Stone Temple Pilots

Discussion regarding other bands, movies, etc.
guysmiley

Re: Stone Temple Pilots

#21 Post by guysmiley » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 am

ehh. It was good, just weird. Two dead singers. I get they totally have a right to play those songs and continue, especially because Scott derailed them so much years ago. But, it's just done. Call it something else. Well, I guess if anyone needs to cash in now, it would be these guys.

JOEinPHX

#22 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

kv wrote::lolol:
Should they have downtuned 3 steps and had Jeff's wife get up and stick her pussy in his face?

kv

#23 Post by kv » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm

:hs:

i don't want to watch either of those bands try to recreate what is gone

JOEinPHX

#24 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm

guysmiley wrote:ehh. It was good, just weird. Two dead singers. I get they totally have a right to play those songs and continue, especially because Scott derailed them so much years ago. But, it's just done. Call it something else. Well, I guess if anyone needs to cash in now, it would be these guys.
They aren't cashing in.

Cashing in would be doing a tour playing an entire album front to back and charging 90 bucks a ticket. Which they could do, since it's Core's anniversary. But they aren't, because they aren't dwelling on the past.

They are recording, and releasing, a new album with this dude.

They already dropped one new song the day of their first show together, where they played a set featuring a whole lot of NON-hit songs. New album is coming early 2018. They already have 14 songs in the can.
Last edited by JOEinPHX on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEinPHX

#25 Post by JOEinPHX » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm

kv wrote::hs:

i don't want to watch either of those bands try to recreate what is gone
Well it's a good thing that's not what STP is doing then. :noclue:

guysmiley

#26 Post by guysmiley » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
guysmiley wrote:ehh. It was good, just weird. Two dead singers. I get they totally have a right to play those songs and continue, especially because Scott derailed them so much years ago. But, it's just done. Call it something else. Well, I guess if anyone needs to cash in now, it would be these guys.
They aren't cashing in.

Cashing in would be doing a tour playing an entire album front to back and charging 90 bucks a ticket. Which they could do, since it's Core's anniversary. But they aren't, because they aren't dwelling on the past.

They are recording, and releasing, a new album with this dude.

They already dropped one new song the day of their first show together, where they played a set featuring a whole lot of NON-hit songs. New album is coming early 2018. They already have 14 songs in the can.
I didn't mean as a knock. They deserve to make up for what they could never get with Scott. That's probably why they are keeping the name.

Mescal

#27 Post by Mescal » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 am

Ditching the name would be the stupidest thing they could do

blackcoffee

#28 Post by blackcoffee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

having a former nu metal singer and a former reality tv start front STP sounds about right.

JOEinPHX

#29 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:47 pm

blackcoffee wrote:having a former nu metal singer and a former reality tv start front STP sounds about right.
In 2017 do we really give a shit about an artist's past?

How many decades of embarrassing examples have we all come to find? Our generation's music literally gained traction because the artists would stand in front of a camera and pretend to sing and play for a few hours so it could be turned into a music video for MTV to whore out several times a day.

Pantera, Alice in Chains, and AC/DC all used to be a glam bands. Courtney Love was a stripper. Pearl Jam took acting roles in the film Singles when they were a bunch of nobodies. The Beastie Boys used to be a shitty punk band before they started rapping. Henry Rollins scooped iced cream at Haagen Dazs.

When I was a teenager I barely even gave a shit about "musical integrity" but I give oh so much less of a shit in adulthood after reading countless stories of embarrassing bullshit my heroes did to get by before fame.

If they found the guy via a reality show that's one thing (COUGH*inxs*COUGH) but the guy was just a participant on a singing show a decade ago and had shitty music taste in his 20s? Come on. :noclue:

guysmiley

#30 Post by guysmiley » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 pm

AC/DC a glam band? :hs: :lol:

Hokahey
Site Admin

#31 Post by Hokahey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Ah, the annual "6767 irrationally argues with people about how wonderful STP is" thread.

Protip - Core was mostly derivative, grunge wannabe garbage. Purple was pretty fucking great. Tiny Music was good. The rest was hit or miss at best. At least Jane's made 2.5 classic albums + p4p and decon.

SR

#32 Post by SR » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:25 am

AC/DC was never a glam band, but Bowie and Queen were and they never sold out at least until much later into their musical lives and Imam or whomever has control now has Bowie songs covered on some sort of super hero movie now. Queen seems to be doing some sort of money making stuff on the coat tails of Freddy now as well, but hey times have definitely changed. I remember as a young adult, it was heresy for A list stars to do commercials that would air in the states; they'd do them all the time to be aired in Japan or elsewhere but NEVER in the US. It was just career suicide.

There was an art above the monetization of art sensibility, especially for musicians that mattered. TP and Springsteen worked hard to keep tix and album prices down, and more. Artists made albums that were thematically sequential. The artist, or the band worked tirelessly and alone....without teams of producers and songwriters to compile music without filters and autotune to make albums that made sense, if not conceptually from first track to last, at least aesthetically pleasing from first to last (in their estimation)....and they played their own instruments. These elements of construction were fundamental to the construction of the whole and they were important to them.....anything less was fraud, so I think there was an intimacy between the artist and the fan.....any beer or tampon company simply corrupted that relationship; I agree. Not much of that is true anymore; there are exceptions, but most mainstream music doesn't follow the old template.

Personally, never hated STP.....like em, a lot.....even SW.....troubled guy, which I can and do relate to with a phenom voice. and it sounds like they are throwin down hard to put out some new music in the old paradigm. :rockon: As for 67, everytime you post, you seem to want to beat the living shit out of people. :noclue:

guysmiley

#33 Post by guysmiley » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:17 pm

SR wrote:AC/DC was never a glam band, but Bowie and Queen were and they never sold out at least until much later into their musical lives and Imam or whomever has control now has Bowie songs covered on some sort of super hero movie now. Queen seems to be doing some sort of money making stuff on the coat tails of Freddy now as well, but hey times have definitely changed. I remember as a young adult, it was heresy for A list stars to do commercials that would air in the states; they'd do them all the time to be aired in Japan or elsewhere but NEVER in the US. It was just career suicide.

There was an art above the monetization of art sensibility, especially for musicians that mattered. TP and Springsteen worked hard to keep tix and album prices down, and more. Artists made albums that were thematically sequential. The artist, or the band worked tirelessly and alone....without teams of producers and songwriters to compile music without filters and autotune to make albums that made sense, if not conceptually from first track to last, at least aesthetically pleasing from first to last (in their estimation)....and they played their own instruments. These elements of construction were fundamental to the construction of the whole and they were important to them.....anything less was fraud, so I think there was an intimacy between the artist and the fan.....any beer or tampon company simply corrupted that relationship; I agree. Not much of that is true anymore; there are exceptions, but most mainstream music doesn't follow the old template.

Personally, never hated STP.....like em, a lot.....even SW.....troubled guy, which I can and do relate to with a phenom voice. and it sounds like they are throwin down hard to put out some new music in the old paradigm. :rockon: As for 67, everytime you post, you seem to want to beat the living shit out of people. :noclue:
My thoughts too. Kind of reminds me of how stadiums lost their names and are corporately named. Everything just seems to lose it's value these days. But again, AC/DC not glam. I wish these dudes luck. Just hard to be the same fan I was.

JOEinPHX

#34 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

guysmiley wrote:AC/DC a glam band? :hs: :lol:
Oh, sorry, I thought you guys knew your music history.

MY MISTAKE.

JOEinPHX

#35 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm

SR wrote:AC/DC was never a glam band,

MY MISTAKE.

JOEinPHX

#36 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:33 pm

guysmiley wrote:But again, AC/DC not glam.

MY MISTAKE.

JOEinPHX

#37 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Hokahey wrote:Ah, the annual "6767 irrationally argues with people about how wonderful STP is" thread.
This is the first STP thread I've ever made.
Protip - Core was mostly derivative, grunge wannabe garbage.
Disagree. They had all the same exact influences as the other bands at the time. Their album was in the can long before it was released. If you were a pro, you'd know that.
Purple was pretty fucking great.
Agreed.
Tiny Music was good.
Tiny Music was better than Purple.
The rest was hit or miss at best.
#4 was half good.
At least Jane's made 2.5 classic albums
STP made 3.5

JOEinPHX

#38 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 pm

SR wrote:As for 67, everytime you post, you seem to want to beat the living shit out of people. :noclue:
I don't. I'm not sure why you feel that way. I'm just debating my viewpoint as others express theirs. :noclue:

JOEinPHX

#39 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Just gonna leave this here too.

"Not a glam band" :lol:

kv

#40 Post by kv » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm

dude you need outside time :nod:

JOEinPHX

#41 Post by JOEinPHX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:02 pm

kv wrote:dude you need outside time :nod:
I was out there in the sun for 3 hours today, as I am most days.

My tan is pretty fantastic at the moment. :thumb:

Juana

#42 Post by Juana » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:57 am

Six7Six7 wrote:
blackcoffee wrote:having a former nu metal singer and a former reality tv start front STP sounds about right.
Pantera used to be a glam band.
While this is true about Pantera all that changed when Phil joined, Darrell and Vince wanted to be Van Halen, Phil wanted to be heavy. He eventually won out and hence the tension in that band especially with Phil's drug habits especially after those back surgeries. Listen to any of Phil's pre or post Pantera stuff and it is anything but glam.

But I also get where you're coming from people change and as they do so does the art they create.

JOEinPHX

#43 Post by JOEinPHX » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

My point was more about people we respect having embarrassing pasts.

Thus, looking down on a singer for having been in a singing competition is silly.

Juana

#44 Post by Juana » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:21 am

Six7Six7 wrote:My point was more about people we respect having embarrassing pasts.

Thus, looking down on a singer for having been in a singing competition is silly.
Like I said I get where you're coming from. People grow and change.

Hokahey
Site Admin

#45 Post by Hokahey » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:43 am

STP just announced a tour called Jubilee and put Live on the bill.