Prince has died at 57

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Re: Prince has died at 57

#21 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:53 pm

From late in the afternoon at Prince's house;

crater

#22 Post by crater » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:06 pm

The story I'm seeing around is that he needed hip replacement surgery.

So he had been self medicating because being a Jehovah's Witness he wouldn't get the surgery needed due to their stance against blood transfusions.

:noclue:

Larry B.

#23 Post by Larry B. » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:53 am

Yesterday on Reddit they were talking about a "blind news" or something from a tabloid, from a couple of years ago, something like "a very famous and beloved African-American celebrity who contracted AIDS in the 70s/80s and who had been taking his medications RELIGIOUSLY [caps on the original, which I assume was a hint to the religious stuff Prince kept going about], has stopped taking his medication because his religious friends convinced him that God had cured him. We cannot say who it is, but it's not [some basketball player whose name I can't remember]"

So I don't know... reports coming in yesterday were talking about Prince having flu and becoming more seriously ill as the days went by.

creep
Site Admin

#24 Post by creep » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:30 am

Larry B. wrote: So I don't know... reports coming in yesterday were talking about Prince having flu and becoming more seriously ill as the days went by.
didn't i read that he played a show just a couple days ago?

the hip surgery/pain meds thing makes sense to me. he is a small guy. probably doesn't take much to overdo it. :noclue:

Matz

#25 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 am

if he died from that and not heroin you would think he had incompetent doctors who didn't advice him very well. Seems unlikely, a guy like Prince of course has the best medical team on the planet

creep
Site Admin

#26 Post by creep » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:43 am

Matz wrote:if he died from that and not heroin you would think he had incompetent doctors who didn't advice him very well. Seems unlikely, a guy like Prince of course has the best medical team on the planet
if it is pain meds/oxy's obviously he was taking more than prescribed. you don't die or need to be rushed to the hospital for taking what you are supposed to.

being rich and famous gets you access to anything you want. most opiate addicts turn to from pills to heroin because it's easy and cheap to get. prince probably wouldn't need to do that. who knows though. we will find out soon enough.

Matz

#27 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 am

creep wrote:
Matz wrote:if he died from that and not heroin you would think he had incompetent doctors who didn't advice him very well. Seems unlikely, a guy like Prince of course has the best medical team on the planet
if it is pain meds/oxy's obviously he was taking more than prescribed. you don't die or need to be rushed to the hospital for taking what you are supposed to.
right :bday: The autopsy's today, it'll be very interesting to see what it shows. My guess is he took too many pain meds. I can't see Prince doing heroin

Matz

#28 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 am

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/22/prince-od-percocet-death/

I didn't know this stuff is so addictive. Now it's easier to understand why Anthony Kiedis relapsed in the 90's after taking these kinds of meds

poor guy, seems like he suffered a lot last week

Pandemonium

#29 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:16 am

Matz wrote: right :bday: The autopsy's today, it'll be very interesting to see what it shows. My guess is he took too many pain meds. I can't see Prince doing heroin
I agree. If you look at some recent clips and photos, you can see he occasionally used a cane to get around. It's been widely reported that he has been dealing with hip and ankle issues for some time, a common problem among aging rockers who were or maybe still are very physically active on stage. It's pretty easy to overdo pain meds like Percocet when dealing with a long term painful injury. I doubt it'll be known for a couple months exactly what killed him, as they'll have to do toxicology blood and tissue lab tests which take time.

Matz

#30 Post by Matz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 am

this clip's amazing. Great guitar playing

Juana

#31 Post by Juana » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm not one to really get down about deaths but this one really hit me. The last time I saw him (SXSW) was probably the best show I have ever seen. I'm sad especially seeing the news of the pain pills.

kv

#32 Post by kv » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:34 pm

i wonder what color his coffin is gonna be?

:noclue:

perkana

#33 Post by perkana » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:36 pm

:lol:

intertwoven

#34 Post by intertwoven » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:02 am

Here's an audience recording of his final performance. Just him and a piano. Pretty sweet.
https://soundcloud.com/talkgoodbusiness ... final-show

Artemis

#35 Post by Artemis » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:59 am

intertwoven wrote:Here's an audience recording of his final performance. Just him and a piano. Pretty sweet.
Listening now...thanks for this. :tiphat: :cool:

drifter

#36 Post by drifter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:16 pm

intertwoven wrote:Here's an audience recording of his final performance. Just him and a piano. Pretty sweet.
thank you

Matz

#37 Post by Matz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:19 pm

thanks

perkana

#38 Post by perkana » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:22 pm

This story made me laugh so hard and made me feel so much better :heart:

Pandemonium

#39 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Springsteen opened with Purple Rain at tonight's show and did a very credible job on the tune:

Artemis

#40 Post by Artemis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:12 am

I don't know if there's any truth (Daily Mail) to this article, but if true, I'm very surprised Prince a "pill man"?? :conf:

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/prin ... 0000-time/
Prince’s Drug Dealer: “He Bought Up to $40,000 at a Time!”
Although toxicology results are still days, maybe weeks, away, more stories of Prince’s alleged prescription drug abuse are bubbling up. Nothing has been proven about anything, but the smoke is definitely getting thicker.

The Daily Mail has an interview with Doctor D, who claims to be Prince’s former drug dealer. Between 1984 and 2008, he claims that Prince was a regular customer, sometimes buying as much as $40,000 worth of prescription drugs at a time. His big purchases? Dilaudid pills (a powerful opioid painkiller) and Fentanyl patches (another opioid painkiller, the drug that’s been in the news this year as the cause of death of hundreds of people across Western Canada because it’s up to 100 x more powerful than morphine and up to 50 x more potent than heroin.)

Doctor D claims that Prince was “majorly addicted” and used the drugs for his chronic hip pain and to help him overcome crippling stage fright.

“He was always a pill man,” the Daily Mail quotes him as saying, “That’s why nobody ever saw him do drugs. He never shot up, or snorted cocaine….He would wear the patch was well as taking the Dilaudid, so it’s the equivalent of smoking while you have a nicotine patch on.”

If this is true, Prince’s past behavior could explain what killed him last week. Doctor D believes the theory of a Percocet overdose. “The problem with Percocet is that it is an opiate mixed with Tylenol – but he would have been taking much more than the recommended dose because he had developed a tolerance to opiates over the years…When you take that much Tylenol it can cause major problems – especially with your kidneys…But doctors would have freaked out if they knew the extent of Prince’s drug problem and wouldn’t know what to do.

He continues: “So perversely the doctors who thought they were helping him may have hurt him by prescribing Percocet. Also if they did have to give him a save shot when he overdosed like everybody is saying – that removes all traces of drugs from your system so he would have started to go into withdrawal and would have had to take a lot of drugs to feel okay again – which also could have killed him. You can’t just stop taking these drugs when you have taken them for so long. But without knowing his drug history doctors wouldn’t have known that. It explains why he was spotted looking nervous and pacing around at the pharmacy in the week before his death.”

Cyril Wecht, an American forensic pathologist (Kennedy assassination buffs will know the name), said to NBC “I would give overwhelming odds that, tragically, this is a drug death…When you rule out foul play, when there is no history of any kind of significant disease, when you rule out any kind of intervention, anything of an environmental nature, you come down to an autopsy that is essentially negative and that probably means drugs.”

When asked about the emergency landing of Prince’s private jet on Friday “‘I cannot think of any medical or pathological condition that fits that kind of scenario, with incredible ups and downs, other than drugs.”
Original Daily Mail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ction.html

Matz

#41 Post by Matz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 am

very surprising to me. 25 years of this abuse? Wow. You'd think he'd have turned into a dumb weak zombie many years ago but he always seemed so full of energy on stage and very confident and creative

I just watched the Live from the Aladdin dvd which is an amazing master class in live performance, showmanship, comedy, dancing.

MYXYLPLYX

#42 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 am

I'm not buying that 25 years stuff... doesn't jibe with his career arc.

Here's a story a buddy of mine shared, we were both hired to work his "Coming To America" tour back in 2011 for the local shows, my buddy stayed with the tour and continued on for the L.A. gigs...

5 years ago, I was part of the Prince "Coming to America" tour. In May, we did a run of 21 shows in 7 weeks in LA, most of which were at the LA Forum.
As you can imagine, the stars came out every night to see the shows. Everyone from Magic Johnson to Eva Longoria to Marilyn Manson to Whitney Houston (who almost killed me with one of Sheila E's drum sticks...but that's another story).
One of the regulars was Dave Grohl. He apparently was a huge Prince fan and came to quite a few shows. Somewhere behind the scenes, Dave's people got in touch with Prince's people and they arranged that Dave was going to perform on stage with Prince.
So, Dave (being a huge fan) was super excited and bought up the entire VIP section so that all of his friends and family could watch him on stage with his idol.
Late afternoon on the day that the performance was supposed to happen, I was doing my thing, as usual, checking connections and setting the confetti cannons around the stage. This task almost alway coincided with soundcheck. Dave Grohl showed up and was downright giddy. He chatted with a few people, joked and laughed with the band, and waited with everyone for Prince to get on stage.
I'm sure my memory is a bit off, but I think there were about 10 or 15 people in the entire arena (me being one of them) when Prince finally came out of the dressing rooms and got on stage. He grabbed his guitar and Dave hopped on the drums. With the rest of the band in place, they launched into Led Zepplin's "Black Dog."
It was one of the most amazing musical performances I have ever seen. Imagine Dave Grohl channeling his inner Bonham and Prince absolutely shredding Jimmy Page licks!!! And you can be sure that Prince's band mates were no slouches either!
I couldn't do anything but stop and stare and listen in amazement at the talent I was so incredibly fortunate to witness. It was totally mesmerizing. Two of the most talented people on earth performing together in an empty arena and I got to be one of the lucky people that got to be there.
When the song was done, Dave jumped up from the drum kit and was like a little boy. He was so incredibly excited about what had just happened. Clearly, the experience of a lifetime for him.
Prince was just kind of standing there contemplatively. After a couple of seconds, Prince (in his low, quiet voice) says, "That was cool. I'm not really feeling it for tonight's show, let's do it next week."
Dave was dumbfounded. He said, "What do you mean? I bought out the whole VIP section. All of my friends and family are coming tonight?"
Prince just said, "yeah, sorry...not feeling it. Next week," and walked off stage. Dave was stunned and not sure what to do. He looked at me with his hands up as to sort of say, "what do I do now?" I just kind of shrugged my shoulders, not really knowing what to do or say either.
Dejectedly, he walked off stage. The VIP section was empty that night and Dave never came back to another show during that run. The performance never happened in front of a live audience and I got to be one of a very few people that witnessed one of the greatest musical performances in history.
RIP Prince.
Last of the motherfucking rock stars... :wavesad:

kv

#43 Post by kv » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 am

you've shared that before...your friend is very lucky

Cowchips1997

#44 Post by Cowchips1997 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Saw a purple Jeep Wrangler parked in front of a dealership this weekend. Someone thought a Prince sap was going to actually purchase that in a state of mourning. Still there.

Artemis

#45 Post by Artemis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm very surprised that Prince did not have a will. It will be interesting to see what happens with the family members.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/arts/ ... p=cur&_r=0
Prince Died Without a Will, According to Court Documents Filed by His Sister

Prince died without a will, according to court documents filed by his sister on Tuesday, potentially causing big complications for that star’s sprawling financial estate and musical legacy.

In probate documents filed with the Carver County District Court in Minnesota, Tyka Nelson, 55, Prince’s sister, said that her brother died without a spouse, children or surviving parents, and that “I do not know of the existence of a will.”

Ms. Nelson’s petition also listed five half-siblings as heirs, and asked the court to appoint a special administrator for the estate “because no personal representative has been appointed in Minnesota or elsewhere.” Minnesota law treats surviving half-siblings the same as full siblings, raising the possibility of a drawn-out family battle.

In the music business, Prince — who died on Thursday at 57 — was known as a mercurial star who cycled through lawyers and representatives frequently, and who often preferred to deal personally with record companies, concert promoters and even digital music services. But that history of self-sufficiency could have severe consequences if Prince did not leave an orderly estate — a strong possibility if no will turns up, several music-industry lawyers and executives said.

“It could be a huge tragedy,” said Howard E. King, a veteran entertainment lawyer in Los Angeles who represented Prince in the past. “You could have a difference in valuation of hundreds of millions of dollars depending on whether the right people get in there to manage the legacy of Prince.”

A lawyer for Ms. Nelson did not respond to requests for comment.

The probate court has not identified an executor, and estimates of Prince’s net worth and of the value of his estate have varied widely. Forbes magazine last estimated his earnings in 2005, when it said that he made $49.7 million before taxes that year.

But Prince’s worth could be much greater now, particularly since two years ago he took control of his valuable publishing catalog — the copyrights for songwriting — and negotiated a favorable new deal with Warner Bros., his former record company. Since his death, Prince has sold at least 650,000 albums and 2.8 million tracks in the United States, according to Nielsen.

Beyond his music, Prince, who was born Prince Rogers Nelson, owned extensive property in the Minneapolis area. Its value is unclear, but Paisley Park, his studio complex in the suburb of Chanhassen, Minn., has been assessed at over $7 million, according to Carver County public records.

Since Prince’s death, music industry executives — including even those he dealt with closely — have been anxiously awaiting word about who controlled the estate, which includes Prince’s “vault” of unreleased recordings. This voluminous collection has long been legendary among fans and collectors, and Prince stoked that interest. “I didn’t always give the record companies the best song,” he once told Rolling Stone.

But who now has the power to make the decisions about the music in that vault is unclear. Prince was known to be exacting in his dealings with record companies, and fought hard to retain as much control as possible.

Ms. Nelson’s petition, which was first reported by TMZ, asked the court to name an affiliate of the Bremer Bank in St. Cloud, Minn., as the special administrator, saying that the bank had provided financial services to Prince and had knowledge of his business affairs.

A bank spokeswoman said it was not bank policy to reveal information about customers, but added that “our sympathies are with family and fans in mourning the loss of a talented musician and Minnesotan.”

In addition to Ms. Nelson, the document lists as heirs three half-brothers, John Nelson, Alfred Jackson and Omar Baker; and two half-sisters, Norrine and Sharon Nelson.

An autopsy was performed on Prince, but its results are not expected for several weeks. A police investigation is continuing.

As fans have swarmed Paisley Park and other musical sites around Minneapolis, the music industry has also been paying tribute to Prince, with executives hoping that the estate is sorted out quickly and managed well. A frequent comparison has been to the estate of Michael Jackson, who was badly in debt when he died in 2009 but had a will; that estate has since earned hundreds of millions of dollars.

“Prince was a major star and a cultural influencer, but he was a human being,” said Kenneth J. Abdo, an entertainment lawyer in Minneapolis. “It comes down to taking care of business. If you don’t take care of it, you’re leaving a mess to the family or the courts.”