Misfits Reunion

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Misfits Reunion

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Thu May 12, 2016 11:03 am

Glenn Danzig, Misfits to Reunite for First Time in 33 Years:

"After years of bad blood, the Misfits will reunite with Glenn Danzig as frontman at this year's Riot Fest. Danzig, bassist Jerry Only and guitarist Doyle are all confirmed to participate in the reunion, billed as "The Original Misfits," which will take place at both incarnations of Riot Fest in Denver and Chicago this fall. The trio last performed together on October 29th, 1983; the drummer for the shows has not yet been announced.
Sidebar
Misfits, Misfits reunion, Misfits cover songs, Misfits cover, MCR Misfits cover, Green Day Hybrid Moments, Alkaline Trio Halloween
15 Great Misfits Covers »

The reunion will first occur at Denver's Riot Fest and Rodeo, set for September 2nd and 4th. Their second appearance will be Riot Fest and Carnival, which will take place in Chicago between September 16th and 18th. The fest's full lineup will be revealed next week..........."

Tyler Durden

Re: Misfits Reunion

#2 Post by Tyler Durden » Thu May 12, 2016 2:30 pm

As an absolute die hard fan of all things Glenn Danzig, I have good and bad to say about this...

First, this is pretty awesome. Not because Glenn requires Jerry Only's bass playing, but because it's the "original" band...it's symbolic and nostalgic. It's what many of us fans have been waiting decades for.

But festival shows? Seriously? Most people at festivals are there for the "event" or "party". Hardcore fiends shouldn't have to endure crazy ticket prices, massive crowds, expensive shitty food, overflowing porta-potties, assholes who didn't follow the band (or Glenn) for years and years, etc. The reason they are playing festivals is (1) it's a testing ground for a potential tour and seeing if Jerry and Glenn can tolerate each other, and (2) festival shows pay off way more in dollars than regular shows on a normal tour. I want a full fledged tour so I (and others) don't have to buy plane tickets, book hotel rooms, and get raped by the festival machine.

The only motivation I can see Glenn doing this for is the money. That's fine...I'd do it too. However, it does bring up a few questions...

Why did Glenn wait so long? I mean, there was the opportunity back in 2002 or so, that Jerry supposedly screwed up because Glenn wanted Jerry to take a year off from the Misfits(TM) before announcing an original Misfits reunion. Currently, the Misfits(TM) have some cheesy ass "Friday the 13th" EP ready for release.

Beyond that, why didn't Glenn reunite the band in the mid 90s? The original lineup of Danzig was caput and Jerry & Doyle were on the cusp of resurrecting the Misfits. Had Glenn agreed to do it then, we would've been spared all of the shit that Jerry has since done to the Misfits name. As well, this might've got Glenn to juggle both Misfits and Danzig, and maybe make Glenn release fewer Danzig albums, while being of higher quality. Don't get me wrong, I like the post-Rick Rubin stuff (especially Deth Red Sabaoth)...but it's simply not as good as the original Danzig band.

Also, this evidently suggests that Glenn would sooner reunite with Jerry Only than Eerie Von (from Samhain and original Danzig). Why?! Eerie was with Glenn for longer. And Eerie didn't ruin the Danzig or Samhain name the way Jerry has done with the Misfits(TM). I just don't get it. I don't know everything that's transpired behind the scenes...but from the outside looking in, Eerie deserves better. Jerry is a millionaire thanks to the Misfits(TM)...while Eerie may as well be pushing carts at Walmart (so to speak).

If they do a real tour, I'll be all over it...I'm a fiend for life.

blackula

#3 Post by blackula » Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I'm surprised this is happening and think it's kind of weak. Jerry trashed this band. My freind has a copy of this contract, they're playing a minimum of 10 shows, Glen and Jerry are each 50% partners and anyone else involved is salaried, including Doyle. I forget the merch split, but expect a ton of new shit. Glen being billed as songwriter on the gig poster is part of the deal and he gets the royalties from all the original stuff. These contracts are almost a year old.

Artemis

#4 Post by Artemis » Sat May 14, 2016 4:09 am

:lol:

blackula

#5 Post by blackula » Sat May 14, 2016 10:59 am

Apparently Glen and Jerry couldn't agree on a drummer so they got someone that hasn't been in any of Danzig's or Jerry bands before and this person is famous. Dave Grohl???

JOEinPHX

#6 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 14, 2016 11:47 am

Josh Freese is most likely. He's in EVERY band. :lol:

Tyler Durden

#7 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 14, 2016 12:06 pm

So here's what we know about the drummer...

1) This guy has never been in any band affiliated with Glenn (original Misfits, Samhain, Danzig).

2) He is Glenn's favourite drummer (likely part of the contract...Glenn got final say), according to Jerry.

3) He is a "family guy" who has lost positions in bands due to his commitment to his family. Again, according to Jerry.

There are kinds of guesses out there right now...

Dave Grohl
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
John Tempesta (White Zombie, The Cult)
Mike Bordin (Faith No More, Ozzy)
Mikkey Dee (Motorhead)

JOEinPHX

#8 Post by JOEinPHX » Sat May 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Josh Freese has like 4 kids. It's definitely him.

Tyler Durden

#9 Post by Tyler Durden » Sat May 14, 2016 3:44 pm

blackula

#10 Post by blackula » Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 am

Apparently Glen wanted Steve Zing and Jerry wanted whoever his drummer is now. Steve Zing said the drummer is not Freese, it's someone more well known that will be announced Thursday.

I'm really hoping it's not Dave Grohl.

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

blackula wrote:Apparently Glen wanted Steve Zing and Jerry wanted whoever his drummer is now. Steve Zing said the drummer is not Freese, it's someone more well known that will be announced Thursday.

I'd be fine with Dave Grohl as far as performances go; he's an amazing drummer. But I would be put off by a bunch of moronic Foo Fighters fans showing up and now getting into everything Glenn Danzig.

Mescal

#12 Post by Mescal » Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 am

Axl rose singing with ac dc, and now Dave drumming with the Misfits.

What is this world Coming to

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Mescal wrote:Axl rose singing with ac dc, and now Dave drumming with the Misfits.

What is this world Coming to

The Dave Grohl speculation makes sense. In the mid 90s, Glenn wanted Dave Grohl to be his new drummer (this was when the original Danzig lineup dissolved and after Kurt's suicide). Of course, Dave started Foo Fighters and Joey Castillo became Danzig's drummer.

As for Axl and AC/DC, I think it's a good fit. While I'm not much of a fan of AC/DC past 1980, Axl fits the mould. GN'R were obviously influenced by AC/DC; they were a throwback band, mixing different sounds from the 70s...New York Dolls' glam, barroom swagger of The Rolling Stones, hard rock and metal sound of groups like AC/DC, the speed of punk bands, etc. While I have zero interest in seeing a washed up, dinosaur band like AC/DC conitinue playing their redundant sound in a stadium or arena setting, the clips on YouTube of the band with Axl are pretty damn good fit.

If GN'R had toured in the early 90s with AC/DC (still promoting The Razor's Edge album) as a double bill (the way they ended up doing with Metallica), it would've made total sense, aesthetically and sonically.

JOEinPHX

#14 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 pm

It's Josh Freese

Tyler Durden

#15 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Six7Six7 wrote:It's Josh Freese
Is this speculation or confirmed?

blackula

#16 Post by blackula » Tue May 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
blackula wrote:Apparently Glen wanted Steve Zing and Jerry wanted whoever his drummer is now. Steve Zing said the drummer is not Freese, it's someone more well known that will be announced Thursday.

I'd be fine with Dave Grohl as far as performances go; he's an amazing drummer. But I would be put off by a bunch of moronic Foo Fighters fans showing up and now getting into everything Glenn Danzig.
Nothing against Dave Grohl, I love Nirvana and respect what he's done after. By his own doing, he's the nowadays "rock dude". I think it adds a shitty celebrity element if he plays drums in the Misfits, that why I hope it's not him. Doesn't really matter though, whoever plays drums I'll have to overpay on stubhub for the NY Halloween show (speculation)

Tyler Durden

#17 Post by Tyler Durden » Tue May 17, 2016 8:49 pm

blackula wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Nothing against Dave Grohl, I love Nirvana and respect what he's done after. By his own doing, he's the nowadays "rock dude". I think it adds a shitty celebrity element if he plays drums in the Misfits, that why I hope it's not him. Doesn't really matter though, whoever plays drums I'll have to overpay on stubhub for the NY Halloween show (speculation)
I love(d) Nirvana, just like the rest of the world. But I never liked Foo Fighters. And Dave Grohl, despite seeming like a really nice guy, has become extremely grating on me...the guy's face is everywhere and he seems to have his hands in everything. Go away, Dave. He obviously loves being famous...unlike Krist, who is way more tolerable (and cool).

Mescal

#18 Post by Mescal » Tue May 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:
blackula wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

I love(d) Nirvana, just like the rest of the world. But I never liked Foo Fighters. And Dave Grohl, despite seeming like a really nice guy, has become extremely grating on me...the guy's face is everywhere and he seems to have his hands in everything. Go away, Dave. He obviously loves being famous...unlike Krist, who is way more tolerable (and cool).
Dave comes across as a nice guy, but I obviously don't know him.

I can't stand the Foo Fighters.

But I loved his drumming on Songs For The Dead

Juana

#19 Post by Juana » Wed May 18, 2016 3:28 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
blackula wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:

Dave and his wife are both very nice, he did everything he could to NOT be famous at a Steel Panther show a while back in Austin.

Tyler Durden

#20 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 am

Dave Lombardo has been officially confirmed as the drummer for these shows.

Doyle has said that they aren't doing any more reunion shows after Riot Fest. And neither show is being filmed.

kv

#21 Post by kv » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:54 am

Cash grab

Tyler Durden

#22 Post by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:02 pm

kv wrote:Cash grab
Exactly. It's a dick move.

Some fans call this kind of thing (one-off shows) "special". I wouldn't say special...it's RARE, but not special. Special would be doing a real tour that reaches a lot of fans (and MAYBE an album) and showing that these guys actually get along. That would be special.

If they only do these two shows, there's nothing special about it. It's just them tolerating each other long enough in order to make the most amount of money possible while exerting the least amount of effort. Festivals pay artists a shit ton; most bands make more money (per show) this way than if they go on tour. And then Glenn can say "See, we reunited. Now leave me the fuck alone", whenever asked about a Misfits reunion in the future.

I truly hope there is more up their sleeve, but I doubt it. Glenn could've done a real Samhain tour and new album but didn't. Glenn could reunite the original Danzig band, but hasn't. God forbid he give the fans what they REALLY want. Would all of these ideas "work"? Who knows? But I think it's worth a shot.

Sure, people can argue that Glenn is an artist and likes to move forward, not backward. But a lot of what he has done since the mid 90s (20 years ago now) has been fairly lacklustre or just plain shit. He's had his moments. But if I were him, I'd have been on the phone to Eerie Von, John Christ, Chuck Biscuits, and Rick Rubin years ago.

blackula

#23 Post by blackula » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:17 pm

They signed contracts to play 10 shows, saying the 2 Riot Fests are one off shows is bullshit hype.

blackula

#24 Post by blackula » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Saw a pic of the set list tonight, I'm retarded and don't know how to post it, lol. Encore is Bullet, Night of the Living Dead, She and Attitude. They open with Death Comes Ripping and close with Last Caress. They play a total of 26 songs and they play everything you want to hear, 138, Hybrid Moments, and most of Walk Among Us.

Anyone on this board go tonight???

Pandemonium

#25 Post by Pandemonium » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:29 am

blackula wrote:Saw a pic of the set list tonight, I'm retarded and don't know how to post it, lol. Encore is Bullet, Night of the Living Dead, She and Attitude. They open with Death Comes Ripping and close with Last Caress. They play a total of 26 songs and they play everything you want to hear, 138, Hybrid Moments, and most of Walk Among Us.

Anyone on this board go tonight???

Solid setlist:

Death Comes Ripping
20 Eyes
I Turned Into a Martian
Where Eagles Dare
Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?
Vampira
All Hell Breaks Loose
Hybrid Moments
Teenagers From Mars
London Dungeon
Earth A.D.
Green Hell
Devilock
Horror Business
We Are 138
Hollywood Babylon
Who Killed Marilyn
Halloween
Die, Die My Darling
Astro Zombies
Skulls
Last Caress

Encore:
Bullet
She
Night of the Living Dead

They play the Hollywood Palladium in November like it's rumored, I'm in.