R.E.M. (1980 - 2011)

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Tyler Durden

R.E.M. (1980 - 2011)

#1 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 am

R.E.M. wrote:To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening.

MIKE

"During our last tour, and while making Collapse Into Now and putting together this greatest hits retrospective, we started asking ourselves, 'what next'? Working through our music and memories from over three decades was a hell of a journey. We realized that these songs seemed to draw a natural line under the last 31 years of our working together."

"We have always been a band in the truest sense of the word. Brothers who truly love, and respect, each other. We feel kind of like pioneers in this--there's no disharmony here, no falling-outs, no lawyers squaring-off. We've made this decision together, amicably and with each other's best interests at heart. The time just feels right."

MICHAEL

"A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave.' We built something extraordinary together. We did this thing. And now we're going to walk away from it."

"I hope our fans realize this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way."

"We have to thank all the people who helped us be R.E.M. for these 31 years; our deepest gratitude to those who allowed us to do this. It's been amazing."

PETER

"One of the things that was always so great about being in R.E.M. was the fact that the records and the songs we wrote meant as much to our fans as they did to us. It was, and still is, important to us to do right by you. Being a part of your lives has been an unbelievable gift. Thank you."

"Mike, Michael, Bill, Bertis, and I walk away as great friends. I know I will be seeing them in the future, just as I know I will be seeing everyone who has followed us and supported us through the years. Even if it's only in the vinyl aisle of your local record store, or standing at the back of the club: watching a group of 19 year olds trying to change the world."
http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=1446

:sad:

Larry B.

Re: R.E.M. (1980 - 2011)

#2 Post by Larry B. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:51 am

most
overrated
band
ever

creep
Site Admin

#3 Post by creep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:58 am

they will do the reunion tour in about five years. i didn't like their recent stuff but monster was easily their best album.

Matz

#4 Post by Matz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:03 pm

don't really know em that well, but they have some good songs for sure

Jasper

#5 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Not gonna lie, I'm somewhere between not giving a shit and being glad.

I remember one time Michael Stipe said in an interview that The Beatles were nothing but elevator music. That was especially rich.

Good riddance.

***EDIT***
"I've always referred to the Beatles as elevator music because that's exactly what they were. I've never sat down and listened to a Beatles record from beginning to end. Those guys didn't mean a f--king thing to me."

sinep

#6 Post by sinep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:02 pm

coachella 2015

ellis

#7 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:09 pm

it's the end of the band as we know it...

Tyler Durden

#8 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Jasper wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm somewhere between not giving a shit and being glad.

I remember one time Michael Stipe said in an interview that The Beatles were nothing but elevator music. That was especially rich.

Good riddance.

***EDIT***
"I've always referred to the Beatles as elevator music because that's exactly what they were. I've never sat down and listened to a Beatles record from beginning to end. Those guys didn't mean a f--king thing to me."
I'm familiar with that quote. Everyone has their own opinion...even rock stars. Glenn Danzig hates The Who, Henry Rollins hates U2, Kurt Cobain hated Pearl Jam, etc. Hell, Rollins went on record for hating Jane's Addiction at one time. There are plenty of people who I love in some capacity (family, friends, celebrities I have never met) who despise things I think are great (and vice versa). Michale Stipe's opinion of The Beatles doesn't change me liking R.E.M.

P.S. I hate Van Halen but I still like Pandemonium. :lol:

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I think the band sucks balls, but even though I think they're purveyors of mealy gruel, I have the intellect and grace to admit that they had a few well-crafted songs, regardless of their namby pamby style. Not so with Michael Stipe, who's proud of his ignorance, and always happy to get some attention however he can, even by saying something as ludicrous and hypocritical as he did. So including that quote was just an extra - a way to illustrate how Michael Stipe, as a person, is a massive douche. It's certainly not an isolated incident.

Either way, good riddance to the band. I know they'll live on in radioland, played back-to-back with Billy Joel. In a few decades they'll be among the music of choice in nursing homes, if they aren't already.

:tiphat:

Larry B.

#10 Post by Larry B. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Jasper wrote:I think the band sucks balls

Tyler Durden

#11 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Jasper wrote:I think the band sucks balls, but even though I think they're purveyors of mealy gruel, I have the intellect and grace to admit that they had a few well-crafted songs, regardless of their namby pamby style. Not so with Michael Stipe, who's proud of his ignorance, and always happy to get some attention however he can, even by saying something as ludicrous and hypocritical as he did. So including that quote was just an extra - a way to illustrate how Michael Stipe, as a person, is a massive douche. It's certainly not an isolated incident.

Either way, good riddance to the band. I know they'll live on in radioland, played back-to-back with Billy Joel. In a few decades they'll be among the music of choice in nursing homes, if they aren't already.

:tiphat:
While I agree to some degree with your assessment of Michale Stipe's opinion(s) and behaviour...when you then say things like R.E.M. will be played alongside Billy Joel, YOU then sound ignorant. IF they aren't being played back-to-back with him already, they probably will be...not because they are uncool (as you are obviously implying), but because their appeal and influence on the culture runs wide and deep.

Just to name a few, they've influenced the likes of Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Nirvana, U2, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, The Replacements, The Smiths, The Waterboys, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Pavement, and so on.

Your opinion of R.E.M. is barely less absurd than Stipe's opinion of The Beatles.

Larry B.

#12 Post by Larry B. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:Just to name a few, they've influenced the likes of Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Nirvana, U2, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, The Replacements, The Smiths, The Waterboys, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Pavement, and so on.
:hs:

"Influence"? Being contemporary and not being ridiculed by other bands doesn't mean "influence". Bono has said how much he likes R.E.M., but Bono has said he likes almost anything. The Butthole Surfers sprayed offensive remarks on Michale's van. And... I don't know... influencing Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam?

Anyhow, some bands I've been in have influenced other bands, and they haven't been precisely brilliant.

Tyler Durden

#13 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Larry B. wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:Just to name a few, they've influenced the likes of Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Nirvana, U2, Dinosaur Jr., Husker Du, The Replacements, The Smiths, The Waterboys, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Pavement, and so on.
:hs:

"Influence"? Being contemporary and not being ridiculed by other bands doesn't mean "influence". Bono has said how much he likes R.E.M., but Bono has said he likes almost anything. The Butthole Surfers sprayed offensive remarks on Michale's van. And... I don't know... influencing Sonic Youth and Pearl Jam?

Anyhow, some bands I've been in have influenced other bands, and they haven't been precisely brilliant.
I could school you on how wrong you are, Larry...but I seriously don't care to. :noclue:

Larry B.

#14 Post by Larry B. » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Speaking of school... today, a girl told me "you should get your history lessons straight... without R.E.M., there'd be no College Rock!"

I said "I know they're a symbol of that style... that doesn't take away from the fact that they suck balls. Pinochet is on some history books and roughly 45% of the Chilean population wanted him on the power, but it doesn't mean he was a great anything."

kv

#15 Post by kv » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

college rock was around and just fine before rem

Hokahey
Site Admin

#16 Post by Hokahey » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 pm

WTF is going on in this thread? Michael Stipe is a genius. REM is amazing. I thought anyone with half way decent taste at least respected REM. Most overrated band ever is Radiohead. I saw them open for REM and was bored half to tears until REM came on.

ellis

#17 Post by ellis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

hokahey wrote:WTF is going on in this thread? Michael Stipe is a genius. REM is amazing. I thought anyone with half way decent taste at least respected REM. Most overrated band ever is Radiohead. I saw them open for REM and was bored half to tears until REM came on.
blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:waits:

Tyler Durden

#18 Post by Tyler Durden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

hokahey wrote:WTF is going on in this thread? Michael Stipe is a genius. REM is amazing. I thought anyone with half way decent taste at least respected REM.
Thank you.

Artemis

#19 Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I wasn't a huge R.E.M. fan but owned a few of their albums and saw them live twice. One of my fave albums is Green. I lost interest after Automatic for the People.

I think it's cool that the band know when it's time to fold.

About 4 years I go was in Athens,GA and went to Weaver D's for a meal and bought a t shirt.

Essence_Smith

#20 Post by Essence_Smith » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I definitely own a few REM records, and they first caught my notice with of course Stand back in the late 80's...they're monsters whether you like em or not...I wouldn't compare em to anyone, their influence is huge, they are in class with a few bands I view as "artists", they never were really commercial in my eyes despite making a lot of money and while I haven't paid much attention to em in the last decade some of their songs from 15-20 years ago I still hear and love...I'm glad they decided to end it amicably, but I always thought they were done since the drummer left...not a huge fan but definitely they get much respect...

guysmiley

#21 Post by guysmiley » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Bummer. I always liked the band. I have a friend who is their biggest fan, hate to break this to him, but I think everyone knew it was coming.

drifter

#22 Post by drifter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 pm

years ago i bought tickets a few months in advance to see r.e.m. here in vegas playing at the thomas and mack at unlv. a week before the show big audio dynamite popped up and were going to play the same night as rem at the hard rock. i knew this was going to be a once in a life time for me to see mick jones so i favored seeing b.a.d. that night. i was so geeked out i walked around the hard rock, where they were going to play that day, to see if i could see mick. low and behold, as i was walking around one by one single filed, the rem guys walked right passed me, as michael walked pass i asked if i could shake his hand he said, what, oh yeah. (guess they where staying at the h.r.hotel) i wasnt going to be able to see r.e.m. that night but i thought it was so cool i ironicly bumped into them which made up for loosing the money on their tickets

michael looked fail being a vegaterian and smelled to high heaven because he conserves water not wanting to waste earths resources.

sinep

#23 Post by sinep » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm

they were alright. i sing along every time they come on the radio.

i think karma chameleon is my favorite song of theirs.

Larry B.

#24 Post by Larry B. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 am

:lol: :lol:

cursed male

#25 Post by cursed male » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks for the memories R.E.M.! The early 90s ones. May you rest in peace [until you make the inevitable live comeback which leads to a new album].