MetallicA

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
Bandit72

Re: MetallicA

#21 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:14 am

Before I watched that I should have bet my house that Lars would have jumped off his seat right at the end of the song. Like he does after every fucking song. SIT down mate, you're the drummer.

Mescal

#22 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Bandit72 wrote:Before I watched that I should have bet my house that Lars would have jumped off his seat right at the end of the song. Like he does after every fucking song. SIT down mate, you're the drummer.
He ’s enthusiastic! Why shouldn’t he stand up

Mescal

#23 Post by Mescal » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:07 pm

For the record, I think it sounds like a throwaway song from one of their old albums. Not bad, but they’ve done it better. Not hit single material

Bandit72

#24 Post by Bandit72 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Mescal wrote:
Bandit72 wrote:Before I watched that I should have bet my house that Lars would have jumped off his seat right at the end of the song. Like he does after every fucking song. SIT down mate, you're the drummer.
I remember seeing them at Wembley Stadium about 9 years ago and after every song he jumped off his stool and either walked to the front of the stage, climbed on his kit or walked off stage, for whatever reason. I still think he has small man syndrome and is very much an attention seeker.

clickie

#25 Post by clickie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm now reading all your guys posts in Lars's voice .

Matz

#26 Post by Matz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:34 pm

Bandit72 wrote:
Mescal wrote:
I remember seeing them at Wembley Stadium about 9 years ago and after every song he jumped off his stool and either walked to the front of the stage, climbed on his kit or walked off stage, for whatever reason. I still think he has small man syndrome and is very much an attention seeker.
big time :nod: It's a bit pathetic. But at the same time he can be a really cool guy too

clickie

#27 Post by clickie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Is it considered taboo to use a pick nowadays when playing bass? Just wondering.

Pandemonium

#28 Post by Pandemonium » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Live, Hardwired sounds much better. Like it's been said, it's no Master Of Puppets or even Fuel, but it rocks decently enough. I remember when the much reviled St Anger came out, I bought the deluxe version with the live-in-studio play through of the album and it sounded so much better then the album version, I still wish more bands would do that sort of thing.

MYXYLPLYX

#29 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:43 pm

And he would reply, "I'm not a fucking drummer, I'm a rock star!"

:wink:

:hehe:

MYXYLPLYX

#30 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 pm

clickie wrote:I'm now reading all your guys posts in Lars's voice .

It's almost mandatory to be able to do a Lars impression... and not to brag but mine gets a lot of compliments. :nod:

MYXYLPLYX

#31 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Pandemonium wrote:Live, Hardwired sounds much better. Like it's been said, it's no Master Of Puppets or even Fuel, but it rocks decently enough. I remember when the much reviled St Anger came out, I bought the deluxe version with the live-in-studio play through of the album and it sounded so much better then the album version, I still wish more bands would do that sort of thing.

Absolutely. I actually heard most of those songs live first, as I worked the run of fan club shows they did at The Fillmore in 2003 before the album release and thought the new tunes rocked.

Then I heard the recorded versions and was like... :conf:

Bandit72

#32 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:33 am

MYXYLPLYX wrote:
clickie wrote:I'm now reading all your guys posts in Lars's voice .

It's almost mandatory to be able to do a Lars impression... and not to brag but mine gets a lot of compliments. :nod:
:lol: I'd love to see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually an admirer of a lot of the stuff he's done with the band, I just think he is like a kid in a sweet shop even at 52 years old.

This is what I imagine someone doing an impression of him would look like. He's 23 here (looking like a 14 year old) laughing at everything he says.

janesbiggestfan

#33 Post by janesbiggestfan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:42 am

This is actually a pretty interesting thing...

I've heard Dave say about 10 times something to the effect of "man the record was gonna be so awesome when we recorded it and then what came out on the cd is just WTF...."

He said that on dark matter many times referring both to Strays and TGEA.

Im genuinely curious as to what could be the secret for albums which are promising turning out shit.

I find it hard to believe that production or overproduction alone could be the culprit.

Bandit72

#34 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 am

janesbiggestfan wrote:I find it hard to believe that production or overproduction alone could be the culprit.
Yeh, my favourite Metallica album is And Justice for all and I'll be the first to admit it is over produced, tinny and lacking significant bass. Yet it's the songs that make it for me, and I can brush the production aside to a certain degree. The Black album is much better in terms of audio quality, but for me it is overrated. Maybe it's just a taste thing? :noclue:

Tyler Durden

#35 Post by Tyler Durden » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 am

At the end of the day, it's all about the quality of the songwriting.

For example, there are old Misfits records that sound fucking awful, but Glenn Danzig's knack for elevating horror punk into pop heaven forces naysayers to ignore something that sounds like it was recorded in a toilet bowl.

Then there are albums with slick production...but the songs just aren't what they could or should be. Overproduction can be distracting...but if the songs are good enough, it's not a deal breaker. The number one reason an album like Strays is scoffed at is because the lack of great songs, not the production.

Pandemonium

#36 Post by Pandemonium » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:48 am

Bandit72 wrote:
janesbiggestfan wrote:I find it hard to believe that production or overproduction alone could be the culprit.
Yeh, my favourite Metallica album is And Justice for all and I'll be the first to admit it is over produced, tinny and lacking significant bass. Yet it's the songs that make it for me, and I can brush the production aside to a certain degree. The Black album is much better in terms of audio quality, but for me it is overrated. Maybe it's just a taste thing? :noclue:
See, I don't think AJFA is lacking in bass, it's just mixed in such a weird way that you don't hear Jason Newsted's playing stand out in the mix like say, Steve Harris in Iron Maiden as well as Lar's bass drum(s) which is compressed to hell. The bass is kind of mixed into the military-like percussive rhythm of the guitars. When I first picked up the album the week it was released, I thought it was a pretty revolutionary sounding metal album. I think they tried to achieve the same thing with St Anger but it only wound up sounding forced and contrived, comically accentuating Lar's "trashcan" drums.

Bandit72

#37 Post by Bandit72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:39 am

You've probably heard they re released version with enhanced bass.

It is better.

I'm just thinking Metallica always has been James and Lars, so maybe they have the last day? ie Make themselves heard more than everyone else.

SR

#38 Post by SR » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:42 am

:jasper:

MYXYLPLYX

#39 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Bandit72 wrote:You've probably heard they re released version with enhanced bass.

It is better.

I'm just thinking Metallica always has been James and Lars, so maybe they have the last day? ie Make themselves heard more than everyone else.
Pretty much... which is why it's stupid how Lars gets all the blame but none of the credit?

:noclue:

guysmiley

#40 Post by guysmiley » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:10 pm

creep
Site Admin

#41 Post by creep » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:11 pm

i actually like this song. it should have been the first single. much better song.

Pandemonium

#42 Post by Pandemonium » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:28 pm

creep wrote:i actually like this song. it should have been the first single. much better song.

Yeah, much better tune, probably one of more instantly likeable songs they've put out since the Load era. Looking forward to the new album.

Matz

#43 Post by Matz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:00 pm

very good song, shitty guitar solo

guysmiley

#44 Post by guysmiley » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:20 am

creep wrote:i actually like this song. it should have been the first single. much better song.

I thought that kicked some serious ass. :rockon:

MYXYLPLYX

#45 Post by MYXYLPLYX » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:48 pm

:bigrin:

10 more to follow...