Aspiring musicians (Let's talk music/Gear/Goals).

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
MicrowavedGerbil

Aspiring musicians (Let's talk music/Gear/Goals).

#1 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue May 17, 2016 4:55 pm

First off, here's an attempt to my first post on this comunity. Going to keep it brief. I was a former member of another Janes Addiction forum that went by xiola.org. it has since been taken down. Not sure if any familiar users hang out here. Anyway i have been a Jane's fan since i was 13 years old. I was truly inspired, or obsessed with them. They were a HUGE part of my life and my reason to pick up an instrument.

I have been playing guitar since i was very young. Dove into a few scenes in the Valley. Did all that great stuff. I have now grown and taken my will to create music to another level. I want to make a statement!

I'm creating this topic in hopes to bring together members of this comunity who have similiar goals and share our stories and experiences. Let's talk Music, Gear and many other things! I play a Jackson Dinky; what's your instrument of choice?

creep
Site Admin

Re: Aspiring musicians (Let's talk music/Gear/Goals).

#2 Post by creep » Tue May 17, 2016 4:59 pm

pretty sure everyone here posted at xiola. this place rose from the ashes of the sonny meltdown.

as far as the musician thing...that's where i leave this thread. i played snare drum in 4th grade and recorder in third.

MicrowavedGerbil

#3 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue May 17, 2016 5:02 pm

'Creep'... Somehow so familiar. I was relatively unknown in xiola because i mostly lurked but i kinda missed the place.

Juana

#4 Post by Juana » Tue May 17, 2016 6:27 pm

MicrowavedGerbil wrote:'Creep'... Somehow so familiar. I was relatively unknown in xiola because i mostly lurked but i kinda missed the place.
Yeah like Creep said probably 99% of this place posted at Xiola.

Anyway I play guitar, bass, piano, and a few other things.

Guitar I play mostly Gibson, PRS, with an occasional Tele here and there. Usually thru my Orange DD50, JCM800, an Ace Pepper amp I commissioned, or a Jet City Combo I practice on. Pedals I have a shit ton. (Acoustic shit I have a couple of Martins a D-15 and a DXM for taking places and drinking/playing with friends)

Bass whatever works for me but I prefer Fender Ps

Piano I have an old Baldwin upright I play on.

MicrowavedGerbil

#5 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue May 17, 2016 6:59 pm

I really want to switch to Orange! I've grown tired of Marshall. It is so unreliable in my experience and i want to build my own arsenal with good pedals. I'm tired of hipster preset tube amps. i'd really also love to get myself a telecaster at a good deal cause they are pretty damn expensive. For my budget at least. You've got yourself a good set of Guitars.. You got music written?

Mescal

#6 Post by Mescal » Tue May 17, 2016 10:39 pm

I play bass. And if Larry wants me to, I'll play the guitar.

I've been playing on a Music Man Stingray for +- 20 years, and it's just my bass. I have never liked playing on another bass. I tried a jazz bass and even though I like the sound, the playability of my MM is just way better. I've had it signed by the Kyuss members (minus Josh Homme - so if anyone can hook me up).

I have a vintage 1969 SVT blueline Ampeg head and play it through a homemade 4 x 15 inch cabinet, similar to the Acoustic 408.

I only use a few pedals, a Full Tone Bass Drive, a wah wah pedal and a chorus. Never really felt the need for any other. In the end, I'm just the bass player

MicrowavedGerbil

#7 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 pm

Mescal wrote: In the end, I'm just the bass player
That is because you choose to only be the bass player. I actually met billy corgan at a record store in Sherman Oaks. My cousin who is a bass player was with me that day and after he took a picture with him he had asked billy what tips he has for him to be a stand out bass player in a band, billy said "If you really want to make an impression, get yourself a pitchshifter, Octave pedal and a Roland speaker to run them through". I have no fucking clue what he meant but it must work. Guys a fucking genius.

Mescal

#8 Post by Mescal » Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 am

Yeah well, I don't play in Muse

Mescal

#9 Post by Mescal » Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 am

And yes I chose to be a bass player. Always been.

I'm not a failed guitarist who turned to bass

MicrowavedGerbil

#10 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 1:25 pm

Didn't mean it in that way. I'm sure you're a great bass player.
Anybody in bands that can share links to their music? Or anybody got YouTube covers?

kv

#11 Post by kv » Wed May 18, 2016 3:14 pm

What was your xiola name? I sorta remember a valley kid who rocked in a garage with their Cousin

As for me I hit drums with sticks..DW maples with zildjian A's cymbols DW hardware....though I am mostly on rolands at different studios at friends houses and on a birch kit in one band.

Welcome back

kv

#12 Post by kv » Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Aspiring... I guess I missed the header...wrong thread for me lol

I just wanna play music these days I don't care about shows or direction..my only drive is to play. create. capture and next when I was a kid one of my bands would get played on kxlu a bit and we'd play out... That's as big time as I ever wanted since I first heard janes on kxlu

Hollywood was very pay to play at the time which seemed lame to us or we would have play the whiskey and stuff...instead we stayed local South bay where at least we made beer money

Now music is like PMS to me...if I don't play music every week I turn into a grumpy bitch...my aspiration is to avoid that lol

Cowchips1997

#13 Post by Cowchips1997 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:43 pm

Five string Fender banjo player. Not aspiring, but love to play and try to master. An instrument not just for bluegrass anymore.

MicrowavedGerbil

#14 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 3:49 pm

I don't really remember my username I think it was just my name IvanRupee.
Lol and Nahh, The thread aint limited to just what the title says. But yeah, me and my cousin still write. We just hate the valley scene for what it has become. Just a bunch of hipsters who think playing drop g with bass strings on their guitars 2 beats per minute and calling it "B3at Down" makes them great.

MicrowavedGerbil

#15 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Cowchips1997 wrote:Five string Fender banjo player. Not aspiring, but love to play and try to master. An instrument not just for bluegrass anymore.
Never touched a banjo in my life. Seems so difficult.

MicrowavedGerbil

#16 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Hollywood was very pay to play at the time which seemed lame to us or we would have play the whiskey and stuff...instead we stayed local South bayl
What was your band like? I sold my old games to a thrift shop for beer money. I was poor.

kv

#17 Post by kv » Wed May 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Indy lowfi ween vs archers of loaf vs pavement

Pretty much same sorta stuff I play today...sorta pavement vs gbv with more surf vib..lowfi for life.....less punk more chill the older I get...prob like everyone else :lolol:

MicrowavedGerbil

#18 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 4:22 pm

That's a mouthful.. Of course me being of a younger generation I play some atmospheric post-hardcore.. pretty chill. Dark but also creative like incubus. Oasis is a huge inspiration for me as well. Those fucking Gallahgers.
Sound over skill kind of guy you know? Id love to share music but I haven't recorded yet.

kv

#19 Post by kv » Wed May 18, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm curious how did you even find this place? We are so off the map these days

blackula

#20 Post by blackula » Wed May 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Like Mescal I'm all about Stingray and Ampeg. I play a 5 string bass. From 20-27 I was in bands, put out records and toured a lot. We took it as far as we could. Our last tour was opening for Converge and everything fell apart at the end. Now I'm 37 and have 3 kids. I just filled in and played a show for the first time in 5 years for my friend's grindy punk band which was fun and I'm writing songs with some freinds to record and maybe play a few shows. It's hard to schedule things nowadays with work and family. My friend's band I just played a show with practices 10-12 twice a week. It after my kid's bedtime and I can get 6 hours of sleep. These are the silly things I never worried about 10 years ago.

MicrowavedGerbil

#21 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

blackula wrote:Like Mescal I'm all about Stingray and Ampeg. I play a 5 string bass. From 20-27 I was in bands, put out records and toured a lot. We took it as far as we could. Our last tour was opening for Converge and everything fell apart at the end. Now I'm 37 and have 3 kids. I just filled in and played a show for the first time in 5 years for my friend's grindy punk band which was fun and I'm writing songs with some freinds to record and maybe play a few shows. It's hard to schedule things nowadays with work and family. My friend's band I just played a show with practices 10-12 twice a week. It after my kid's bedtime and I can get 6 hours of sleep. These are the silly things I never worried about 10 years ago.
You see i've never toured nor really played a show in my life. I was all about sitting in front of Cubase and just recording riffs left and right. I just liked the idea of recording music. Maybe I want to be a producer who knows. I actually have a child due in 4 weeks. My first and hopefully only child. Im trying my hardest to not have to put my dreams on hold. I really have that drive and talent to make something of myself with my playing... but at the same time i cant really see myself leaving my son and girlfriend behind for months on a full time touring band.. I dont want to give up.. but im torn between family and dreams.

MicrowavedGerbil

#22 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

kv wrote:I'm curious how did you even find this place? We are so off the map these days

I actually discovered aintnoright.com back in 2006-7 ish. when my interest in Jane's was at it's peak!
I was in school with a friend who liked them as much as me and in computer class we searched them up. That site came up. Xiola went down, I remembered aintnoright.com and looked it up. wasn't a thing anymore.. earlier this year tried again and now its... org? :noclue:

Mescal

#23 Post by Mescal » Wed May 18, 2016 9:45 pm

posted this recently.

Kv didn't like it.

Our drummer left in the meantime

www.vi.be/beatenbyhippies

MicrowavedGerbil

#24 Post by MicrowavedGerbil » Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 pm

That's not bad at all. Sounds like STP.. The lyrics are just cheesy and straight forward hahaha

kv

#25 Post by kv » Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 pm

That's pretty much what I said...sorta

Love ya mes :pat: