

Well, I was referring to a couple of things....first the Tuco scene. Really, yo? Did those kids really say that? It just fell flat...the whole scene. Tuco was symbolic in BB. His death was the catalyst for so much that seeing him sauté tomatoes seemed still born to me.

I went back and watched it. It's laying some great groundwork.

Hype

#475 Post by Hype » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 am

To be perfectly honest, the two skater-kids are clearly playing the same kind of role as Jesse's idiot friends in BB. Vince Gilligan seems to have a signature style that he's reproducing fairly straightforwardly: beautiful shots, intense scenes, cut up by really hackneyed lines and bad jokes. It worked in Breaking Bad, though I remember finding the dialogue really annoying.

One thing that threw me off about the two young guys is that they look like douchey hipster-ish beardo trust-fund longboarders from 2010+, not the kind of kids you'd see skating in the early 2000s (which is when this is clearly set with the flip phones and whatnot). Even their wardrobe didn't look right (the one guy had a burton shirt on, which sort of makes sense, but it's not a style that would've been common back then). With Vince Gilligan it's never clear whether this kind of thing is intentional/symbolism/whatever, but it was annoying. It might be a subtle version of epic theater (like the stupid dialogue) to get the audience to be a bit critical of what's going on on the screen. :noclue:

Essence_Smith

#476 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 am

Have mercy...you guys take this stuff way too seriously...seriously... :lol:

OK...so the bar is set pretty high because BB was wonderfully done. But honestly? I expect more out of literature than I do from anything on TV...can a TV show have the same impact? Absolutely, but the majority of what you see on TV isn't built for the same things a good book is, imo and I think in general my expectations are just lower these days. I think there were flat points in the episodes we've seen so far, but if I enjoy something for the most part I'm not going to spend to much time fussing over the parts I didn't care for. I'm not looking for anything too deep in the medium of TV as a whole. If it's there cool, but I dunno...Breaking Bad has some slow moments too...some scenes I could have done without and some corny dialogue at points...but ya don't throw away a Mercedes because it's got a dent in it... :wink:

SR

#477 Post by SR » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:39 am

I don't know if VG purposely alienates his audience, but it's obvious this duo is a facsimile of skinny and the other, really irritating, badger. And it's just a chat es, nothing earth shattering. I just didn't like them nor tucos return. But we'll see. It's early and I'm jumpy as I thought bb was the best thing eva!

Essence_Smith

#478 Post by Essence_Smith » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

Maybe it's because I actually have known people as dumb as Skinny Pete and Badger? :lol:
I don't think the skater kids were the same...they actually served the purpose of making Jesse look like he had a head on his shoulders to some extent and they are caricatures for a particular brand of drug addict...not that I'm overanalyzing... :hehe:

I know you're just chatting, I just think it's still too early to call it...I liked Tuco's return for the simple fact that against the way he was portrayed in BB he was actually calm and quiet in his first scenes. His particular brand of crazy didn't show itself till later which I was good with...again I didn't even think the Saul character was strong enough to warrant a show...and from what I've read Chuck is his older brother not his father...let's just see if what they've thrown at it sticks to the wall I say...

JOEinPHX

#479 Post by JOEinPHX » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:54 pm

It's been 2 episodes and you guys are already picking every single tiny thing apart?

They are still introducing what the show even is. The story won't even start till episode 3 or 4.

Slow down.

Hype

#480 Post by Hype » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's been 2 episodes and you guys are already picking every single tiny thing apart?

They are still introducing what the show even is. The story won't even start till episode 3 or 4.

Slow down.
I was just reflecting on the cinematography, and general form that each episode seems to take, not the specifics of the story. I expect that to be excellent.

SR

#481 Post by SR » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Well, episode 3 has aired. Don't carry on. :wiggle:

creep
Site Admin

#482 Post by creep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 pm

three in and i'm liking it. not breaking bad great but good. tonight's episode was the best yet.

JOEinPHX

#483 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 am

This seems like it's going to be kind of a dark show.

Jasper

#484 Post by Jasper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Very entertaining. The camping Kettlemans were over the top, but so were the skater twins. Mrs. Kettleman is easy on the eyes.

SR

#485 Post by SR » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 am

I was kind of waiting for the magic realism in the show. Touches with the space blanket and 'did you ground yourself', but.....it's showtime!