Prince has died at 57

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Matz

Re: Prince has died at 57

#41 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 am

very surprising to me. 25 years of this abuse? Wow. You'd think he'd have turned into a dumb weak zombie many years ago but he always seemed so full of energy on stage and very confident and creative

I just watched the Live from the Aladdin dvd which is an amazing master class in live performance, showmanship, comedy, dancing.

MYXYLPLYX

#42 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 am

I'm not buying that 25 years stuff... doesn't jibe with his career arc.

Here's a story a buddy of mine shared, we were both hired to work his "Coming To America" tour back in 2011 for the local shows, my buddy stayed with the tour and continued on for the L.A. gigs...

5 years ago, I was part of the Prince "Coming to America" tour. In May, we did a run of 21 shows in 7 weeks in LA, most of which were at the LA Forum.
As you can imagine, the stars came out every night to see the shows. Everyone from Magic Johnson to Eva Longoria to Marilyn Manson to Whitney Houston (who almost killed me with one of Sheila E's drum sticks...but that's another story).
One of the regulars was Dave Grohl. He apparently was a huge Prince fan and came to quite a few shows. Somewhere behind the scenes, Dave's people got in touch with Prince's people and they arranged that Dave was going to perform on stage with Prince.
So, Dave (being a huge fan) was super excited and bought up the entire VIP section so that all of his friends and family could watch him on stage with his idol.
Late afternoon on the day that the performance was supposed to happen, I was doing my thing, as usual, checking connections and setting the confetti cannons around the stage. This task almost alway coincided with soundcheck. Dave Grohl showed up and was downright giddy. He chatted with a few people, joked and laughed with the band, and waited with everyone for Prince to get on stage.
I'm sure my memory is a bit off, but I think there were about 10 or 15 people in the entire arena (me being one of them) when Prince finally came out of the dressing rooms and got on stage. He grabbed his guitar and Dave hopped on the drums. With the rest of the band in place, they launched into Led Zepplin's "Black Dog."
It was one of the most amazing musical performances I have ever seen. Imagine Dave Grohl channeling his inner Bonham and Prince absolutely shredding Jimmy Page licks!!! And you can be sure that Prince's band mates were no slouches either!
I couldn't do anything but stop and stare and listen in amazement at the talent I was so incredibly fortunate to witness. It was totally mesmerizing. Two of the most talented people on earth performing together in an empty arena and I got to be one of the lucky people that got to be there.
When the song was done, Dave jumped up from the drum kit and was like a little boy. He was so incredibly excited about what had just happened. Clearly, the experience of a lifetime for him.
Prince was just kind of standing there contemplatively. After a couple of seconds, Prince (in his low, quiet voice) says, "That was cool. I'm not really feeling it for tonight's show, let's do it next week."
Dave was dumbfounded. He said, "What do you mean? I bought out the whole VIP section. All of my friends and family are coming tonight?"
Prince just said, "yeah, sorry...not feeling it. Next week," and walked off stage. Dave was stunned and not sure what to do. He looked at me with his hands up as to sort of say, "what do I do now?" I just kind of shrugged my shoulders, not really knowing what to do or say either.
Dejectedly, he walked off stage. The VIP section was empty that night and Dave never came back to another show during that run. The performance never happened in front of a live audience and I got to be one of a very few people that witnessed one of the greatest musical performances in history.
RIP Prince.
Last of the motherfucking rock stars... :wavesad:

kv

#43 Post by kv » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 am

you've shared that before...your friend is very lucky

Cowchips1997

#44 Post by Cowchips1997 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Saw a purple Jeep Wrangler parked in front of a dealership this weekend. Someone thought a Prince sap was going to actually purchase that in a state of mourning. Still there.

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm very surprised that Prince did not have a will. It will be interesting to see what happens with the family members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/arts/ ... p=cur&_r=0
Prince Died Without a Will, According to Court Documents Filed by His Sister

Prince died without a will, according to court documents filed by his sister on Tuesday, potentially causing big complications for that star’s sprawling financial estate and musical legacy.

In probate documents filed with the Carver County District Court in Minnesota, Tyka Nelson, 55, Prince’s sister, said that her brother died without a spouse, children or surviving parents, and that “I do not know of the existence of a will.”

Ms. Nelson’s petition also listed five half-siblings as heirs, and asked the court to appoint a special administrator for the estate “because no personal representative has been appointed in Minnesota or elsewhere.” Minnesota law treats surviving half-siblings the same as full siblings, raising the possibility of a drawn-out family battle.

In the music business, Prince — who died on Thursday at 57 — was known as a mercurial star who cycled through lawyers and representatives frequently, and who often preferred to deal personally with record companies, concert promoters and even digital music services. But that history of self-sufficiency could have severe consequences if Prince did not leave an orderly estate — a strong possibility if no will turns up, several music-industry lawyers and executives said.

“It could be a huge tragedy,” said Howard E. King, a veteran entertainment lawyer in Los Angeles who represented Prince in the past. “You could have a difference in valuation of hundreds of millions of dollars depending on whether the right people get in there to manage the legacy of Prince.”

A lawyer for Ms. Nelson did not respond to requests for comment.

The probate court has not identified an executor, and estimates of Prince’s net worth and of the value of his estate have varied widely. Forbes magazine last estimated his earnings in 2005, when it said that he made $49.7 million before taxes that year.

But Prince’s worth could be much greater now, particularly since two years ago he took control of his valuable publishing catalog — the copyrights for songwriting — and negotiated a favorable new deal with Warner Bros., his former record company. Since his death, Prince has sold at least 650,000 albums and 2.8 million tracks in the United States, according to Nielsen.

Beyond his music, Prince, who was born Prince Rogers Nelson, owned extensive property in the Minneapolis area. Its value is unclear, but Paisley Park, his studio complex in the suburb of Chanhassen, Minn., has been assessed at over $7 million, according to Carver County public records.

Since Prince’s death, music industry executives — including even those he dealt with closely — have been anxiously awaiting word about who controlled the estate, which includes Prince’s “vault” of unreleased recordings. This voluminous collection has long been legendary among fans and collectors, and Prince stoked that interest. “I didn’t always give the record companies the best song,” he once told Rolling Stone.

But who now has the power to make the decisions about the music in that vault is unclear. Prince was known to be exacting in his dealings with record companies, and fought hard to retain as much control as possible.

Ms. Nelson’s petition, which was first reported by TMZ, asked the court to name an affiliate of the Bremer Bank in St. Cloud, Minn., as the special administrator, saying that the bank had provided financial services to Prince and had knowledge of his business affairs.

A bank spokeswoman said it was not bank policy to reveal information about customers, but added that “our sympathies are with family and fans in mourning the loss of a talented musician and Minnesotan.”

In addition to Ms. Nelson, the document lists as heirs three half-brothers, John Nelson, Alfred Jackson and Omar Baker; and two half-sisters, Norrine and Sharon Nelson.

An autopsy was performed on Prince, but its results are not expected for several weeks. A police investigation is continuing.

As fans have swarmed Paisley Park and other musical sites around Minneapolis, the music industry has also been paying tribute to Prince, with executives hoping that the estate is sorted out quickly and managed well. A frequent comparison has been to the estate of Michael Jackson, who was badly in debt when he died in 2009 but had a will; that estate has since earned hundreds of millions of dollars.

“Prince was a major star and a cultural influencer, but he was a human being,” said Kenneth J. Abdo, an entertainment lawyer in Minneapolis. “It comes down to taking care of business. If you don’t take care of it, you’re leaving a mess to the family or the courts.”

Romeo

#46 Post by Romeo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

If the percocet rumors turn out to be true it saddens me that such a private person will have all his dirty laundry aired out and not be able to defend himself :nyrexall:

kv

#47 Post by kv » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:20 pm

at least the stuff today makes it sound like it was from 2009 and not the last 25 years

opiates are a bitch

kv

#48 Post by kv » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 pm

CNN reporting Prince had prescription opioid pills on him at time of death

bummer

Bandit72

#49 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 am

Reports saying that he had AIDS for 6 months before death.

And didn't seek treatment.

Because he thought 'God' would heal him.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Larry B.

#50 Post by Larry B. » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:30 am

Bandit72 wrote:Reports saying that he had AIDS for 6 months before death.

And didn't seek treatment.

Because he thought 'God' would heal him.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Well... he isn't sick anymore, is he?!?!?

( :crazy: )

SR

#51 Post by SR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 am

I have zero judgement where these opiates are concerned. They were prescription pills for pain management. Prince is notorious for his healthy living and has never been a drinker, nor street drug user. God, Paisley is a strict drug free environment.....for the fan parties, alcohol, smoke, and even curse free.

This is a complicated issue managing pain. It is so precarious that it is common to be issued an opiate blocker for just these instances. The OD on the plane resulting in the emergency landing was punctuated by a very short hospital stay.....the doctors wanted to keep him overnight because these blockers only work for an hour. I'll blame Prince for life decision stupidity and arrogance, but not for being in consult with a physician to manage pain. I have seen him twice, and firmly believe that kind of athleticism over YEARS would be just as debilitating as a retired football player.

Juana

#52 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:46 pm

SR wrote:I have zero judgement where these opiates are concerned. They were prescription pills for pain management. Prince is notorious for his healthy living and has never been a drinker, nor street drug user. God, Paisley is a strict drug free environment.....for the fan parties, alcohol, smoke, and even curse free.

This is a complicated issue managing pain. It is so precarious that it is common to be issued an opiate blocker for just these instances. The OD on the plane resulting in the emergency landing was punctuated by a very short hospital stay.....the doctors wanted to keep him overnight because these blockers only work for an hour. I'll blame Prince for life decision stupidity and arrogance, but not for being in consult with a physician to manage pain. I have seen him twice, and firmly believe that kind of athleticism over YEARS would be just as debilitating as a retired football player.
Pain sucks. I have nerve issues from all the surgeries and the cancer and I asked to be taken off of Oxys for Tramadol.

SR

#53 Post by SR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:01 pm

By asked to be taken off, you mean you declined any new scripts, correct?

Sorry, your pain sounds significant.....but your pain isn't my pain or anyone else's etc. The guy was an athlete for 40 years.

Juana

#54 Post by Juana » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:35 pm

SR wrote:By asked to be taken off, you mean you declined any new scripts, correct?

Sorry, your pain sounds significant.....but your pain isn't my pain or anyone else's etc. The guy was an athlete for 40 years.
I told them to switch me, I still have the Oxys in the medicine cabinet as my DR said "incase these do not work" or something like that but personally I stick to the Tramadol since its non-narcotic and blocks the pain receptors and weed.

I'd rather deal with this pain than be dead. So its an even trade off to me.

SR

#55 Post by SR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:22 pm

:tiphat:

Artemis

#56 Post by Artemis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 pm

:cool:

Lots of Prince stuff is showing up on youtube now..

Matz

#57 Post by Matz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:15 am

yeah, it's pretty cool. Hope the full Emancipation album will show up soon, it's amazing

Juana

#58 Post by Juana » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:43 am

Matz wrote:yeah, it's pretty cool. Hope the full Emancipation album will show up soon, it's amazing
That is one of my favorite records of all time.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-pett ... l-of-fame/

This is a cool story.

Artemis

#59 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Wow! :yikes:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/p ... t-century/
Prince’s vault drilled opened and there’s enough music to release a new album every year for the next century

Unreleased music pre-dates the release of 1984's Purple Rain

Underneath Prince’s Paisley Park estate is a bank vault full of unreleased music. Now, according to ABC News, the vault has been opened by Bremer Trust, who was appointed administrator of the estate following the musician’s death.

ABC News notes that Bremer Trust was forced to drill open the vault as only Prince knew the key code. Inside they discovered enough unreleased music to release a new album every year for the next century.

According to Prince’s former sound engineer, Susan Rodgers, the vault pre-dates the release of 1984’s Purple Rain. “When I left in 87, it was nearly full,” she explained in an interview with the Guardian. “Row after row of everything we’d done. I can’t imagine what they’ve done since then.”

It remains to be seen whether the music will ever be released. Prince had no will at the time of his death, and already his family members are fighting over his assets. :no:
I wonder when Perry will crack open his vault of unreleased music. Maybe there will be enough material for a single.. :lolol:

SR

#60 Post by SR » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Artemis wrote:Wow! :yikes:

Prince’s vault drilled opened and there’s enough music to release a new album every year for the next century

Underneath Prince’s Paisley Park estate is a bank vault full of unreleased music. Now, according to ABC News, the vault has been opened by Bremer Trust, who was appointed administrator of the estate following the musician’s death.

ABC News notes that Bremer Trust was forced to drill open the vault as only Prince knew the key code. Inside they discovered enough unreleased music to release a new album every year for the next century.

According to Prince’s former sound engineer, Susan Rodgers, the vault pre-dates the release of 1984’s Purple Rain. “When I left in 87, it was nearly full,” she explained in an interview with the Guardian. “Row after row of everything we’d done. I can’t imagine what they’ve done since then.”

It remains to be seen whether the music will ever be released. Prince had no will at the time of his death, and already his family members are fighting over his assets. :no:
I wonder when Perry will crack open his vault of unreleased music. Maybe there will be enough material for a single.. :lolol:
:lolol:

Seriously though, what for did all of it take? CD's? How much could there be digitized??? And to that, how hard will it be to access?????

Juana

#61 Post by Juana » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Artemis wrote:Wow! :yikes:

What was left out of this article is EVERY concert Prince played was recorded and kept in there as well.

Juana

#62 Post by Juana » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 pm

SR

#63 Post by SR » Sun May 01, 2016 7:41 am

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill.

SR

#64 Post by SR » Mon May 02, 2016 8:47 am

RS's 'lost' cover article/interview with Prince from under 3 years ago....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... y-20160502

Artemis

#65 Post by Artemis » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm

From Sinead O'Connor's Facebook page today:
Two words for the DEA investigating where prince got his drugs over the decades.... Arsenio Hall (AKA Prince's and Eddie Murphy's bitch) Anyone imagining prince was not a long time hard drug user is living in cloud cuckoo land. Arsenio I've reported you to the Carver County Sherrif's office. Expect their call. They are aware you spiked me years ago at Eddie murphy's house. You best get tidying your man cave.