Thousands Of Shows And I Still Can't Hear You!

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
phenobarb_bambalam

Re: Thousands Of Shows And I Still Can't Hear You!

#51 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:14 am

This is a fantastic thread - how have I note seen this before. Other than the obvious fact that weeks pass between my visits to these....hallowed..pages.

Panda - going back to your original post from a couple of years ago - you have some amazing notches in the proverbial bedpost. It's funny how the grass is always greener. Growing up in London and being into what I was into, the Los Angeles scene was the stuff of lore; some of these venues/tours are the stuff of legend. :tiphat: That said, you and I have shared a handful of concert rooms in the last decade - nin, FNM, etc.

As for shows, the title of the thread kind of says it. I think I am somewhere between 2,500-3,000 gigs - I stopped counting at around 1,500 and that was over decade ago. For whatever weird reason, I decided to keep all of my ticket stubs starting from my very first show in 1986. They're all archived in photo albums, and I also used to keep a notebook where I wrote down every gig I went to - the gigs during the first 5-6 years even have short reviews written up, also. I chuckle at how green I was in those early days, and so easily pleased. I fell out of the habit of writing the gigs down about 8-9 years ago, but always mean to go back and catch up.

I actually refer back to the stubs once in a while and still manage to get a kick from them. Particularly when I think it comes to the gigs I have managed to make it to in different countries - Australia, Brazil, Argentina, Norway, Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, Holland, etc., etc. To Artemis' point - my most prized tickets in terms of hard work are for Faith No More in Tokyo. I have certainly worked harder for tickets to see big bands in tiny venues (nin Wave Goodbye and Troubadour, lining up for 10 hours for Motley Crue at the Marquee club in London, R.E.M. on Jools Holland, etc.), but getting tickets for shows in Japan if you are outside the country is just about impossible. I had to jump through all manner of hoops to get these.

I hate how tickets have changed over time. And now, they're digital for so many shows, so my archive is coming to a grinding halt. Tickets in the UK when I was growing up and until not that long ago were often beautifully designed, rather than the generic printed shit TM has spewed out for decades.

And let's not talk about set-lists..those are all archived, too.

SR

#52 Post by SR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 am

Pandemonium wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 pm
SR wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:54 pm
Btw, that concert is a bonus on Pretender II (Expanded & Remastered) if you don't already have it. It's insanely good, as you know. The Alarm opened that show and they came out for the cover of Jackie Wilson's ((You're Love Keeps Liftin)Higher and Higher) and fucked up some notes....lol
Ha, small world ain't it? I don't believe The Alarm opened though, I think it was some band called The Bureau. I remember they had a a heavy sax/new wave sound. I'd remember The Alarm, I really liked their first 2 or 3 albums when they were getting a lot of radio play around the mid-80's along with Big Country.

And yeah, I have that 2 CD deluxe of Pretenders II with the show. It's incomplete and the running order is mixed up though, there's bootlegs out there of the complete show in the same quality.
Lol. I'm sure your right. I think I was 15 or so at that show. I still listen to the P's II concert audio a great deal. Would love to hear the boots.

PB, that is some impressive archiving. There is no way my lifestyle during many of my concert going days would have allowed for that level of dilligence :lol:

SR

#53 Post by SR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:35 am

Ok, this is it and then silence on The Pretenders....it was the outro to Higher & Higher they all fucked up....and CH clearly thanks The Bureau on it. :lol:

At the time MC was on Pledge Music and was taking questions I had just read Reckless. In it, she is not kind towards Pete Farndon and fawns over JHS. I wondered about this as I think PF's performance, at east at the SMC, was kinda spot on. He agreed and wondered about the conclusions she had made. And there's this that was one of the best interviews I've heard on Jonesy's Jukebox....
http://www.955klos.com/?s=chrissie+hynde

SR

#54 Post by SR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:05 am

Doing a lot of work on the house and found this...
IMG_4221.JPG
IMG_4221.JPG (96.46 KiB) Viewed 10693 times

creep
Site Admin

#55 Post by creep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm

I found these stubs that I have. I guess at some point I stopped collecting them? Don't judge some of my shows. You know you all liked Frankie Goes to Hollywood. :neutral:

creep
Site Admin

#56 Post by creep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

I think I posted some of these before but a few pics I took before there was such thing as a digital camera. I had to sneak in a 110 film camera and get pretty crappy pics.

Pandemonium

#57 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:52 am

You saw U2 and The Cure during their best eras. Better yet, most of those shows appeared to be GA on the floor. Here in LA in the 80's, everything was reserved seating for just about any show bigger than the Hollywood Palladium.

phenobarb_bambalam

#58 Post by phenobarb_bambalam » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:25 pm

Hats off, Creep! Plenty of envy for some of those show. :tiphat:

perkana

#59 Post by perkana » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm

creep wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm
I found these stubs that I have. I guess at some point I stopped collecting them? Don't judge some of my shows. You know you all liked Frankie Goes to Hollywood. :neutral:

Didn't know you liked DM. And to be honest, jealous of the Frankie Goes to Hollywood show.

Pandemonium

#60 Post by Pandemonium » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 pm

Artemis wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 am
Wow, that is an impressive number of shows you've attended, Panda! Equally impressive is your chronological detailing of when and where you saw all these shows. :thumb:

I'm surprised that you didn't see Queen while Freddie was still alive.
No, I saw Queen in 1980 for The Game tour and in 1982 for the Hot Space tour, both obviously with Freddie.

The 1980 show was at the LA Forum with The Blasters opening. The Blasters didn’t get much of a good reception, not really a good match for this kind of audience. Queen was good, but I was a bit bummed they dropped Fat Bottomed Girls for that night’s set. One thing that Queen did that I’m not a fan of was the played medleys of 4 or so songs. They also didn’t pace their setlist very well, so they’d often build up momentum playing a few good songs then kill it with some lesser tunes or sucky drum or guitar solos.

The Hot Space show in ‘82 was at the outdoor shed Irvine Meadows. That was a busy few days - a Van Halen show, next day Queen, next day another Van Halen show, lol. Billy Squire opened for Queen, he was at his commercial peak and got a good reception. Queen was ....ok. They were plugging the new album which was a huge change in direction from their previous stuff and the new tunes didn’t click with the audience. Brian May played the most excruciatingly boring guitar solo.... this was the last time Queen toured the US.

Btw, sorry it took me almost 2 1/2 years to reply.

Matz

#61 Post by Matz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 am

perkana wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm
creep wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Didn't know you liked DM. And to be honest, jealous of the Frankie Goes to Hollywood show.
I'm most jealous of the Chili Peppers show from '89, you got to see Frusciante when he was the most bitchin' live, after that tour he turned sloppy live