Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pure Method

Re: AMC: Breaking Bad

#21 Post by Pure Method » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:50 am

nausearockpig wrote:we've got four episodes to catch up on.

you'll be eating crow, then. perhaps best run of 4 episodes in the series.

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

****** 100% spoilers, starting right now: *******

That was a great episode last night. That last shot - wow. They've set things in motion for intense crazy shit has to happen.

I love the way they've shown what made Gus who he is. The way he tortures Hector goes all the way back to the situation with his original partner in Los Pollos Hermanos. All things are relative, and I can't feel bad for Hector. Hector is a motherfucker. It's a testament to the greatness of the show that it can make you side (temporarily) with someone like Gustavo.

Anyways, I've read that season five will be 16 episodes, and may be split into two parts. That's cool with me.

ellis

#23 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:26 am

The most recent episode was awesome. That final scene... just spooky. As the camera panned away from him laughing in the crawlspace, it was as if they wanted you to think he was in a coffin. And Walts hysteria fueled laugh... crazy!

*** spoiler!! (Just a personal theories on the direction it goes from here...) ***
-I have a few theories on what may happen here on out and the one that I feel is Walt's best chance of survival would be... killing Jessie. Then Walt would be the only cook in town. And he could save his whole family from Gus at that point. "Let them live and I will cook forever."

-I don't see how Jessie would want to side with Walt for anything at this point... unless of course Walt takes that girlfriend and her kid as a hostage or something. Jessie is more valuable to Gus b/c of his angle on the DEA. Jessie didn't sue them or Hank for that matter... so in a way, Jessie is very valuable if the DEA ever catches for anything.

-I have a hard time buying into the idea that Jessie trusts Gus and Mike more than Walt. I think if push came to shove, he'd side with Walt. Jessie is difficult to read right now. Not even really sure where the ricin is at this point. But if Jessie still has it, it's up to him who he uses it on. One angle that Gus may have in his back pocket... and I don't even know if he really knows this... is he can tell Jessie that Walt let his girlfriend die in bed when he took the money in season 2.

-As for the money Skylar gave to Beneke... I wonder if there's still a chance they can intercept that check before it hits the IRS. I'm sure Saul has yet another contact he can cash in on.

-Just like Gus lost his partner way back in the day... perhaps Walt will lose someone special as well, thus thrusting Walt into a vendetta to destroy Gus by any means necessary. This would make their lives parallel each other which I have a feeling is what the writers want to show. If I had to guess... I'd say Hank's wife Marie. She's not too significant to the story that they couldn't finish without her. And IF she were to be killed... that would send Hank into a rage like no one has ever seen. And it would definitely drive him to solve this case.

-Gus... has anyone else noticed how brazen and loose he's become since destroying the cartel? He seems too loose as if he feels unstoppable. When you get like that, you're more likely to make mistakes.

-Other than this last episode, Hank is still trying to dig up info on Gus' past. I think he'll get that info before the finale. I also think Hank will dig up huge info on this company that keeps supplying equipment to Gus. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that THEY are the true meth don's and Gus is just an easily replaceable employee, especially with all the heat he has on him right now.

Jasper

#24 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm

***THIS POST IS 100% SPOILERS*** (This thread is pretty much 100% spoilers)

I don't like to get too carried away with the speculation. I hear what you're saying about Jesse vs. Walt; Walt almost has to consider the option of getting rid of Jesse if it comes down to saving Walt's own family.

I don't think that anybody but Walt knows about the heroin incident, so I don't think Gus has anything there. Gus has used many other things to slowly and methodically influence Jesse. It doesn't even seem like he needs much more, but Jesse could also spring a surprise on Gus, because how could he ever forget the shit that Gus caused to happen to him? That's the real reason that shit turned sour in the first place. Jesse would be dead now if Walt hadn't saved his ass back then, and Walt continued to protect Jesse by refusing to give up his whereabouts.

Some kind of crazy shit has to happen with Hank. He flat-out knows the truth about Gus and the related companies, he just doesn't know the Walt connection. All I know is that things will happen in these last two( (?) episodes, and we'll probably be left with the mother of all cliffhangers.

jptm

#25 Post by jptm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 pm

i think when this season was being made vince gilligan still didn't have a deal on the 5th season yet, so i don't know about the big cliffhanger... could be we get what looks to be a conclusion; but somehow another crazy season emerges.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

i don't think jesse's gonna get killed--he was supposed to die in the first season, but they saw the chemistry between him & cranston and changed it up... and it's kept the series true from the beginning; i.e. the relationship between jesse & walt.

what's gonna happen to mike?

i see something weird coming up w/the schylar (sp?) & bedeke death... but what, exactly? i was wondering when bill burr was coming in the season; he'd hinted at it weeks ago on the carolla podcast.

:blah:

Jasper

#26 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

From what I've heard, it seems like if they couldn't get a proper deal for season five, with enough money to do it right, they were more than ready to take it to a rival station. I don't think we'll get what feels like a conclusion at the end of this season. I think a conclusion to a show like this is going to have a real sense of finality. That's my guess.

ellis

#27 Post by ellis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:43 pm

There will definitely be a cliff hanger. Every season has had one. Season 3 was the best. I couldn't wait to see what happened.

I read an article that suggested Season 5 may be broken up into a part 1 and part 2... so they could sneak another cliff hanger in there and then take a break for a few weeks.

Just accepting the fact that the show is called "Breaking Bad"... I can't see the entire story ending with the protagonist Walt winning or at least coming out on top. If I had to bet... I'd say he dies from cancer with absolutely nothing to show for it (i.e., money for his family after he dies).

creep
Site Admin

#28 Post by creep » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

i just finished season three. i thought season two was great. there was a lot i didn't like about season 3 but it ended great. the things i didn't like were the walter-jesse relationship. the constant fighting and hatred got old. the show works better when they are working together as a team. i also could care less about hank and his wife. i wish he would of died. he was fine the first two seasons but this one he was annoying. the last three epsiodes were great though. easily the best character on the show is.....

saul

ellis

#29 Post by ellis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:57 am

Welcome to season 4!!!
It's been pretty damn good. Slow in the beginning... but this ending should be another great cliff-hanger.

Jasper

#30 Post by Jasper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 pm

creep, you tryin' to catch up before the season 4 finale?

You'll never do it. You don't have it in you, pussy! :flip: :banana:

creep
Site Admin

#31 Post by creep » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Jasper wrote:creep, you tryin' to catch up before the season 4 finale?

You'll never do it. You don't have it in you, pussy! :flip: :banana:
:lol: that is my goal. three done so far in season 4. i like this idea of watching three years of shows in two weeks. mad men up next.

jptm

#32 Post by jptm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

creep wrote: :lol: that is my goal. three done so far in season 4. i like this idea of watching three years of shows in two weeks. mad men up next.
that's actually what i did, too---about a month before season 4 started, i watched the first 3 in less than 2 weeks... & it does suck once you get caught up and have to wait... but, still---to get caught up, it works.

a good *free* place to watch all of 'em online, btw is:

watch-breaking-bad-online.com :wink:

ellis

#33 Post by ellis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:49 am

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:i like this idea of watching three years of shows in two weeks. mad men up next.
Same here. I've always wanted to see that show.

creep
Site Admin

#34 Post by creep » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:32 pm

ok...caught up. you guys are crazy in thinking jesse is going to die. no way they kill one of the two main characters. this isn't game of thrones. i think gus will die on sunday. with walt low on money and no real job i could see next him next season become the new kingpin. his behavior this season and some of the shit he has said makes it seem that he is cold hearted enough to do this now. where jesse fits in who knows.

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 pm

creep wrote:ok...caught up. you guys are crazy in thinking jesse is going to die. no way they kill one of the two main characters. this isn't game of thrones. i think gus will die on sunday. with walt low on money and no real job i could see next him next season become the new kingpin. his behavior this season and some of the shit he has said makes it seem that he is cold hearted enough to do this now. where jesse fits in who knows.
I can't remember all of the discussion, but I hope it didn't come off like I suggested Jesse would die. I definitely think Walt and Jesse will live into the next season, and if one or both of them dies, it would be in the last couple of shows, as the series is mainly about their interpersonal dynamic.

Gus dying on Sunday? I dunno. He either had some random idea, or it occurred to him that he'd been lured to the hospital. If it's the latter, you have to wonder what type of action he's about to take.

ellis

#36 Post by ellis » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 am

I don't remember anyone suggesting he WILL die. I suggested that Walt has only a few options and one of them would be killing Jesse. But obviously, the show couldn't survive without him.

jptm

#37 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:23 pm

so, i'm in canada; east coast... don't have AMC.

besides justin.tv, does anyone know where to watch the finale live? just curious... & jonesin' to watch! i caught it last sunday, but i don't know about tonight...

if so, thanks in advance!

jptm

#38 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:34 pm

got it---justin.tv again to the rescue----

anyone watching right now?

..........terminator-style! :rockon:

creep
Site Admin

#39 Post by creep » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm

pretty bummed now that i have to wait so long now for the next season. it was a pretty great couple of weeks going through all the seasons..

ok.....

spoilers...blah blah blah...

ok...who called that shit...oh yeah me. walt is a pretty evil dude now...killing people and possibly poisoning that kid to get jesse on his side. next season walt takes over for gus. what else are they going to have him do...run a car wash??

thanks for finally breaking me down and making me start watching this.

jptm

#40 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm

jptm wrote:i think when this season was being made vince gilligan still didn't have a deal on the 5th season yet, so i don't know about the big cliffhanger... could be we get what looks to be a conclusion; but somehow another crazy season emerges.
see? there was no big cliffhanger; i was right---you could've ended the whole show w/this ep.

i agree w/creep--what ARE they gonna do for the next season? start making meth again to pay all the follow-up bullshit? blackmail? hank follows up and suspects walt? ..... anyhow, i was right about the cliffhanger deal, and proud of it.

Jasper

#41 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 pm

That was awesome.

Spoiler time starting now...

Walt's not evil, he's situationally amoral. He had his back against the wall, and he gets devious at such times. He must have had a pretty good idea that the kid wouldn't die from however the fuck he managed to administer that poison. It gives extra meaning to Walt's extremely relieved reaction when Jesse tells him that the kid will pull through. Walt must have snatched Jesse's ricin cigarette too, the clever bastard.

Next season? Well...there's still going to be Hank digging around, because he's going to need to make sense of all of it. Walt can be placed at the nursing home. He can be placed at the laundry too. Walt's remission could reverse, and I think he's pretty much lost most of his money by now. He needs money almost like he's starting from scratch. Then there's Mike - how can you have a character like Mike and then just have him fade out of the story without another mention? So, there's plenty of ammo for plot-lines.

creep
Site Admin

#42 Post by creep » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Jasper wrote:
Walt's not evil, he's situationally amoral.
i don't know...what about watching jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit? i watched some interview and the original script had walt shooting her up with a lethal dose of heroin. what about sending his neighbor in to check his house without any regard to her safety? his first choice seems to be murder now for dealing with problems. i want him to be a good guy but he's just not. the guy is probably responsible for over ten deaths.

Jasper

#43 Post by Jasper » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm

creep wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Walt's not evil, he's situationally amoral.
i don't know...what about watching jesse's girlfriend choke on her vomit? i watched some interview and the original script had walt shooting her up with a lethal dose of heroin. what about sending his neighbor in to check his house without any regard to her safety? his first choice seems to be murder now for dealing with problems. i want him to be a good guy but he's just not. the guy is probably responsible for over ten deaths.
10? :lol: The airplane collision is but one of the results of Walt's decision to play god. Jane was probably my favorite character on the show, but the idea was that Jesse and Jane were both going to be dead very soon, so Walt made the decision to save Jesse. It's not like it was something he wanted to do. Walt never even saw anything but the worst of her either. She blackmailed him into giving over money that he was keeping specifically to protect Jesse. Jesse and Jane and all that money were not long for this world, no matter what their intentions were. :noclue: Believe me, I was not happy with Walt when Jane died, but I understood the logic behind his extreme decision.

As for tonight, yeah, he sent the neighbor in there, and it was obviously a big risk, but I doubt those guys were going to just shoot anybody who went in there. The DEA or any number of intrusions were likely to occur. Gus's guys were always pretty professional. I think he got just what he was hoping for - that she'd disturb them so they'd become visible. Yeah, the visibility could have resulted from them shooting her, but then they'd most likely have had to flee, and go back and explain to Gus that they didn't get Walt because they shot some old lady. I'm sure that would have gone over well.

I'm not arguing that Walt's a good guy or a hero, I'm just saying he's willing to go a little further and risk other people to protect his ass and the asses of the people he cares about, at times when the stakes are extreme. I mean, he could have killed Jesse, it would have been really easy, and I think that's exactly what he would have done if he was evil. That's why he's only...situationally amoral. :hehe:

jptm

#44 Post by jptm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

total chess game move by walt; plain & simple... he figured it out and made it happen. brilliant, really. what was funny tonight was that i started watching the stream and i was watching the chatboard and those fuckers called it early... re:bomb, bell... the wholw deal. so, it wasn't that hard to figure out... next season....? walt gets his cancer back... but somehow they'll start making meth again.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... es/?src=tp

jptm

#45 Post by jptm » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 am