Preacher

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Pandemonium

Preacher

#1 Post by Pandemonium » Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 pm

What a disappointment.

nausearockpig

Re: Preacher

#2 Post by nausearockpig » Mon May 23, 2016 3:18 pm

It's apparently going to be pretty different to the comics, and the first season is stories based on the town-folk.. you know, the ones who all died in the first issue.... sigh...

Artemis

#3 Post by Artemis » Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 pm

I didn't think the first episode was all that good, but I'll watch one or two more episodes to see if I'll stick with it. I have no idea bout the original comic, so no comment on that.

Pandemonium

#4 Post by Pandemonium » Wed May 25, 2016 8:15 pm

nausearockpig wrote:It's apparently going to be pretty different to the comics, and the first season is stories based on the town-folk.. you know, the ones who all died in the first issue.... sigh...
Yeah, that was a big negative for me right off the bat - focusing the entire episode on the boring crap to do with the superfluous locals and that lame sub-plot with the single mom. I didn't expect the show to stick to the letter of the comic but most of the changes (Cassidy's intro via the silly fight on the plane with the "vampire hunters") weren't improvements over the comic. The casting of the leads is all over the map, especially the actress playing Tulip. I guess that guy who eats teabags is supposed to be Starr. And wtf - Cassidy is harder to understand than Arseface?!? The ending with Jesse making that big claim he's gonna stay a Preacher for the town was the capper. One of the big points of the comics was the group traveling the US

For me, the Preacher series (and to a lesser extent, Planetary) was about the last hurrah for comics. I'll give the show a few more episodes before I completely write it off but I was really let down by the opener.

nausearockpig

#5 Post by nausearockpig » Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Pandemonium wrote:
nausearockpig wrote:It's apparently going to be pretty different to the comics, and the first season is stories based on the town-folk.. you know, the ones who all died in the first issue.... sigh...
Yeah, that was a big negative for me right off the bat - focusing the entire episode on the boring crap to do with the superfluous locals and that lame sub-plot with the single mom. I didn't expect the show to stick to the letter of the comic but most of the changes (Cassidy's intro via the silly fight on the plane with the "vampire hunters") weren't improvements over the comic. The casting of the leads is all over the map, especially the actress playing Tulip. I guess that guy who eats teabags is supposed to be Starr. And wtf - Cassidy is harder to understand than Arseface?!? The ending with Jesse making that big claim he's gonna stay a Preacher for the town was the capper. One of the big points of the comics was the group traveling the US

For me, the Preacher series (and to a lesser extent, Planetary) was about the last hurrah for comics. I'll give the show a few more episodes before I completely write it off but I was really let down by the opener.
yeah if you watch the Outcast pilot it pretty much follows the comics and is very well done... I get that the budget for Preacher would probably need to be higher for the content of the comic, but not THAT much more than it currently is.. I reckon it's a cop out.

Cowchips1997

#6 Post by Cowchips1997 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Finally got around to watching Preacher and will give another try. He is a interesting, flawed character and I am not familiar with the comic book.